Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Ta-Wahi! Certainly not because I've completely forgotten what is where and can't remember what constitutes a sequence break.

where the red fern gropes posted:

in a buried box that i have long since tossed out, i had written down all the symbols for all the letters and could read the text in this game freehand

i did not have many friends as a child
Same! On... both counts... But my best friend is also super into Bionicle so it's not all bad. I can still *kind of* read the Bionicle script, but not nearly as fluently as I used to be able to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Ta-Wahi

Might as well explore all we can in previous areas first.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Poke around Ta-Wahi first.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
I hear prophecies, I want to learn more. Ta-Wahi.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Sail to Po-wahi

Though I don't remember anything about where to go and why

ChaceRider
Aug 16, 2009

and above all else, be kind
Oh holy poo poo, I played the gently caress out of this game as a kid. (Thirded on the "being able to read Matoran" admission, embarrassingly enough. I may actually still have an ancient notebook lying around somewhere that had tiny scraps of Babby's First Fanfics written in the drat glyphs. Ah, childhood.)

Anywho, I'll probably be lying low for a lot of things since I remember this game pretty well, but this one's a pretty innocuous vote, so I'll throw one in: I always liked Po-Koro. Huki's cute. But not the cutest, sorry Mako. :sparkles:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Well, now that I know how to use the telescope, might as well check it out again.

Oh, boy. Stairs.

*puff* That sucked. *puff* What's that on the left?

A dream. A dream that I barely remember.

From the heavens, came Mata Nui.

He brought light, and water, and food, and inspiration, and so the Tohunga gathered about him, creating six great villages on the fair isle.

But greatness begets jealousy. His brother, Makuta, could not stand the sight of Mata Nui standing so tall in the eyes of the Tohunga, and sought to strike him down.

And strike him down he did, as he put Mata Nui to restless sleep, leaving the Tohunga confused and helpless.

With Mata Nui asleep, Makuta grew braver, adding fiends and beasts to his army of shadow.

But all was not lost. In his everlasting wisdom, Mata Nui saw to it that in the event of a crisis, six great warriors shall land upon his shores and defeat evil. The Toa.

The Toa gathered, in unison, to perform their duty of defeating the Makuta, and in doing so, fulfilling their destiny.

Makuta's hordes could not withstand their combined prowess.

And neither could the Makuta himself, who was banished from the island. And thus was peace brought to the shores of Mata Nui once more.

... That was some dream, alright. I think I need to get some water.

Ah, yes. The telescope. Let's look at those carvings around the base first.

They're, uh, pretty I guess.

... I don't get this at all.

I guess we can finally find out where those footprints lead.

Inventory: Lightstone

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

I’ve been busy and missed this update: Follow the ominous footprints! There is no way that will go badly

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Nothing to it. Let's follow these big footprints.

Definitely not made by a Tohunga.

Looks like I'm entering some sort of... magma field? Safe.

Uh.... Hello?

Definitely not a Tohunga.

Once I crest the ridge of hardened lava, I see the gates of a city in the distance.

Could turn left and explore that spooky charred forest instead though.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Spooky Forest, or Safe Village?

You know, the answer is obvious. Bring on the Spooky Forest!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Hit up the village first

Might as well get the lay of the land

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Visit the village.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Spooky forest

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

I refuse to make sound decisions! RUN INTO THE SPOOKY FOREST

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I'm feeling adventurous. Let's head into the forest first to see if there's any goodies in here.

The entrance is sufficiently spooky.

Ah, the good ol' crosses in the bark trick to make sure you're not lost. I don't need that, I am a brain genius.

Besides, I can just follow these old markings.

... Right?

I now remember that I am a brain genius who can't remember their own name.

Starting to make marks now would be the smart thing, but I'm too far in now for it to make a difference.

Oh, thank Mata Nui, someone to talk to.

: Are you the Makuta?

Oh no, he's an idiot.

: I am practicing.

... "What are you doing?"

: I am practicing.

: Vakama says that even though I am slow, I may be faster than all the others, and travel very far. He says I must practice. Jala says I am being silly. I practice often.

"What is the Makuta?"

: That is good.

: Jala says I have to be careful of the Makuta when I am in the forest. He says the Makuta is everywhere.

: He means Rahi. Monsters. Things you can see.

: But I know the Makuta is here now, in these burnt trees, and in the dead soil. All of these things were destroyed by the Makuta, but the Makuta never left them. That is how he becomes strong. That is what the Makuta does. He destroys things.

: I think the forest looks very beautiful this way too. And when it burned, you could see all the fires perform their Great Takara all the way to the sea, and it was very beautiful.

"Where am I?"

: You are where you are. If I practice, I can be where I am not. I think I can feel it. It is hot here where I am, but where I am not is cold, and I think I can feel it. I must practice more.

: The island has many place to visit. I want to see all of them. But the others do not like to travel. Mata Nui is very big.

: Vakama says that in the beginning of time, Mata Nui fell from the sky, and landed here. The Makuta came after him and made him fall asleep, and sent his monsters out across the world to control it, and destroy its beautiful things, and to make the Tohunga his slaves.

: Vakama has told us to wait for more creatures to fall from the sky, who will save us. I think one of them landed on the beach. I saw it fall, when I was practicing before.

: Vakama knows more. You should ask him. He lives in Ta-Koro.

"Goodbye."

: Goodbye.

Is everyone on this island going to talk in riddles at me?

Here's hoping I can actually find my way back to Ta-Koro.

Oh sweet sweet civilization.

I pop out by the gates of Ta-Koro. Guess I'll say hi at the guardhouse before I head into the village.

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016
I miss Bionicles. It was always different compared to other LEGO products and it's a shame that, outside of a brief revival, it was never brought back.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
I never had much experience with Bionicle until now, and I'm currently interested in what's going on with its mythology. Consider me intrigued.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

At the gates of... Ta-Koro?

There's a set of stairs off to the side.

Guess I'm not a guard. I'll have to find out what that lift does later.

Thanks.

I guess we can pop into this... guardhouse?

Hi.

... Thanks?

: But take care. My scouts have reported a build up in Rahi and I fear a massive counter-offensive.

: There are never enough good warriors to send against the Rahi. You look stout, traveller... you should consider a career in the Guard.

I might do if it'll let me up that lift.

"Who are you?"

: I am Jala, Captain of the Guard. It's my job to protect the city against the Rahi. I knew they were getting stronger, but no one in the city believed me... until the beasts overran the Tren Krom redoubt.

: I lost a lot of good warriors that day. Then Tahu arrived, and now we know why the Rahi are on the move. Vakama says that he'll save us, but I don't see the point in putting ALL our hope in him. You can never have too much security.

"What is Ta-Koro?"

: Ta-Koro is the city in the great Lake of Fire, in the shadow of Mangai, the great volcano. This fortress guards the bridge to it. Many Tohunga live there - surely you've heard of it?

: Most of the people in Ta-Koro farm the lava fields to the north, beneath the Mangai. Many are surfers, riding the lava rapids for sport. Our people are the most courageous warriors in all of Mata Nui, and we are not afraid to challenge the Makuta's beasts if we must...

: But we cannot confront the enemy alone, and I do not have faith in the other cities of Mata Nui. If they do not join with us in the defense, we will all perish, Toa or not!

"What is a Rahi?"

: The Rahi serve the Makuta. They are horrible beasts, ruthless and fierce. Some can fly; others walk along the ground, and some, I have heard, even tunnel beneath it. We have battled many of them.

: In recent times they have become bolder, and have forced us back to here. Ta-Koro used to reach all the way to the coast; the Charred Jungle used to be a green, peaceful place, but in the fury of our battles it was burnt.

: But we are Ta-Koro Tohunga, and we will not surrender. And now Tahu, the great fire-spirit, has come to lead us against them. They can attack at any time, although always when it is least expected.

: That is why we must always be on guard. I have studied them extensively... it is possible that they once were normal creatures, like the others that inhabit Mata Nui, until the Makuta turned them... although I am not certain of this.

: If it is true, there may be another way to fight them. Until then we must patrol our stockades and our trenches day and night, and keep the guard-fires burning.

"Thank you, Goodbye."

: May Tahu protect you, traveler.

Well that was a nice chat. I'm starting to get a better idea of what the deal is on this island.

... What gives? Where's the bridge?

Turns out there's a room in the back of the guardhouse.

Never met a lever I didn't want to pull.

Y'know, how did they even engineer that bridge? Something I'll hopefully get an answer for someday.

Time to head into Ta-Koro.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Ta-koro was the coolest poo poo as a kid. loving platforms over lava river, fortress where the fire sword toa is hell yeah

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

oh hell yes a bionicle lets play. iirc the view through the telescope updated as the game was released incrementally, so since this is the full build of the game i think you're looking at its final form?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

VostokProgram posted:

oh hell yes a bionicle lets play. iirc the view through the telescope updated as the game was released incrementally, so since this is the full build of the game i think you're looking at its final form?

I think it's tied to story progress? I never did check it much as a kid.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Oh oh gently caress this takes me back to 2003 :aaaaa:

I'm getting Bionicle Movie flashbacks.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Just a bump. Going to get back to this when my schedule is a bit nicer to me, and I'm caught up with my main LP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Oheao posted:

I have no idea what this game even is. Is it a Bionicle game or is that some reference that I didn't get?

It was a webgame way back when I think.