Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Inappropriate Toucher 18 1.46%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 665 54.11%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 319 25.96%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 26 2.12%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 5 0.41%
Julian Castro, the Twin 5 0.41%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 5 0.41%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 17 1.38%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 3 0.24%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 8 0.65%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 86 7.00%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 23 1.87%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 32 2.60%
Eric Swalwell, the Insurance Wife Guy 2 0.16%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.08%
Bill de Blasio, the NYPD Most Hated 4 0.33%
Tim Ryan, the Dope Face 3 0.24%
John Hickenlooper, the Also Ran 7 0.57%
Total: 1229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/nataliesurely/status/1144243429095936000

read another loving book christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/corbin_dewitt/status/1144448430376275968

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

But there are several? :)

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

read another loving book christ.

No! There has never been another nebish but capable woman in the history of literature.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/paulkrugman/status/1144587620627943425

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

This is so great. Laura Dern is incredible right now on Big Little Lies, and there is this whole subplot about her melting down about her seven-year-old melting down about climate change.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

TulliusCicero posted:

Warren's eager hand raising Hermione energy is pretty great, I dunno

Harry Potter is liberal trash and a dumb book series, of course donut Twitter went nuts comparing “I have a plan!!!” lady to a children’s book

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/danielmarans/status/1144483114531508227?s=21
https://twitter.com/danielmarans/status/1144589829189058560

Also Kamala Harris is a cop. Don't elect cops to anything. Thanks!

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Democrazy posted:

My serious analysis is that a secret winner of this debate might be Bernie Sanders. While he didn’t do anything spectacular in the debate, he didn’t do anything too bad, and debates were never going to be his strong suit, anyway. He also is likely to benefit from Biden’s meltdown, as there has been some polling showing an overlap between Biden and Bernie’s support.
I dunno, if I was his campaign manager I'd be Guarded but not at outright Concerned yet. Debates have more potential to kill campaign than to boost it, so him coming out unscathed is definitely a good thing. But it was a weak first impression to make, and it's making him vulnerable to an attack on his age. Standing next to Biden while Slalwell is calling him an old gently caress isn't a great look.

Hopefully he gets through the next debate alright and gets a chance to show more energy in September when the stage isn't so crowded.

Edit: if I'm Biden's campaign manager I'm telling him to start listening to his debate coach or I'm quitting before he ruins my reputation.

Tibalt fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jun 28, 2019

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Gripweed posted:

The second debate is going to have fewer people on stage at a time, so that means they'll all get more time to talk. I really want to see a debate where Marianne gets more time to talk and the moderators give the other candidates follow up questions based on what she said

14 people have already qualified for the 2nd debate.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Bah gawd is that the jurassic park theme???!

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Lol at the people melting down about loving Harry Potter comparisons

Like I don't think JK Rowling is some master of literature either, but jesus folks popular culture is a thing

From now on I demand all political candidates be compared to Gregor from Metamorphosis, or Raskolnikov from Crime and Punishment :colbert:

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

Yeah, but they're doing another two-nighter so it'll be ~seven on each stage rather than ten.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

TulliusCicero posted:

we already went through this bullshit once.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Agent Burt Macklin posted:

This is so great. Laura Dern is incredible right now on Big Little Lies, and there is this whole subplot about her melting down about her seven-year-old melting down about climate change.

I will NOT not be rich!!!

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

Tibalt posted:

I dunno, if I was his campaign manager I'd be Guarded but not at outright Concerned yet. Debates have more potential to kill campaign than to boost it, so him coming out unscathed is definitely a good thing. But it was a weak first impression to make, and it's making him vulnerable to an attack on his age. Standing next to Biden while Slalwell is calling him an old gently caress isn't a great look.

Hopefully he gets through the next debate alright and gets a chance to show more energy in September when the stage isn't so crowded.

Edit: if I'm Biden's campaign manager I'm telling him to start listening to his debate coach or I'm quitting before he ruins my reputation.

I dunno, I thought the only part where he looked bad were the parts where he felt attacked by Swalwell’s comments about age and getting a new generation in there. That kind of defensiveness did not suit him.

I’m just not convinced that he’s the best fit for the back and forth of a debate. I think he gets too heated; he’s better where he can talk about what he wants to do, rather than feeling the need to respond to others.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

To clarify because it's so stupid:

The next debate (second debate) in July will have the same requirements and rules as the one last night. I'd be a little surprised if almost everyone didn't make it off of cannibalizing the polling or donors from the no-namers who aren't on stage. Sorry Gravel.

The first debate of the second round of debates will have stricter rules and will occur in September. I think 538.com estimated 10 candidates are on track to get in? The media keeps referring to the debates by rounds, so it's easy to get confused.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

Democrazy posted:

I dunno, I thought the only part where he looked bad were the parts where he felt attacked by Swalwell’s comments about age and getting a new generation in there. That kind of defensiveness did not suit him.

I’m just not convinced that he’s the best fit for the back and forth of a debate. I think he gets too heated; he’s better where he can talk about what he wants to do, rather than feeling the need to respond to others.
He's not, and I expect him to do better when he has more room to breath. It's hard to tell how much of the debate is going to affect a voters' initial impression - he's got a lot of name recognition, so maybe his impression is already locked in. But I'm not sure how much your average voter has been paying attention to him these last 4 years.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I know some people had already bailed from the Biden campaign before this debate, but I’ll be interested to see if any more leave now

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

TulliusCicero posted:

Like I don't think JK Rowling is some master of literature either, but jesus folks popular culture is a thing

From now on I demand all political candidates be compared to Gregor from Metamorphosis, or Raskolnikov from Crime and Punishment :colbert:

i'm not sure if Game of Thrones is better or worse.

Hopefully in a few years it'll be Dune.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.

Grouchio posted:

Are there any videos/memes of Harris killing Biden live onstage?

Couldn't find the tweet with the whole video, but it's in the article.

https://twitter.com/axios/status/1144436650912735232

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

TulliusCicero posted:

I think there’s a fairly good comparison to be made between the bernout crew and Ivan Karamazov.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Sanders comes across as kind of shouty.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Ogmius815 posted:

I think there’s a fairly good comparison to be made between the bernout crew and Ivan Karamazov.

oh shut the gently caress up

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

i'm not sure if Game of Thrones is better or worse.

Hopefully in a few years it'll be Dune.

Harris holds out the Gom Jabbar for Biden, Booker reveals himself to be a Face Dancer.

Buttigeig's mind is opened to the ancestral memories of a million progressives. Bernie cackles madly and flies around the stage in a suspensor suit.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Tibalt posted:

Unless you've literally been in a coma for the past four years this debate won't be your first impression of Bernie Sanders, so I dunno what the hell you're on about.

Democrazy posted:

My serious analysis is that a secret winner of this debate might be Bernie Sanders. While he didn’t do anything spectacular in the debate, he didn’t do anything too bad, and debates were never going to be his strong suit, anyway. He also is likely to benefit from Biden’s meltdown, as there has been some polling showing an overlap between Biden and Bernie’s support.

Yeah, that's pretty obvious. If you have two front-runners and one starts imploding, then the second one can be expected to benefit.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

You need both a public and private position. And to never specify which is which :abuela:

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cerebral Bore posted:

Unless you've literally been in a coma for the past four years this debate won't be your first impression of Bernie Sanders, so I dunno what the hell you're on about.

Hey man, you gotta get that Coma Vote.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit
Hello.
I’m going to come with a long range snipe because I can’t sleep.
I can’t sleep, I haven’t posted in months, and I want this to be something I can quote without having to toxx for it.
Something Awful is a drat fine place full of brilliant people who have some serious opinions (problems).
Reading Goon takes on the debates are waaaaaay better than watching them.
Here are some of my opinions, ripe for first (second) page hatred.

Warren is the democratic nominee, I didn’t watch the debates, I’m not remotely interested in them.
I knew she was the democratic nominee when she started running.
She knew she was the democratic nominee when she started running.

Joe Biden didn’t want to run at all, he’s doing this to call more attention to the democrats who are. To say he’s committing political suicide is to say “who is that guy again? oh yeah, barry’s vp”.
I think he wanted to step out of the way a couple years ago, but people, I don’t know who, butt people think he should have ran.

Check my probes, I was the literal first person in C-SPAM to say Bernie would have won after Colbert looked like he was going to cry on election night.
That being said: “I am not now and have never been a member of the communist party or otherwise affiliated with it.”
After minimal :words: in the DSA thread, I’ve declared this rabid communist bullshit to be not funny anymore.
You loving goons. God drat. Go talk to some people outside of your bubble. It’ll do them and you some good if you try.
I dunno, hear them out and not try to demonize them or convince them of anything maybe.
Try to find things you agree with (those) people about, make any sort of common ground.
Bernie has made his point, and I salute his unbelievable integrity. The man is a saint even if you don’t agree with him.
If I’m incorrect about Liz and he is nominated, of course I’d vote for him. I love the man.
When I say Bernie is unbelievable, I say “hey there’s a politician in Washington who’s had the same message for longer than I’ve been alive!” (I’m one of the oldest of my generation) I’ve said this before too, wouldn’t it be fair to ask who the hell that person who’s been in politics so long, and has stayed on message so consistently could possibly could be if you’d never heard of the man?

Good luck to people with a horse in this race, I’m not so sure that the orange crybaby will be voted out at all.

The world is a complicated place, and it looks more interesting (frightening) all the time. I’m tired of people trying to make me feel stupid and bad because a plastic shopping bag doesn’t break and drop all my food on the ground. How come I can’t shop at the co-op for oatmeal that isn’t full of roundup, without getting the side eye like I came to church wearing a yarmulke? I’m sorry I like steak and beer, as well as kombucha and insoluble fiber.

Maybe the bad guy wrestler will make me rich too somehow, and prevent the utter dissolution of the white race (my team).
Maybe it’s time I just let go of trying to care about people who just aren’t like me, and instead focus on my own family.

I’ve talked to too many people, young and old, without interjecting my own opinion for at least five loving minutes to have faith in the system right now, and I’ve read a lot of yours. I’m so very, very sorry (tired) that this post is (mostly) in earnest.
The internet really did make us all stupid.

Apologies, I’m going back to my hiatus for at least another month.
I also need to buy a new av.
Not like anybody noticed or cared.
I’ll be reading even if not posting, so, thank you if you took the time to read my spectacularly bad post.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Solvent posted:

Hello.
I’m going to come with a long range snipe because I can’t sleep.
I can’t sleep, I haven’t posted in months, and I want this to be something I can quote without having to toxx for it.
Something Awful is a drat fine place full of brilliant people who have some serious opinions (problems).
Reading Goon takes on the debates are waaaaaay better than watching them.
Here are some of my opinions, ripe for first (second) page hatred.

Warren is the democratic nominee, I didn’t watch the debates, I’m not remotely interested in them.
I knew she was the democratic nominee when she started running.
She knew she was the democratic nominee when she started running.

Joe Biden didn’t want to run at all, he’s doing this to call more attention to the democrats who are. To say he’s committing political suicide is to say “who is that guy again? oh yeah, barry’s vp”.
I think he wanted to step out of the way a couple years ago, but people, I don’t know who, butt people think he should have ran.

Check my probes, I was the literal first person in C-SPAM to say Bernie would have won after Colbert looked like he was going to cry on election night.
That being said: “I am not now and have never been a member of the communist party or otherwise affiliated with it.”
After minimal :words: in the DSA thread, I’ve declared this rabid communist bullshit to be not funny anymore.
You loving goons. God drat. Go talk to some people outside of your bubble. It’ll do them and you some good if you try.
I dunno, hear them out and not try to demonize them or convince them of anything maybe.
Try to find things you agree with (those) people about, make any sort of common ground.
Bernie has made his point, and I salute his unbelievable integrity. The man is a saint even if you don’t agree with him.
If I’m incorrect about Liz and he is nominated, of course I’d vote for him. I love the man.
When I say Bernie is unbelievable, I say “hey there’s a politician in Washington who’s had the same message for longer than I’ve been alive!” (I’m one of the oldest of my generation) I’ve said this before too, wouldn’t it be fair to ask who the hell that person who’s been in politics so long, and has stayed on message so consistently could possibly could be if you’d never heard of the man?

Good luck to people with a horse in this race, I’m not so sure that the orange crybaby will be voted out at all.

The world is a complicated place, and it looks more interesting (frightening) all the time. I’m tired of people trying to make me feel stupid and bad because a plastic shopping bag doesn’t break and drop all my food on the ground. How come I can’t shop at the co-op for oatmeal that isn’t full of roundup, without getting the side eye like I came to church wearing a yarmulke? I’m sorry I like steak and beer, as well as kombucha and insoluble fiber.

Maybe the bad guy wrestler will make me rich too somehow, and prevent the utter dissolution of the white race (my team).
Maybe it’s time I just let go of trying to care about people who just aren’t like me, and instead focus on my own family.

I’ve talked to too many people, young and old, without interjecting my own opinion for at least five loving minutes to have faith in the system right now, and I’ve read a lot of yours. I’m so very, very sorry (tired) that this post is (mostly) in earnest.
The internet really did make us all stupid.

Apologies, I’m going back to my hiatus for at least another month.
I also need to buy a new av.
Not like anybody noticed or cared.
I’ll be reading even if not posting, so, thank you if you took the time to read my spectacularly bad post.

drat dude, you sound like a huge rear end in a top hat

TrixR4kids
Jul 29, 2006

LOGIC AND COMMON SENSE? YOU AIN'T GET THAT FROM ME!

Cerebral Bore posted:

I don't think nearly as many people were paying attention last time around though (2016 debates), I know I wasn't. I started paying more attention since then and obviously know more about him and have heard him speak about his agenda however many hundreds of times like I'm guessing you probably have but I'm not sure the general public is as tuned in.

I didn't see the debates yesterday unfortunately so I'm just speaking in generalities here.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Lycus posted:

Looks like the biggest disconnect between goon reaction and outsider reaction to the debates is Booty Judge.

yeah i was experiencing some cognitive dissonance trying to evaluate his performance and therefore had no actual opinion

TulliusCicero posted:

Please don't make Dianne from Cheers and Frasier the Meme Magic President in 2020

Thank you

i have a nonzero amount of concern that the hell timeline means we elect a weird celebrity to beat a much worse weird celebrity

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

...What?

This reads like a Caro post duder

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
im so tired

just let it end

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Who gives a gently caress? To the recent Marianne Williamson fans ITT (assuming you're not doing a really bad troll): what in the gently caress is wrong with you? You're what's wrong with America. We're not electing a loving anti-vax, anti-science "power of positive thought!!" moron made famous by bored white housewives on Oprah!! Jesus Christ we're a dumb as gently caress country. I really don't feel I can be nice about this anymore. People are dying. Many more will. Stop loving around and get serious about what's in front of us.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

VH4Ever posted:

Who gives a gently caress? To the recent Marianne Williamson fans ITT (assuming you're not doing a really bad troll): what in the gently caress is wrong with you? You're what's wrong with America. We're not electing a loving anti-vax, anti-science "power of positive thought!!" moron made famous by bored white housewives on Oprah!! Jesus Christ we're a dumb as gently caress country. I really don't feel I can be nice about this anymore. People are dying. Many more will. Stop loving around and get serious about what's in front of us.

I’m pretty sure the Marianne “fans” are doing a sort of bit. No one really wants her to be the nominee. It’s entertaining to have one total kook in the debates, like with Mike Gravel or Ross Perot.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

And nothing of value was lost

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Ogmius815 posted:

I’m pretty sure the Marianne “fans” are doing a sort of bit. No one really wants her to be the nominee. It’s entertaining to have one total kook in the debates, like with Mike Gravel or Ross Perot.

I allow for this possibility but I just have no loving patience for it. Folks ITT already know I had no patience for the stupid Gravel thing either. No. Joke. Candidates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

feels like a lot of people who would have voted Clinton over Sanders in 2016 are attaching the yas kween label to cops like Gillibrand and Harris. Feels bad that people are making GBS threads on Sanders in favor of Harris. It's good that Biden got turbofucked but it's looking like either Trump wins again narrowly or we go into a poo poo-tier status quo again. The only major difference will be a much better House of Reps who can hopefully train up to be in the Senate/head office later on. Part of me seriously doubts how we can make the country better when truly so many morons inhabit middle america and don't give a poo poo that their farms are hosed or that a hospital will bankrupt them.

The memification of that Williamson lady is loving moronic though. I don't care if she roomed with a lady from Twin Peaks jesus christ I just want universal healthcare/living wages/better ecological practice.