Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Inappropriate Toucher 18 1.46%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 665 54.11%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 319 25.96%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 26 2.12%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 5 0.41%
Julian Castro, the Twin 5 0.41%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 5 0.41%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 17 1.38%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 3 0.24%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 8 0.65%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 86 7.00%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 23 1.87%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 32 2.60%
Eric Swalwell, the Insurance Wife Guy 2 0.16%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.08%
Bill de Blasio, the NYPD Most Hated 4 0.33%
Tim Ryan, the Dope Face 3 0.24%
John Hickenlooper, the Also Ran 7 0.57%
Total: 1229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Remember when kamala’s dad called her out for being a shitheel? Good times

There’s plenty to attack kamala on. Her lovely record, her being deceptive during this very primary (m4a, aipac,etc)

If you care to look it’s p obvious she’s an opportunistic careerist that does whatever she thinks is necessary to become more powerful, whether it’s right or wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Skippy McPants posted:

I'm not convinced it is. It should be, and for us here is sure is, but a big chunk of Dems are still pretty chill with cops.

The last time her cop bullshit started becoming big news it brought her support down. This was back earlier in the primary when she was the flavor of the week.

I would not worry about harris’ supposed strength. She’s not a low tier candidate like booker, but she was so far behind coming into the debate tonight that she was not attacked on any of her glaring flaws. That she was able to tear down a stuttering old racist like Biden who’s clearly been hiding up till now cause he can’t handle any kind of scrutiny is not super surprising. If by the second debate she’s a front runner and she’s weathering attacks from the other candidates I’d be more concerned

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

second time on healthcare

she also did it on aipac

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

TGLT posted:

Well of course she's the most electable, you can't refuse the orders of a psychic.

Legit, I would actually at least consider Biden before Williamson because at least he's not anti-vax. She becomes president and she will fall prey to every dumb poo poo and well entrenched grifter that rolls up to the white house.

biden's racist as gently caress. imo that's worse than anti-vaxx, but you do you

edit: also :lol: at the idea that the sundowning mumbling racist wouldn't fall prey to every grifter he encounters. old people who aren't all there are notoriously difficult to scam right?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

TGLT posted:

That wasn't a defense of Biden, and anti-vax poo poo is going to get people killed. She does not strike me at all as some one who has a meaningful capacity for discerning good ideas from bad ones, and the idea she is going to do any better than default centrist when going up against well entrenched interests is laughable. I do not think she would do any better than Biden or Tim Ryan or the rest of those fucks.

racism gets people killed on the regular. also, anti-vaxx bs is way more likely to be fought against by people in the government than racism considering institutional racism is still a thing that permeates our government but anti-vaxx mentalities are not.

finally, biden seems less able to discern good ideas from bad ones considering he painted a giant loving target on his back the past few weeks by fondly reminiscing about his racist republican buddies and how he wishes he could go back to those days and also how he never made a mistake in his career (*cough* anti-bussing *cough*)

i can understand saying you'd never vote for williamson. imo she's an amusing joke candidate. but saying you'd vote for biden over her is really questionable imo

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

TGLT posted:

Snake oil people are loving loathsome. Yeah the Biden comment was probably too far because he's easily the worst of the actual candidates running, but I can't stand that predatory self help poo poo.

racist segregationists are even more loathsome. i'd rather deal with a snake-oil peddler than a kkk member

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Trabisnikof posted:

I'm serious that Williamson is better than Biden.

Badger of Basra posted:

Don’t worry if she gets ahead of Bernie in any polls they’ll find out she’s actually a centrist neolib shill

you have a real chip on your shoulder don't you?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

VH4Ever posted:

I mean that was an actual quote from many folks I saw crowing about his win so :shrug: Obviously, thank God, special crystals and other hokum horseshit don't attract a crowd like hatin' on some minorities, so luckily for the nation, the few morons that buy the poo poo she's shoveling won't amount to much in the end. I just hate seeing people claim that "Oh, I'm just laughing while I claim to like her" whilst ignoring the simple truth we supposedly all reckoned with post-2016: that irony becomes reality after long enough. Ironic racism is racism and etc. But yet ironically cheering for Crystal Lady is OK? Just looking for ideological consistency.

ironic racists didn't magically transform into racists. they were racist all along and were using irony as a shield against criticism of their poo poo views.

it is incredibly possible for people to pretend to like williamson for the laughs but not actually like her on the other hand

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

TrixR4kids posted:

Pre-debate I would've never guessed she'd be getting this much attention (here and elsewhere) while Yang and Pete* are barely an afterthought.

you obviously haven't seen her golden egg tweets

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

unwantedplatypus posted:

I mean theres a strong possibility that my brain is infested with a unique species of brainworms, but the more I hear about her the better she seems? And her weird wine mom approach to things might work out for her with people who arent politics nerds like us, we'll see I guess

that and the stuff she puts out there is genuinely funny

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

https://twitter.com/NPR/status/1144655011839991809

:prepop: this will not end well for biden

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

if this is a preview of his "clarification of his stance on bussing" to the rainbow coalition... :stonk:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

VitalSigns posted:

I feel like Williamson confuses people the same way Gabbard does.

Legitimately better than 95% of Democratic politicians, yet still utterly horrible. But a ton of people hear someone say the first, and immediately jump to the conclusion that this is the same as saying she's good, because the alternative would be to face the fact that the party is mostly a pack of greedy evil opportunists lusting for foreign blood.

that's my takeaway when sean10mm starting whining about people stanning for her

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

how many times in a day can the biden campaign stab themselves?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Solkanar512 posted:

It's not that she's "kooky", she's an out and out anti-vaxxer. Measles maims and kills people. Cervical and throat cancer maim and kill people. These issues and more are now largely preventable because of vaccines. We used to have poo poo like smallpox and yearly polio seasons and we don't anymore because of modern loving medicine. We have record outbreaks of diseases that were previously declared eradicated in the United States because anti-vaxxers keep traveling to areas with active outbreaks and bringing it back home. These outbreaks affect newborns, the immunocompromised, folks who were vaccinated but the vaccine didn't take and the medically neglected children of anti-vaxxers.

Why is this so difficult for folks like you to understand? You can't claim to be for climate change if you're going to turn around and ignore other well documented scientific phenomena like the fundamentals of public health.

no-one is ignoring it. a lot of the other shitheads in the dem primaries espouse ideas that are more destructive in our current society, especially since those ideas are not controversial despite being so destructive.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Those aren't meaningfully distinguishable positions

this is true. the thing that confuses me about this hyperventilation about her anti-vaxx positions is the lack of hyperventilating about other positions that are dangerous here and now, not just hypothetically dangerous. I guess because the mainstream candidates support hideous, awful policies that are mainstream, they shouldn't be worried about as much as a kook that probably thinks she can send hordes of angels into her bloodstream to fight off measels

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

As far as I can tell, Williamson doesn't have "positions", she just has EMOTIONS

i wouldn't be surprised. i still think she's less dangerous than a lot of acceptable, status quo democrats. likewise, i think the freakout about people saying anything nice about her is pretty silly

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Gatts posted:

When one is an immigrant one is required to have medical clearance and vaccinations. Is this not applied to children born of US citizens? Why is it not mandatory? I don’t support Marianne’s position it is up to the parent. It should be a requirement.

i think it's not applied to the richer in this country, which is idiotic and selfish since it endangers herd immunity

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

https://twitter.com/marwilliamson/status/37081071291990016

i'm p sure people still hurt each other in evangelion

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Groovelord Neato posted:

angels are monstrous beings that had to say "be not afraid" whenever they appeared to humans so they wouldn't poo poo their pants.

except that one bisexual one shinji had a crush on

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

What do your chakras tell you

Also when did "electoralism" become pejorative

people keep claiming there are honest to god williamson supporters in this thread despite no-one having actually said something like "vote for williamson"

also, dunno why people are having arguments over whether to vote in the general, despite there being a pre-existing, excellent thread for discussing a topic that has little to do with the primary

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

so i saw this article posted about kamala harris in another thread:

https://medium.com/@moon_bat/the-troubling-past-of-kamala-harris-f017207333cb

it really illustrates the problems with kamala harris and why you should not, under any circumstances, support her

i'd like to quote the whole post, as it's pretty heinous, but I'll just quote the section on her fighting to keep innocents in jail on technicalities

quote:

A Record of Incarcerating Innocents

Harris, of course, wasn’t sated with merely locking up minor, non-violent offenders. She also has a record of fighting to keep the wrongfully imprisoned in prison- understanding that such offenders are likely innocent, and arguing that they should stay imprisoned for the rest of their lives based on nothing more than technicalities.

In 2015, evidence emerged that prisoner George Gage had been wrongfully convicted by a corrupt prosecutor who deliberately held back critical evidence. Harris and her prosecutors fought tooth and nail to uphold his conviction on a technicality, and succeeded. Gage is still in prison to this day, serving a 70-year sentence. The prosecutor who convicted him, meanwhile, was elected to the Los Angeles County Superior Court a mere five days after the conviction.

quote:

[Ms. Harris’s prosecutors] pointed out that Mr. Gage, while forced to act as his own lawyer, had not properly raised the legal issue in the lower court, as the law required.

The appellate judges acknowledged this impediment and sent the case to mediation, a clear signal for Ms. Harris to dismiss the case. When she refused to budge, the court upheld the conviction on that technicality. Mr. Gage is still in prison serving a 70-year sentence.

In a similar case, Harris fought to keep the wrongly convicted prisoner Daniel Larsen in prison. Larsen had been of Possession of a Concealed Weapon in 1999. After serving 11 years of his 28-year-to-life sentence in prison, a judge reviewed the case and reversed Larsen’s conviction.

Harris appealed the judge’s decision again on a technicality- she argued Larsen had “failed to raise his legal arguments in a timely fashion”. Because of this, Larsen remained in prison another two years.

In 2012, no less than 90,000 people petitioned Harris to set Larsen free. Civil rights groups also called on her. She still refused. Even after Larsen was released by a federal court, Harris fought to send him back to prison.

quote:

[Kamala Harris]’s main argument was that even if Danny was innocent, his conviction should not be reversed because he waited too long to file his petition. In other words, an innocent man should spend his life in prison due to a legal technicality.

In 2013, Harris fought to keep Lonny Leon Rivera on the sex offender registry. His crime? Having sex with his 17-year-old girlfriend (now wife) while he himself was only 19- in 1989.

In 2015, Harris fought against the wrongfully imprisoned Johnny Baca, after it was found that corrupt prosecutors destroyed evidence that would have proved his innocence. She relented when faced with immense public pressure.

Again in 2015, Harris fought against DNA testing for Kevin Cooper, a black man on death row who was likely wrongfully convicted by corrupt police (astute readers might notice a pattern!). Again she relented in the face of public pressure.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

He is unbelievably awful. It’s a wonder someone voted for him in the thread poll.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

electability is such an amazingly stupid idea. imagine voting in the primary for what you think (but aren't sure) other people want instead of what you want

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

CelestialScribe posted:

I've said a lot of stupid poo poo in this thread but this must be the dumbest thing I have ever seen someone say in D and D.

thanks for the contentless "you're dumb" post celestialscribe

you really convinced me that marxalot is dumb

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Gripweed posted:

Here's a big thread about why Buttigieg is bad, mostly stuff we knew about him doing everything he can to protect a racist, murderous police department. But this one was a surprise

https://twitter.com/niktaylorde/status/1145726512714387456

wait, buttchug is an antivaxxer?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

It’s pretty great that Bootyjudge is now objectively even more of a joke-tier candidate than the crystal queen thanks to him being an anti-vaxxer. Any other anti-vaxx “respectable” candidates?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

even if bernie isn't able to achieve everything (or even just a fraction of what he wants), having someone in office who will actually push and try to achieve things will be 100x better than what we had before where dem presidents are eternally helpless blobs that can only pass republican legislation and handouts to wealthy industries

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Z. Autobahn posted:

I thought Bernie had incredible willpower and a mass movement behind him that could overcome any obstacle?

so are you just trolling at this point or something? cause no-one's said this

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Z. Autobahn posted:

your average American watching Joe Biden wax on about the Iraq war can't go out and pilot a drone to bomb a wedding

no, they just have to join the military and train to do so, propagating the war machine

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

if warren drops out I expect her to endorse harris or someone instead of bernie

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Midgetskydiver posted:

There is a stark difference between knowingly saying something is false, and placing a little too much faith in one's own family members being correct about lineage. Her siblings and other family members have stated that they had a relative who was socially ostracized because everyone thought she had native blood. Turns out that was probably not the case but the belief did cause a rift in her family that was real. Warren herself mentions that the relative essentially had to elope in order to get married.

All this to say, as an Oklahoman myself, this sort of thing is very common. Family genealogies in places like Oklahoma from 1880-1960 were extremely janky because there weren't really any strong social institutions to keep detailed family records. This is true all across America in the 19th century (most American genealogies are extremely well kept once you get back to Europe, record keeping in the US was poo poo due to the Catholic Church, the main authority on family records, being a minority religious institution). Plenty of people in OK believe they have native ancestry when they don't, and not all of them are racist liars- some people just genuinely don't know and have gone through situations like Warren where the assumption of native blood wasn't a ploy to get ahead, it was an understandable mistake.

Should people be more diligent in finding out the truth of their ancestry? Sure. Did Warren act pretty tone deaf on this? Yeah. Should you be calling her "a liar" and accusing her of lying "for decades" given her nuanced family response to this? You can, but you sound like someone just trying to win the Leftist purity contest rather than someone making an argument in good faith.

i'm oklahoman too

my mother told me my great grandmother was native american

i was never dumb enough to try to claim that I was native american

i also never tried to do dumb poo poo like this:

quote:

Democratic Senate candidate Elizabeth Warren, fending off questions about whether she used her Native American heritage to advance her career, said today she enrolled herself as a minority in law school directories for nearly a decade because she hoped to meet other people with tribal roots.

“I listed myself in the directory in the hopes that it might mean that I would be invited to a luncheon, a group something that might happen with people who are like I am. Nothing like that ever happened, that was clearly not the use for it and so I stopped checking it off,” said Warren.

you know why? because native americans are not like I am. I do not share their experiences or their oppression. neither does loving elizabeth warren

quote:

“Being Native American has been part of my story I guess since the day I was born,” said Warren, who never mentioned her Native American heritage on the campaign trail even as she detailed much of her personal history to voters in speeches, statements and a video. “These are my family stories, I have lived in a family that has talked about Native American and talked about tribes since I was a little girl.”

she sure did love to pretend she did though

Condiv fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jul 9, 2019

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Midgetskydiver posted:

Yeah I'm sure your situation was exactly like hers and now you're pure enough to run for President. Congrats!

i can't believe you're screaming "purity testing :qq:" over a white woman claiming membership in a minority group for a decent chunk of her life, despite her interest in her native ancestry stopping at actually meeting any native americans or getting involved in the tribes she felt she hailed from

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

e. warren: *pretends she's native american for huge chunks of her life*

thread: :shrug:

bernie sanders: *pretends he's the king of england with the help of an old man*

thread: bernie's cancelled!

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Jaxyon posted:

Warren: I'm a subject matter expert on helping the working class, I created a federal agency to protect consumers, I have plans for literally everything under the sun and am probably 2x as competent as almost any other politician.

Condiv: I can't stand her for some reason that is definitely not sexism also I repeat Trump lies about her but don't call me out on that

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

I posted quotes of her claiming native american heritage. her quotes. it's not a smear, it's something she really honestly did

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

https://twitter.com/THR/status/722464663095476224

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Montalvo posted:

There are a significant number of people who dislike Bernie while still wanting many of the things he proposes (healthcare, fixing income inequality, etc.). It just so happens that many of those people are women and minorities and they are often told by people who are not women and minorities that they should just put aside their concern and discomfort around the ways in which Bernie makes them feel invisible and unwelcome. This discourse often takes place in a way that is perceived as being harassing by minoritized folks, but when that fact itself is pointed out, they are also aggressively mocked for it. It's kind of a vicious cycle, which is why many of us have simply stopped caring about and engaging with the man and his candidacy, particularly now that Elizabeth Warren is in the race.

what is there to dislike about bernie?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Montalvo posted:

There are a significant number of people who dislike Bernie while still wanting many of the things he proposes (healthcare, fixing income inequality, etc.). It just so happens that many of those people are women and minorities and they are often told by people who are not women and minorities that they should just put aside their concern and discomfort around the ways in which Bernie makes them feel invisible and unwelcome. This discourse often takes place in a way that is perceived as being harassing by minoritized folks, but when that fact itself is pointed out, they are also aggressively mocked for it. It's kind of a vicious cycle, which is why many of us have simply stopped caring about and engaging with the man and his candidacy, particularly now that Elizabeth Warren is in the race.

Also, if your goal is to not be mocked you might want to avoid erasing minority and female supporters of Bernie’s. Claiming bernie supporters are white cis-het men is not a good way to get a conversation started, especially when you claim to care about minorities and women.

In short, erasure is bad, and you shouldn’t do it as a hello

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Montalvo posted:

Could you please point out where in my post I said that Bernie's supporters are all white cis-het men and that he has no support from women and minorities?

Montalvo posted:

they are often told by people who are not women and minorities that they should just put aside their concern and discomfort around the ways in which Bernie makes them feel invisible and unwelcome

Again, erasure is bad, don’t do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Montalvo posted:

If both of you are taking that away from that sentence, then I don't think we're going to really see eye to eye on this issue; as I was merely pointing out that the pushback to women and minorities that dislike Bernie comes from people who are not women and minorities; I made no assessment whatsoever about the nature and homogeneity of Bernie's supporters are large. Have a good one!

You were merely erasing the women and minorities that disagree with you. It’s kind of hard to see eye to eye when your first post is along the lines of “if you disagree with me on bernie you’re a white cis-het male”