Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Inappropriate Toucher 18 1.46%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 665 54.11%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 319 25.96%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 26 2.12%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 5 0.41%
Julian Castro, the Twin 5 0.41%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 5 0.41%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 17 1.38%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 3 0.24%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 8 0.65%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 86 7.00%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 23 1.87%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 32 2.60%
Eric Swalwell, the Insurance Wife Guy 2 0.16%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.08%
Bill de Blasio, the NYPD Most Hated 4 0.33%
Tim Ryan, the Dope Face 3 0.24%
John Hickenlooper, the Also Ran 7 0.57%
Total: 1229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

VH4Ever posted:

Don't you mean "yaasss queen"? I thought she was cool now?

No, she's just hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Feldegast42 posted:

Do we have any real confirmation that Biden is dropping in the polls other than the one teasing tweet shook Nate sent out? I'm not really convinced it's done anything yet...

We probably won't see the real impact of the debates until next week.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

VH4Ever posted:

Funny, I don't even need to say anything. You already got owned by KM.

Irrespective of any bullshit with Luckyellow, you were wrong to be upset by Gravel though.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

VH4Ever posted:

Nah. I regret nothing.

Doesn't really matter if you regret it, you were wrong. Issue candidates - especially for issues that have basically no representation in national politics like anti-imperialism - are good and important.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

VH4Ever posted:

Right. I'll gather up some McChickens and magic crystals and give a toast to the "issue candidates."

Marianne Williamson is not an issue candidate, she's a hilarious weirdo. There's a difference between that and candidates like Inslee and Gravel.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

TulliusCicero posted:

I have news for all you "can't vote because principles" people:

Republicans vote. Every single loving time. Even the Never Trumpers will come back to daddy, because in the end only their wallets, their team, and their superiority in the hierarchy and society matter. They WILL vote for Trump, and they have rigged the game so badly even loving Democrat vote matters despite being the majority of the population.

So loving vote

The protest vote thread is thataway.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

guestimate posted:

I've been reading voraciously and lurking for weeks. I'm glad to see at least some discussion about options if Bernie isn't the democratic nominee. I wanted Bernie in 2016, voted for him in the primary, and fervently want him to be our next president.

However, just like I plugged my nose and voted for Hillary (tho the nomination was stolen from Bernie) I will absolutely vote for probably whoever the loving democratic nominee is because Trump is WORSE. I'm still pissed af at everyone who didn't vote or we last time - the Supreme Court alone is a good enough reason to have voted. It's as simple as that. To not vote is a vote for Trump.

Let me be clear (lol) I REALLY want Bernie.
But we *may* have to settle, and if we do I hope it's Warren. 🤷‍♀️Life loving sucks.

This isn't the protest vote thread. That said, don't blame the voters for Clinton's terrible campaign, that's all on her.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/1145492550746288131

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

kidkissinger posted:

this is trolling right

It's an unsourced quote.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

mcmagic posted:

Trump being the president has driven mainstream D's insane.

This is not a recent phenomenon

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

The Glumslinger posted:

Hot off the presses

https://twitter.com/DavidWright_CNN/status/1145784155478863872

Biden dropped 10% from the previous CNN poll

Ugh, this is a really bad poll. Hopefully things change in a more positive direction.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Ogmius815 posted:

It’s very good and reasonable that suddenly “well it was a long time ago and now he’s open to changing his mind” is an acceptable excuse when it comes from Son Bernie.

A big part of the reason Biden sucks is that he refuses to change his mind about anything. That's why this conversation about busing came up in the first place.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Eiba posted:

I think basically anyone can beat Trump if they don't suck as bad as Clinton... and I think even Clinton could probably have a good shot if she tried again. Trump is, despite his incumbency, incredibly unpopular. I don't think anyone has a particularly bad chance against Trump.

So I'm more worried about making sure Biden or Harris don't win. I think both Warren and Sanders are great candidates who will do pretty much the same good things if they get into office. I think both of them will have some weaknesses in the general election, and I couldn't say which one was more likely to win against Trump. I think Warren can more effectively oppose Biden and take the wind out of Harris's sails than Sanders can, and that's the point I'm most worried about. I really think Biden or Harris winning is the most likely obstacle to getting actual good policies out of a president.

The part of this quote that I emphasized is absolutely not true. There are a lot of good things that a Warren presidency would do, but she is really obviously on the same (horrific) page as the rest of the mainstream Democrats when it comes to foreign policy, which is one of the areas where the president has the most authority.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Iamgoofball posted:

so what the gently caress do you want then, are you just going to vote for trump then? because if you're going to vote for trump, then i think you're on the wrong forums, you should try that gab website i think it's more up your alley

Main Paineframe asked the thread to stop posting about who you'd vote for in the general, you should probably follow that rule.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

https://twitter.com/gindaanis/status/1148400437332045824?s=19

https://twitter.com/gindaanis/status/1148400440196784128?s=19

As far as I can tell it's still

Bernie > Warren > giant meteor > that self help lady > the cop > Booker > Castro

Am I missing anything?

You forgot the Gravel teens. Also, drat, I thought I heard Castro come out of the debate looking good, how is he behind Booker of all people?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Yeah, we talked about this before. That MoE is huge, this poll is basically useless; interesting curiosity, though.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

VH4Ever posted:

A few more McChickens ought to do it, eh?

See there you go, spend money in an actually productive fashion. Good for you. (Pls win Bernie)

Getting Gravel into the debates IS productive

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Tibalt posted:

Lol, someone can't take a joke.

I apologize if my joke about Bernie's jewishness offended you and I'm sorry if you're upset about him being Jewish.

VH4ever is very serious about this

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Incidentally, according to the article, some other campaigns offer similar positions, but they're either paid or guarantee academic credit. Only Warren and Biden offer it as an unpaid position with no academic credits earned.

Bernie doesn't offer it at all. All of his internship positions are paid.

E: To be clear, unpaid internships that offer academic credit are also bad. Just not as bad.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

VH4Ever posted:

I'm not happy about it either, but some of the performative wokeness in this thread about it, when it was the general way things operated since forever, is a bit much. Can't we simply acknowledge that if you're "campaign staff" you should probably be paid something and move on? Bernie having a unionized campaign staff is something objectively good and worth highlighting, but Warren not having one isn't any worse that the other 18 candidates who don't either so I'm not sure why she's being singled out here (or in the article), that's all. I guess if we used that info to start an effort on social media and by phone calls and letters to push her to transform her staff as Bernie did it would make a positive difference but it seems like people ITT think passionately making GBS threads on her for it helps those people or something. It doesn't.

Well, she's being singled out in the article because it's something that only she and Biden are doing. Again, at minimum everyone else who does this gives academic credit, and even that isn't good enough. Warren and Biden are the only ones offering unpaid internship options that don't even do that much.

It's not really performative wokeness so much as it's being consistent. If you truly believe that all core campaign staff should be paid, you should be calling her out on this too.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

VH4Ever posted:

Oh for gently caress's sake.

(This was a bum rap but) This will make the way America chaos-dunked on sort-of-old-guy Admiral Stockdale look really tame by comparison. He won't even be aware he's at a debate, he'll wonder why he wasn't dropped at the supermarket like he thought he'd be.

It's possible, but he's on a livestream right now and he seems reasonably sharp. Totally possible that he's just on one of his good days, who knows, but if he's as sharp as he is right this minute, he'll be fine.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

VH4Ever posted:

Right. You know me, the Biden stan. Isn't it OK if I want Biden, Gravel and Tulsi to all gently caress off together?

Nope! His voice at the debates is actually pretty loving important.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

VH4Ever posted:

Right. I can't wait to hear about his last trip to The LensCrafters and Country Kitchen Buffet.

What the gently caress is this? Dude is lucid. He'll talk about poo poo that matters. His voice will be far more relevant than Tim Ryan, or John Hickenlooper, or even idiots who are actually polling well like Harris or Buttigieg.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

VH4Ever posted:

You're breaking my heart. Tell all those assholes to gently caress off too. I love that by making GBS threads on Gravel somehow I confer love for Tim Ryan on myself. Nice counter argument.

By making GBS threads on Gravel, particularly in the manner which you're doing it, all you're really doing is making yourself look like a huge rear end in a top hat.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

VH4Ever posted:

Right. Let's all talk about how 9/11 was a false flag engineered by Dick Cheney instead, that will own those Centrists!

Yeah, he's not going to do that. Even if he still believes that's true, he's not going to bring it up at the debate because it's completely loving irrelevant 18 years after the fact. He's instead going to talk about modern, relevant issues, like the tremendous harm we're inflicting upon the people in Central and South America.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

VH4Ever posted:

Still not sure why folks (not you) ITT think this notion and mine are mutually exclusive.

Who do you actually think should be at the debates? Everyone? No one but Bernie and Warren? Only the people polling at least 5%? What criteria are you actually running with?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Come to think about it, does Bernie's plan address people living in the dorms at school? That could be a way to minimize (or even outright zero out) cost of living expenses at covered schools.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but any tax increase on the middle class would be completely neutralized by the fact that health insurance premiums would no longer be a thing, yes?

Not only that, you would almost certainly have more money left in your pocket after all is said and done.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Lightning Knight posted:

Yes, I agree that Williamson is better than the failson empty suit centrist white men, which is funny, but doesn’t actually mean I like her.

I wish Gravel was slightly younger and more obviously not just a puppet because I think he’d be much more interesting if he was, ya know, functional.

Alternatively, it’s still tragic Barbara Lee endorsed Harris. :(

Edit: I consistently forget that Jay Inslee exists but I guess he would be my second choice...?

Jay Inslee should only be looked at as an issue candidate. Dude doesn't even have a foreign policy page on his website.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Chilichimp posted:

One page apart.

Gravel is running as an issue candidate. He's not in the same category as the vast majority of the no-hopers.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

CelestialScribe posted:

I don't disagree but the problem is that people want to keep their insurance. How do you get around that issue?

You work your rear end off to clear up misconceptions, remind people that even if they do like their current insurance, any random thing could cause them to lose it (including, but not limited to job transfers and the company's management deciding that these other plans are more economical for them), and that M4A will be better than their current insurance anyway. It's important to keep in mind that the purpose of trying to fix our hosed up healthcare system is an attempt to actually solve the problem, and a public option almost certainly won't do that.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Mellow Seas posted:

Yes but “everybody else is an amoral piece of poo poo” is not cool in a situation where a substantial majority of the world disagrees with you.

Considering how uniquely terrible the US is on this issue, you're gonna need to cite that.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Can't help but notice that Delaney ignored how Clinton lost. Oh well, couldn't possibly be important.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I'm seeing a running theme here.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I can guarantee that Delaney and those other fuckheads didn't ask hospital admins how they would do if they didn't need to worry about insane admin fees and documentation and just had guaranteed payment for every procedure and for every visit. They absolutely did not ever ask about that.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Dammerung posted:

Of course not, that would weaken their talking points.

Exactly. :hmmyes:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Gripweed posted:

these time limits suck so much

They're way too short.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
God, gently caress off Tim.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

SpaceCadetBob posted:

It is super clear that Liz and Bernie have a Non-aggression pact for tonight.

Considering how hostile the other candidates and the moderators have been to them and their ideas, that was definitely the right call on their part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

DC Murderverse posted:

i just turned this on, how many times has bernie given this exact speech tonight already?

Somehow this was the first time.