Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Inappropriate Toucher 18 1.46%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 665 54.11%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 319 25.96%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 26 2.12%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 5 0.41%
Julian Castro, the Twin 5 0.41%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 5 0.41%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 17 1.38%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 3 0.24%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 8 0.65%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 86 7.00%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 23 1.87%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 32 2.60%
Eric Swalwell, the Insurance Wife Guy 2 0.16%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.08%
Bill de Blasio, the NYPD Most Hated 4 0.33%
Tim Ryan, the Dope Face 3 0.24%
John Hickenlooper, the Also Ran 7 0.57%
Total: 1229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.

Grouchio posted:

Are there any videos/memes of Harris killing Biden live onstage?

Couldn't find the tweet with the whole video, but it's in the article.

https://twitter.com/axios/status/1144436650912735232

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

I agree to a certain length with “Vote Blue No Matter Who”. There’s just two problems that that kind of thinking can lead to.

One, it can lead to a serious level of uncritical thinking towards the primary candidates. I see it on message boards when a negative Biden article pops up. “Hey, a cheese sandwich would be better than Trump. I’ll support whoever isn’t Trump in the general.” The problem is that the entire field of Dem candidates are “not Trump”, so focus your efforts on picking the best one and really examine their pros and cons.

Two, it can lead to apathy. “We did it! Trump lost! Now I can go back to not thinking about politics. See you in four years!” Even If Bernie or Warren won the general, we all need to keep fighting and not slack when it comes to this poo poo.

I’m ok with “Vote Blue No Matter Who” as long as we don’t fall into the traps I stated above.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

For me, someone has to break the stranglehold that corporations have on our government. Bernie is obviously good on this. Warren’s fight to build the CFPB and her very public attitudes against Wall Street make me believe she’s good on this as well.

If a candidate can reject lobbying and corporate money like them, I feel like our voices would carry more weight and Warren’s weaknesses could be fought easier. With Biden’s dirty money, he doesn’t have to listen to a drat thing we say.

I know I could be wrong about this and, ultimately, I’m not going to be the deciding vote. I just feel that’s why Warren is better than the other non-Bernie candidates.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

twodot posted:

This is a perplexing one for me, because while I could understand both "I'll take any idiot's money, their views won't corrupt mine" and "I won't accept money from rich people to demonstrate my commitment to loving over rich people", the stance of "Well I don't really need rich people's money in the primary, but I do need their money in the general" is devoid of both principles and practicality. I have no clue what she thinks she is signaling with that mixed strategy.

Could be “I won the base without your help. You’re stuck with me as the dem nominee now. Take it or leave it.”

I could be giving too much credit.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

twodot posted:

That's a strategy, but I don't see what's stopping donors from saying "leave it" if they actually believe that Warren's principles are in conflict with their interests. Presumably refusing their money in the primary is staking a claim she doesn't want to stump for the donor class, but if that were true bothering to accept money from people who don't even agree with you is a bizarre strategy.

Well, there’s also the DNC itself which will take any kind of money from any corporate donor or lobbying group. Even if Bernie’s the nominee, that money will find a way to him. Sure, they could tell the DNC “no corporate money” and they’ll be like “Haha! Sure. Ok grandpa”.

It’s a long road but we gotta make ground somewhere.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

generic one posted:

Right, I can understand the hesitancy to commit one way or the other. It can work in local or statewide elections, even a presidential primary, but I don’t think we’ve seen that kind of commitment, much less a result that ended in a win, in the general election for president, have we?

I’m not necessarily excusing the stance, just honestly wondering how viable it is, given that elections are now blowing through (close to) a billion dollars each cycle.

Amount of money does not equal quality of campaign. See 2016.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

generic one posted:

I agree that raising a lot of money doesn’t guarantee how well that money’s going to be spent. My point is, I don’t think there’s a candidate for president who has won the general election just off of small, individual donors, especially since the Citizens United decision, which is a significant factor.

Election funding is hosed in the US, for the foreseeable future, until that’s been reconciled. Some state level initiatives have made headway there, but at the national level, yeah, hosed.

Sanders made it clear it can be done effectively, but to much chagrin, he still came up short. Is the eventual nominee going to go up against the RNC with a fully unproven funding strategy and not have some concern? I’d love to think so, but I’d also like a Pegasus and a golden egg laying goose, while they’re at it.

It’s cold, sure, but until there’s substantial election reform, it’s just the reality of the situation. It sucks. For loving real.

I think we’ve hit a turning point. For decades (or centuries you could argue), politicians have been using their relationships with big donor money to create a buffer or barrier between them the regular public. “We’re up here making the big decisions while the plebs stay down there, focused on their own problems.” That’s why it’s always a big deal when an “average person” beats an incumbent politician, like AOC’s election for instance. People are getting more and more desperate to break down that barrier. You could argue that, in 2016, Trump manipulated the parasocial relationships he developed as a tv star/famous rich non-politician to beat an opponent who spent most of her career behind that barrier.

An image as someone wanting to break down that barrier could be somewhat of a counter to “traditional fundraising”. Maybe I’m too much of an optimist.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

Damage Case posted:

except she literally didn't

“But she got three million votes more than Trump!!!”

People will respond with this without a hint of irony or self reflection.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

Nemo2342 posted:

This is definitely going to be the first primary I've ever voted in.

This is the first Democratic primary for me. Finally changed my voter affiliation two years ago after being registered R for waaaaaaay too long. Voted in Republican primaries before. Made sure I voted against the same-sex marriage ban when my state put it on the primary ballot in 2012.

Voted against Trump in 2016 to no avail.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

So, in other words, take the plan that's been shredded by GOP courts and executive branch for almost a decade, try to build it back up to what it once was, then improve it by making it into what it was supposed to be when it was a House bill 10 years ago.

Brilliant plan, Joe. I am in awe.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

I like how each candidate is speaking with more and more inflection as they move down the line.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

mcmagic posted:

I think they are all super flat and unenergetic.

They definitely are. It's just so noticeable when they're that flat.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

"Your plan will raise taxes for the middle class"

Jake Tapper is beating off under the moderator table now.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

What are they shouting now?

"End deportation"?

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

"We get to cherry pick immigrants!"

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

Ershalim posted:

Gillibrand with the fumble

"Oh poo poo! I have to speak now."

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

Nonsense posted:

This poo poo's Rigged Sorry

"Tonight in Detroit, Joe Biden is bringing it.

The former vice president, who has more high-profile experience on debate stages than most of his rivals combined, turned in a lackluster performance at the first debate in Miami last month. So far tonight, it’s like he’s a new man."

Who the gently caress wrote that?

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

https://twitter.com/aubreymonty/status/1156759168394694656?s=20

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

gently caress. joe303303.com goes to Trump's website.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

So this explains why she thought flubbing your own campaign's website was considered "finishing strong".

https://twitter.com/mediaite/status/1156789637064646656?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

Quick update. Bernie's interview is STILL trending #1 on YouTube and it's up to 4.3 million views!