Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Inappropriate Toucher 18 1.46%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 665 54.11%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 319 25.96%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 26 2.12%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 5 0.41%
Julian Castro, the Twin 5 0.41%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 5 0.41%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 17 1.38%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 3 0.24%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 8 0.65%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 86 7.00%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 23 1.87%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 32 2.60%
Eric Swalwell, the Insurance Wife Guy 2 0.16%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.08%
Bill de Blasio, the NYPD Most Hated 4 0.33%
Tim Ryan, the Dope Face 3 0.24%
John Hickenlooper, the Also Ran 7 0.57%
Total: 1229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Is the show any good?

Surprisingly so, yes. S2 is much, much better than S1 though.

Grapplejack posted:

I wonder if Sanders would pick up Harris as VP, or if she'd even accept that

I actually think it's possible, although I wouldn't call it likely, at least atm. She's probably more useful in the Senate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Koalas March posted:

Real talk: with so many people trying to hide their bigotry and terrible opinions behind the "comedy forum" label a few years ago it was like the forums version of "it's just a prank bro!" and you can bet anyone saying it is probably a piece of poo poo

Sounds like you just have to learn to take a joke - and yes, the punchline of that joke is white supremacy.:smug:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

have you seen my baby posted:

2016 the most ridiculous thing that could happen was that television personality Donald Trump would win the Republican nomination and then the White House.

2020 the most ridiculous thing that could happen is that television personality Marianne Williamson wins the Democratic nomination and then the White House.

Nah, at this point Beto winning anything going forward would be more ridiculous.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

HootTheOwl posted:

And you shouted them all down and they've left. That's how a forum works. Warren or Harris will make the news again and you'll shout down their supporters again and the thread will be in agreement again.

Do you have an example of people "shouting them down"? As opposed to "reasonably disagreeing and laying out compelling reasons for doing so"?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

This is awesome, although as others have pointed out, he does need to more frequently and clearly tie his brand of justice into things like reproductive rights, racial justice, etc. After all, he is better on those issues than any of his opponents. It's time he trumpets that more.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

generic one posted:

Just as a casual observer and infrequent poster, I’ve gotta ask, do you read the posts in this thread, or just skim for tweets and article links? ‘Cause, it’s all over the place. Some dipshit even suggested gulags for people who said they’d be fine with Warren if Sanders wasn’t the nominee.

Be specific. If it's all over the place, it shouldn't be too hard to come up with an example. People arguing why Bernie is better than Warren or whatever is in no ways the same thing as "shouting people down."

papa horny michael posted:

https://www.marianne2020.com/issues/healthcare

"I robustly support high-quality universal health coverage for every American. I will do this by making medicare an 0ption on the Obamacare exchanges. Over time, more people will migrate to medicare. I also support federal subsidies to ensure medical coverage for every American, even those in states which have refused medicaid expansion.

Those who wish to keep their private insurance may do so."

Unfortunate. This plus the anti-vaxxer poo poo plus opposing BDS makes her pretty unacceptable.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Z. Autobahn posted:

I'm gonna chime in real quick and say that no, it is very much those 3-4 extremely obnoxious posters that make this thread basically unbearable and drove most of us away. Like, you're right that folks like you and Marjoran and even VS, while we disagree, are actually engaging and interesting to talk to and I feel like I often learn something or have a worthwhile conversation. But the "Warren is a fascist and if you back her you're worse than Trump" moron brigade is *really* loving annoying and they post constantly and make this thread unbearable.

Like I would absolutely enjoy a thread where I could talk to you and other folks and genuinely discuss something like this, but this thread ain't it.

You know what, that's fair. I'm very much of the "Sanders and Warren fans should express their disagreements, but shouldn't attack each other and shouldn't say stupid poo poo about each others' candidates" mentality. I'd like it if annoying hyperbole-posting stopped here.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

the most disheartening thing about the primary is even if sanders wins we're pretty hosed. it's not like he's going to be able to transform our energy system in time to stave off catastrophic climate change. gently caress did they even ask anything about climate in the debates?

I don't think it does anybody any good to say that we're hosed no matter what. We may be, but we have a chance, at least, if we get Bernie. We can't give up hope if we're going to survive as a species.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

How are u posted:

Why's that?

Warren's pretty not-great on Israel/Palestine.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

joepinetree posted:

Yes, Warren has gotten better in recent months and joined several of Bernie's resolutions. But I don't particularly trust leftwing conversions on the even of announcing a bid for presidency.

:agreed: If she keeps up having not-terrible positions on Israel/Palestine from now until people actually start voting, I'll probably reconsider my assessment of her foreign policy. But for now, one can't fairly say that she and Bernie are the same on I/P or on foreign policy more broadly, because they're really not.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Very brave toxx, Ogmius.

Judakel posted:

This panic over traditional media is hilarious considering how horribly it has failed to control the narrative since 2016. The rest of "political media" is pretty evenly divided between left and right. Leftists have made a lot of progress in controlling the narrative online.

It still has a disproportionate level of influence over Democratic primary voters and especially Democratic party elites, unfortunately.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Judakel posted:

Maybe. Remember, boomers have been collectively overtaken by other generations as a portion of the electorate. We will see how successful we are at engaging them.

:agreed: I'm optimistic, but the mainstream media still has a lot of clout to gently caress with these primaries, which is lovely. Launch Chuck Todd into space.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Punk da Bundo posted:

there isn’t one candidate with good views on Israel , Israel should be treated and regarded like apartheid South Africa . It’s a shame, really , that people are so afraid to stand up for what is right .

It's true that none of their views are particularly good, but Bernie's are by far the least-bad.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Punk da Bundo posted:

we’ve been settling for least bad for so long

No we haven't dude, come on. You know better than that. We've been settling for "exactly as bad as the Republicans" for a long time.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Punk da Bundo posted:

That seems to be “least bad” as far as Israel goes , that both parties have the same level of fervent defense of Israel .

And yet now we have someone who genuinely is better on Israel than pretty much any major candidate we've had since 1948. That's something to get excited about.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

1948 seems like a strange year to pick; especially as Israel didn't actually have much if any support from the US during the war of independence and in fact had actually more support from the USSR at the time. I'd pick 1967 or so as when US Israeli policy begins to get one sided in a US-USSR Cold War geopolitical dichotomy.

Pedant.:jerkbag:

I genuinely did not know this about McGovern. Good for him!

TulliusCicero posted:

I actually expect that if Bernie becomes the nominee they will try to find a way to say he is anti-semitic somehow

AIPAC and Israel and the Shapiro-Adelson Evangelicals posing as Jews will find a way

Oh don't worry, Shapiro's already found a way: call them fake Jews. (which he does to anyone to the left of Bibi, regularly)

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

TulliusCicero posted:

Lol at evangelical Shapiro questioning anyone's "jewishness"

Isn't he an Orthodox Jew? I'm pretty sure he's observant, he's just so Zionist that all of his friends are extreme Evangelicals.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

He's Michael Scott. He's been possessed by a TV character. There's no other explanation.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Ogmius815 posted:

Yeah Clinton wasn’t even remotely electable. She only thrashed your guy in a nationwide primary and came within 70,000 votes in three states of winning. Not remotely electable.

I love that your metric for her being electable is, A, barely beating a primary challenger who wasn't running a serious campaign with the help of a super-friendly DNC, and B, losing to lovely reality TV star and noted rapist Donald Trump.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

LinYutang posted:

Bernie has been seriously campaigning for four years. Thus far he has a ceiling of around 20% with total name recognition. The premise of creating a broad working class coalition to push through transformative change hasn't at all come to fruition; his polling among black voters is still dismal. But people still insist he is "electable."

So there probably is something to the idea that "electable" is a sophisticated way to say "candidate I agree with."

What polling info shows that he’s doing dismally among black voters?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Calibanibal posted:

NH is 95% white and 70% men and the average age is 63. I wonder why Bernie is popular there?

Tough to say - he does very well with POC voters, women, and young people, so...?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

What's your source?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Ah, I see - so you're using a poll where Biden soaks up a large amount of black voter support, under the assumption that he's going to keep black voters' support for the foreseeable future.

Fascinating stuff, as always, Typo.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

What, exactly, do you think this demonstrates?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Typo posted:

what do you think

I don't know, that's why I'm asking you. You're the one making the argument.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Z. Autobahn posted:

I mean... he's using polls that show... what the polls are showing... as opposed to polls that show what... theoretically could happen? I don't understand this argument. Polls show us where support currently is. Obviously things could change in any of a million ways, but... that's not what polls are?

They don't exactly support his argument that Sanders isn't doing well with POCs.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Z. Autobahn posted:

Right, as has been the case for the months, there's a widespread disagreement on what "doing well with a group" means. Does it mean % of your supporters that are that group? Does it mean your fav/unfav with that group? Or does it mean how you rank as a preferred candidate with that group? Bernie has always done very well in metrics 1 and 2 with black voters, less so with metric 3. The problem is, when it comes to a primary, metric 3 is what actually matters.

As Oh Snapple! pointed out, we were talking about POC voters in general, not exclusively black voters. Typo's caricature of POC voters deliberately excludes Latinx voters (and really all POCs besides black voters).

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

https://twitter.com/NPR/status/1145482206833459200

And yes, the replies are :waycool:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

GreyjoyBastard posted:

his mustache still feels weird

Right? I’m still not convinced he’s not secretly Richard Dreyfuss.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

LinYutang posted:

Not die-hard leftists, but my local Our Revolution chapter has already begun splitting, with a core group of people defecting to Warren. Sanders' positions and rhetoric on race seems to be a dividing line, like his vote on the 1994 crime reform bill.

Yes, I'm sure these people that you know that actually exist are voting for Warren because of Bernie's vote on the '94 crime bill.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

CelestialScribe posted:

This is why Democrats need to run on M4A being a pro-business policy.

No one actually cares about M4A helping businesses. They care about M4A helping themselves and their families.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

CelestialScribe posted:

Business owners do.

Ah, so you're saying that for every non-business owner vote the Democrats lose, they'll gain two business owner votes if they follow your grand strategy of tacking to the right on all things. Brilliant.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

I didn't see this posted earlier. It's mostly stuff we already know, but having it in one twitter thread is always handy:

https://twitter.com/niktaylorde/status/1145281507449286656

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

https://twitter.com/willmenaker/status/1146123379344363521

Harris bad.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

VH4Ever posted:

Meh. Not sure why nationwide numbers matter since this isn't a "nationwide" election yet. Nice to see the overall sentiment is at least behind one of the Bernie/Warren duo but yeah, to me this poll is useless.

Yeah, what I find more telling are Bernie's small donor numbers. Those show a lot more strength than these polls represent.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Helsing posted:

The primary is far from over and we need to remember that going forward Harris will start to face a lot more scrutiny. Much like with Biden this is a painful but necessary part of the process: somebody has to actually go negative on Harris and start using her record against her. Arguably it is good that Biden is fading so fast that the real contest can begin, the one that pits woke washed neoliberal authoritarians against an insurgent social democratic grassroots movement. After all, it won't be enough for Bernie to win, he has to actually start salting the earth for future neoliberal candidates. The stretch goal here needs to be that whatever the outcome of the primary, the path to power for the Hillary and Biden style candidates is cut off permanently.

It helps that Biden still has enough time and resources to start hitting back at Harris. I think he's doomed, but hopefully he'll take her down with him.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Helsing posted:

At some point the left of the party needs to find a way to confidently criticize the Clinton/Harris/Booker approach of woke washing neoliberalism through superficial appeals to diversity. That's not a critique you can wait on Biden to make for you.

Oh sure, there's plenty that Bernie and the left have to be proactive on, and that's a big one. But Biden will fire back at Harris, and he will hurt her, mark my words. Probably not enough to take her down entirely on his own, but enough to help Bernie.

quote:

Frankly the ideal spokesperson for this would be someone like AOC, and if she continues to avoid getting her hands dirty during the primary I'd say that is a serious warning sign that she's not the great new hope everyone thought she was.

Eh, it's really early. I think she'll endorse before Iowa, but not before then. But I do think she'll endorse Bernie.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Oh Snapple! posted:

It's definitely something that really cant come from Bernie himself due to pre-existing narratives - it cant even come from his campaign staff, as any comments from, say, Turner or Gray will just be attributed to "Bernie's staff (which you should assume is white and male)."

It is not an optimal situation.

It's not, but it's not an insurmountable obstacle. I do think it's a case that Bernie can make himself if he does it carefully and precisely, ie: "Company A flew a rainbow flag last month for Pride Month, but they don't provide X, Y, and Z benefits that LGBTQ+ employees really need." And "X, Y, and Z benefits" should be things that specifically target that community, not just broad things like wages, so that he's showing the community in question that he's actually paying attention to their particular needs.

Willie Tomg posted:

Trump was polling at 1% by this time in 2015 for gently caress's sake.

And Friend Ben was in the lead around then too, IIRC.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Mellow Seas posted:

Source? Considering we are post-escalator anniversary that seems way wrong to me. I remember him taking off pretty much immediately, and then everybody spent six months assuming he would collapse at some point. I could be wrong.

A bit of an exaggeration, but not much of one actually. Trump was at 6% at the beginning of July 2015. He started spiking around the 15th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

If she endorses Warren she's unironically canceled.

:agreed:

Willie Tomg posted:

AOC is a year-old freshman house rep in direct ideological conflict with both the current speaker as well as those for whom the speaker is carrying the water--who are, to be clear: armed and organized white nationalists. I do not stan her like some do, but there is a compelling case to be made for her eating the elephant one bite at a time.

This is pretty much where I'm at. I think some of her previous shittiness on issues like Israel and Venezuela were evidence of her trying to make nice with the party leadership. My hope now is that her recent actions and rhetoric, particularly on the concentration camps, reflects a break with Pelosi and other shitlibs.