Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Inappropriate Toucher 18 1.46%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 665 54.11%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 319 25.96%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 26 2.12%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 5 0.41%
Julian Castro, the Twin 5 0.41%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 5 0.41%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 17 1.38%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 3 0.24%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 8 0.65%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 86 7.00%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 23 1.87%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 32 2.60%
Eric Swalwell, the Insurance Wife Guy 2 0.16%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.08%
Bill de Blasio, the NYPD Most Hated 4 0.33%
Tim Ryan, the Dope Face 3 0.24%
John Hickenlooper, the Also Ran 7 0.57%
Total: 1229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

it's pretty funny how questioning the sanctity of saturday night live is what's done her in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

ok warren could theoretically get democrats to vote for her but bernie consistently polls with a much bigger margin against trump than her

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

this is something people should have learned after the 2016 election but "popular among democrats" does not necessarily mean "popular among general election voters"

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

vivazomo posted:

The average American has no idea what busing is and would oppose it if they learned what it is because they are racist.

i think this explains harris trying to thread the needle on favoring it back then but not liking the idea of it now because rich dem donors would pitch a fit if the idea were floated of integrating today's schools

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Are there any ways to integrate schools other than busing

desegregate the country

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Iamgoofball posted:

so what the gently caress do you want then, are you just going to vote for trump then? because if you're going to vote for trump, then i think you're on the wrong forums, you should try that gab website i think it's more up your alley

if you want trump to lose and you dont care which not-trump wins you clearly shouldnt be supporting warren and by all evidence should be backing biden

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Iamgoofball posted:

biden seems to be a one trick pony and getting out fundraised by beto(i think, i need to go check who it was again) shows that the money isn't betting on biden either

money isnt votes though

e: he was outraised last quarter by butt who is even more doomed in an election matchup with trump than warren is

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Iamgoofball posted:

when it comes down to it i'm not even sure if trump is beatable when it comes to an election matchup unless you have someone who can be as much of a douchebag publicly as he can
bernie might be able to out-yell him but he looks too drat old for trump to not capitalize on it, even though he himself is only a little younger than bernie
biden has too many pictures of him looking like a total creeper, no way trump would walk away from that easy of an opportunity for a riff
warren's got the pocohontas insult poo poo already going, and he started that way ahead of time too
pete's got the word butt in his name, he's never living that down

yeah which is why the country needed michael "basta" avenatti

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

ross perot was right about nafta

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

pretty good for bernie tbh since the news has spent the last two months or so in lockstep saying that bernie has no plans or policy ideas

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Typo posted:

I think the obvious solution would be for Bernie to adopt some of Warren's policies, that way you get best of both worlds: warrne's popular policies and bernie's electability

personally i prefer bernie's plan of cancelling all student debt and paying for it with a financial transaction tax over warren's idea of canceling up to $50000 of student debt and paying for it with ???

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Jaxyon posted:

Warren''s plan has a cap on what it cancels but also doesn't cancel debt for rich people, and uses a wealth tax vs a stock market transaction tax, bernie's cancels it for everyone including those who don't need it cancelled but also doesn't cap the cancellation.

Bernie's is clearly better but both are pretty good, but definitely we're making calm and rational criticisms of policy by pretending aspects of policy don't exist for people we don't like, and as a internet liberal I don't see gender so that couldn't possibly be it, ever.

rich people dont have college debt, excluding them from forgiveness is pointless. its just as silly as saying that trump's kids shouldnt get free public college, no billionaire would be caught dead sending their kids to a public school

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Typo posted:

I suspect there's people in this very thread whose parents make >$100k but have student debt

in fact warren's plan with its phaseouts basically seems to exclude doctors and only doctors, who are the ones with the biggest piles of student debt and who are the ones who get paid enough to go over the phaseouts when their careers finally begin at age 35 or whatever

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

warren was building political capital by not running in 2016

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Berke Negri posted:

there is definitely an argument either way, and clearly warren decided not running was the more secure option, but i do think she'd be starting on a much better footing this year had she ran

warren would be on much better footing this year if she had ran in 2016 because she would be the incumbent president

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

first, it's not quite the government "paying off" student loan debt since iirc like 95% of student loan debt is owed to the federal government, and just like any other creditor the government can forgive the debt if it feels like it

second, i am not sure what you mean when you quote a quote that says "we will make public colleges tuition free" and then say "but how will people pay for tuition?" if you are predicting that the public colleges will get full and some students will be forced to go to private colleges that are not tuition free, the solution is to hire more teachers and open more schools.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Epicurius posted:

I mean the new students who don't go to a public school or HBE? Because according to that Fortune article, it's only going to be education at state schools, trade schools, and HBUs that's going to be free for students. So, say Sanders gets elected in 2020 and Congress passes the bill on inauguration day 2021. So then, lets say I'm high school class of 2021, and go to college in fall of 2021. I don't go to a state school or an HBU, so I've got to pay tuition, which I can't afford, so I have to take out loans. Are you saying that those loans will capped at 1.88% interest?

the sanders-omar-jayapal bill caps interest on student loans at the rate the government pays for its debt, which they quote as currently 1.88%. not sure if this is only public or private loans, but again nearly all student debt, even for people who go to private schools, is owed to the government. the privately-held school debt is mainly owed by students who were preyed on by predatory for-profit schools

Epicurius posted:

The public colleges are full now, and budgets there are being cut.

the tax on wall street included in the bill would raise an absurd amount of money. the money goes to the states to spend on, among other things, building more schools and hiring more faculty

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

marianne is good

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Majorian posted:

I love that you can't tell the difference in terms of power standings between a senator running in a Democratic primary, and a President with a popular mandate aimed at seriously overhauling things.:allears:

people still base their expectation on what a president is able to accomplish and how much he can push the narrative on what obama did compared to what he said he wanted to do (the statement of what he wanted to do of course mostly being lies)

both bush and trump came in with agendas that sound impossibly ambitious when you say it out loud that they could convince everyone to go along with it ("end the supposed post-cold war era of global peace and create a new unending global state of war," and "make every person in the world pay attention to me at all times") but they did it easy peasy

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

DARPA posted:

The fact he said white people feeling uncomfortable voting for black candidates isn't racist.

Oh Snapple! posted:

That's not what he did.

his postmortem on gillum and abrams losing was that they lost because of racism that makes white people hesitatant to vote for black people, but on the other hand the fact that both gillum and abrams nearly won after embracing him (gillum especially), despite the headwinds of racism, is evidence that racism can be beaten with a strong progressive agenda (similarly to how obama won a much higher share of white votes than hillary despite being black by having a much better campaign message than she did). since the media loathes nuance and always wants to stir up poo poo they ignored what he said and reported it as "bernie says dems must pander to racists"

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jul 10, 2019

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

roberts's M.O. has been to guess what is the absolute limit he can go to before mainstream liberals begin openly questioning the integrity of the supreme court and then go right up to that limit. he correctly guessed that if he didnt kill obamacare himself but instead told the states they can kill obamacare, that anger would not be focused on him but instead on the republican state governments

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Gyges posted:

Aren't these things already part of your score? I know a few years ago a lack of rental/property ownership records was a ding on my score.

credit scores are computed however the company computing the scores feels like computing it

she basically wants the credit score companies to include rent payments if they arent, with the idea that since poor people dont have credit cards or mortgages the credit score companies dont bother keeping a file on them so nobody wants to loan them money

its a silly idea because the reason that poor people have bad or no credit scores is because they are poor, which is reflected by them not being able to get a mortgage, or having to carry credit card debt to live. having no money is going to also be reflected in someone's rent or utility bills

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jul 11, 2019

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

lol

Legislation to amend the Fair Credit Reporting Act has already received bipartisan support. A bill introduced in 2017 by former House Representative Keith Ellison, a Democrat from Minnesota, that would require this additional data in credit scoring managed to pass the House of Representatives. The Senate version of that bill, which was authored by Senator Tim Scott, a Republican from South Carolina, attracted both Democratic and Republicans co-sponsors, though Harris was not among them.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

my biggest problem with warren, just like my biggest problem was with hillary, is that she would lose to trump

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Punk da Bundo posted:

I don’t understand any support for Butt at all . When he speaks he never says anything . Like platitudes about service or virtue or endless nonsense .

thats what presidents on tv talk about which is why they like him

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Punk da Bundo posted:

what tv shows are popular right now that have a president ?

Or are people still endlessly rewatching the west wing

Remember the 90s when every movie President was like mitt Romney with a spine

the west wing and hazy half-remembered recollections of jfk also being youngish and saying that americans should do things for their country

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

News headline: Bernie Sanders leads crooked poll

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Marxalot posted:

But she's a politician -now- and thus can't be trusted. But if you want to keep sticking your hand in the fire, repeatedly, for the cause of the center-right that keeps swearing up and down that they're really all about Progressive Hope and Change(tm) then be my guest I suppose.

That's kind of shocking. Aren't those the pod save america weirds?

if you click to their analysis of their poll they have ten bullet points, only two of which mention sanders, and then only as part of the point. the two mentions of sanders are "low awareness voters like sanders" and "sanders supporters are more likely than other candidates' supporters to say that the candidate's positions are important". the latter point is literally the last sentence in the article

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

lots of "independent" family farms are under contract from an agribusiness company where they get seed or young animals from smithfield or tyson or whoever, then sell the product to the same company at a contract-specified price. just like any other "independent contracting" situation the company gets to dictate the terms of the contract because the farmer has no market power. in addition the farmer of course assumes the risk of the crop not producing due to poor weather, disease, etc. (they can of course buy insurance against that but that stuff is expensive)

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jul 12, 2019

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

lol

quote:

"If you were looking to buy a rising stock, you would look at future market share and indicators of strong fundamentals,” said Adam Green, co-founder of the Progressive Change Campaign Committee, which backs Warren.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

mcmagic posted:

Warren should pay her interns immediately.

as the article explains she does pay her interns however she does not pay her "fellows" who perform the exact same tasks as the interns

fact check: four pinnochios

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

look everyone knows that as soon as someone who is smart is in charge everything will instantly be fixed

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

yes, there are many people who want to do political work but need money to eat. but what about those who want to do political work but can be self-sufficient on food and rent by getting money from their parents? shouldnt they get extra opportunities in exchange for the money they are saving the campaign?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

lol

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Pinky Artichoke posted:

I didn't realize that the purpose of the debates was to hear random voices.

yeah thats why they are grabbing literally random people off the street instead of putting requirements of needing 65,000 donors to demonstrate public support

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

crystal lady brought a million times more to the debate as bennett, tim ryan, swallwel, hickenlooper, delaney, de blasio, and moultoon did put together

gravel would as well

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Awful CompSloth posted:

I love how people here always complain that all the no names are white men. Gillibrand is as much of a joke as them, Wayne Messam can't even get on the stage and Stacey Abrams wouldn't crack 2% or 3% and would have a lot less to say than the hype would have you expect.

how could you forget the klobb

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

biden already promised to cure cancer if elected during one of his first campaign speeches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

warren will make ICE eco-friendly just like her plan to fix the military