Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Inappropriate Toucher 18 1.46%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 665 54.11%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 319 25.96%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 26 2.12%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 5 0.41%
Julian Castro, the Twin 5 0.41%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 5 0.41%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 17 1.38%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 3 0.24%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 8 0.65%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 86 7.00%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 23 1.87%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 32 2.60%
Eric Swalwell, the Insurance Wife Guy 2 0.16%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.08%
Bill de Blasio, the NYPD Most Hated 4 0.33%
Tim Ryan, the Dope Face 3 0.24%
John Hickenlooper, the Also Ran 7 0.57%
Total: 1229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Jaxyon posted:

To be very clear, I think the fact that you idiots can't stop posting about me saying "oh yeah, I've heard people have an issue with his yelling" isn't because I think you're hiding a secret fear or motivation, and very much because you can't help but shout down anything at all that even sounds critical of your guy. Even if the person in question started out the conversation by saying "I don't know if it's a big deal".

Here's my original post for perspective.

the one who can't stop posting about it, is you.

i like to lurk this thread sometimes to see what more left-of-center people are thinking. you're making it unreadable. now that's it's obvious you have an axe to grind, please just post about what your main concern is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Charlz Guybon posted:

It's because he grew up with him and knows him personally.

I know a lot of people on this forum believe that emotions, family, friends, etc. have no meaning but that's not how human beings work. It ain't rocket science.

it's fine and normal to factor those things into your political beliefs and decisions. but making extremely long posts that boil down to nothing but those things doesnt make a lot lf sense in a forum focused around debating and discussing, imo

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

PerniciousKnid posted:

I don't really understand why unworkable job guarantees get the time of day from leftists, when an income guarantee would be much simpler and wouldn't require a bunch of exceptions for disability, the elderly, etc.

most job guarantee programs function as a means to help the poor, a minimum wage/employment conditions standard, and as a price stability mechanism. ubi is just a redistribution program as far as i can tell

here's one of the economists associated with job guarantee proposals's faq: https://www.pavlina-tcherneva.net/job-guarantee-faq

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
JG and UBI aren't mutually exclusive, though i recognize that for political reasons pushing for one precludes pushing for the other (at least for a while). since the JG jobs don't necessarily have to follow profit-driven logic, a lot of activity that we think of as socially useful or merely in the public good could be done as a paid job. so, even if capitalists entirely automate the stuff that works within the profit-motive, there are still other useful (though unprofitable) things that people could do. it's a pretty flexible program, so one could imagine a JG being implemented tomorrow which provides a number/types of jobs that are entirely different than what the same program would provide once automation starts ramping up.

if your goal is just to redistribute material resources, then a UBI's better, imo. but people like JG programs because they do some of the things UBI does, and some other things as well. i'm sort of agnostic on which one (assuming you could only do one) would be better to implement in the short term.

i'd encourage people to check out that faq i linked. i initially scoffed at the general idea of a job guarantee, but after reading more about it i think it's a pretty good policy.

Finicums Wake fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Aug 9, 2019

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Ytlaya posted:

I like how we're apparently calling "saying incredibly racist poo poo" gaffes now. Like it's just a goofy case of misspeaking.

biden's behavior is hosed up. both on its merits, and viewed in isolation. but what is equally if not more hosed up is how the press is treating his so-called 'gaffes,' especially compared with other candidates' non-gaffe statements.