Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

golem_ii
Dec 22, 2004

So i've just built a new system with the below:

Specs

MSI MPG Z390 Motherboard
I9 9900k
Corsair H115i Platinum Cooler
MSI RTX 2080ti Gaming Trio
32gb Corsair Vengeance RAM
500GB Samsung 970 M2 NVME

Problem

Pretty stronk right? Well it would be if I could get it to loving work.

Everything's installed and the PC powers on, I can get to the BIOS no problem. It sees everything - the processor, the ram, the NVME drive. It all looks fine. All the fans and RGBs!!!!! work fine.

But windows just will not install. I created a USB boot drive for win10 64bit using the Microsoft Creation Tool. When I plug it in and try to boot from it the spinning icon goes once then stops. And it just freezes like that, won't go any further.

Attempted Fixes

Things I have tried:

- USB stick in another computer - works fine.
- Formatting the stick and creating boot media again.
- Fiddling with BIOS settings (UEFI on / legacy on / legacy off / secure boot disabled). When it's just UEFI it sees the UEFI partition on the USB. when it's UEFI/Legacy it sees the UEFI and the other partition. Trying to boot from either UEFI or legacy does the same freezing thing.
- unplugging the GPU (saw this on an MSI thread where someone had the same issue, he said resolved it by installing using motherboard's onboard graphics. But mine doesn't have onboard graphics so there's no display with the GPU uninstalled)
- Clearing CMOS
-Moved USB socket (at first it was in a 3.0 so i changed to 2.0 but made no difference)
-Tried removing a stick of ram and booting with just one, no effect, swapped the sticks, no effect

Recent Changes

It's a brand new system.

OS

Win 10 x64

UK

Googled?

Tons. It seems to be a common problem with no real solutions that I can find.

I cannot understand why it's doing this. My first thought was a dodgy usb but it works fine in my other PC (boots into windows setup immediately).

Can anyone help?!

golem_ii fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jun 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

golem_ii
Dec 22, 2004

Fixed it. Just needed a BIOS update :banjo: