Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Ether Frenzy posted:

drat Tremek. Glad everyone made it out okay, sorry to hear about your house and things.

RIP That AMG.

This.

My jaw dropped when I saw the merc. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Spider-man Far From Home was fun, take your kids.

Didn't realize it was out already. Might have to try and do that soon.

I will not take my <2 year old, however. I don't know what the minimum age is that kids can handle movies in a theater, but we're not there yet. Not that I haven't seen some people try and then get annoyed when they throw a fit. Once, I saw a toddler at a 3 hour movie that started at 8pm and couldn't fathom how the parents thought that would end well. I think they made it about 30 minutes.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jul 2, 2019

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

And here I thought kids were expensive.

Urge to pet is strong.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Powershift posted:

In other news, WITNESS ME, BLOODBAGS

The hero AI deserves.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

slidebite posted:

I actively want my parents/in laws to go through as much of their money as they can before they kick it. It's theirs, they earned it. Enjoy it. If dad wants a 60s muscle car and he can afford it, do it. Buy a big RV and explore? Knock yourself out.

Just for the love of god all I want them to do is downsize/get rid of their poo poo before they get too old. If they get hit by a bus going through all the junk they've amassed in the past few decades which are mostly garage sale finds would be absolutely painful and make us kids rent a dumpster to clean out their house.

Amen. My dad that's retired loves going to garage sales and acquiring poo poo, and I really, really don't want to deal with that.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Can't use an o2 socket on that one?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Ah. If you unplug it (have to anyway) I'm not sure how you'd damage wires.

E: reread and I see what you're saying. Never had a problem I guess but haven't needed to remove too many thankfully. They're always a motherfucker to get out either way.

Come to think of it, I don't even have a set of crow's feet wenches, haven't ever really needed them or have managed things the hard way without I guess.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jul 7, 2019

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I have a printer at work and if I'm really in a bind, I'll just go to the library and pay 10 cents.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Finaaaally finished Stranger Things 3. Please everyone watch it so we can discuss it openly.

It was pretty decent. I feel like if they do another season the kids will be too old and it'll be even more disjointed than this season though.

Still not sure what to think about a certain person's fate after the end credits scene. They were my favorite before this season so hopefully they return.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

meatpimp posted:

So I waited from just before 8:30 until just after 9:15. No call. I went out for a bit and came back to find he called at 9:25 and left a message with no apology whatsoever for completely blowing me off for almost an hour past when he said he would call.

If you don't have enough respect for my time and your word with a simple phone call, no way I'm making a deal with you, keeping basic promises is just common courtesy.

Seems a little harsh (he still called you back fairly early, within an hour window of when he said), but I have little expectations from dealers in the first place.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

What was the DTC? Front or rear o2?

Right tool for the job makes all the difference. I don't know how many times I've struggled with poo poo trying to use what I've got vs. what I NEED before breaking down and buying the odd shaped/short/long/right wrench or whatever. Most recent one I can think of is trying to get the oil drain line back on a Subaru EJ25 turbo. Holy poo poo it's impossible to do it and get the clamp in there without long neck needlenose pliers IIRC.

This is not meant to invoke CT to :eng101: but I'm sure it's coming one way or another. :v:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Looks like quite an impact. Here's hoping for a speedy recovery.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Wish we could have seen the preceding few minutes. Glad somebody stood up for the people getting harassed though.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

slidebite posted:

I'd take the Isuzu :shobon:

Think I posted last month (don't remember) but when my folks were visiting end of last month Dad ended up needing some emergency hernia surgery and they discovered a mass in his lung during imaging for the hernia.

Just confirmed Stage III lung cancer. Lifelong smoker until about 4 years ago and is in the best shape I've ever seen him in (he's my stepdad, married my Mom about 21 years ago). If it wasn't for the hernia we'd never know.

Not great news obviously, but since we found out about the mass not a surprise. Had a couple weeks to prepare for it.

I am now preparing for roller coaster ride that's just beginning. :(

Don't think I slept more than 45 minutes last night knowing this news was coming down the pipe.

A new concern I have, and I realized this last night lying in bed, is keeping them away from all the cancer bullshit on the internet and they are on facebook all the loving time.

Goondolences. :( My mom is similar, lifelong smoker and was diagnosed with stage 4 COPD recently. Still not sure how to process it all.

And go back in the bottle genie, I don't want any of that poo poo. :v:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Kind of reminds me of the Aventador/AMG GT console layout (crazy angle vs more flat) but with a weird sectioned thing walling off the passenger. It's like a caricature of the C7's similar little handle that started to section off the driver from the passenger. It looks a bit odd to me still but maybe it'll grow on me.

I also don't like the steering wheel shape or the spoiler, but overall it's a pretty ok looking car. At first I thought it looked like a car from GTA like a generic supercar but it's already grown on me a bit.

E: That angle doesn't do it any favors really either. Despite the bad colors here you can get a better idea of how it looks.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Jul 19, 2019

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

One of the few times I'm glad I'll never get into a car in person. Even if I am getting old enough to be the target demographic just.... no.

:waycool:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

meatpimp posted:

Looks even worse in that picture, there's a literal wall between the driver and passenger. Such a bankrupt design.

Mr. "Potshot" sure used an interesting choice of words.

Just seems like an awkward evolution of the C7's weird handle thing, plus BUTTONS!

T-Square posted:

Well duh, it's American. Walls are the American way now.

:golfclap:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Ether Frenzy posted:

I'm surprised to learn that

Considering I see about that many of each every single day on the freeways of LA

Probably like 90% rentals.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Dude read the press release instead of having everybody drip feed details. There's no manual.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Fermented Tinal posted:

Look at all these chumps who don't know that peanut butter cookies are the best cookies.

I love peanut butter, but most things peanut butter flavored (especially cookies) I hate for some reason. Must be the gooey texture I'm missing. :v:

Most cookies are good except those garbage grocery store sugar cookies with gobs of way too sweet lovely frosting on top. Choc chip or double choc chip are my jam.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Applebees Appetizer posted:

So when did facebook marketplace for cars become 90% dealer adds?

gently caress this poo poo, I need a car but the private market sucks right now and I don't want to deal with dealerships for a used car what a pain in the dick.

Yep, feeling this. Been in the market for an SUV or van and have been trying different things without much success. Craigslist sucks now that it's not free, there's like 3 private sellers on all of autotrader, FB is terrible (and marketplace, as well), and I hate the dealer bullshit. I drove a car on Friday and told them I was going to look at other vehicles and already was texted, emailed, and called on Monday morning. Give it a loving rest guys.

Drove an Odyssey, wasn't crazy about it. Why does every van or decent size SUV have an old lovely V6?
Drove a CR-V, afraid it might be too small despite being able to fit (barely) 2 car seats in it. (fine for daily commuting but not weekend trips, but wife's Outback may be enough if we get a hitch carrier or roof container thing maybe).

Next up are probably driving a Ford Flex and a Traverse. Same big dumb V6 complaint applies to both.

Family car shopping sucks. :sigh:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Was about to suggest a Flex, that is our go-to family hauler. They are an incredibly high value right now. You can find low mileage ones at a great price which just goes to show I overpaid by way too much three years ago when I bought ours. :sigh: It is the best non-minivan thing I think. I have been pretty happy with it for the ~30K miles we have put on it. It is basically a minivan but AWD, fast as balls, but limited on cargo compared to a van. We have only three kids and we are done with that so the cargo is fine. I specifically found one with captains chairs in the middle and no center console, so I lose one seating position but getting to the third row with car seats in the middle seats is a breeze for the little ones. If I was to change it up I would probably consider a 5th gen 4Runner. I really like how they look. Something else not horrible and a great value is the Lexus GX models. They are based on the Land Cruiser Prado chassis and are really capable vehicles.

Did you get the ecoboost? They're silly money from what I can see. I'm looking to stay under 20k since that's about the value of my current car that I'll be ditching.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Tremek posted:

Legit suggestions: either a ‘13-‘14 Mercedes GL450 (4.7 TT V8) which is in every possible way a better car than a Flex/MKT/Explorer/other FoMoCo shitshows built on the same platform, or possibly a 08-11 Land Cruiser or LX570. The GL450 is a better/more practical car than any of the above, but the LC/LX come with bulletproof reliability. You can find examples of any of these around $20k now.

Seriously don’t buy a Flex.

I looked at these last night. I think a V8 TT is a hilarious proposition, especially on a higher mileage (~100k miles) merc to fit in my budget. This would be an only car so I don't think I'm comfortable with that prospect. I don't see them being cheap to maintain, but I don't know much about them admittedly. I didn't see any LC or LX570s within 200 miles within the budget by doing a quick search.

Honestly I'm getting sick of trying to find the right thing and about to give up and get something lovely and cheap since it's going to be fodder for babies and toddlers for the next few years.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Rhyno posted:

In the same situation right now.

Assuming you aren't having kids though still or did that change? Really going to rub it in to those incels then.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

MomJeans420 posted:

Sorry if this has already been posted, but I just found out about it so I don't think it's been in the chat. If you were affected by the Equifax data breach, you can collect $125 or 10 years of credit monitoring (or more if you spent time/money in response to the breach).

File a claim here

See if you were affected here

Verify the above URLs before you type in all your personal info here

It honestly sounded like some dumb facebook copy/paste scam to me, but when it's on the FTC's web site I'm going to assume it's real. I used to be involved in big class actions and honestly I think they're scams that gently caress over the individual and enrich the lawyers, but in this case $125 out of nowhere from a company no one likes seems worth the 3 minutes it took me to fill out the form.

Had my info stolen, somebody filed my taxes for me. :thumbsup: I still have no idea if my taxes have been accepted at this point. I sent it in as normal and owed money, which they gladly cashed that check immediately. Then they sent everything else back and required more signatures and info attached.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

meatpimp posted:

So, I ended up getting a third-party insurance policy just to ride a damned eBike. Interesting.

Chalk up another con for these things. I don't see the point of them except "it's cooler than a moped!"

Tremek posted:

TBD on how this will go but it feels like every single piece of this process is going to be aggravating and designed to get me to give up and accept as little as possible, and it’s tiring.

Best of luck, that sounds horrible.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I sold my old bike via Facebook marketplace for full asking price without any haggling to the first dude I set up a meeting with. Too late to buy a lottery ticket today?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

doogle posted:

No, it is the same as anY V8 VE commodore.

Tell me what service doc you need specifically (year, make, model, type of replacement, etc) and I can pull the official one. You have an SS iirc?

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jul 27, 2019

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

meatpimp posted:

Can't sleep, check the news, oh hey, another mass shooting. :911:

At a Garlic festival, no less. What the hell is wrong with people...

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

:hmmyes:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

:( So sorry man. Goondolences on all the poo poo you've been dealing with lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Applebees Appetizer posted:

It will not ever heal, it's permanent. If anything it could get worse. Just hoping at this point I won't ever need surgery (a last resort).

This is hitting me pretty hard because I'm an active person, just recently started working out and recovering from a debilitating shoulder injury feeling pretty good about myself (was posting in the AI workout thread about it), and now I'm back to being inactive indefinitely again. I have other health issues as well and it feels like it just keeps piling on, I'm trying to stay positive but it's tough sometimes.

Good luck in your recovery but know that it's not a death sentence. I had surgery for one disc on L5-S1 6+ years ago and life is pretty great now and I'm able to stay active. Surgery recovery sucks but it's better than living with pain IMO. Obviously there are risks with any surgery but there are also potential rewards so don't rule it out.