Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I'm about $5000 away from paying off my F150.
I'm gettin' the itch to buy a new truck real bad.

What do you guys think? Do I flip the bitch while It still runs or do I just drive it until the springs rip and the tires, you can't put 'em on anymore?

2011 F150 Ecoboost 107000miles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

NitroSpazzz posted:

Tremek so sorry to see the fire, glad the family and pets made it out safe. That's one of my biggest fears, fire breaking out when we're not home and the dogs can't get out.

It's making me concerned there's nothing but plywood between the basement/garage and the living space. I do have three smoke alarms in the garage and one in the stairs going up but I need to replace all the alarms in the house itself.

Y'all need Roxul safe n sound in your life.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

NitroSpazzz posted:

Thanks for the time, may be stocking up on that.

Roxul is great stuff. I use it to make acoustic absorption panels.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

STR posted:

This applies to computer janitoring too.

If it's my stepdad, I include the driving time (3.5 hours each way), because it's always something I explicitly told him not to touch. Like the patch panel he decided to monkey with the other day (thank gently caress mom knows how to do video calling on her phone... and that I had everything clearly labeled).

Ugh family tech support. Thank God for TeamViewer and SSDs.

I made the in-laws buy a brother LaserJet mfp around Christmas and haven't heard a word about it yet. So thank God for that too.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Tremek posted:

Retail therapy:

What a weird week.

aww yiss

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
I built a thing.

It's a little baby desktop amp built from an IcePower 50ASX2SE amp and an APC serial/network card case.
It sounds great. I'm shipping it to my buddy in Colorado along with a pair of speakers as a belated birthday present.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

cakesmith handyman posted:

Printer chat: I'll float the idea of separate mono laser (the brother DCP1610W looks like a good one and it's sub £100) and colour photo printers, any recommendations for 4x6 photo printers?

Phone chat: MotoG series all the way

Boat chat: I follow Acorn to Arabella and Tally Ho on YouTube, that's as involved as I want to get with proper boats, I'd love to build a canoe though, sounds like a manageable investment.

Wait for prime day and see if you can snag a good deal on a cheap Brother MFP.
The in-laws paid like $86 for theirs.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

cakesmith handyman posted:

Is that a colour laser mfp (no good for photos) or a colour inkjet mfp (trying to move away from inkjet)?

It was a monochrome laser

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
I don't know if any of you all have seen "The Domestics" on Amazon Prime.

It features a real nice AMC Eagle if you're into that sort of thing. They even make it a plot point in the movie

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

STR posted:

*grumble*
So my apartment complex has been repainting - changing the entire color scheme. That's fine, I like the new scheme more than the old one.

What I don't like is doors getting painted shut. I clicked the remote to get into my garage last night and the door jumped, then slammed back down. Huh? Click the remote again, same thing. Clicked again while lifting it by hand from the bottom, it made a loud POP and went up fine. It was too dark for me to see that they'd painted, and there's no other way into the garage. The way it jumped, I figured maybe the spring let go and I could probably help it up (it's the thinnest aluminum door in the world). I couldn't wait around for emergency maintenance to show up, and the way it was acting was classic broken spring.... not "superglued shut by paint".

Walking around today, it looks like at least 3/4 of the garage doors on the property are caved in at the top now, so at least I'm not alone.

The funny thing is... I got drawn to that on the current iteration of the UPS package cars. I recognized them immediately, thanks to my mother's brief ownership of an Oldsmobile Intrigue. It's amazing that you never see them yellowed at all on the trucks, but they do go straight into a garage when the route is done.

I try to play that game on RVs too. Seems like a shitload used 92-96 Ford F-series headlights, despite them being pretty garbage.

And yeah always support your local restaurants, if they're good. There's a really good pizza place here that's owned by a salty middle eastern (I'd guess Lebanese?) lady, and it's just her running the place. Discovered her place when doing deliveries for various platforms. Her main thing is wraps and gyros, but when she rented the place, it came with a double pizza oven (one broken, one working, and having worked with the same model at various places, I'm pretty sure I could get the broken one going if she wanted it to work), so she makes use of it.

is it really that loving hard to tape down some plastic so the doors don't glue themselves shut?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

The Door Frame posted:

I hate how well driving and smoking go together. I turn into a fiend on road trips

VAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPE.

For a while there I wasn't sure if I loved smoking or driving more, but I did know that I had a real hard time driving without smoking.
Now I just vape and I don't even care if I do that.
Life is boring and nothing excites me anymore.

STR posted:

Nah, the arm is firmly attached, and the door works fine now that it's unstuck. They used nuts and bolts instead of the typical sheet metal screws. Probably left the door openers at the default force settings when installed tho (I'd count on that being set up out of the box for an average weight 2 car door, not a paper thin apartment special).

When you're knocking out 15 buildings over a couple of months (half of which have attached garages), plus 10 stand-alone garage buildings, and you're already way over schedule.... yes.

Fine. loving cardboard boxes then.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Preoptopus posted:

So I have never been to a motorsport race in my life and this Sunday im going to the finals of NHRA nationals south of Denver. Im stoked as gently caress.
Are the lovely foam ear plugs enough or should I actually get full on ear muffs. (my shits already hosed up from working in a shop, shooting guns and going to stupid loud concerts)

Also anyone else going? Ill be drunk in section E.

I like wearing well fitting, isolating earbuds with my shooting range over ear protection on top.
Drag racing is loud as gently caress.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Y'all haven't lived until you've had my oatmeal crazin cookies.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

bolind posted:

Don't forget you need a cable and a PCIe card for the server as well. Can't remember the specs, I'm not that much of a data center jockey.

I think you mean HBA SAS card.

unless the DL380 has a raid card that has a slot for an external shelf already

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Humphreys posted:

This one does have a P400, as for routing I'm not sure. The deal was pretty good though with a total of 3 PSUs and the sliding rack kit (which I have no way of using). I'm kinda thinking of parting it out and upgrading to a newer HJP Microserver or just ghetto build a server from an old gaming PC. I REALLY don't like the noise this DL380 makes.

Aww too bad. Maybe its for the best though because the p400 is a garbage controller anyway. Its slow and only supports drives up to 2TB and can't even handle the 6gb/s that those sas drives are capable of. You're honestly better off building a NAS out of a desktop with some SATA drives and a decent consumer card.
At least the 410 supports drives larger than 2TB, which the p400 does not. Unfortunately I don't think the p410 is suppported in the g5 since it's first gen pci-e, and the p410 is second gen.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Tremek posted:

I continue to be impressed at how good the latest versions of FreeNAS have been if you’re willing to roll up your nerd sleeves and do a bit of config.

Granted it’s going to need to be replaced after the fire but I took a dual Xeon (ex-Amazon decommissioned DC) barebones with 64GB ECC RAM and threw 6x6TB HGST drives in it (which are laughably underutilized) and then stacked half a dozen VM/jails on top of it (Plex, IP cam NVR etc) and it’s still underutilized. FreeNAS is cool.

FreeNAS is indeed fantastic although I've only ever used it as a NAS and not a proper SAN.
There's a thread for that btw:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2801557

also enterprise:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2943669

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jul 24, 2019

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Rhyno posted:

SOME DUDE TOLD ME IM A CHAD

I think you misspelled chode. :imunfunny:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Tremek posted:

Point of order: can someone explain chad vs chud

Also, in the I don't know what it means and I'm too afraid to ask category: thot?

That ho over there. It's a polite way to say "that oval office" or "that slut."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
https://i.imgur.com/xbJhkAu.mp4