Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Tremek posted:

TLDR, total forking shirtshow. We’re not harmed (aside from one of our dogs who I’m taking to the vet in a few hours, might have sprained his leg hopping through the fence I pulled down but I think he will be ok.) Just displaced. My kids are all weirded out but we’re at my in-laws (again ... we were here for 6 weeks at the end of 2017 when we began this stupid adventure of starting to remodel this dumb house, so it’s a bit of deja vu.)

Going to try to select a remediation contractor today and get the process underway. Nobody knows how it started, and I think that bothers me more than anything. Makes me feel uncontrollably unsafe.

Holy poo poo, I jumped ship as soon as the July thread came up and I guess I missed this, that's awful, I'm sorry, but I'm glad everyone was safe. How bad was the damage to the interior of the house? Have they brought in inspectors yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
We need a :sever: style emote, but that says "Lawyer Up"

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

People are offering to pay me to fix their cars, how much do I charge them? I feel weird taking money from family for what I'd consider a favor, but the money offer is really appreciated

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I feel like I'm missing something here...

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

As long as you aren't secretly moving heroin or something, I can safely say that you qualify as Good PeopleTM
Let the emotions out man

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Everyone still have their fingers? :911:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I feel like that's taking it a bit close to the blue front light laws with the off blue color of the LED's

I know that I'm supposed to be impressed when I see the Mercedes logo lit up like that, but all I can think of is the Volkswagen Fox and I giggle

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

STR posted:

Got borrowed from my regular dept (again) overnight.

Cat litter is a pain in the rear end when you're just buying 1 or 2 containers. Stocking about 100 of them.... then having to run the excess to the top shelf on movable stairs (and check up there for anything to fill in gaps)... then dealing with 50+ pound bags of dog food (more of the same). I'm already starting to feel it.

I'm down 10 pounds already, though.

ONE OF US

US GM certainly did that in the 80s, FWIW.

I wish I was losing weight from moving the 50lb boxes of nails, but instead it's just keeping me from getting fatter. How do you guys handle 16 hour days 3-4 days a week? I have like 4-5 meals on those days

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Printers are demonic entities that smell deadlines approaching and fail as soon as you actually need to use them
Don't even get me started on fax machines

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

meatpimp posted:

Dealerchat: Could they all do anything but live up to the lovely stereotypes? Christ, I've talked with almost a dozen dealers over the last week looking at Lexus NX200Ts and Kia Sportage SXs and they are all the loving same. I expect the puff, but something has changed with the dealers in the last 10 years that they don't move on the asking price... which is fine, that's their prerogative. But man, I had a deal last night on a Sportage about an hour from me, I was talking to the sales manager and we made a deal at the end of the day. I said that I didn't want to keep him and he said he'd give me a call first thing in the morning to get it settled. He said the dealership opens at 9:00, but he gets in around 8:30.

So I waited from just before 8:30 until just after 9:15. No call. I went out for a bit and came back to find he called at 9:25 and left a message with no apology whatsoever for completely blowing me off for almost an hour past when he said he would call.

If you don't have enough respect for my time and your word with a simple phone call, no way I'm making a deal with you, keeping basic promises is just common courtesy.

Eh, an hour into the work day feels to me like the edge of "first thing in the morning" territory, especially when paperwork is involved. But then again, how may clients could come in and distract him before the dealership opens/as soon as it opens?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

My Civic and xA lured me into a false sense of security. Every single transverse engine I've worked on since has been an exercise in frustration while trying to worm my hands into the tiniest of crevices. I almost feel like I should get an engine crane just so I can actually do the next timing belt change with scraping off the skin on my wrists and forearms

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Powershift posted:

If step 1 on changing spark plugs is undoing motor mounts, you bought the wrong car.

"Remove intake manifold" is a close second

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

STR posted:

May I introduce you to the Toyota 1MZ-FE?

Isn't that the uncharacteristically boring DOHC V6 that was in the Solara with the lazy slushbox

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Applebees Appetizer posted:

It's a Versa but yeah it's amazing. The guy at the tow yard said he is constantly amazed by the amount of people walking in to see their destroyed cars so the manufacturers must be doing something right.

Huh, I guess that Subaru commercial where the guy visits the wreckers to get his shift knob while talking about how the car saved his life wasn't far off base

Glad that you're mostly ok. xA/B/D's aren't exactly peppy head turners, but it's good to know that the annoyingly obvious airbags and thick pillars aren't just for show

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

The bronco is the obvious choice, but drat do I want the Tracker

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Lung diseases are awful. First they start slowing down, then they start feeling tired all of the time, and usually by the time that a problem is actually noticed, they're on oxygen and it's almost painful to see their frailty...
I'm sorry

Beach Bum posted:

That's why manuals are best. Flat foot it, control acceleration rate with powerband/ gear selection.

Finally got a full set of new tires on the CR-V, including the spare which had a date code from 2006 :allbuttons:

So I should I replace my spare? It's never been exposed to the elements, but it is from 1993

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I was being a little sarcastic, I ditched that thing as soon as I got the car. Even though the treads were immaculate, I would rather put it in first and slowly release the clutch to creep off of the road than get 2 flat tires in a row

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I wish I had the excuse of weed, I think I might just be dumb and lazy

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Gonna have my first Turo experience this weekend, thank God for manual transmission rentals and people who don't understand how much it costs to keep a car running

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I hate how well driving and smoking go together. I turn into a fiend on road trips

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

You know, if that car came out in 1983, that interior would be so loving cool. Since it's almost 40 years out of date, all I can think about is how much better the Pontiac Solstice interior looks

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I can already hear the whining from Corvette Guys in my mind. It's glorious.

Question for Chicago-area goons: any of you guys want this bigass Bud Light sign?

I love tacky booze memorabilia, if that is as old as it looks, I'm down

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Man this thread moves fast sometimes! Camping is fun, but driving 1000 miles in 4 days is less fun. Even less fun, my minor surgery wound got super infected and needed to be lanced. I didn't end up on antibiotics, but I have to clean and cover the wound twice a day and will need antibiotics if it swells up like that again. Looking forward to a cool scar on my face

All A's again this semester, even if welding aluminum sucks donkey balls and I burned up so much tungsten and plate trying to do basic welds

STR posted:

The rose colored glasses are off (also, I'm bitchy and tired).

I have 2 department managers, plus multiple overnight leads. Apparently manager A (the actual head department manager) never communicated to manager B (B hired me, and gave the very strong impression that (a) he's the head dept manager and (b) I'd only be in frozen a day, maybe 2 days a week when he told me I'd be helping them out - both lies) that I'm having issues with my hands with the cold. Or they did communicate and B forgot (plausible, since he's admitted to me he's ingested about as many chemicals as I did in his 20s, but I had to explain to him what neuropathy is). At this point I'm just waiting for the 90 day probationary period to be up so I can request a transfer to another department that runs overnights, because frozen, at least, is a shitshow.

But this coming schedule is interesting. 2 days in frozen, 1 in grocery, one in drug/general merchandise. The D/GM one was a real wildcard that caught me off guard. Well, it turns out one guy in frozen got promoted to frozen lead (I found out yesterday), and he knows I hate frozen, so he asked grocery bosses to try to give me more hours in grocery (thank you, Q). It also turns out D/GM has someone who just took a 6 month leave of absence; the overnight lead in GM also writes their schedule (I had no idea he was a lead, I just knew he was the only other LGBT male on overnights, so we wind up BSing a lot on breaks - he also helps grocery a lot when we're behind). We talked a little this morning, and he told me he knew how unhappy I was with frozen, and he thought I'd be a big help while their full timer was on their LOA on days that he can get me away from frozen. From what he told me, it's a lot more laid back over there, they just can't hit OT (except for managers). I work 4 days a week, so OT isn't usually an issue for me (but I usually wind up with 10 hour days - I've hit OT a few times, but never by more than an hour).

the downer: dept manager B told me my schedule "will be changing", and that he couldn't tell me why. that's... annoying, I'm going to be really pissed if I lose my night in D/GM. Also, I had to set my schedule for my other job at 10am yesterday, so if he changes it up significantly that means forfeiting my work for the week with other job. But I also know B doesn't seem to know how to re-publish the schedule (so he can print a paper copy of his revisions, but they never go live on the employee portal); I've brought this up with an overnight lead before, and he told me if I'm ever unsure, go by the schedule shown by the portal or employee app, and make sure to take a screenshot.

As Q (former coworker, now semi-boss starting Monday) keeps saying... "I feel like I had this nightmare yesterday!".

Retail is the best, isn't it? The confusing, overlapping levels of management and disregard for employees just feel amazing

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

T-Square posted:

Thanks all. Gonna make me cry at my desk again this morning.

She is far more intelligent than I, and has a pretty good handle on how things work in general medical-wise. If she thinks she's getting hosed by someone she won't hesitate to reach out to someone else.

That being said, her best friend since elementary school comes from a ritzy doctor family, and her father has gotten my girlfriend and her doctor in touch with who he believes is the best oncologist in the area. So fingers crossed he can help us. I'm just very angry at the fact that this could have been caught weeks ago, which probably would have been a huge swing in favor of her outcome.

We just moved in together two weekends ago and finished moving the rest of her stuff in yesterday. This sucks.

E: This is another thing that is greatly bothering me:

Her and her doctor and radiologist assumed going in that it was some sort of gall bladder issue, and did an ultrasound. Radio silence. A few days passed before they called and said there were multiple masses on her liver that weren't cysts, we need to schedule an MRI. Radio silence. We couldn't get in anywhere for a week, and the MRI was last Wednesday. Radio silence. They waited until the very last minute on Friday (like almost 6:00PM) to call with her diagnosis. At least now her doctor seems to be realizing the severity of the situation and has already reached out to all of the necessary people first thing this morning to get everything that needs to be done, done as quickly as possible.

At least you'll be closer to her for emotional support... That's loving rough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

IOwnCalculus posted:

Costco, though I don't know if I've ever seen a Miata-sized AGM battery on the racks there. The only way the Costco warranty experience could be better would be if they drove the battery to you to replace it.

If the NA shares as much with the Capri as I think, I can say with a great deal of certainty that Costco neither carries tires or batteries for that generation of Miatas