Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
It's my Birthday this month. What do you have to say to me?
This poll is closed.
Happy Birthday! 10 7.63%
Happy Birthday...and many more! 17 12.98%
Oh shut up...just kidding man. Happy Birthday! 7 5.34%
My birthday is this month too, but clearly it is your month 15 11.45%
Happy Bowsette...I mean Birthday (sorry Freudian slip there) 82 62.60%
Total: 131 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Fan fiction is good. IP is a lie. Canon in narrative fiction is overrated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Jay Rust posted:

You’re a cop

If I was a cop I would have just stood on his neck until he stopped breathing, then I would have shot you then arrested your corpse for Felony Irritating A Cop.

How dare you.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

LawfulWaffle posted:

If I was a cop I would have just stood on his neck until he stopped breathing, then I would have shot you then arrested your corpse for Felony Irritating A Cop.

How dare you.

Stomp on my neck harder, daddy.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

I remember reading CYOA books with RPG stat tables back in the mid-90s, I don't think it's a particularly new invention.

Rarity posted:

Lone Wolf came out in the 80s even :shrug:

Nah, those are game books. LitRPG would be like...

I can't name any off the top of my head other than that one book ulililia wrote.

Basically, imagine a story that isn't a CYOA and is about the main character proceeding along and leveling up so that they can equip better stuff and survive against harder monsters and have more hp, stuff like that. Otherwise a generic fantasy world, except they add in that the main character has leveled up and increased their stats. In that way they can just change the character to say they are better without necessarily worrying about how to make the character stronger in some sense because it is just a matter of writing that the character's numbers are better than their enemy's numbers.

e:

cheetah7071 posted:

my post was half sincere (as in I honestly do not care for non-genre fiction) and half shitpost (I wanted to one-up the "read a real book" crowd with non-fiction)

To me, learning about stuff is where the real fun is in reading. In fantasy, the stuff you're learning isn't "real" but it's still learning about the constructed world. And of course, non-fiction scratches that itch even better, so that's what I read.

That's why I asked if you have ever heard of Tim's books. He mostly writes secret history books which are just fiction where he looks at historical events and writes a story in the cracks in between records to make something neat.

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jul 31, 2019

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

the Bayonetta movie isn't very good

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

100 degrees Calcium posted:

:hai:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

100 degrees Calcium posted:

Two of these statements are true

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i think fanfiction and the most prominent self-pubbed fiction (be it erotica or litrpg) have one thing in common in that the act of writing itself is largely secondary to the work's production

most people write fanfic as a way to interact with the fandoms they're in, and most people write the self-pubbed stuff to confuse a computer into shoving their work into people's eyes in hopes of making thousands of dollars

i sort of prefer the former motivation

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP0700-CUSA08790_00-GUNDAMVSPKG00001?smcid=ps%3Ashop-now%3Aps-psn%3Aplaystation-store

Gundam Versus is $15 on PS4 right now, for those of us who love our giant robot dudes.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

RBA Starblade posted:

Two of these statements are true

IP is real, and strong, and my friend

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

I haven't played doom 1 since we stopped using dos, but holy poo poo is the game still thrilling, even on the switch. Trying to find all the secrets and understanding how to use weapons efficiently now have turned the game into a whole new experience. Just paused and realized I'd been holding my breath while playing.

May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Doom holds up.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
I'm working on a recruitment post for Tale in the Desert 9, the ultimate crafting MMO. Hit me up in PMs if anyone's interested in chatting about it. This thread moves way too fast for me to keep up with. The game reboots on August 30.

https://www.desert-nomad.com/

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Pixelante posted:

I'm working on a recruitment post for Tale in the Desert 9, the ultimate crafting MMO.

loving finally.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

How is this game? Is it worth checking out if I'm not interested in really figuring out the game to play online? Also bummed to read it doesn't have split screen multi for co-op.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Jolo posted:

How is this game? Is it worth checking out if I'm not interested in really figuring out the game to play online? Also bummed to read it doesn't have split screen multi for co-op.

There's zero point buying it if you're not going to go online to get utterly destroyed by the only people still playing it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jolo posted:

I’ll be getting back to you tonight about this hopefully. Been wanting to play it but felt like $60 was too much.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Sakurazuka posted:

There's zero point buying it if you're not going to go online to get utterly destroyed by the only people still playing it.

BOO. That's what it looked like from the reviews I skimmed. gently caress, I love those mobile suits. If it had split co-op I'd probably buy it just to smash poo poo up with my buddy who also dove headfirst into building the kits. It's a harder sell to convince him to also drop $15 on the game.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Playing the FIFA 19 story mode has me hyped up for the new FIFA, and the 3v3 street ball mode seems like it will be great for arcadey style play like Rocket League
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9E4HMgh7ZsE

plz dont pull out posted:

I've also been wanting to play more sports games but unfortunately the more sim heavy ones intimidate me. Tried to play NBA 2k16 a while ago but the tutorial for it was terrible, especially if you don't really understand the strategy behind the game. I played Super Mega Baseball 2 and loved it. It'd be great if there were an equivalent for football, hockey, basketball etc. Too bad arcade sports games fell off a cliff over the past 15 years or so.

See above! FIFA has actually been pretty good about tutorializing through its minigame drills. I went in not knowing anything about actually playing soccer and by the end of the story mode I had some idea of when you do a through ball, how players time runs to attack the goal, and why they pass up the side to cross into the box, why you don't just slide tackle the ball carrier every time, and so on. From what I remember NBA 2K is much more opaque about imparting tactical knowledge and you do have to go to outside sources to learn even basic things like how/why to do pick and rolls, box outs, etc.

Also the secret is that these sims can be played like arcade mode -- you just need to set the difficulty lower and mess with the options.

Ceyton posted:

Depends how good it is. Dante's Divine Comedy is literally a self-insert Bible fanfic and it's considered literary canon.

Not just fanfic but putting your enemies in the worst tortures of hell and hanging out with your friends in Paradise

Dante Alighieri (1265-1321)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Jolo posted:

BOO. That's what it looked like from the reviews I skimmed. gently caress, I love those mobile suits. If it had split co-op I'd probably buy it just to smash poo poo up with my buddy who also dove headfirst into building the kits. It's a harder sell to convince him to also drop $15 on the game.

The Gundam Breaker games are better for this but you'd have to import an Asian-English copy of 3 because New Gundam Breaker sucks rear end.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

FirstAidKite posted:

That's why I asked if you have ever heard of Tim's books. He mostly writes secret history books which are just fiction where he looks at historical events and writes a story in the cracks in between records to make something neat.

I have a long list of planned books ahead of me already but if I feel like I need a change of pace I'll give this a look, thanks

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Somebody take these please

Crusader Kings II: 4KJT2-49BVR-6P3PI
Sword of Islam: 6IX5P-LNLXM-XYXDE
Legacy of Rome: 6CKRA-VR3K8-8QRX9

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Playing the FIFA 19 story mode has me hyped up for the new FIFA, and the 3v3 street ball mode seems like it will be great for arcadey style play like Rocket League
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9E4HMgh7ZsE

See above! FIFA has actually been pretty good about tutorializing through its minigame drills. I went in not knowing anything about actually playing soccer and by the end of the story mode I had some idea of when you do a through ball, how players time runs to attack the goal, and why they pass up the side to cross into the box, why you don't just slide tackle the ball carrier every time, and so on. From what I remember NBA 2K is much more opaque about imparting tactical knowledge and you do have to go to outside sources to learn even basic things like how/why to do pick and rolls, box outs, etc.

Also the secret is that these sims can be played like arcade mode -- you just need to set the difficulty lower and mess with the options.

Not just fanfic but putting your enemies in the worst tortures of hell and hanging out with your friends in Paradise

Dante Alighieri (1265-1321)

Is there a good source of info for the new FIFA yet? I am doing the same since it was just on sale on PSN for like 15 bucks, but the Kim Hunter storyline just makes me desperately wish that the NWSL was included and not just the Women's National Teams. Especially since we're going from a World Cup year to a non-World Cup year.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Non-canon biblical texts are interesting too

Like that one that got adapted into a video game. I think it was the book of enoch? That got adapted into El Shaddai? I think? Question mark?

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Rarity posted:

Somebody take these please
Sword of Islam

quote:

The Sword of Islam was a ceremonial melee weapon given in 1937 to Benito Mussolini, who was pronounced as the Protector of Islam.

Neat! I wonder why this famous sword doesn't get referenced more often. Every raves about the Sword of Damocles but no one wants to talk about the Sword of Islam.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

People didn't like it as much as Adventures of Islam or Islam Adventure

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

FirstAidKite posted:

Non-canon biblical texts are interesting too

Like that one that got adapted into a video game. I think it was the book of enoch? That got adapted into El Shaddai? I think? Question mark?

That is correct.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
イスラム教剣伝説 3

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

if you say so

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
There's nothing like unwittingly breaking a superhard boss encounter in an RPG because you came into the fight with elemental absorb abilities on :getin:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

tired: McDonald's alignment chart
wired:
https://twitter.com/IanWhyNot/status/1156385852789907456

DrNutt posted:

Is there a good source of info for the new FIFA yet? I am doing the same since it was just on sale on PSN for like 15 bucks, but the Kim Hunter storyline just makes me desperately wish that the NWSL was included and not just the Women's National Teams. Especially since we're going from a World Cup year to a non-World Cup year.

The sports games seem to not really do preview season like other games since it's very incremental stuff and they rely on their core audience I think. This article has a bunch of stuff though
https://www.dreamteamfc.com/c/gaming/432749/fifa-20-cover-star-release-date-demo/

May 8, 2006

we're unmoored and our chat thread is touching other, lesser threads

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

they got dimitri and edelgard backwards

cop is a subset of murder anyways so the chart concept could use some work

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

they got dimitri and edelgard backwards

cop is a subset of murder anyways so the chart concept could use some work

That's very insulting towards Edelgard

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Andrast posted:

That's very insulting towards Edelgard

it might depend which route you're on she's definitely a cop on the lions route

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Generally FIFA will release a demo 2-4 weeks before release. It will feel like a huge upgrade, and then the game will come out and feel like rear end. Everyone will say wait for the first patch that comes out a month or so after release.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

it might depend which route you're on she's definitely a cop on the lions route

Probably

She is definitely fully on board the murder train in beagles

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I had to join the breakfast club black eagles the moment I went through their roster then saw that Dorothea listed herself among her dislikes. I will never let you go Dorothea. No for real your healing ability is insane.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

how do people call him Edelgard and not the easier to say Edgelard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Relax Or DIE posted:

we're unmoored and our chat thread is touching other, lesser threads

Can't believe VG would let this happened, shoddy mod performance imo