Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
It's my Birthday this month. What do you have to say to me?
This poll is closed.
Happy Birthday! 10 7.63%
Happy Birthday...and many more! 17 12.98%
Oh shut up...just kidding man. Happy Birthday! 7 5.34%
My birthday is this month too, but clearly it is your month 15 11.45%
Happy Bowsette...I mean Birthday (sorry Freudian slip there) 82 62.60%
Total: 131 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

cheetah7071 posted:

fates was literally four years ago and not even the most recent FE before 3H I don't know why you'd think it was some kind of inescapable black hole for the series

"Fire Emblem goes to school" was not a plotline that instilled me with much confidence. Also people in general were making GBS threads on the game during its first few reveals. Wasn't expecting much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

cheetah7071 posted:

To me, learning about stuff is where the real fun is in reading.

Read neal Stephenson's baroque cycle, and then cryptonomicon

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
yall book snobs should read some piers anthony and then never criticize what anyone else is reading again because at least it ain't piers anthony

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Make the August thread the video game book club.

Hm although then it would just be about video game books, perhaps a mistake.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I would read books about videogames

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Reminiscing about Command and Conquer Generals, which let you know that the terrorists were the bad guys for using chemical weapons, the Chinese were morally gray for using nukes and firebombing, and America was the good guy for using... very large conventional bombs and drones

Generals was interesting in that IIRC in the end it was the Chinese who actually won the war in Europe while the US got its poo poo kicked in by the GLA and was subsequently forced to retreat back to isolationism. In the F2P sequel which never came to be they'd still be out of the picture and third faction would've been the EU instead.

Not an outcome you see very often in western-developed games.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

August Chat Thread - Oops! All Madden!

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grapplejack posted:

Oops? All Brigador Custom Levels?!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Lost Odyssey Update ...#15? #16?

With the gang back together we headed out to do the lands of the Eastern Tribe to get a magical McGuffin to make our ship stronger which was all just an excuse for a throwaway dungeon. When we got to the end there was this magic stone and everyone was all 'don't touch the magic stone' but Jansen was like 'I'mma touch the magic stone' so we woke up the Eastern Tribe's alarm system but it was all ok cause we kicked its rear end. Back on the ship Sed explained that the McGuffin stone was super powerful and would make us all explode if dropped and then he threw it Tolten who just flinches cause of course he does cause he's an absolute wankpheasant. It all worked out all right and we souped up our ship to go back to Numara but now that Ming's got her memories back it woke up the Godzilla that Gongora set on them back in the day! Luckily he went down like a chump and then a bunch more Godzillas went down like a chump and saved the city which meant when we returned everyone thought Ming was a hero and had had enough of General Asshat so now we're going back to give him a proper asskicking. Oh yeah and during all this we took a trip back to Kaim's old crib where all Sarah's emo had saved itself up and become a bonus boss but we whupped that rear end as well. No more Panic at the Disco for you, Sarah!

I have a feeling I'm close to the end of the game, which means I'll probably go quiet for the next 2 weeks while I clear out all the side quests :v:

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Taintrunner posted:

I would read books about videogames

I would play a video game about books

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Gluten Freeman posted:

I would play a video game about books

Good news!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Grapplejack posted:

I have been getting into a bunch of different sports games but I still think I can't get into Madden.

Mainly because the rules of American football are so needlessly complicated. A whole different team for offense and defense?!

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

american football rules but the only ethical way to enjoy it is through video games or Eyeshield 21

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Is there a book tangent happening?

Last night I broke into the final 100 pages of Neal Stephenson's Diamond Age. This book is very excellent and I read into the night much later than I should have. I'm sleepy at work now. I haven't felt compelled to keep reading like that since I first read Dune back in 2006.

What're some books that have kept you up well passed your bedtime?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

oddium posted:

american football rules but the only ethical way to enjoy it is through video games or Eyeshield 21

Blitz, Mutant League Football, and Final Fantasy 1 are all valid ways to enjoy gridiron

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The only novels I read are visual novels :smug:

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Wildtortilla posted:

Last night I broke into the final 100 pages of Neal Stephenson's Diamond Age. This book is very excellent and I read into the night much later than I should have. I'm sleepy at work now. I haven't felt compelled to keep reading like that since I first read Dune back in 2006.

I quite liked Diamond Age, but his books always seem to finish out of nowhere. Snow crash was his best imo. the other ones felt long but thin.

Edit: I did stay up late reading Carter Beats The Devil, that's a great one, I think. Alternative history fiction about magic in the 1920s. Not real magic but the stuff in vaudeville. I always find the scale of the popularity of 20's acts incredible. People like Houdini or Jim Londos were incredibly famous.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I have been getting into a bunch of different sports games but I still think I can't get into Madden.

Mainly because the rules of American football are so needlessly complicated. A whole different team for offense and defense?!

I've also been wanting to play more sports games but unfortunately the more sim heavy ones intimidate me. Tried to play NBA 2k16 a while ago but the tutorial for it was terrible, especially if you don't really understand the strategy behind the game. I played Super Mega Baseball 2 and loved it. It'd be great if there were an equivalent for football, hockey, basketball etc. Too bad arcade sports games fell off a cliff over the past 15 years or so.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Von Linus posted:

I quite liked Diamond Age, but his books always seem to finish out of nowhere. Snow crash was his best imo. the other ones felt long but thin.

Edit: I did stay up late reading Carter Beats The Devil, that's a great one, I think. Alternative history fiction about magic in the 1920s. Not real magic but the stuff in vaudeville. I always find the scale of the popularity of 20's acts incredible. People like Houdini or Jim Londos were incredibly famous.

I read Snow Crash two or three times. Its pretty good but all the ancient language stuff goes over my head every time.

I'm not confused by Diamond Age and I'm excited to see if it goes where I think it's going. It seems like all the major characters are finally going to meet!

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I enjoy videogames of most sports but Madden is just straight up impenetrable. Especially playing defence *yawn*

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The last book I read was A Farewell To Arms

It was pretty good but there were only one or two anime titties in it so 3/10

quote:

I enjoy videogames of most sports but Madden is just straight up impenetrable. Especially playing defence *yawn*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hv6RbEOlqRo

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Professional American football players could play up to 12 actual minutes of football per week, 16 weeks a year! It's best to split them up into different teams to not overwork anyone.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

plz dont pull out posted:

I've also been wanting to play more sports games but unfortunately the more sim heavy ones intimidate me. Tried to play NBA 2k16 a while ago but the tutorial for it was terrible, especially if you don't really understand the strategy behind the game. I played Super Mega Baseball 2 and loved it. It'd be great if there were an equivalent for football, hockey, basketball etc. Too bad arcade sports games fell off a cliff over the past 15 years or so.

Yeah, I really want a decent Tennis game, I used to love Virtua Tennis. A friend of mine and I used to play that and each game would decide who made a cup of tea. Mario Tennis has all that extra gubbins on it and the reviews for PS4 games are all shite.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I should have made a joke like A Farewell To Anime but I didn't and for that I apologize to the thread

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

Professional American football players could play up to 12 actual minutes of football per week, 16 weeks a year! It's best to split them up into different teams to not overwork anyone.

I mean, thats about 12 minutes more than a doctor would ever recommend you play so Im not sure you want to advocate more exposure.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

Barudak posted:

I mean, thats about 12 minutes more than a doctor would ever recommend you play so Im not sure you want to advocate more exposure.

Look Roger Goodell told me that there is not now, nor has ever been, such a thing as a 'concussion'.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Wildtortilla posted:

The Quantum Thief and its sequels kept me up, also kept me day dreaming

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Jay Rust posted:

One hour til the new thread... what will axelblaze pick as a title??

I legit panicked for a second.

That also reminds me I have to think of a poll

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

axelblaze posted:

I legit panicked for a second.

That also reminds me I have to think of a poll

Spoiler: I will vote for Bowsette

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
Platinum Bowsettes

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Rarity posted:

Spoiler: I will vote for Bowsette

As long as Bowsette keeps winning, she'll be there.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The purpose of American football is to alternate 15 seconds of action with 30 seconds of drinking beer/eating nachos/talking to your bros/etc

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

haveblue posted:

The purpose of American football is to alternate 15 seconds of action with 30 seconds of drinking beer/eating nachos/talking to your bros/etc

You mean, run commercials

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

haveblue posted:

as bad as it is this ratio still blows baseball out of the water

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
baseball is the sporting equivalent of waiting for a bus

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Baseball like cricket is great because you can chuck it on in the background while you play videogames

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
Luckily there are 191,382 baseball games per year so some interesting stuff happens just by sheer volume, and you can just watch a supercut of interesting stuff on youtube for the season. It's a very 'monkeys on typewriters' kinda thing.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

i bought two books on Monday:
Saltwater
Starling Days

god bless

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I wonder if Nintendo would've made the decision to re-record the dialog of Fire Emblem's sex pest VO if it wasn't the protagonist who has like 10 lines total.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

What would make the best username:

Bowsette's Bath Water
bowsettes bathwater
BOWSETTES BATH WATER