Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Albion
PC
SSLP/Hybrid?

As a text-heavy game with turn-based combat it wouldn't make much sense as a video LP. I know there was one attempted I think a year or two ago, but it died relatively quickly. This was a drat shame since it was off to a pretty good start.

Gunman Chronicles
PC
Video

I'm not sure what it is about Halflife Yellow, but while every other Halflife game has multiple streams, LP's and fans, no one ever even mentions this one, not even as a comedy thing. I mean, it had dinosaurs! It had vehicle sections! It didn't completely suck rear end!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

Xander77 posted:

I would like to see an Ultima 8 SSLP that actually gets completed.

God, yes. I was so sad when Terragoetia's petered out. I was really enjoying that one.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

Anyone got recommendations for LPs that are informative and analytical to the point that they skew closer to documentaries? Somewhere between dscruffy and Noah Caldwell-Gervais.

The gold standard for that, with me, will always be the old Jurassic Park: Trespasser LP by Research Indicates:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDK6Q2v8HPg

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I would greatly appreciate someone LP'ing Wizards and Warriors, because otherwise I know I'll eventually do it and LP'ing that game would probably kill me and possibly also the audience.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I mean, if they were on the archive, it's because the original poster requested they be uploaded, right? Fixing some dead hosting would seem to, if anything, be helping out.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

inscrutable horse posted:

It's not archived anywhere, which is a shame, but there's this one which isn't half-bad IIRC.

It's a quite good LP, I enjoyed following it.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I'd love a Zeliard LP. It's one of those games I ALMOST finished as a kid, but never got through the final parts of.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I would literally pay someone to do a complete LP of:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J.R.R._Tolkien%27s_The_Lord_of_the_Rings,_Vol._I_(1990_video_game)

the abandoned LP by Composerguy(https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3529094) makes me sad every time I think of it, since he was doing such a good drat job.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/user/itsmu

Mu is probably my favourite chill streamer. Dominions and Rimworld mostly, sometimes posts duck videos, nice person, and he's been getting into doing more elaborate video editing lately which contributes to his videos being even more fun.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Are there any decent video LP's of the original Far Cry?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boiling_Point:_Road_to_Hell is a game that I want to see someone LP just to see if I was a moron when I played it when I was younger or if it really is a janky, unpolished and highly confusing experience where you'll spend five hours shooting birds in the jungle for their feathers and looting South American ruins for vendor trash before you can actually buy a decent gun and start interacting with the storyline that you're intended to interact with right away.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Karate Bastard posted:

Is there such a thing as a SC2 let's play that shows of the campaign? Preferably one without insufferable youtube persons in it?

I would in fact be interested in an SC2 LP, ideally by someone who hates the loving writing as much as I do, considering that it got absolutely too bad, combined with some painfully dull gameplay, for me to put up with past the Zerg campaign(and frankly it's a wonder I even gave it that much of my time).

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Solitair posted:

I was very confused because I thought you two were talking about Star Control 2 at first.

If someone posts that they hate Star Control 2, the appropriate reaction would be a two-day probation for them to consider their posting crimes.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Rappaport posted:

"Juffo-Wup fills my fibers, and I grow turgid. Violent probing ensues."?

I'm not sure this is the right thread for Star Control 2 erotic fanfiction.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I'm not sure how much content it would have but...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wizkid:_The_Story_of_Wizball_II

As a kid I was eternally baffled by Wizkid and its mechanics. Having someone actually explain this drug-addled mess would put some of my childhood demons to rest.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

How about the old Dynamix game Hunted Hunted?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Droplet posted:

Anyone have recommendations for a (preferably screenshot) LP that totally breaks open the game via exploits and/or in-depth mechanical knowledge? I just finished OrangeFluffySheep's FFTA LP on the archive and would love more like it.

Well, I like to think that my recent Betrayal at Krondor LP kind of broke the game from about... the second update. :v: But it's not a very mechanically deep game, so I'm not sure if it would really scratch whatever itch you have.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

https://lparchive.org/Tecmos-Deception/

I remember laughing out loud at this LP back when I first discovered some... almost 15 years ago no? Not sure if it's held up since I have not reread it since then.

EDIT: Giving it a quick reread and it involves a good usage of what a lot of folks these days might consider slurs. So, you know, I guess that's unfortunate.

PurpleXVI fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jun 25, 2022

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Heimdall or Cadaver. I tried both games as a kid, but between being ESL and pretty young at the time, I could never figure them out. I'd be curious to see if I was missing out or what.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

The line uttered at this point in the show is "Jesse, what the gently caress are you talking about?"

The meme is editing in Jesse ranting out some extremely inside baseball poo poo completely opaque to anyone not rear end-deep in a particular hobby or fandom, and then Walter going: "Jesse, what the gently caress are you talking about?" like in the original.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I like blind playthroughs sometimes, but it really takes the right person for it. There's "it's fun to watch this person get surprised by this cool-rear end event for the first time" and then there's "oh boy, time to watch two hours of this guy failing to spot a button right in front of him or searching the same corridor for the eleventh time."

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Badger of Basra posted:

since it's spooky season can anyone recommend some good horror LPs that aren't your standard resident evils, silent hills, etc

https://lparchive.org/Martian-Gothic-Unification/

The bugs and bad design choices are almost as scary as the setting and enemies.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I was planning to do a DOS2 LP at some point, but I've yet to figure out the trick to make the game recordable with OBS.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Screen capture, most likely

Also thirding a DOS 1&2 lp

I could give it another try, but as I recall it EVERYTHING I tried only picked up audio, video was at best a still screen of the first frame that popped up and then nothing following.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I love jank.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

By popular demand posted:

I'm still hoping for someone better than me to do a Wasteland 3 SSLP because I don't trust myself to actually put in the effort.

Oh man that's tempting to do at some point, though it's almost a shame that they've patched the worst bugs, since that deprives people of really getting the pure, unvarnished launch-day experience where certain traits could soft-lock the game regularly just by having picked them.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

What’s the longest SA screenshot/text LP out there? Battletech?

Longest-running is definitely Libluini's Master of Orion 3 LP, as for simply "longest," I think that at almost 150 updates, not counting lore updates, it's also a serious contender for that.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Okua posted:

readable/watchable LP of Cruelty Squad?

Have you seen Cruelty Squad? I enjoyed the game but it was barely watchable even when playing it myself.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

You know what I just realized I want to see?

LP's of Battlespire and Redguard.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I had the cardboard box version of Battlespire back in the day, before cleaning out my closets since I realized I was never actually gonna play any of those games and they were taking up a ton of space(I still kind of regret it sometimes, but I'm like that about throwing anything out), but I'd like someone else to LP it because once I finish up Gothic 3 I'm kind of out of bad ideas for LP's and if someone else snags Battlespire before I do, it would prevent me from making that mistake.

For Redguard, I played a cracked version back in the day because my dad knew someone who literally sold these huge custom-made sheets full of CD's of cracked games(usually with stuff like voice acting and cutscenes stripped out to save space), and I'm kind of curious whether there was actually a good game past the hosed up version my kid brain couldn't figure out.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Sally posted:

Our cup currently runneth over for good RTS LPs at the moment. two ongoing right now. both SSLP. both are covering the campaigns but being supplemented with detailed history of units and development, as well as breakdowns of use in multiplayer and overall strategies.

Age of Empires II Definitive Edition and EVERY expansion (pending Return of Rome planned as well) by Jossar: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4027996&pagenumber=10&perpage=40

Starcraft Remastered by JohnKilltrane: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3965681&pagenumber=34&perpage=40

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4001484 Don't forget Cythereal's massive Warcraft 1, 2, Beyond the Dark Portal and eventually 3 and Frozen Throne LP.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Mega64 posted:

I'm going to request games I kinda want to LP so I don't actually have to LP them.

Crystal Project - A combination of a voxel open-world platformer meets FF5-style JRPG with job system. Really solid battle system with almost-perfect information with a variety of FF-inspired jobs scattered in a rather nonlinear open world.

Oh gently caress, don't tempt me. I've just managed to stop being addicted to Crystal Project randomizer runs.

I know some people bounce off it because of the very limited worldbuilding and plot, but I loved it just for the mechanics which are really the heart of it.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I'm gonna do one for the next game where my start isn't stillborn. I was gonna LP the previous game I got started, but the excitement of failing to take my second province for ten turns due to insanely cursed indie generation, made it clearly somewhat unexciting.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I've always been curious about Threads of Fate. I feel like the PSX was a good era for RPGs

Oh my God, I just watched PMCTrilogy play through the Mint campaign in Threads of Fate. Absolutely some of the best writing in a jRPG ever.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I never noticed this was also the recommendation thread until someone in the Sandcastle pointed it out to me.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4034380

I strongly recommend this Elden Ring LP. The randomized permadeath makes it consistently interesting in ways that various min/maxed elite runs aren't to me, because the LP'er doesn't even pick their own builds, they gotta run with the poo poo that the thread and a random roll brings them.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

For as much as I consider Dwarf Fortress to be deeply overrated and not all that good, it has absolutely produced some of my favourite LP's of all time.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Pyro Jack posted:

It's kinda surprising that there isn't any let's play of the first Icewind Dale yet. Especially notable since there's LPs of other Infinity Engine games including Icewind Dale 2 but not the first, not even an abandoned LP.

I think it might be because the first Icewind Dale is... very... I wanna say shallow? It has very little in the way of story or character interactions. Just go here, mangle that, move on, mangle this, move on. Imagine Baldur's Gate 1 but everything is white and gray and everything you meet is hostile and wants to kill you.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Black Robe posted:

Buggy Eurojank? Someone put out the PurpleXVI signal.

I'm playing a nice game next time! A NICE GAME, OKAY?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Mraagvpeine posted:

I was looking around for horror games to watch when I learned that the creators behind Yuppie Psycho made another game before it, The Count Lucanor.

I really had an awful time getting into Yuppie Psycho, everything about the design just seemed to not want to make any kind of gameplay feel natural, The Count Lucanor worked notably better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Can anyone recommend any channels that specialize in PS1/2 era RPGs, but - and here's the tricky part - don't read out all the text in 'funny' voices'? I've been trying to find playthoughs of Breath of Fire 3&4 and I swear to god, everyone who covers games from that period of time wants to be a voice actor in the worst possible way.

Not exactly what you're asking for, but: https://www.youtube.com/@SeanSeanson Sean Seansson is all PS1 games, all the time, with a decent number of RPG's in there. He's also charming, clever and very, very listenable.