Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
I'm going to take my name off of We Happy Few. It's notorious for being badly optimised and after a couple of days of trying, I'm not able to produce anything of workable quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
CirclMastr has a blind playthrough of The Witcher ongoing at the moment: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3890773

I could take a stab at an informative, and maybe more concise, LP at some point in the future but I have my plate full at the moment. Also, I don't really want to step on CirclMastr's toes as his LP is still very active right now. I've only just finished the fourth book so my knowledge of the lore is only half complete at this moment in time. I'll see where things are at in a few months but I'll definitely give it some serious consideration. If anyone else wants to take up the reigns though, feel free.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Nidoking posted:

Skippy Granola? He deleted his channel this week due to not wanting to deal with copyright trolls and Youtube's useless system.

He tweeted about it a couple of days ago: https://twitter.com/skippygranola/status/1215082009237716993

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Herr Tog posted:

Can anyone recommend an informative LP of control?

Nidoking will likely be starting one soon.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

SimonChris posted:

Now that Blade Runner is out on GOG, I would really like to see a good video LP. The screenshot LP in the archives is great but doesn't quite capture the cinematic feel of the game.

It's on my list but I'm early on into a series of games so it may take a while for me to get to it. If anyone else is up for the challenge then feel free, if not then it will be on the cards at some point this year.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Maple Leaf posted:

I'm thinking of starting an LP of Super Mario RPG Randomized, but I don't think it's going to be big enough to warrant its own thread. I was thinking of posting it in that "small LPs" community thread, but I can't seem to find it (granted, I only looked back four pages). Is it still a thing, or did the thread die?

This is technically a request, so...

Is this the one that you are looking for? https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3750711

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

a_galvantula posted:

Well, uh, since I don't see anything on the master list about that XD: Gale of Darkness romhack that a lot of people think is good, should I just make a thread about it myself? I'm a little nervous and unsure if I should...

We can't be sure about you doing it until we know what you're going to do. Put something together in the SSLP test poster: https://lpix.org/sslptest/ Or in a word program which you can save and edit in your own leisure. If you're still feeling unsure once you've put together an introduction and a first post, create that test post and post the link in the sandcastle for advice. If you're feeling happy about posting it, just post.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

double nine posted:

we've had to put our cat to sleep today, so if I could get a recommendation for an LP that's warm and comforting and maybe a little funny, that would really hit the spot right now.

I'm sorry about your loss. I found Zorak's LP of Endless Ocean 2 pretty chilled out, for the most part, the commentary can get a little loud here and there but there was something pretty relaxing about watching someone explore underwater worlds. It's pretty amusing at times too. It's not in the archives unfortunately but there is a youtube playlist that's still available: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLaVQYuFaXnsweGuuPlfcg0rW-Xy0jJAo0

The original thread is here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3516951

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I'm not a good speaker in any form but so far all of my LP's have been video and most of them I've done commentary on the fly. I'm well aware that I stutter and am prone to mispronunciation when I get nervous. I'm my own biggest critic, I wont go into details of the anxiety of starting a new LP.

If you have the software then you could always do post-commentary, which means you can have more control over what you're saying and when.

I'd like to echo what aniEhilated and Strategic Sage said. My first LP was a game that I was passionate about, I had a lovely mic and the most basic of software and it's still my most watched LP eight years later. Even after investing in new equipment and software over time. I had no idea what I was doing at the time apart from trying to emulate other people's formats.

Do what you feel is within your boundaries. If you're wanting to cut your teeth with co-commentary then I'm sure someone will be interested. If you want to start with subtitles then build up then that's fine. If you're passionate about the game it will show regardless, whatever you decide the effort will be noticed.

Good luck with getting the LP started!

Edit: Has co-commentary requests been moved to one of the pinned threads or is it still in it's own separate thread?

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jul 8, 2020

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Boba Pearl posted:

Anything for Control?

Nidoking's LP is currently ongoing: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3913828

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

columborumble posted:

My friends and I have made a few Let's Plays just for fun. Most recently we started a Let's Play of Dark Forces II: Mysteries Of The Sith that we're on the final episode of.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a Let's Play that they think would work well with our format of doing LP's as a group? Or a particular LP you've been wanting to request that you think would suit our casual style?

I've never watched any of your videos and know nothing of your format. How about Takeshi’s Challenge or Lula 3D?

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

serefin99 posted:

Anyone know of any good Bugsnax LPs? Preferably looking for one where the LPer is more on the chill side, i.e. they don't scream or use obnoxious voices or anything like that.

I'm not sure whether this is exactly what you're looking for, but I really enjoyed Vinesauce Vinny's Bugsnax streams. It's a blind, no-frills, playthrough from start to end. He's usually a pretty chilled out person, sometimes has some interesting stories to tell and when he reads anything out it's in his own voice: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLlc94szfcNDFSWH0nUJ5pug-awzrrqOnZ

Edit: As far as I know, nobody has started one in this forum.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Jamesman posted:

Can everyone please tell me your favorite VLP you've ever watched? Preferably ones still available online to check out for myself. Thank you.

It's hard to name just one,

Geop's run of Dark Souls is up there for me: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1iwwMmsVqKOMes-ZAoWaS0iQKDcGk7Ln

Zorak's LP of Endless Ocean 2 is another: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLaVQYuFaXnsweGuuPlfcg0rW-Xy0jJAo0

helloitsdan & lithuaniandad dad's LP of Mercenaries 2 is also a fun watch: https://lparchive.org/Mercenaries-2/

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This isn't the kind of adventure game that I'm used to LP'ing.

I'm reading the reviews right now:

quote:

-Bullet impact physics are ridiculously strong when shooting the car.
-The car itself can get stuck on a small ridges.
-The car can also drive under the water.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Apr 14, 2021

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Psycho Knight posted:

I'll look into doing this, assuming nobody else is already in the process of getting it running.

It's good to know that there are still gentleman in this day and age.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I would request an LP of Total Distortion but I think it would be cruel to inflict such an ordeal upon another person. It was on my list but there's no way that I'd be able to take it on anytime soon, my test runs have resulted upon abysmal failure and I'm not even sure if anyone has been able to take it on legitimately from start to finish even on easy mode. I believe that if anyone does complete it on the hardest mode they will be crowned the King of Moldova. This is one of those games that requires a masochistic personality and a healthy dose of LSD to endure it.

If anyone does take it on from start to end, I'll happily throw in a forums upgrade or a charity donation. If no one does then I might take it on at some point before I retire, I'd just prefer it if someone else would take it on.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Thank you, kind people.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I enjoy having LP videos playing on a spare monitor when I'm working, usually laid-back colony builder type games (Surviving Mars and Frostpunk, notably). What doesn't help me relax is watching LPers flail around making stupid decisions and being confused because they didn't read what the tooltop just told them, or ignore the flashing notification, or have the attention span of a squirrel on meth and forget what they were about to do and leave a task uncompleted for a whole video.

Anyone have some suggestions for LPers (or just some notable LPs) for these kinds of games who aren't dumb? YouTube for preference, I don't want to bother messing with livestreams.

Strategic Sage posted:

I will have the affrontery to note that in the early days of my channel I did a Frostpunk LP shortly after launch which I think fits this description, although I'll let others assess my intellect or lack thereof :). Due to when it was recorded, it does not have all the more recent changes and bells and whistles, and some of what I did there (particularly as it relates to hunting) would not fly now due to changes that have been patched in since. I think the more recent Dawn of Man and Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom also fit the laid-back city-builder vibe, though they do have somewhat of a more historical focus which may or may not interest you.

I've been slowly catching up with the Dawn Of Man LP by Strategic Sage and I've been enjoying it. He is methodical in his approach, explains the mechanics, what he is doing and why he is doing it. He also has taken the time to talk more in depth about the time period and the way of life back then. I still have a few videos to watch and I'm intending to watch more of the series that he is doing.

Dawn Of Man is in the archives if you want to check it out: https://lparchive.org/Dawn-of-Man/

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Once in a blue moon, I'm reminded about Abomination: The Nemesis Project, but this time I've decided to post about it and I'm not sure whether this is a request, a threat or a general enquiry. I remember playing this a couple of decades ago, enjoying it a lot but becoming burnt out by the time it came mid to the late-game scenarios. From what I remember, this was a response to the X-Com series in the 90s and its selling point was that it was real-time instead of turn-based but without anything that endeared people to X-Com.

I'm tempted to throw this one at someone who hasn't LP'd in a few years.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

namad posted:

It would be really cool if someone let's played Star Trek - Hidden Evil.

There are essentially no let's plays of it because it was released in the early windows era, which means it wouldn't run on dosbox nor would it run on modern windows xp/7/8/10 machines.

GOG has recently started selling it though, so it looks like a solution to get the game to run has been found.

It might be the worst star trek adventure game, I'm not sure. Thing is, all the other star trek adventure games have been let's played before, and those let's plays were all pretty great.

SSLP might make sense, but I'd be happy with lazy unedited live footage dumped to youtube.

I'm not promising anything but I was toying with some of the action adventures while doing a run-through of the Star Trek adventure games. I managed to find a copy of DS9: The Fallen during the run but right now it's collecting dust for the foreseeable future. I'll include Hidden Evi if I do but right now I'm smack bang in the middle of one project and nearing the end of another, but I already have something lined up when that one is over. if I get around to it then it most likely won't be until at some point in 2022, I'll include Hidden Evil if I do. I'll probably do Doctor Who: The Eternity Clock afterwards as I once threatened to do while playing through The Adventure Games.

nine-gear crow posted:

I pity the poor bastards who actually go and drop :10bux: to purchase a copy of Star Trek: Hidden Evil in 2021 period. Purpose behind it be damned.

I'll wait for it to go on sale, I'm already used to feeling ashamed of myself.

Edit: If anyone else wants to do it then please do.

Edit 2: Grammar. I was very tired last night.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Sep 10, 2021

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

namad posted:

So, in 1995 windows games came out. Thing is. Those windows games actually run on dosbox.

I played this as a child https://www.mobygames.com/game/in-the-1st-degree so I wanted to play it as an adult (don't do it, it sucks).
So I just straight up installed windows 3.1 (or was it 3.11) on dosbox. That actually worked and it wasn't that hard.
So, yeah, in terms of gaming specifically windows 3.1 and 3.11 era are actually part of the dos era in terms of getting old games to run.

I don't mean to start an argument with this post, but for anyone out there looking to relive the glory days of the actual early windows era, I recommend trying to use dosbox to just flat out install windows 3.11.

1999-2000 really is the sweet spot for having trouble getting old games to run (at least from my own abandonware experiments before GoG was so popular.)

edit: Yeah, I agree 10$ for a game from 1999, and a game with a reputation for being poor (or at least worse than the 4 or so top tier star trek adventure games)? Seems like a bit of a missed opportunity to price something so weak so highly.

I've used PCem to LP several mid to late 90's games that have required earlier versions of Windows to work properly. I currently have Windows 98 installed but I have installed 3.1 in the past to test a few games.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Sep 25, 2021

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Galick posted:

https://lparchive.org/Outlast/ This is the best horror LP I've ever watched, personally

DumbRodent is pretty chill throughout the whole thing, even with the jump scares.

Edit: It's also a really well done LP.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I'd like to see an SSLP of The Dream Machine. It's a point and click adventure game, all the characters and locations were built by hand out of clay and cardboard. It's quite suited for the Halloween period as it's creepy and gets quite surreal as it deals with voyeurism and dreams.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

tadashi posted:

Has anyone done Beneath a Steel Sky on Something Awful?
I feel like that's got to be here somewhere. If not, requesting SSLP.
I coveted that game for years but didn't have the patience for it when I finally got around to getting a copy.

I completed a video LP of it last year. You can find it on the archive here: https://lparchive.org/Beneath-A-Steel-Sky/

I also completed a video LP of it's sequel shortly afterwards.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

nightelf_37 posted:

That's right. You got what I was getting into.

Interest checks are a bit of a no no, not as much as anime torture porn games but still. The best way to do an interest check is to create a test post of a potential LP using the tools provided in the forum. That way people can get an idea of what you're going to LP and how you're going to do it, it also allows people to provide feedback if you're wanting it.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Out of interest, are there any rebalance mods for TFTD that make it playable by non-strategy gods? I always wanted to like it, but the difficulty and other factors always made it annoying to get into.

This might be what you're looking for: https://openxcom.mod.io/tftd-easier-by-reaver

If you're wanting it even easier you could try this one: https://openxcom.mod.io/cheat-suite

There's also another mod that gives your soldiers maximum stats.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

By popular demand posted:

My machine can't show the game in high graphic detail- Wasteland 3
My skill can't show the game in high strategic detail- XCOM:TFTD:TWOTS

I haven't played TFTD in years so I decided to start a new playthrough with this mod. Thanks for making me aware of it.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

By popular demand posted:

Cool.
Please consider doing an LP if you can.

I might consider it after my Freelancer LP is done. Its been 20+ years since I last touched TFTD though and this mod has made it even more alien to me. If I attempted to do an LP it would most definitely be in any way or form, high strategic detail.

I have played and completed the original Xcom many times over the years. My experience with completing TFTD for the only and only time didn't make me want to revisit any time soon.

If I LP this game many people will die, many, many people!

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jan 25, 2022

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Infamously so, I think the bug wasn't even discovered until years and years after the release of the original XCOM

I started a second game, my first one just being a trial to get a feel for the changes: in three months, I was averaging about 3-4 deaths per mission. Even for an XCOM game, it's a friggin' meatgrinder!

I'm only two months in and I've lost two people in four missions. Both of those people were lost in one mission and I quit out of a mission last night because of the same "Alien Presence" encounter. I don't know if you've encountered it yet but there's a mission type where you encounter half a dozen huge jellyfish type creatures on a very small map, who are massive bullet sponges, can move far and can one-shot your men. I'm not usually one for abandoning a mission when it starts going downhill but I had three of those bastards just descend on my men at the same time, my current weapons are lovely and these things need at least a dozen bullets to be taken down.

So far, the mod has been quite interesting. There are a lot of weapon choices very early on after some minor research, a bit too many for my taste as I think too much choice is a bad thing sometimes. There are new mission types with new alien types which seem interesting so far but I haven't read the lore behind some of these choices yet. One of these mission types I've experienced twice and it's quite random playing them without context behind it. The new starting base layout is confusing at first and some of the new room types are very confusing to me at the moment like the Outpost and the inclusion of being able to use a space to add an empty corridor. I'm going to keep playing it, I'm enjoying it so far despite some of the added bullshit on top of the already bullshit game mechanics.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Mraagvpeine posted:

Looking at the archives, there are 5 Demon's Souls LPs and 3 Dark Souls LPs. Should I watch all of them or certain ones?

It depends on what you're wanting to get out of them. Squint's LP of Demon Soul's was recommended by ivantod and it's an LP that I really enjoyed, it's informative and entertaining.

The only Dark Souls LP that I've watched is the one done by Geop & Vicas and it's very enjoyable: https://lparchive.org/Dark-Souls/. It's definitely not lore-heavy or a 100% run but it's very entertaining.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

PurpleXVI posted:

Heimdall or Cadaver. I tried both games as a kid, but between being ESL and pretty young at the time, I could never figure them out. I'd be curious to see if I was missing out or what.

I remember playing Cadaver on the Atari ST when I was a kid. I tried to play it numerous times but I never got very far. I'd be very happy if someone decided to take it * on.

Edit: *and the add-on/expansion

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Aug 4, 2022

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I'd like to request an LP of Graveyard Keeper. It's a little like Stardew Valley, you can grow vegetables, catch fish, uncover the secrets of the land and do tasks for NPC's. But you're also burying dead people, harvesting their organs to sell for pocket money and trying to raise a zombie army find a way back home.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

:justpost:

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

dlrry posted:

Has there ever been an LP of any of the classic Gran Turismos?

Not that I'm aware of, there's nothing on the master list and nothing comes up a search.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

PurpleXVI posted:

You know what I just realized I want to see?

LP's of Battlespire and Redguard.

I have thought about doing Redguard for the fun of it, it's a game that I remember fondly when I was younger and even bought it on GOG a couple of years ago. But it does have some commonly reported performance issues, unfortunately. From what I've read, Dosbox can't handle it, which may be down to it needing to use DOS and Windows to function properly. For an SSLP it's not a problem if things are running slow but there may be some issues when playing the game itself when it comes to the fighting and platforming sequences. I've taken people's suggestions with editing the config files and such and it's definitely playable for me at low resolutions and with the graphics turned down. There isn't an option to run the GOG version in software mode either, which may be a blessing as I believe there is a bug in the software mode which means that you can't complete the game.

I've tried using PCem to run the game on Windows 98 and still had performance issues there. That might be down to not allocating enough resources to the emulation or it might be down to it using too many resources in general, I haven't done enough testing there to find out.

I'm all up for anyone doing an LP of Redguard, just be prepared that it may need a lot of tweaking to get working effectively.

I've just fired up the game and it runs fine on 800x600 with everything turned down to the minimal settings, when I edited DOSBox to increase the window to 1024x768 the game started slowing down then speeding up repeatedly.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This may be a long shot but I'd like to see SSLP's of MegaTraveller 1: The Zhodani Conspiracy and MegaTraveller 2: Quest for the Ancients.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I only found out about The Demon Rush today and it seems like a sequel has made it onto Steam. I'm making a request for someone to tackle this beast.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I'd love to see more but they looked like they were an organisational nightmare. Not to mention the commitments needed from people to take up the mantle at an unknown point in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'm having a weird flashback to an LP - that might not have been in here? - about physical casebooks where goons were given paper evidence and clues and had to solve a mystery. Like a CYOA but with more feelies. It wasn't from the Sherlock Holmes megathread, I remember that much. But... what was it?

Kangra LP'd the physical edition of the Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective - The Queens Park Affair here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3920897