Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Maybe that's why so many cops beat their families, in the hopes that they'll leave so they won't be broke all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

People who choose to be cops should be viewed with suspicion. People who choose to be cops for no pay should be put into a gulag.

Edit: if these people actually wanted to make their community a better place, they'd sign up to be a reserve firefighter.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Flikken posted:

There are states whose system forces a lot of police academy grads to take unpaid gigs where they are basically taken advantage of by local municipalities.

I'm looking at you Ohio...

Edit: Basically if you go to a police academy, pass the Opota test and get a commission as a police officer in the state of Ohio, you have 12 months to find a department that will hire you. So a lot of smaller departments will hire you to an unpaid auxiliary position, where you work 20 hours a month, for free. So that you have time get hired on to a paying department.

That sounds like you really, really have to want to be a cop in Ohio to put up with that. I say gently caress 'em if they're willing to unnecessarily be indentured servants. They chose to be cops, no sympathy.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Don't forget the prison industrial complex being a huge driving factor of the American economy. There is a lot of money to be made by throwing people in jail instead of actually helping them.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Honestly, I'm a little surprised they didn't hogtie him and throw him on the back of one of the horses.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

What is the point of having cops on horses in an urban environment anyway? Wouldn't they be better off on bikes?

I mean, I know the real answer, I'm just curious what the justification is.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

bird cooch posted:

Cops are loving civilians.

How is this loving hard they aren't in the military they're loving civilians.

Take away protections. take away the ability to self police.

If you fire your service weapon you are done working as a police officer.

Yeah, this is the thing that people don't seem to grasp: there's no such thing as a "blue life". It's a job, just like any other job. You choose to be a cop, it's not something that is forced upon you. At this point anyone who has chosen to be a cop has picked a side in a fight between the general population and an oppressive armed force.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Or becoming a cop is akin to jury duty. Your number gets pulled out of a hat, you have to be a cop for a year. Increase the pay so it's something people would actually not mind doing, and provide them free training.

Before implementing this, disarm the police forces around the country, with the exception of small state level SWAT teams that answer to the governor.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Chichevache posted:

Disarm everyone or you have accountants and cashiers responding to active shooter situations.

Yes, that's the next step.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

That number doesn't seem that high to be honest, and adds another tick mark in the column of "take guns away from the cops."

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

When are we going to have a serious national conversation about disarming the police?

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

I think the answer to that is that those cops knew what was beyond their target, and just didn't care because they know they won't face any repercussions.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

mlmp08 posted:

There’s a video of what appears to be a bystander suv trying to shove unmoving cars put of the way to escape the crossfire.

The cops move with the SUV to retain it as cover in the crossfire.

What absolutely gutless, cowardly scum. What the gently caress is the point of all their "thin blue line" bullshit if they're literally cowering behind innocent people while they take potshots at other innocent people.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

fknlo posted:

Imagine if one of the innocent civilians caught in the firefight hit one of the cops hiding behind their car as they tried to escape.

I can imagine the rest of the cop's sectors of fire moving to include said car.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

MonkeyWash posted:

I knew a bicycle cop in the guard that would catch college kids with drugs and then coerce them into the guard by looking the other way so he could collect the referral bonus. He retired as a cop and from the guard, a couple kids died.

:catstare:

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

i can't tell the difference between cops and oath keepers

They're the same people most of the time :ssh:

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Maybe the answer is deescalation.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

When cops separate themselves, it's more than fine to otherize them. Which side of the thin blue line you're on matters to them.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

I mean, the cops killed the suspects, that's something wrong.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

The only argument I saw boiled down to "they shouldn't be so ready to go tactical at all times" and "they shouldn't be morons". Both of which are true, but they're problems with the way society works now.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Chichevache posted:

Cole, do you think swat is perpetually on standby and close enough to respond to an active shooter call in a reasonable amount of time? It can take hours to get swat to respond to something depending on the location or if they are previously engaged.

What the gently caress is the point if they aren't then?

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Chichevache posted:

Planned uses of force that have a high potential to be deadly that can be reduced by having officers with specialized training there. Think hostage situations, standoffs, etc.

That description applies to literally any interaction between the police and the general public though.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

The great American tradition of curing the disease after ignoring the symptoms for decades.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Has anyone photoshopped that one Dale Gribble looking would-be mass shooter into that picture?

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Yeah, that's the US military and IDF's job.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Well, as we as a society have clearly decided, cops aren't average citizens and do not have to play by the same rules as everyone else.

Also, I sure hope all of you are willing to agree that there are bad cops, and there are good people who are cops, but that there are major institutional problems with the police in the USA and even if you're a good cop, you're part of a corrupt and problematic institution which makes you part of the problem.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

It's more than one, which is too many.

Disarm the police, they don't get to be executioners.

Edit: and before anyone says the next thing that is always said, step two is disarming the general population.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Smiling Jack posted:

I'm genuinely curious, what do you think the number is

I don't care what the number is because it's not 0. It doesn't matter.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Just gonna say again that we should disarm the police.

Dude who shows up to a report of a suicidal man ready to shoot anything that moves clearly isn't responsible enough to have a gun as part of his job.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

I have no problems with cops on an individual level until they give me a reason to dislike them, my problems are with the way policing has been done on an institutional level. I also realize that the news that you see generally only shows the wrongdoing that is done. However, the things that police across the country do and don't get away with is such an insane problem that is seemingly only an American issue that I think that something drastic has to be done about it, and that very few people who are currently police officers can be part of that solution. You have to remove the cancer and the surrounding cells.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

I'm not a police officer in the United States in 2019, that's a pretty positive effect I think.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Pretty sure none of those crimes are punishable by the death penalty, with the exception of that bar shooting, but since the guy is dead we'll never know what the story was.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

So justice and due process don't matter when they're put up against safety? Do you also support the PATRIOT Act?

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Yeah, the argument you're making is that those people deserved to get shot/die.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

It's always baffled me how we trust police officers with guns more than the military.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

You either support the police/troops or the second amendment, you cannot support both.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

I wonder if race has anything to do with it, or if it's just because that cop is a big baby.

I'm just kidding, I know it's both.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

A medically induced tracheal crushing.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Liquid Communism posted:

Because, I note, if you don't every cop in the state will start loving up your evidence and testimony until you get fired for incompetence.

DAs who aggressively prosecute cops start getting a ton of 'I do not recall' on the stand.

I'd say the response to that is to stop prosecuting cases of violence against the police.

But then you'll probably commit suicide by shooting yourself in the back of the head.

Edit: Twice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006

Liquid Communism posted:

Edit: Turns out two of these cops have records.

https://www.kare11.com/article/news...b7-b25dc201fc24

Chauvin: 13 complaints, 2 shootings (1 fatal)
Thao : 6 complaints, $25k awarded to victims in excessive force case.

Have a record like that in any other line of work and you'd have been fired a long time ago. It's insane that these subhuman scum still had any sort of job near a law enforcement agency.