Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Copchat is being detained and will be placed here for the safety of the rest of the subforum. Do not resist.

And this not open season for shitposting. You wanna do copchat? Do it properly. Use your loving words.

McNally fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jul 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Just in case you didn't see the edit to the OP, this is not a consequence-free environment.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Please don't fill the thread with snuff.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Kawasaki Nun posted:

what the gently caress does arming the "middle class" accomplish?

The working class is not the middle class.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Kawasaki Nun posted:

bad quote but yeah, what does arming the working class accomplish? They have access to guns now and they are getting hosed worse than ever

Edit : working to make this the double containment zone :cheers:

It works within the context of a marxist uprising which is what i think Prof Bling was going for.

Outside that context not so much.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Steezo posted:

Or when the clan is engaging in a voter suppression bombing campaign, or the local sheriff is beating poll watchers and stealing ballot boxes to protect incumbents.

Both of which have happened within a human lifespan in the U.S.

Yep. Duh me.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Isn't the klan an example of an "armed working class" itself though? Not that klan leadership wasn't almost completely overlapping with the political leadership of that area, but plenty of the rank and file were/are just blue collar racists.

More class traitors since they were working to suppress other members of the working class.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Professor Bling, is there any reply from one of the few cops here beyond “Golly Gee, you’re right, I’ll suck start my service weapon before the end of my shift!” that would satisfy you, or what? It’s one thing to be rightfully and seriously skeptical about policing in the US because there’s a ton of hosed up and reprehensible poo poo that happens, but your response to anyone else is just the same ACAB shtick. Is there anything else that could actually change your mind?

Hey, Professor Bling, I think you missed this post. Answer the question.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Professor Bling posted:

Sure. I'll take my time and write out something reasoned since I'm falling back into angry yelling again.

You have until 2 PM Eastern tomorrow.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Professor Bling posted:

Well the CE thread got closed because apparently we're not allowed to disagree with banning guns? so why not talk about it here instead, since it seems like another topic mods don't want to deal with

Did I say "don't talk about this" or did I say "let's take a break?"

People were winding up a poster who was still able to articulate his argument while clearly being emotional about it, which is something you've never been able to figure out.

It was that or a carpet bombing. Weird how you're only okay with less collateral damage when it benefits you.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Professor Bling posted:

Maybe articulating this somewhere other than the discord would be a good idea, then, eh?

Because for folks without access to the discord it just looks like you shut it down for no real reason, rather than this actually very decent reason (follow-up personal attack notwithstanding)

Bloo bloo bloo McNally's being mean to me.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Professor Bling posted:

That's... not the point of that post?

Then why even bring up the "follow-up personal attack?"

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
So I took a break. Had something to eat.

Professor Bling, I owe you an apology. You were being completely reasonable here and I was being a jackass. I'm sorry about that.

Yes, absolutely, I should have articulated my reason for closing the CE thread. I take the forum/discord overlap for granted and I need to be more mindful that what I say in there isn't available to everybody.

And then I cranked my assholery to 11.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Chichevache posted:

Telling other posters they should die is pretty lovely.

I think he was making reference to TwoFing's unfortunate experience with marine generators rather than telling him to fry himself on a generator.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Just report the posts and I'll deal with it.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
As a reminder, this thread is to prevent copchat from making GBS threads up the rest of the forum. It is not an unmoderated cesspit.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Yeah, I misread the post. My bad, man.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Stravag posted:

Stop being rascist. Any color rope can fix a cop problem

Dial back on comments like this please.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Professor Bling posted:

Fixed that for you

Remember when I said on this very page to dial back poo poo like this?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
"Better" would start with not being a disingenuous little poo poo.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Stravag posted:

Is cool im back in genpop and will remain the hero cops need right now.

You're on thin ice, don't push it.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Proud Christian Mom posted:

The front door was unlocked. She walked in, saw a black guy sitting on the couch eating ice cream, smoked him, and then called her partner(who she was about to go gently caress(he's also married)) asking what to do.

At no time did she ever render aid. Dude bled out on his own loving couch.

Goddamnit, I'm not going to stand for this kind of lovely posting.

You don't double up on parentheses. If you have a parenthetical within your parenthetical, you use brackets.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Stravag posted:

If it would be a triple parenthical do we use number signs or parenthesis again inside the bracket?

A triple parenthetical is an anti-semitic dogwhistle and will get you banned.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Stravag posted:

I am suddenly fascinated by a rabbithole i didnt even know existed but suddentl find myself teetering on the edge of. Quad parentheticals? Pentas? DECAS?!

Im assuming the quad call for illuminati and the pentas are to bring in the ancient aliens people. Does a deca start the ultimate showdown of ultimate destiny?

Honestly, I can only imagine that any of the style guides would say that if you're using triple parentheticals (or more) in one sentence, your sentence structure is hosed up beyond belief.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Stravag posted:

Im just imagining the hilariously indepth technical explanation of some insanely complex piece of machinery and by the time you get 10 levels deep its been pushed to the level of (thing make go)

Oh, technical writing is its own strange creature.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Nevermind. I read she's being sentenced between 5-99 so it looks like she's on the hook for Murder one.

Did she intend to commit murder when she entered the apartment though?

She probably intended to commit murder when she did absolutely nothing to help after she shot him.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
"We encourage those leaders to be mindful because their words may jeapordize (sic) the integrity of the city of Dallas and DPD" reads like being told "be careful what you say, for your own safety" accompanied by a hard stare.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Chichevache posted:

It does if you work from the assumption that they planned a murder to protect one of their own. If you dont think that then it sounds like they're trying real hard to keep the peace and they're worried that people pushing conspiracy theories without evidence are going to make it hard to do that.

Edit

It could definitely have been phrased more eloquently, but I doubt the DPD chief is well versed in leftist twitter or PR.

I mean, it works equally well if you don't think that they planned a murder but are complicit in covering one up. :v:

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

mlmp08 posted:

It says their words may jeopardize the integrity of the PD.

Not that the words impugn the integrity. Not that the words are doubting their integrity. The words, in and of themselves, jeopardize the integrity.

There are like a dozen versions of “no one can take your integrity from you; but you can give it away” quotes out there.

Saying that words from others expressing doubt in the PD’s integrity may cause the police to shed their own integrity reads as a threat.

In fairness, I think this ascribes more competence with the English language than the person who misspelled "jeopardize" possesses.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Chichevache posted:

So you're going with the "cops intentionally made this threat" interpretation instead of the "whichever moron was too fat to work the street and got stuck on social media duty cant write good" interpretation?

Or more eloquently phrased:

Why can't it be both? You can still argue "if you know what's good for you you'll be quiet about this" is a valid reading of the tweet AND say "wow, way to wordsmith that tweet guys"

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
So basically our options are "too incompetent to not voice a threat publicly" or "too incompetent to wordsmith a statement that doesn't sound like a threat."

I'm seeing a pattern here.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

bird cooch posted:

Or they found it in the bedside table in the bedroom far far away from the person.

This was my assumption too

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Doc Hawkins posted:

this seems like a great example of gunpower: that someone had a gun is ventured as a justification for a cop killing them with a gun. this is offensive from an abstract perspective of a right to bear arms, but makes perfect sense if you feel the purpose of that right, and of guns themselves, is to enforce our society's current hierarchy. in that light, it is natural for police (and men and white folks in general) to order, threaten, and kill people within their socially recognized area of control (a "beat," an ethnically privilehed neighborhood, a house, etc).

Your writing style is very evocative of a crazy uncle who ever says things that are correct by accident.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Jesus loving Christ your goddamned av

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Victor Vermis posted:

WHAT DID YOU DO

People were getting motion sickness from your old av.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Victor Vermis posted:

Sorry for the ableist art, gang. I'd PM you about this but EBB thinks it's hilarious to tax low-income earners for using folksy GIP memes in the Drunk Thread.

Can you at least change it to something that doesn't suck? With text color changed to Olive:

You were banned for using homophobic slurs you disingenuous gently caress.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Hey, here's a crazy loving idea: Don't make loving jokes about loving suicide.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
I've been told that I'm not doing enough to make people aware, so in the spirit of GIP I'm going to wildly overreact and post this same message in all the active threads.

Another run of Useless Dirt shirts is being put together. Deadline to order is 11:59 PM Eastern time tomorrow.

Info is here

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Stravag posted:

Yeah you tie it around their wrists and then they cant reach their gun and shoot people and dangle from a tree so people can throw tomatoes at them. Last i knew you dont die from tomatoes

Nobody's buying it. Stop being a disingenuous gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
https://twitter.com/MiramarPD/status/1202731182720458752?s=20

Thankfully their use of civilians as ablative armor has paid off.