Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Professor Bling, is there any reply from one of the few cops here beyond “Golly Gee, you’re right, I’ll suck start my service weapon before the end of my shift!” that would satisfy you, or what? It’s one thing to be rightfully and seriously skeptical about policing in the US because there’s a ton of hosed up and reprehensible poo poo that happens, but your response to anyone else is just the same ACAB shtick. Is there anything else that could actually change your mind?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Thanks for clarifying your thoughts; I do appreciate the time you took in answering my question. I understand where you’re coming from, and just to echo what Shim said- if this topic feels like it’s hurting you directly, maybe it’s not a bad idea to take a step back from it from time to time.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

I’ve been on a big podcast kick lately so I’d be happy to write an OP for a thread on one.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

https://twitter.com/nezumi_ningen/status/1170165259690291200?s=19

This looks like some seriously gross poo poo right here.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

This would be a good thing if Amber Guyger, a law-abiding person of color sitting on her couch, used lethal force to defend herself against Officer Botham Jean, a cop so deranged by horniness that they entered the wrong apartment. Otherwise holy loving poo poo gently caress that judge.

Edit: reading the article, it seems like the prosecution didn’t want SYG considered in this case, yet the judge ruled that it should be anyhow? What the gently caress is this?

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Kawasaki Nun posted:

We should disarm all police and repeal the 2nd amendment

I’d be a lot more amenable to gun control if it affected the police first.

A few months ago, we had an issue in my building with a neighbor who had dementia. She basically convinced herself that a local grifter was her boyfriend and invited him home to live with her while he quietly stole and sold her poo poo. Long story short, Adult Protective Services and then the cops got involved. As soon as APS got called, I started getting religious about making sure my door was locked at all loving times, even when my fiancée and I were at home. My demented neighbor lived directly underneath me, and our unit numbers were only one number apart. I could have seen a situation wherein the cops went to the wrong unit, opened the door, freaked out my dog and prompted him to charge or bark at them, and then I’d be left with a dead dog (and probably a dead me because I can’t guarantee that I wouldn’t try to beat the everloving gently caress out of someone who hurt my dog, no matter who they are.)

The DC police don’t even have a reputation for being trigger happy, but these sure are things you think about when there’s a lot more uniforms around your home than you’re used to.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Right, but at least he got home safe at the end of the day.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

This is a marked improvement from the last time the BART cops were in the news, which was when one cop shot a detained person on the ground after they “mistook their sidearm for their Tazer.”

It’s an improvement from “criminally abysmal” to “mediocre” but hey, the bar is low.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

loving :laffo: at “Torch Run” being on a police vehicle- a Charger nonetheless- in Charlottesville; whoever did this is at BEST completely tone deaf and more likely a fash.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Meanwhile

https://twitter.com/LeslieRubinWCHS/status/1202676899513880581

It should be noted that the government blurred these aspiring fascists’ faces, not any of the media outlets who have run this story.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Based on the article and video, it looks like the police opened fire on the truck first. Why? Given that there were hostages in a soft skin vehicle and it was in an area full of bystanders, wouldn’t it have made more tactical sense to exercise patience instead of shooting high velocity rounds that would penetrate both sides of the vehicle as well as probably at least two cars on either side of it? Why couldn’t they have pulled the cruisers back, followed it with a heli, and waited until the truck ran out of gas or wrecked and then negotiated a surrender?

And all this over a bunch of lovely stolen jewelry? Frankly it seems like a miracle that more bystanders weren’t killed.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

BadOptics posted:

I'm guessing those cops received training from the School of The Americas. It's always a good sign when an empire begins using the same tactics from it's outer sphere/colonies at home.

quote:

Foucault said that while colonization, with its techniques and its political and juridical weapons, obviously transported European models to other continents, it also had a considerable boomerang effect on the mechanisms of power in the West, and on the apparatuses, institutions, and techniques of power. A whole series of colonial models was brought back to the West, and the result was that the West could practice something resembling colonization, or an internal colonialism, on itself”

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/opensecurity/foucaults-boomerang-new-military-urbanism/

Stephen Graham expanded this into a pretty good and disturbing book called “Cities Under Siege” that examines this exact phenomenon. It’s worse than just cops wearing multicam.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Whatever it was, it’s gone.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

So I don’t get what the point of this thread is if when every time Smiling Jack or Bored as gently caress respond to a post concerning obvious police misconduct, bad uses of force or their own opinions as to what parts of American policing are hosed and which are slightly less hosed, the usual response by many here is to treat them like they’re some avatar from officer.com or some thin blue line shitheads. I remember when GIP had actual no poo poo CHUD cops posting on the reg in here, and they’ve all moved on or been chased out for being lovely people. Is anyone actually learning anything here or is this just a chance to say gently caress you to a cop?

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

there is literally no difference between executing a mass murderer and a cop killing an innocent person

:thunk:

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

That's the most 2020 news story ever.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Shooting Blanks posted:

You could be correct, I have no idea - and I have no idea if that department has a reputation for racism. I'm taking everything at face value, which so far seems to be that this cop shot a handcuffed dude, and the department is pressing charges 24 hours later.

Temple Hills is in Prince George’s County, which is predominantly black. There are some super lovely parts of the county, but it’s also host to one of the largest black middle and upper middle class communities in the mid-Atlantic and generally a pretty, green place. As such I don’t think race played a role in the indictment, it seems like there was no possible way for it to be a justified shooting by any stretch of the imagination.

Also why was the guy in the front seat of the vehicle?

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

How are cops handling routine traffic stops and face to face interactions during COVID?

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

The department in question put out this statement:

https://www.ranchocordovapd.com/Home/Components/News/News/4044/2312

quote:

Note: These are the facts as we understand them at this time. This investigation is in its infancy and the facts as we understand them now are subject to change as we conduct a more thorough and complete examination of the circumstances surrounding this incident.

On April 27, 2020, a Problem Oriented Policing (POP) Officer with the Rancho Cordova Police Department was proactively patrolling the area of Mills Station Road and Mather Field Road. The deputy was in the area due to complaints from citizens about hand-to-hand sales of alcohol, tobacco and drugs to minors.

It’s important to put video footage into context, especially in relation to a use of force incident. In this case, the deputy saw what he believed to be a hand-to-hand exchange between an adult and juvenile. As the deputy turned around, he lost sight of the adult, who left the area. When the deputy approached the juvenile, the juvenile was uncooperative and refused to give the deputy basic identifying information. He told the deputy he was 18 years old. Having reasonable suspicion that criminal activity was occurring, the deputy attempted to detain the juvenile so he could conduct further investigation. The juvenile became physically resistive at that time, causing the deputy to lose control of his handcuffs, which landed several feet away. The deputy attempted to maintain control of the juvenile without his handcuffs and while alone waiting for his partners to arrive and assist him.

Ultimately, the deputy recovered tobacco products from the 14-year-old juvenile, which is presumably the reason for his resistance. The juvenile was cited and released to his guardians.

This type of situation is hard on everyone--the young man, who resisted arrest, and the officer, who would much rather have him cooperate. The community should know our deputies have a heart for the Rancho Cordova community, especially for the youth they serve through the schools, PAL sports, and our new Youth Center.

These are the facts as we know them. The Sheriff’s Office and Rancho Cordova Police Department, however, have proactively started an investigation into the use of force by our deputy in order to gain a complete and thorough understanding of the events that took place during this incident. Maintaining the public trust and remaining transparent are of paramount importance to the Sheriff’s Office and Rancho Cordova Police Department.

At least those blunt wraps are off the street!

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Cops in Louisville execute raid on the wrong address looking for a guy already in custody, failing to announce themselves and sparking a gunfight with a lawful gun owner. Said gun owner's girlfriend, the person renting the apartment, was an EMT and aspiring nurse, and got killed in the crossfire. The boyfriend has now been charged with first-degree assault and attempted murder of a police officer.

With the facts presented as they are in that article, I would hope it was the cops facing charges of assault and murder.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Given that this year is probably going to get even weirder with hurricane season looming (for those of us on the Atlantic and Gulf coasts), would there be interest in starting a non-:freep:/non-:tinfoil: emergency preparedness thread? While chat about body armor and guns is a part of it, I’d think that people could get a lot of value out of other practical aspects like mutual aid and community organization. Thoughts?

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

PookBear posted:

smiling jack posted a ban me in tfr lol didn't even have the balls to do it here

He was one of the few non-lovely cop posters who was a regular here and TFR before there was a GIP so I guess congrats on this stunning victory :rolleyes:

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Who was the cop who posted here for a while who was making like poverty level wages in a resort town and had horrible, authoritarian bosses to the degree that other cops were telling him to quit, and when he did, he was happy to the degree not seen until Mustang got out?

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

The people at that McDonalds are lucky she didn’t “fear for her life” any more than she did otherwise she might have magdumped into the drive through box.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

It’s not bootlicking to point out that Columbine and Parkland represent the worst and most visible examples of police failing to respond to an active shooter. It’s because of the former that training and doctrine have evolved to try to mitigate a situation like the latter; in that case, it really was a failure of courage and absolutely terrible poo poo-rear end cops to do what was expected of them.

That said, active shooter incidents are so rare that using them as a major focal point for criticizing police in the US as a whole is a big reach, especially when there are so many other everyday areas where police are loving up to the detriment of everyone else.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

I hope that cop is always haunted by the noise of two dogs barking off in the distance. Only he can hear it and it drives him increasingly insane for the rest of his lovely life.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Police officer shot during high steaks operation.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

https://twitter.com/nowthisnews/status/1381065212506296320

I’m beginning to think that we may have just a teensy little systemic problem with law enforcement! Perhaps this could be resolved by making them pinky swear they won’t put any Black men in cuffs immediately upon arriving on scene in exchange for more cast off MRAPs from the military?

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

The Department of the Interior released a report claiming that the forcible dispersal of protestors near the White House on June 1 had nothing to do with Trump’s obscene photo op but was instead pre-arranged by the Secret Service and Park Police to create fencing to protect officers. Amazingly enough they didn’t actually interview anyone in the Secret Service or the Trump administration to come to this conclusion.

As a DC resident I’d like to formally extend a hearty gently caress you to the Park Police. Of all of DC’s way too many law enforcement agencies, they’re the ones that seem to get off the most on murdering with impunity and stonewalling the investigation. On June 1 I remember seeing all of the helicopters- some that showed up on open-source tracking sites, others that didn’t (including the FBI HRT heli that had people dangling off the side like it was loving Black Hawk Down or something)- and hearing from friends in other neighborhoods as cops from the Park Police and other federal LE acted like bullies wherever they were.

Whip, if you still lurk here, I hope you’ve moved onto another agency.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

https://twitter.com/PaulyFred/status/1404416704894189570

Are you referring to this?

Aggro cops not knowing how to handle teenagers being teenagers are just one of the many reasons why I prefer the beach off-season. Also Ocean City is represented by Andy Harris, a Trump bootlicker, so another reason to stay away from there. I assume the locals are fine with their police acting like this.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Hey here’s something cool and normal for a police department to do:

https://www.tampabay.com/investigations/2021/07/24/pasco-sheriffs-office-letter-targets-residents-for-increased-accountability/

quote:

Greetings, We are pleased to inform you that you have been selected to participate in a Prolific Offender Program run by the Pasco Sheriff’s Office in cooperation with the Department of Justice Strategies for Policing Innovation Initiative. This program provides you with an opportunity to receive assistance from the Pasco Sheriff’s Office and several community partners who will work with you to identify and overcome barriers that have hindered you in your life’s journey. Ultimately, the goal of this program is to empower you to live a lawful, productive and fulfilled life.

Research indicates that barriers to successful living may involve struggles with mental health, substance abuse, domestic violence, homelessness, finding a job, or several other challenges many people face on a daily basis. It is possible you have struggled with some of these issues. If so, please know the Pasco Sheriff’s Office is committed to support you in overcoming these challenges through this program.

You may wonder why you were enrolled in this program. You were selected as a result of an evaluation of your recent criminal behavior using an unbiased, evidence-based risk assessment designed to identify prolific offenders in our community. As a result of this designation, we will go to great efforts to encourage change in your life through enhanced support and increased accountability. If you refrain from criminal activity over the next two years, your Prolific Offender designation will be removed.

It is our hope you will actively pursue change by seeking and participating in the services and support you will have access to. We have partnered with Pasco County Human Services to ensure you have help navigating all available resources. A list of many of these resources has been provided to you with this letter. Although help is available, you are the one who must decide whether or not you will pursue change and accept the help being offered.

This letter was designed to communicate our sincere desire to help you begin a new path. We are committed to your success. We are also committed to pursuing consistent, firm, and fair consequences if you choose to continue in the criminal behavior that is hurtful not only to you, but to your family and our community.

quote:

The Times found being named a Sheriff’s Office target could have serious consequences. Deputies showed up at homes at all hours of the day and night, writing tickets for violations like overgrown grass and making arrests for any reason they could find.

By 2020, some 1,000 people had been ensnared. About 100 were 18 years old or younger.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Meshka posted:

Up the bum, how does it feel to be the biggest piece of poo poo on the forums, does it come naturally or is it a learned skill?

I’ll have you know he earned it by years of carefully dumping tweets without commentary into this thread and many others, therefore distinguishing himself apart from so many others who wish they could wear the title of “shitposter” while never quite rising to the occasion when the forums needed them.

Unlike this stupid cop, who died a preventable death after refusing to get a safe and miraculously effective vaccine and drowning in his own lungs while being afforded the same status as a cop who dies after getting hit by a car while responding to a traffic accident or stopping an active shooter or something that we should at least nominally recognize as performing a community service.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Last in year in Portland, there were squads of DOJ feds all kitted out in high-cut helmets and Multicam rolling around in unmarked vans and jumping out to snatch people, seemingly at random. I do wonder what would have happened if a lawful CCW holder had been in proximity, and come to the conclusion that these guys and their Call of Duty operator cosplay garb were Proud Boy types attempting to kidnap someone and drawn on them. I have an inkling that the outcome would have involved at least a few dead people, but to me, that seems like a clear-cut example of self defense like this Minneapolis video.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Bored As gently caress posted:

FWIW, the job posting did say that necessary requirements were years in SWAT or military combat arms, with desired qualifications being time in SOF units. So they very well could be full of ex Rangers or MARSOC dudes. The regular DOE contractor security officers / protection guys may just want a certain number of years of LEO or military experience, but certain units in the DOE force protection game really seek out SOF. See below.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Office_of_Secure_Transportation

This sounds like the kind of job where it’s 99.999999999999999999% Certified Cool Guy Training and Fun Stories poo poo until they hit that one .00000000000000001% once-in-a-dozen-lifetimes scenario where it’s an actual “oh poo poo oh poo poo oh poo poo oh poo poo oh poo poo” moment.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

https://twitter.com/imposter_edits/status/1467880897668128783?s=21

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Two LAPD officers unsuccessfully tried to contest being fired after they didn't respond to a robbery in progress call. Why didn't they respond? Because they were playing Pokemon Go and Snorlax popped up nearby.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

The victim in in the Minneapolis case had a CCW and no criminal record. The police basically committed a home invasion and straight up murdered him in his home without any evidence of him committing a crime whatsoever- he wasn't even named in the search warrant.

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2022/02/04/amir-locke-minneapolis-police-body-cam-video/

Everyone involved needs to go to prison for this.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

https://twitter.com/attackerman/status/1494125204179755008

Gottem!

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Remember that cop wrestling a 73-year old woman with dementia to the ground and causing her severe orthopedic trauma for the high crime of shoplifting $14 worth of stuff from Wal-Mart?

He just got five years in prison for it and her family won a $3 million settlement from the city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

https://www.morningjournal.com/2023/07/07/justice-for-dixie-rally-protests-fatal-shooting-of-dog-by-lorain-police-officer/

Useless piece of poo poo pig shoots and kills a three year old Yellow Lab that was clearly acting in a friendly and non-aggressive matter, angering an entire neighborhood. The body cam audio doesn’t activate until after the shooting, but obviously it’s loving horrible.

Really trying to not be an internet tough guy here but I honestly don’t think I could trust myself to act rationally if something like that happened to my dogs. Those neighbors acted with a lot of restraint in not beating the absolute poo poo out of that cop right then and there. I hope that department’s cruisers start catching bricks through windshields until that cop is fired and jailed for animal cruelty.