Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

People who get off to having power.

Police in the US need to have more centralized certification and training and to re-professionalize

its decentralized so much so that no political fallout can ever reach state officials.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Fun. Anyway, I'd hypothesize that white nationalist/adjacent cops tend to congregate into certain departments/units, so you'll have a really uneven spread. That by itself will also limit detection, since all the people who might know enough to report it and provide credible evidence don't care. At least where I worked for a short time any sort of overt racism was generally disapproved of, but there was at least one guy everyone knew was a bigot (one guy was like, "if he sees a black driver and a white driver, you know which one he's gonna pull over") but generally the attitude was as long as he keeps his mouth shut there's nothing anyone can do/it doesn't matter. By himself, it's business as usual, at least by our low American standards for police behavior. But you have a small unit made up of guys like that, or a very small department, and things get scary quick.

holy poo poo you are part of the loving problem

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Chichevache posted:

Ok. I don't like you because you're a hypocrite who picks moral stances as a way to win arguments, not because he actually believes in something.

there is literally a cop in this thread talking about how racism isn't a problem except we did have this one dude that loved to write tickets for black people and no we never did anything about it

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Chichevache posted:

Yeah, he's an idiot. What's your point?

the point is he like the majority of cops allow poo poo heads to stay in the police force and don't do a loving thing about it

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

https://www.newsweek.com/fbi-leak-black-identity-extremist-threat-1453362

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

This goes back to the origin of police powers and federalism in general. The constitution does not grant police powers to the federal government except over areas of federal jurisdiction. Policing is otherwise left to the states. The criminal code is borne out of the English Common Law (except in Louisiana), and in many places common law crimes are still prosecuted.

So you have over 50 police jurisdictions many of which originated a couple hundred years ago. The structure of each state's policing has some similarities because of the common source. Inside each of these states, they have a basic structure and various levels of local control.

There have been attempts to standardize things, such as model penal codes, but the US is still basically 50 independent entities when it comes to policing.

The problem isn't that its 50 independent entities, the problem is that according to two seconds in google there are 18k police departments and 3k sheriff departments, so about 20k different semi independent entities with extremely little oversight by 50 different independent entities.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Chichevache posted:

(yeah, yeah, insert whatever "all policing is routed in protecting capitalism" complaint here. At the end of the day we all just want everyone- not just cops- to go home safe).

Cops are specifically trained to only deal with certain types of crimes and to leave white collar crime alone. No matter how good of a cop you are, or if you only do go after people that break the law, you aren't doing so evenly. Try arresting a 'small business owner' for wage theft next time they don't pay an employee that's quitting their last pay check, or don't pay overtime.

I mean just look at who you're allowed to kill. If someone is robbing a gas station for $100 bucks and a few cartons of cigarettes you're clear to smoke him and get called a hero. But someone that works their employees 50 hours because its cheaper to do that and not pay overtime than it is to hire one extra employee and pay for his benefits? That dude gets fines. He gets notices in the mail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLcpcytUnWU

I think this interview really sums up the problem, but replace journalist with cop

"I'm not saying you're self censoring, im sure you believe everything your saying. But what I'm saying is that if you believed something different you wouldn't be sitting where you're sitting"

PookBear fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Oct 2, 2019

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Chichevache posted:

If the owner is holding them for OT at gunpoint I can smoke him too! If it is necessary since I'm in Cali.

Also, look at some good news coming out of the Bay Area:

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Santa-Clara-County-Will-Suspend-Food-Permits-in-Wage-Theft-Cases-560963801.html

thats a good start but it goes back to my entire point. If someone is selling bootleg cigarettes he gets choked to death. If someone is committing wage theft they get fined and shut down. The point is that while you have control over your own actions, the morality of being a cop is entirely dependent upon those in charge of you. Being a cop isn't a profession. Don't take that as an insult, being in the military isn't a profession either. Neither of them have any real control over their destiny. No matter how good of a cop you wan't to be, its structured to pit you against blue collar criminals are really loving dumb white collar crime.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Man-Fatally-Shot-at-Dallas-Apartment-Complex-562267151.html

Dorner was right

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

The whole thing where the judge asked the jury to consider castle doctrine was to try and prevent the defense from trying to appeal

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Chichevache posted:

Why wouldn't you kill the star witness before the trial?

because they thought they didn't think they needed to. Now its a warning to the next one: snitch on us and you die

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFD_LRpsb_g

Look, no one had to sit down and explain what exactly jury nullification was to white jurors in the south,they just knew to reach a verdict of not guilty on lynching cases.

The right wing movement doesn't need a singular leader issuing out every order. There isn't a single entity killing BLM leaders in the same way that every school shooting is a different guy. Have a politician labeling one group as others that need to be killed, a somewhat competent group willing to do the killings, and a police force more than willing to be intentionally incompetent.

PookBear fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Oct 8, 2019

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Ok lets give the guy the benefit of the doubt for a second and assume he legit didn't mean it to sound like a threat. One of your cops just got convicted for murder followed shortly by one of the star witnesses getting murdered before they could testify in a civil suit that is still pending. If you can't figure out that your statement needs to be 100% not a threat then you are an idiot and useless as a police chief because no sane member of the public you serve should ever trust you.

Its like the bit from Its Always Sunny. We gotta definitely write a song about how we don't murder people. Do not murder people its no good murdering people.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

brains posted:

reminder that in texas, if this exact same situation had happened (skulking around the house with a flashlight and a gun at 2am, starts yelling at her from outside her bedroom window), and the guy wasn't wearing a badge, the woman would have been 100% within her legal right to shoot him right then and there, and would have been applauded for doing so by the 2A/fox news crowd.

only if they were white

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

as soon as a tragedy occurs, shaun king is right there to help by starting the fundraiser

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/chief-officers-proud-boys-membership-break-policy-66296876

"A Connecticut police officer's membership in the Proud Boys, a far-right group known for engaging in violent clashes at political rallies, didn't violate department policies, the town's police chief has concluded in response to a civil rights group's concerns."

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

also requiring degrees to be a cop would just result in more dipshit cops like vermis that get loving film degrees lol

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

We need an entire new civil service that isn't cops to deal with things like welfare checks, minor traffic infractions etc. Glorified meter maids don't need loving ar 15s.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

https://etvnews.com/price-city-selects-brandon-sicilia-as-new-chief-of-police/

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

thank god someone is doing something police corruption

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Bored As gently caress posted:

"Thank God veterans are doing something about the massive costs of the VA."

That's essentially what you said, just applied to vets rather than cops. Maybe that one hits close enough to home to realize what you said. In this subforum that supposedly promotes seeking out mental health and has people who work to try to reduce suicides.

gently caress off.

dead vets don't need benefits

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

EBB posted:

ACAB and all but yeah that's a lovely take, mental health isn't a joke here.

how about the PTSD that police abuse imparts on the citizens they're supposed to protect

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

drat the people of my community react negatively to me physically abusing them, better kill myself lol

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Internet Wizard posted:

On the one hand it's funny to watch cops assault sovereign citizens for no reason other than them being dumb, on the other hand ACAB and cops shouldn't be allowed to assault people with impunity.

let them fight

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Liquid Communism posted:

Every single person who fired a round in that travesty needs to be barred from ever carrying a weapon in a professional capacity again.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

call of duty cosplay is getting out of hand

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

i can't tell the difference between cops and oath keepers

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Chichevache posted:

Are we really making GBS threads on them for showing up ASAP? I feel like if the response had been to drive somewhere, change, and then respond to the shooting in a uniform acceptable to this thread they'd be shat on for not caring about a jewish deli.

they had time to throw on their tactical hat, merrell boots, designer jeans, plate carrier and their dope af AR but not enough time to shave or put on a single piece of clothing that made them look like anything resembling a cop and not a ghost recon wild lands character

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Smiling Jack posted:

Oh look it's the fashion police

"hey we are responding to a officer down and shots fired"

"Ok get the heavy vest and rifle from the trunk"

"Oh poo poo pull over we need to shave first as to not offend random assholes on the internet"

why do they even own plate carriers like that to begin with.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

my problem is that these dudes have the forethought to stage gear to respond, but the gear that they chose to stage is entirely civilian looking. Don't bother staging a plate carrier that says you're law enforcement and a simple wind breaker to throw on that again labels you as a cop. gotta wear the tactical poo poo and nothing else

PookBear fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Dec 12, 2019

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Chichevache posted:

So when someone says "if you cant do it right dont do it", well, the deputy who stood outside and listened to 17 children die at Stoneman Douglas made the decision not to do anything, and I think that was the wrong one.

If cops can't use FBI HRT tactics without loving up they don't get to do FBI HRT cosplay

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

Bad stacks and shaves in Jersey were a bad reason to get pissy about cops, especially in the context.

Also, disingenuously taking the tack that colachute was against cops responding to Jews being murdered is some buckwild bullshit, Chichevache.

I obviously don't think the cops should have shaved and went out and got proper gear during the shooting, my problem is with the actions that were taken BEFORE the shooting. They deliberately prepared gear to respond to an emergency and had the forethought to prepare boots, tactical hat, gun etc but they didn't think to include anything that visibly identifies them as a cop. The dude specifically chose a plate carrier that does the opposite of that.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Melthir posted:

What did I miss?

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Bored As gently caress posted:

Can you elaborate just exactly how "we" are actively doing anything (much less "everything possible") to increase the chances? Seems to me like more bodycams and better training, and the expansion of tasers to more and more departments are attempts to reduce police killings.

And who are the "we?" Society? Or police?

cops fought tooth and nail to resist body cams

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Chichevache posted:

If you've never been handcuffed than you'd be shocked how flexible someone in cuffs can be. Especially if they're not a fat computer touching goon.

Chichevache posted:

People gently caress up sometimes. Have you ever done a pat search? Ever done one on a person who is resisting that you really dont want to touch anyway?

Why the gently caress aren't you banned yet, you're literally trying to defend cops killing people that are handcuffed.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Smiling Jack posted:

welp I see this thread has progressed as expected

later

Smiling Jack posted:

all the poo poo wrong with policing in America today and you guys want to slapfight over infantry tactics which should not be police tactics

peace out guys

lmao you're a whiny gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

being a game warden would be cool