Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Maybe it's easier for it to render opaque geometry, even if it's a lot of triangles, than planes with transparency?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Sagebrush posted:

Maybe it's easier for it to render opaque geometry, even if it's a lot of triangles, than planes with transparency?

idk about cycles i guess, but most render engines are the exact opposite of this. ppl bake their geometry down to single images with transparency so they can render it faster, its how stuff like speed tree works and how unreal engine can get real time foliage.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
without knowing what I am talking about, I’d imagine transparency bounces are less efficient per ray but you’re doing it once rather than a handful of times for a bunch of leaves close together

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Utterly baffling on my end too but I'm not gonna argue with the results v:v:v it's not like they cast shadows or the like either. I'm wondering if it's because there's a lot of volumetric fog in my scene that it's tough for it to plough through transparency? I remember slowly knifing the grass plane apart thinking "this is dumb and gonna screw things up" and then staring dumbfounded at the scene when it rendered faster

Culling definitely made the biggest difference though for obvious reasons, I was amazed at how little reducing samples for pretty much everything affected the scene too

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

I think it boils down to, shooting rays through transparency is slow, and if you have a lot of overlapping transparency you need to use a ton of bounces (even slower) or else the transparency is noisy or just opaque. it’s different from a game engine which just alpha blends or applies a pixel shader to the geometry behind the transparent piece. in cycles the extra geometry for this foliage doesn’t matter as long as you have enough ram because loading geometry is not the slow part of a ray-tracing engine

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

fart simpson posted:

idk about cycles i guess, but most render engines are the exact opposite of this. ppl bake their geometry down to single images with transparency so they can render it faster, its how stuff like speed tree works and how unreal engine can get real time foliage.

That's not true, it's only the case for game engines and real time rasterisation. Every single ray tracing based renderer (vray, corona, cycles etc) is significantly faster at raw geometry over opacity maps. Most have internal tweaks to automatically clip opacity maps to only white/black to speed it up a ton. There's a lot of research papers about solving this, when I first started in the industry they needed to be avoided at all costs.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

cubicle gangster posted:

That's not true, it's only the case for game engines and real time rasterisation. Every single ray tracing based renderer (vray, corona, cycles etc) is significantly faster at raw geometry over opacity maps. Most have internal tweaks to automatically clip opacity maps to only white/black to speed it up a ton. There's a lot of research papers about solving this, when I first started in the industry they needed to be avoided at all costs.

huh ok. i guess tha tmakes sense

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

fractal friday came 2 days early this week. feeling bored at work and doing some geo nodes mandelbrot variations

https://i.imgur.com/cB3DVFV.mp4

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

fractal friday continues on thursday. zooming in as far as possible before the blenders float values run out of prcision and it turns into noise (it ends on 2^17 zoom). i like the coloring bands u get, its basically taking the magnitude of each number after 150 iterations and applying some colors to it

https://i.imgur.com/ft17pvq.mp4

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i like this still image from the middle

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

had a new idea. i know from previous experience with strange attractors that certain points do not get attracted, they just shoot off to infinity. what if i create a bigass volume of points, run a lorenz attractor for a while, and then delete the points that are further away than some set distance from 0,0,0 after like, 500 steps of simulation through the attractor equations

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...6e1008c13a79be&

kinda looks like a spaceship

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

this animation is cooler. its showing which points converge first. as time goes on, more and more points enter the area that i consider to signal that theyre converging

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...b1f11377a09f33&

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i suspect that if i take a 2d slice of that structure and really crank up the resolution, it might have a fractal boundary

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

fart simpson posted:

i suspect that if i take a 2d slice of that structure and really crank up the resolution, it might have a fractal boundary

update: not really... still looks neat though

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

fart simpson posted:

i like this still image from the middle

i see this 30-45 minutes before i get a migraine, lol

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

fart simpson posted:

had a new idea. i know from previous experience with strange attractors that certain points do not get attracted, they just shoot off to infinity. what if i create a bigass volume of points, run a lorenz attractor for a while, and then delete the points that are further away than some set distance from 0,0,0 after like, 500 steps of simulation through the attractor equations

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...6e1008c13a79be&

kinda looks like a spaceship
this is way prettier and more interesting than the OG lorenz

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

toiletbrush posted:

this is way prettier and more interesting than the OG lorenz

have you ever seen that before? i searched around and tried finding similar stuff but didn’t. it was just an idea that popped into my head at lunchtime

it’s basically the mandelbrot set process but with the lorenz equations i guess

Freshwater Louie
Jun 22, 2004

fffffffff
strange detectors and chaos in general are hella cool in use for generation of values that ride the lines between random and predictable. while it does not involve computer touching, take a look at this fourth-order hyperchaos generator for a deeper dive. check out the x-y plots for examples

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

heres a plot of all the points that converge in the aizawa attractor. the 3d shape is not interesting, basically just this shape extruded along a very gentle curve

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

if i run the simulation at a higher resolution it changes a bit. more detail over on the left side. next step should be implementing RK4 or something instead of euler numerical integration b/c decreasing the step size has hit a practical limit

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Mar 8, 2024

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
is there a simple way of sharing blender assets with other people? is it just 1) upload the blender file somewhere. 2) people download it and add it to their asset library directory.

for 3d models you could always just export the file in some interchange format, but for geometry nodes that option is not available.

even python scripts you can just share as a text file.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
i guess there is this https://github.com/SaitoTsutomu/GeometryTools that seems to be able to export and import geometry nodes to yaml.

i didn't test it, but at least is exists

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

fart simpson posted:

have you ever seen that before? i searched around and tried finding similar stuff but didn’t. it was just an idea that popped into my head at lunchtime
Not for strange attractors, no, but I've done similar stuff for mandelbrots and other fractals, funnily enough. There's loads of fun stuff you can do besides colour = iterations/escape time, like buddhabrots or using the path iterations take to distort images.

quote:

it’s basically the mandelbrot set process but with the lorenz equations i guess
Can you use this method to distort a mesh? As in, the input points are the points from the monkey mesh, and then step the Lorenz to sort of twist the mesh into the shape of the attractor? With a bit of interpolation that could create a kick rear end animation

toiletbrush fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Mar 9, 2024

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

fart simpson posted:

update: not really... still looks neat though

Nice Blendussy

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
apparently this is a thing that exists in other 3d modellers natively, but it was a new thing for me: using the uv map to retopologize a mesh. this video shows you how you can replicate the functionality in geometry nodes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-O6SjcLPnSo

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
to summarize the logic:
uv unwrap your messy topology
straighten whatever uv island you want to clean
place a clean grid mesh on top of the straightened uv map
use the uv map to reverse map the clean grid to match to original mesh

this only cleanly works on uv islands that can be flattened into a rectangle

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here
I guess there's gonna be a lot less rainbows in here. :stare:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i figured out the math for apollonian gaskets finally in geometry nodes

https://i.imgur.com/s8lUXTH.mp4

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Mar 28, 2024

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

also a nice way to unroll the recursion into a couple bog standard repeat zones

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

BLURRED SWEET STREETLIGHTS SPEEDING PAST, FAST

maxe posted:

my latest blender distraction is remaking simcity2000 tiles

modelling the buildings is all good and fun but i havent quite figured out a technique for the grass/driveway/terrain stuff

got back into it this week, killed a few very enjoyable hours listening to podcasts and plugging away

its fun trying to interpret 4 pixel smudges into fully 3D shapes, and seeing things that make sense at 640x480 kinda dissipate into nonsense when you expand them into higher res.

any hot tips for adding smoke for the chimneys?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

tiny little cubes or spheres maybe? looks super neat btw

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

nice orbs

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
It is done, it is out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilpIO21wm94

Thank you all so much for your help over the years especially Bluemillion, Sagebrush and Echnophsis for the feedback it really has been invaluable

now to leverage my experience for what Blender is truly meant for: shitposting

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Songbearer posted:

It is done, it is out

Thank you all so much for your help over the years especially Bluemillion, Sagebrush and Echnophsis for the feedback it really has been invaluable

My utmost congratulations!
That's a solid ten minutes of animation that you saw all the way to the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Songbearer posted:

It is done, it is out

nice! ive seen bits of it before but it really came together there. sound design was on point too