Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

BLURRED SWEET STREETLIGHTS SPEEDING PAST, FAST
bumping this dead thread to say ive been having a great time importing car model assets from videogames into blender and making them light up and stuff, and i think im gonna make a lamborghini pyramid later tonight

blender rules

thanks blender thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

echinopsis posted:

how exactly are you importing them? as in finding the models from the games?

def post pics plz

source game is Assetto Corsa, for which there is a content management mod called AC Content Manager

AC Content Manager has an unlockable dev function to allow it to export (unpack?) car models to .kn5, which include .fbx files that Blender can import
I think this is the guide I used to figure it out or at least part of it

this was from playing around for a few hours yesterday mixing in .svgs of 2D stuff and trying to understand how lighting and materials work. Its the closest Ive ever come to looking at the Node editor and thinking "yeah that makes sense", pretty exciting!

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

heres what was left after my most recent flurry of blending last year some time

now that this thread has reappeared with such rad new content i gotta get back to it.
ive been thinking about trying to make something that looked like 90s DOS graphics, One Must Fall 2097 being both a primary source of inspiration and principal distraction

id be satisfied with my modelling skills if i could make a decent version of the Jaguar, and thrilled if I could model it ripping a bong or taking me out to dinner

unfortunately deviantart has informed me im the last guy to have this idea

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

if theres a way to learn that isn't "barely keep up with a youtube tutorial like riding a wild bull and your end product is whatever you have when you get thrown off" i havent found it or looked for it

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

im trying to steal this but i cant work out how to make that 'Length' node in the middle?

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

Jenny Agutter posted:

its a vector math node :) shift+a->n->v

thanks! turns out

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

echinopsis posted:

blending with words is a dark slide to hop on

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

echinopsis posted:

In this video I make this from scratch. Is it good? no of course not

please dont mock my accent. or me in general

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svbMpZpG9gg

you'll be pelased doc block to know I edited this in resolve. and by edit I mean made my speaking louder and nothing else

that Clean Up -> Limited Dissolve step is a revelation for me, cheers for that

IF (big if) you're looking for feedback on making more vids in future I would say to make the whole project unrecorded, then once your done, remake it faster from scratch and record that. It will take almost double the amount of work on your end but I can't see any personal disadvantages for me, forums user maxe

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

Neon Noodle posted:

Oh wow, thank you guys! I'm very self-conscious about it because it's personal etc. But I want to make more things in this vein. This took me 3 weeks, but the hand-drawn segments were by far the most time-consuming and fussy, not done as efficiently as they could've been.

that was cool! ive wanted to do a project like this for a long time and I can relate to the self-conscious feeling, so seeing people overcome it to make their own art is as inspiring to me as the art itself

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

i couldnt figure out how to blur the background texture (a 3840x2560 jpg in an 'environment texture' node) to get rid of that pixelation. I had DOF enabled for my camera and a really low F stop and everything but it seemed to make no difference? any suggestions?

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

hell yeah, that worked. I fudged it for a while with manual focus distance and an absurdly low fstop (focusing on the object changed nothing somehow) but this was way more effective

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

i told myself i would not sleep until i made this render transparent and now thank god it is time for bed

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

doing some experiments for a big challenge

the bottles are identical except for the colour of the liquid. Does anyone know why I cant see the label on the rear bottle through the glass of the front? or what setting needs to be cranked up for that to happen?

im trying to recreate a photo i took that has rows and rows of such bottles

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

toiletbrush posted:

is there a way in Blender to use modifiers on groups of objects? I'm trying to create a symmetrical collection of parent-child objects - the 'mirror' modifier almost does it but it only applies the duplication and transform to the parent, not it's children (it also doesn't do rotational symmetry either, which is what I really need)...is there another way to do this?

if i understand what you're trying to do i had the same problems recently.

poo poo-A Add a Collection Instance of your existing collection of objects, parent said Collection Instance to a placeholder object like a default plane, then turn off the instancing of the plane so it basically acts like an empty and apply all your modifiers to the plane.

explained better here;

https://blender.stackexchange.com/questions/2525/array-a-group-of-objects

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

experimenting with a new blender technique i call "finishing what i start"

https://gfycat.com/immediateboilingballpython.mp4

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

my latest blender distraction is remaking simcity2000 tiles

modelling the buildings is all good and fun but i havent quite figured out a technique for the grass/driveway/terrain stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

maxe posted:

my latest blender distraction is remaking simcity2000 tiles

modelling the buildings is all good and fun but i havent quite figured out a technique for the grass/driveway/terrain stuff

got back into it this week, killed a few very enjoyable hours listening to podcasts and plugging away

its fun trying to interpret 4 pixel smudges into fully 3D shapes, and seeing things that make sense at 640x480 kinda dissipate into nonsense when you expand them into higher res.

any hot tips for adding smoke for the chimneys?