Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Welcome goonlings to the Awful Book of the Month!
In this thread, we choose one work of literature absolute crap and read/discuss it over a month. If you have any suggestions of books, choose something that will be appreciated by many people, and has many avenues of discussion. We'd also appreciate if it were a work of literature complete drivel that is easily located from a local library or book shop, as opposed to ordering something second hand off the internet and missing out on a week's worth of reading. Better yet, books available on e-readers.

Resources:

Project Gutenberg - http://www.gutenberg.org

- A database of over 17000 books available online. If you can suggest books from here, that'd be the best.

SparkNotes - http://www.sparknotes.com/

- A very helpful Cliffnotes-esque site, but much better, in my opinion. If you happen to come in late and need to catch-up, you can get great character/chapter/plot summaries here.

:siren: For recommendations on future material, suggestions on how to improve the club, or just a general rant, feel free to PM me. :siren:

Past Books of the Month

[for BOTM before 2016, refer to archives]

2016:
January: Three Men in a Boat (To say nothing of the Dog!) by Jerome K. Jerome
February:The March Up Country (The Anabasis) of Xenophon
March: The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco
April: Plain Tales from the Hills by Rudyard Kipling
May: Temple of the Golden Pavilion by Yukio Mishima
June:The Vegetarian by Han Kang
July:Lud-in-the-Mist by Hope Mirrlees
August: Pale Fire by Vladimir Nabokov
September:Siddhartha by Herman Hesse
October:Right Ho, Jeeves by P.G. Wodehouse
November:Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain
December: It Can't Happen Here by Sinclair Lewis

2017:
January: Mother Night by Kurt Vonnegut
February: The Plague by Albert Camus
March: The Dispossessed by Ursula K. LeGuin
April: The Conference of the Birds (مقامات الطیور) by Farid ud-Din Attar
May: I, Claudius by Robert Graves
June: Salt: A World History by Mark Kurlansky
July: Ficcionies by Jorge Luis Borges
August: My Life and Hard Times by James Thurber
September: The Peregrine by J.A. Baker
October: Blackwater Vol. I: The Flood by Michael McDowell
November: Aquarium by David Vann
December: Sir Gawaine and the Green Knight [Author Unknown]

January: Njal's Saga [Author Unknown]
February: The Sign of the Four by Arthur Conan Doyle
March: Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders
April: Twenty Days of Turin by Giorgio de Maria
May: Lectures on Literature by Vladimir Nabokov
June: The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test by Tom Wolfe
July: Warlock by Oakley Hall
August: All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriott
September: The Magus by John Fowles
October: I'll Be Gone in the Dark by Michelle McNamara
November: Arcadia by Tom Stoppard
December: Christmas Stories by Charles Dickens

2019:
January: Roadside Picnic by Arkady and Boris Strugatsky
February: BEAR by Marian Engel
March: V. by Thomas Pynchon
April: The Doorbell Rang by Rex Stout
May: Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman
June: 1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus by Charles C. Mann

Current: The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach

Book available here:

https://www.amazon.com/Art-Fielding...=gateway&sr=8-1

About the book:

quote:

1At Westish College, a small school on the shore of Lake Michigan, baseball star Henry Skrimshander seems destined for big league stardom. But when a routine throw goes disastrously off course, the fates of five people are upended.

Henry's fight against self-doubt threatens to ruin his future. College president Guert Affenlight, a longtime bachelor, has fallen unexpectedly and helplessly in love. Owen Dunne, Henry's gay roommate and teammate, becomes caught up in a dangerous affair. Mike Schwartz, the Harpooners' team captain and Henry's best friend, realizes he has guided Henry's career at the expense of his own. And Pella Affenlight, Guert's daughter, returns to Westish after escaping an ill-fated marriage, determined to start a new life.

As the season counts down to its climactic final game, these five are forced to confront their deepest hopes, anxieties, and secrets. In the process they forge new bonds, and help one another find their true paths. Written with boundless intelligence and filled with the tenderness of youth, The Art of Fielding is an expansive, warmhearted novel about ambition and its limits, about family and friendship and love, and about commitment--to oneself and to others.

quote:

A great deal of publicity focused on the story of the book's publication, as Harbach worked on the novel, his debut, for ten years, subsequently receiving an advance of more than $650,000 after a bidding war for the publishing rights.[3]

The book was well received, making The New York Times bestseller list and was named one of the ten best books of 2011 from the newspaper. Amazon.com named it one of Best Books for the Month of September 2011 and later named it the Best Book of that year. "The Art of Fielding belongs in the upper echelon of anybody’s league, in this case alongside Bernard Malamud’s The Natural, Scott Lasser’s Battle Creek and W.P. Kinsella’s Shoeless Joe."[4] However, not all press was in praise of the book, with some criticizing its lightness.[5]

Franchescanado posted:

The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach

It's $3 on Kindle right now.

It's about a baseball prodigy who loses his ability to play, and is in danger of losing his scholarship at Westish College, a small school on the shore of Lake Michigan, who's team is named The Harpooners, in honour of Herman Melville. One of the plot-lines involves a man who's lived his entire life as heterosexual coming out for the first time.

So, it's a book all about the artistry of baseball, but doesn't require baseball knowledge, making it fun and appropriate during baseball season. It's literary without being insular. It has LGBQT+ plotlines and themes around Pride month. It's all about exploring talent, creativity, masculinity, depression, and existential dread. It's well-written and gripping.

All-around great book.

blue squares posted:

The Art of Fielding was fantastic! What's my next book?

Franchescanado posted:

I read The Art of Fielding as a wild card (from Mel Mudkiper). It was really good. Dragged in the middle a little bit, but it worked, since every character was hitting their rock bottom. Glad I read it while it was still summer.

taco show posted:

However, I immensely enjoyed reading The Art of Fielding. I think the characters are compelling and the story, while standard, is earnest and timeless and everything that The Sandlot kids idealize about baseball. The prose, to me, is smart and has a gentle humour, which makes sense considering Owen is supposed to be the symbolic narrator. That same passage about swivel chairs? I can actually see my actual Melville professor saying to himself and chuckling. And finally, I think it's somewhat rare to see a book stick the landing this well. It was satisfying and left me with a sense of buoyancy that I haven't felt in a long time. The Art of Fielding was a great way to start this summer.

screenwritersblues posted:

The Art of Fielding has to be one of the better books that I read in a few years. It's not really a book about baseball, it's a book that revolves around baseball.

crunk and white posted:

college is awful, i just read a new book the art of fielding, it is about baseball and friendship and it is resonant and cool, really good & recommended

barkingclam posted:

The Art of Fielding has a petty big gay subplot and it's more than relatively recent.

About the Author(s)

quote:

Chad Harbach (born 1975[1]) is an American writer. An editor at the journal n + 1, he is the author of the 2011 novel The Art of Fielding.

Harbach worked on his novel The Art of Fielding for nine years.[8] The novel, set at Westish College, a small school on the shore of Lake Michigan, tells the story of the gifted young shortstop Henry Skrimshander, whose errant throw upends the lives of five people. In high school, Harbach had played baseball, along with golf and basketball; in March 2010, he told Bloomberg News, "What fascinates me about baseball is that although it's a team game, and a team becomes a kind of family, the players on the field are each very much alone. Your teammates depend on you and support you, but at the moments that count they can't bail you out."[9]

After a heated auction ($665,000),[10] the book was acquired and published by Little, Brown in the fall of 2011. A Vanity Fair e-book describing the writing and publication of the novel was later released. The Art of Fielding was met with extraordinary critical praise. In the New York Times, Michiko Kakutani wrote, "'The Art of Fielding' is not only a wonderful baseball novel—it zooms immediately into the pantheon of classics, alongside "The Natural" by Bernard Malamud and "The Southpaw" by Mark Harris—but it's also a magical, melancholy story about friendship and coming of age that marks the debut of an immensely talented writer."

2011 The Art of Fielding named on New York Times 'Best Books of 2011' list
2011 The Art of Fielding named Amazon's Best Book of the Year
2012 Bottari Lattes Grinzane nominee for The Art of Fielding
2012 Friends of American Writers Book of the Year for The Art of Fielding
2012 The Guardian First Book Award nominee for The Art of Fielding
2012 International IMPAC Dublin Literary Award longlist for The Art of Fielding
2012 Library of Virginia Literary Award nominee for The Art of Fielding
2012 Los Angeles Times Book Prize nominee for Art Seidenbaum Award for First Fiction for The Art of Fielding
2012 Midwest Booksellers Choice Award for The Art of Fielding
2012 PEN/Hemingway Foundation Award nominee for The Art of Fielding
2012 Wisconsin Library Association Literary Award for The Art of Fielding

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chad_Harbach

Themes

Pacing

Read as thou wilt is the whole of the law.

Please post after you read!

Please bookmark the thread to encourage discussion.

References and Further Reading

https://twitter.com/ChuckTingle/status/1056047103053463554

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JPE7UKE/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0162637UU/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

https://www.amazon.com/We-Are-Ship-League-Baseball/dp/150126494X

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moneyball

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Natural

Final Note:

Thanks, and I hope everyone enjoys the book!

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jul 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Idaholy Roller
May 19, 2009
Your further reading links are from 1491, bud.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Idaholy Roller posted:

Your further reading links are from 1491, bud.

Isn't all reading further reading for all other reading?

thanks, fixed

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Got this from the library, I'll likely be starting next week. I'm excited!

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Apparently it's just me. My last book dragged so I just got started. Polished off chapter 9 tonight and I'm really enjoying it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
c'mon folks! Five other people voted for this one!

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
I will add that it's substantially different from the other baseball injury story book I've read, which was Caught Stealing by Charlie Huston. Very different books, despite some baseball.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
And I finished this off last night. It was a good read. It's about friendship and the difficulties of growing up and all of that. It was compulsively readable. It has a tendency towards shorter chapters which always makes me think, "Well, sure, I've got 3 minutes to finish off the next one." It feels very much a summer read. It's sort of intentionally light and does stick pretty close to well established guidelines for works about sport. I felt just a little cheated on one of the storylines. That being said, it's a good, enjoyable book I'll almost certainly wind up recommending.

Despite the length, it reads quick, so anyone who was dithering about it can likely still get in under the bell!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Which storyline do you feel was unsatisfactory by the end?

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Franchescanado posted:

Which storyline do you feel was unsatisfactory by the end?

Ultimately, I felt like Guert never had to deal with his consequences. With everyone else struggling to move on past college or past relationships, he never really does. I thought maybe he'd made a decision there, but he didn't.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Not quite finished with the book yet but it still feels like a lighter, twee-er, less experimental Infinite-Jest-But-About-Baseball to me

Like, I've enjoyed reading it but I don't think the addiction narrative is remotely as fleshed out as IJ, and Henry's near-total inability to talk or express emotion (even as his interiority and thoughts become more and more crushing) feels like Hal Incandenza but without the weed/oedipal problems/personal trauma.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

okay I finished and

digging up affenlight at the end is like definitely an huge infinite jest reference lol. i googled harbach and the man has written too many essays about david foster wallace for that not to be on purpose

overall a good book for sure

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Need suggestions for next month. At the moment I'm leaning towards Treasure Island -- I want something accessible and out of copyright since participation is flagging a bit.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

I just started this! I meant to start this earlier but Neuromancer at the start of the month took me much longer than I thought it would. I just got to the injury of Owen which i am sure is the basis for everything else.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Just finished this and I’ll echo the others in saying that it was a light and engaging summer read. For whatever reason my mind set this book at faber college and it was funny to imagine bluto and the rest of the gang running around in the background. Anyway, to me the ending was the books greatest weakness, as you see most of the characters simply settling for whatever path was directly in front of them and the previous drama all for naught. Hell even the biggest nail biter (affenlight) gets the biggest cop out ever and is totally unsatisfying. Henry’s ending too was anticlimactic, but I won’t spoil it for anyone still reading.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Ben Nevis posted:

Ultimately, I felt like Guert never had to deal with his consequences. With everyone else struggling to move on past college or past relationships, he never really does. I thought maybe he'd made a decision there, but he didn't.

Yeah that and Henry seeming so hollow? to me were my only real negatives. Enjoyable book otherwise I think, so much so that the guy who does the interlibrary loans at my work library (community college) is gonna read it since for some reason despite getting it first week of July they were gonna let me have it until the end of October??

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Karl Sharks posted:

Yeah that and Henry seeming so hollow? to me were my only real negatives. Enjoyable book otherwise I think, so much so that the guy who does the interlibrary loans at my work library (community college) is gonna read it since for some reason despite getting it first week of July they were gonna let me have it until the end of October??

ILL is a crazy beast. From what my librarians tell me, it's up to the library that loans it when it's due back. I've gotten books with 10 days and I have one now that's due back in September. They say the colleges are the most generous where the big city library is the least.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/alloy_dr/status/1154400545362329600

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Ben Nevis posted:

ILL is a crazy beast. From what my librarians tell me, it's up to the library that loans it when it's due back. I've gotten books with 10 days and I have one now that's due back in September. They say the colleges are the most generous where the big city library is the least.

Yeah I've noticed that, since I tend to have like 2/3 books through that. It was just the longest I've seen so far I think.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
I reread this one for the first time since... maybe 2013-2014? I loved it back when I first read it, and second time through it was just as good.

One thing that struck me like a baseball to the head was that even though Owen was as integral to the plot as the other 4 characters, we never get anything from his point of view - it was all Schwartz, Pella, Henry, and Guert. The only times we get any insight from him were when he chastised Affenlight for the secrecy/repetitiveness of their trysts, and when he spoke at Guert's grave before they dug him up. All we really got about his and Affenlight's relationship were those two moments; from that we only get A's very insecure take on their relationship. Only at the end of the book do we see that it was an equally deep affection on Owen's side as well.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Chamberk posted:

I reread this one for the first time since... maybe 2013-2014? I loved it back when I first read it, and second time through it was just as good.

One thing that struck me like a baseball to the head was that even though Owen was as integral to the plot as the other 4 characters, we never get anything from his point of view - it was all Schwartz, Pella, Henry, and Guert. The only times we get any insight from him were when he chastised Affenlight for the secrecy/repetitiveness of their trysts, and when he spoke at Guert's grave before they dug him up. All we really got about his and Affenlight's relationship were those two moments; from that we only get A's very insecure take on their relationship. Only at the end of the book do we see that it was an equally deep affection on Owen's side as well.

yeah I can understand the narrative decision to make Owen somewhat unknowable to the reader because it puts us in the shoes of Affenlight, and so many of their interactions are based on Affenlight's ignorance and projection (and how he imagines Owen wants him to act). but i did not like that owen felt like a Magical Gay Plot Device at times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Yeah, I think some of that was deliberate. They bill Owen as Buddha so he has to be inscrutable.