Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

From what I remember it did turn out the book was written yesterday; it was the early draft of the book Arudak was writing that the Ink Witch stole. But it was 200 years from when Dominic disappeared as an old man so it's a few more decades on from the end of Deegan Classic.

Where my memory gets fuzzy is what changes to magic were due to what Dominic did at the end of the original comic and whatever bullshit he and his students did later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

also reading this again, a+

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Trapezium Dave posted:

From what I remember it did turn out the book was written yesterday; it was the early draft of the book Arudak was writing that the Ink Witch stole. But it was 200 years from when Dominic disappeared as an old man so it's a few more decades on from the end of Deegan Classic.

Where my memory gets fuzzy is what changes to magic were due to what Dominic did at the end of the original comic and whatever bullshit he and his students did later.

Jacob was the one writing the book that Arudak took the first pages of. He walked off and finished writing and publishing it off-screen after Team Snout woke up. Snout got a copy of the final book in the epilogue.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Schubalts posted:

Jacob was the one writing the book that Arudak took the first pages of. He walked off and finished writing and publishing it off-screen after Team Snout woke up. Snout got a copy of the final book in the epilogue.

So you're telling me that the book was actually written tomorrow?

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
No, Jacob obviously published it on the 200th anniversary of Dominic going to Asininetown.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Speaking of Jacob,

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Hey I know that guy

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Finally a name.

I guess we're going to keep revealing the new magic in Legacy when it's always "lol no-one knows anything".

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
Jacob is referring to himself by name to someone who already knows him. Despite his numerous distinctive physical characteristics including skeleton arm wreathed in blight, sweet mullet, and flayed off lower half of his face, Mookie has made the confusing decision to obscure all of these. Thus there is no way we could actually recognize this to be Jacob without being told. Rather than realize there's a problem, this is Mookie's solution.

I wonder if all the alterations have been undone because Dominic made magic "gentler" to nerf necromancy after all.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Jacob's new look is the best part of Legacy because my brain immediately starts playing the Mortal Kombat theme.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I lost track of the comic. I assume that dwarven society collapsed after the law was passed and black hair lady is the only survivor?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

RandomPauI posted:

I lost track of the comic. I assume that dwarven society collapsed after the law was passed and black hair lady is the only survivor?

No, there was some chaos, then 3 Resistance Leaders in their concealing outfits met and talked about it and TO BE CONTINUED and this is an unrelated story.

EDIT: The chaos wasn't caused by the law either, it was caused by Main Character Dwarf Lady casting illusions to make a total of Four People get mad at each other.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Worse! Rebel used her magic knife to prank people into seeing their popular friends as uggos, which caused a civil war. She can do this because Dominic told her that magic now wants to be used for good. Feminist Ally dwarf is currently crying at his mirror image telling him he's not a good enough ally. Then the dwarf rebellion leaders debated if Rebel was a Deegan as Mookie hit the page count limit and a giant "to be continued" sign floated from the sky.

New lady who finally got a name now had a chat with a ghost who was sad because nobody went on walkies with him, so she went on a walk with him. Also it has been 200 years since people last played Slaughterball.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Cloacamazing! posted:

Worse! Rebel used her magic knife to prank people into seeing their popular friends as uggos, which caused a civil war.
Yes, and she did this twice. She cast two illusions making a total of four people mad at each other (in pairs).

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Three times. She caused someone to experience self loathing psychosis

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Oh wait right the Good Boy on the council I forgot. That presumably did not contribute to the civil war, though.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen
Mookie I don't know if anyone's told you this before but it's okay to have a story where the main character isn't directly connected to a Deegan. We'll still understand that it's the Legacy of Dominic Deegan because of the name and because it's set in the same world. They don't all have to be Deegan-adjacent.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Three times. She caused someone to experience self loathing psychosis

That was all of us actually.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Zereth posted:

Yes, and she did this twice. She cast two illusions making a total of four people mad at each other (in pairs).

That's as many as four people. And that's terrible.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Softface posted:

Mookie I don't know if anyone's told you this before but it's okay to have a story where the main character isn't directly connected to a Deegan. We'll still understand that it's the Legacy of Dominic Deegan because of the name and because it's set in the same world. They don't all have to be Deegan-adjacent.

Mookie subscribes to the Ken Follett school of sequels. "Okay so this main character is a descendant of this character, the other from that and the third one from that, but how do we handle the monk? Ah, of course, he's the spiritual successor!"

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Jacob has to be traced from something because he looks like he was drawn by a competent artist

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Cloacamazing! posted:

Mookie subscribes to the Ken Follett school of sequels. "Okay so this main character is a descendant of this character, the other from that and the third one from that, but how do we handle the monk? Ah, of course, he's the spiritual successor!"

One could be mean and call it the Piers Anthony school of sequels

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Unless this is Jacob, son of Jacob or something, then Mookie subscribes to the Mookie school of sequels, where it's just literally the same dude ~*200 years later*~.

Same in Snoutquest. It wasn't the descendants or inheritors or whatever of Dominic. The legacy of Dominic Deegan was literally identically Dominic Deegan.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

Yeah true, he did forestall that by making Luna infertile

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Mx. posted:

Speaking of Jacob,

Ironically by trying to make Jacob a more empathetic character he removed the one trait that endeared the rest of us to him: being an rear end in a top hat to characters we hate.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
That's two comics where the twist has been that a character was a Deegan. And both times we assumed that was the case from the start anyway.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'll choose to think that the ancestral Deegan was like Ghengis Khan. And that there's a cooler story we don't have access to.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I completely forgot that the spirit has to "inhabit" her. That was kind of nothing eh, he just bobbed along with her walking?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

No backgrounds, I see. Unless basic, grainy halos count.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Mx. posted:

One could be mean and call it the Piers Anthony school of sequels

For all his faults, Mookie has never fixated on small children's underwear, or written a story where Basically Humbert Humbert has his day in court and wins because Lolita shows the jury how she really loved him all along

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

SubG posted:

Unless this is Jacob, son of Jacob or something, then Mookie subscribes to the Mookie school of sequels, where it's just literally the same dude ~*200 years later*~.

Same in Snoutquest. It wasn't the descendants or inheritors or whatever of Dominic. The legacy of Dominic Deegan was literally identically Dominic Deegan.

It's literally Jacob Deegan. He's the greatest "living" necromancer and can not die unless someone directly kills him or he turns off his own zombie juice. Same way Rillian was alive for like a million years before he was permanently killed.

The only one of these stories that wasn't directly linked to Dominic was Makena's Racist Jazz Time.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Schubalts posted:

The only one of these stories that wasn't directly linked to Dominic was Makena's Racist Jazz Time.
I was fully expecting the reveal that the crystal ball found in the garbage dump was Dominic's instead of it being merely heavily implied.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The Sax Jazz Mongrel sprung fully formed from Dominic's brow 100 years ago.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

We already know Jacob Yes That One From The Original Comic is still... I'm not sure "alive" is the right word, but around and kicking, form Snout's bullshit, why would people be theorizing that this is a descendant or inheritor?

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Trapezium Dave posted:

Jacob's new look is the best part of Legacy because my brain immediately starts playing the Mortal Kombat theme.

I hate it because nuJacob's design looks exactly like that necromancer rear end in a top hat who always broke the 4th wall from that terrible WoW webcomic by Ryan Sohmer.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Eating your own corpse after you respawn is vegan.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

SubG posted:

Snoutquest.

It's like Brodyquest but with no music and no backgrounds.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Imagine someone who has never read Dominic Deegan picking this up at a con and seeing the Jacob reveal. Why would it be shocking in any way? They don't know who that is.

Hell, imagine someone who read Snout's story already and knows what Jacob looks like seeing this "reveal". Oh wait, THAT'S US

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Schubalts posted:

Eating your own corpse after you respawn is vegan.

It's also vegan, because it's me, and I give myself permission to eat me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Imagine someone who has never read Dominic Deegan picking this up at a con and seeing the Jacob reveal. Why would it be shocking in any way? They don't know who that is.

Hell, imagine someone who read Snout's story already and knows what Jacob looks like seeing this "reveal". Oh wait, THAT'S US
There might be some shock from the feeling that a page or two is missing due to there being absolutely no transition from the previous page to this one. It reads like Jacob was just waiting there off panel.

The whole "sensitive soul" with a "big heart" is just a cliche served up on automatic too. The sort of person who would sign up for the job of Spirit Shepherd, counsellor to the dead is probably going to be someone with a bunch of empathy. It's like making a big deal about a veterinarian with a love for animals.