Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I just discovered this thread and the fact that there was more Deegan content at all, and I've caught up in the space of three days. The alternate void and madness of Legacy. The unpacking of Star Power. The review of Classic Deegan. Goddamn.

Justice for Beena.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
The way Snout is respected by everybody and falls backwards over the main plot purely by virtue of having a Good Heart and a Sense of Justice feels very bad JRPG.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Mookie has no theory of mind and this has been a thing that was apparent since the old comic. Whenever the audience or one character learns a piece of information, that piece of information immediately becomes universal knowledge to all characters in the comic. There are like a handful of exceptions but by and large it's literally a universal truth to the comics. Like Mookie honestly seems to lack a theory of mind.

It's not just what's known, it's also what's important. It's like how everyone was going on about the football guy and the stripper all through the Storm of Souls.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I'm going to hate this but what's the Elf War thing referring to?

Also extremely cool writing your entire saga around the value of "kindness" and choosing a disabled character to make your paragon of the magical doormat.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Oh, I read Star Power in the thread but I forgot it was those elves. loving lol.

Honestly I think this might be worse. The Elf War was misguided, but it was earnestly political and we're engaging it on those terms. What's happening to Snout is purely masturbatory.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I didn't think this could get any more wanking. Should have had more faith.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
They're perfect for each other because they're both stunted children. :barf:

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Snout is curious and brave, which is why every time he's presented with any information at all he has to take a walk and sulk.

He doesn't even seek anything out, someone competent always has to dedicate themselves to leading him through the plot by the hand. The only time he was on his own for any length of time was finding vine lady and he just tripped over that entire stupid arc.

I guess there was the time he was walking to Mongreltown but that was one montage and then Inky came back for him.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 16:45 on May 26, 2021

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
https://twitter.com/BradStone/status/1397551413471760389

See? Mookie does have "diverse worldbuilding"!

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
This strip is increasingly, monumentally awful plot points separated by months of white noise. Just sit tight.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Probably but they're not as good skilled talented and gifted at it.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
That's the basic issue, isn't it? Not whether or not Snout was wronged, but the way that his feelings are the prime consideration of everyone else in the room, whether to comfort him or to go out of their way to insult him. The bad wizard wrote an entire essay that is nominally just being inconsiderate and callous towards him, rather than being specifically targeted to hurt his feelings, but as the thread asked, why is he writing about a random mongrelfolk to begin with? His report was supposed to be about the vine lady but there's a whole page of it dedicated to the guy who brought her in. Not just his relationship to her and her creation, but judging him specifically. Just so that everyone else can drop everything to judge him for it.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

TheHan posted:

Yeah the legacy may be bogged down by weeks upon weeks of go nowhere pages but when it hits it loving hits. After telling us over and over again how Snout’s virtue is his compassion Snout completely ignores what his corpsemomwife is going through to go feel sorry for himself. And they’re still ignoring her! All anyone cares about now is taking Snout to the library, we don’t even know corpsemomwife’s name. The unstoppable honesty of Dominic Deegan characters is one of my favorite things about it.

Sure they’ll act all holier than thou to the villains, but then Mookie will slip in a scene where Dominic calls himself an orc nerd. Like they’re toys to him and not a race of people. Or he’ll have Luna make lovely jokes about Melna’s trauma. He just can’t help but show us how these characters really feel and it’s amazing to watch play out.

It's easy to be polite when you know you're the main character so you'll always get your way.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
This library run by orcs for a city of orcs sure has a lot of books about orcs in English.

I'm not saying it can't have any, but I don't remember if it's a border town or the library itself caters to Callanian visitors.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Twelve by Pies posted:

Snout did have obstacles and conflict that he overcame way back in the beginning. Like, he had to figure out how to get resin from that living tree that flipped him off, which required him to make a plan and execute it. He did get help from the Ink Witch (disguised as the pagefinder spell at the time) but he still came up with the plan himself, she didn't just go "I'll take care of it Snout, don't worry."

As soon as she became his traveling companion, that's when he stopped needing to put forth any amount of effort because mommy did everything for him.

That was also when the comic cared about being wordless. It made some sort of effort at visual composition, expressive actions, and sight gags.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
The name chat is pushing it. Snout's writing their first names because Prento only wrote their first names because they're his friends. Snout does not know their full names.

It's still bad writing but the thread is drastically overthinking it. We don't need to invent reasons it's a bad story.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
People just get bigger and smaller in ~mindscapes~. Dominic had a whole thing where he flexed his super wizard brain on people by turning into a giant, and there was the giant fire Greg thing.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
The "mommy" meme seems increasingly out of place since she's mainly just been consistently infantilized. Ink Witch is the mom in this comic.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Luna's right, Dominic not being patient with her mental/emotional problems is not remotely the same thing as what he does to her and other people all the time including literally in that very argument.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
As someone who grew up with an ethnic name and knows a lot of other people who same, this feels grossly exotifying, especially on top of how gross Kaianda's situation is as it stands.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
No dialogue!

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Mookie knows they're both good guys now so etc.

Even in Deegan he cannot conceive of someone who disagrees with you for reasons that make sense to them.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
The second book is going to be named "Kindness." In it, someone gets healed of mental illness by his mere presence, and then he sulks because her doctor was kind of rude to him, and later he's present while another of his friends is grieving.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

TheHan posted:

The fact that there are 3 other characters on board that Snout could be talking to, learning more about, deepening these shallow bonds...and instead Mookie has Snout sitting in the corner writing about how he's bored. Why even make this comic.

They're all doing important and interesting things that we'll find out about later in the most boring way possible after Snout's done moping that they don't involve him.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Joe Slowboat posted:

On my second look, the postures of Ink Witch and Arudak are just hilariously flat. Like they're just standing there, and with the face-shading they look exaggeratedly embarrassed in an anime sort of way, so the whole effect is like Snout and Corpsedaughterwife are gearing up to act while the other two are just completely unmoved. Also none of them are being in any way moved or touched by the waves that must exist in a lake this big, that we literally saw earlier, and this new... antagonist? is wearing an ink skirt etc. so there's a nonzero chance this is somehow the Redactress or whatever. It's unclear!

I thought it might be the Redactress but I checked and she's blonde, so probably it's a third Ink Witch who they'll let Snout name and he'll come up with the dumbest one yet.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Snout (kind, curious) looks on dumbly while Ink Witch goes to comfort Arudak in the wake of a traumatic personal revelation.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Hang on, is the idea that Snout is now mad on behalf of his friends at someone being mean to them and telling them harsh truths(?) because they were mad earlier at someone who was mean to him by telling him harsh truths?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Breetai posted:

Our special boy just became a man.

This is the thing and I hate it.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Midnight Voyager posted:

...so it REALLY WASN'T AN EDIT?????????

I cannot wrap my head around this.

It's SO inappropriate and disconnected from anything that was ever happening at any point, it's incinerated the last particles of ability to take it seriously as a narrative...

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
So here's the other thing about this as a moment of reckoning for Snout:

So far, the framing has been consistent that Snout's character flaw is his ability, not his character. "Your kindness more than your learning" and all of that. As far as Mookie is concerned, Snout's intentions have been pure and altruistic every step of the way - through the Long Flight, through the fishing, through Arudak's research tower - and the thing standing in his way has been his own lack of confidence and competence.

After all of that, the idea that this is where Snout and the comic are suddenly self-aware about Snout neglecting his duty to his friends to focus on his own needs? I think that's where a lot of the whiplash is coming from. It's not consistent with his intended or actual characterization up to this point.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
MY FRIENDS <3

This is gross.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
She just showed him a box and he shoved his face in it. Did she buy the whole box? Was she offering him just one? Was she going to share the rest of the box with the party?

Snout's hedonism consistently overrides his kindness and loyalty, between this and the chandak sex, and I wish I could believe this was setting up anything.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
No dialogue.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Beelzebufo posted:

I am going to resume my readthroughts, apologies work has been crazy since the start of the year. Having just caught up on this thread. Lol. Jesus Christ. How does Mookie manage to at once be the most boring writer ever, and fall into these situations where his protagonists have the most repulsive motivations possible.

Because the two things are linked. He tries to address Hard Topics, but his protagonist is too much of a Nice Guy to abide conflict or be comfortable with anger, so the whole thing ends up being pathologically conciliatory while he forgets/chickens out on actually addressing the grievance.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
"talk of centuries-old crimes [...] appealed to my wounded pride"

Doubling and tripling down on the whole "racism is over and if you're still complaining about it you're the problem" line.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
In a story that was all around better and/or more charming, Kaianda just enjoying new experiences and sensations in the background while the plot carries on would be sweet. But in Legacy, it just fucks more with the pacing and produces more chances for Snout to be insufferable.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Why bother, just call her "the Chandak" and act like it's a meaningful decision.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
It's not even writing anymore, it's just normal internal narration but a monologue isn't technically dialogue.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
The evolution of Legacy:
- actual adventure/fantasy mystery
- ????
- endless softboy nice guy wish fulfillment
- wheel spinning
- wait! I can make a character that is both fantasy exposition dispenser and sexual wish fulfillment! Mookie, you're a genius!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Speaking of which it's really weird how Mookie/Snout is cycling through female characters and each one only makes it more obvious how they're all supporting characters while Snout and Arudak are the "heroes" (Snout for the viewpoint wish fulfillment, Arudak for the attempt at actual conflict and internality).

And yes, this was the case in DD Classic too (c.f. Stunt and the nun, Milov, anything Pam ever does). He can't ever stop himself from which characters' pathos he centers. God help us all, Luna was him trying the hardest.

Like, Deegan usually introduced major female characters with the man about whom she'd provide exposition and/or conflict and ultimately validate, right? Pam and Greg, Snowsong and Greg Mk.II, Jayden and Milov, Melna and Stonewater, hell, even the main couple themselves. Legacy feels weirder because it's introducing them relatively fast and often and they're all about Snout.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Mar 25, 2022