Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I loved X-Men Legends 1 and 2 so much back on the Gamecube, and I enjoyed MUA. MUA2 was so generically unenjoyable that I don't think I played it for more than 2 hours after buying it at launch. I initially had no interest in this game until I saw the Treehouse stuff on their E3 broadcast and actually started looking into what they were doing with this, and now I'm cautiously optimistic about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

DLC Inc posted:

I think I've fought Kingpin like 8 loving times lol. I legit can not beat this rear end in a top hat.

edit: I think I'm either underleveled or being on Mighty difficulty is not a good idea at all. I have a team of mostly level 10s and when I tried the doc ock infinity trial I was doing like 10 damage per hit and got wiped the gently caress out. Somehow I think the difficulty is just loving whack because I assumed "lvl 10" meant I would be on par but now Iheard people are on like lvl 20 to beat that one. So I'm assuming the reason I get loving destroyed by Kingpin with my lvl 10 guys is the Mighty difficulty? Because I really have no idea why I can barely make a dent while getting one-shotted by things.

double edit: nvm just used an experience orb each to get my team all to level 11, and then beat Kingpin without any issues. jesus this game's balancing is either weird or the gains from leveling are way more than I thought.

If it's the Doc Ock Trial I'm thinking of, that one is labeled as Synergy Trial and the only way to do any meaningful damage is with Synergy attacks (aka the combining special moves thing using the attack traits in that chart up the last page).

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Thoughts on the game after playing a bunch of co-op this weekend:

- The camera is seriously godawful. We had times where it would get glued staring at the floor of a corner while none of us nor the boss were visible. We also had one boss fight where the camera glitched outside of the building completely and we had to fight entirely using the minimap. I hope they fix this somehow but I'm not holding my breath.

- The game throws a ton of characters at you real fast but if you switch around and try to level them evenly while playing story you will quickly end up in a situation where you're constantly 10+ levels under the recommended level for a chapter. We stuck with this until we got most of the cast to 20, used XP cubes to get the rest to 20, then started focusing our resources on a set team of 4.

- Most Synergy Attack bonuses seem to just be damage boosts, at least according to the tips section. The only two that list other effects are the Slam+Slam one (ground stumble) and the Launch+Launch one (which... launches enemies). Maybe some of the other ones make it easier to inflict the elemental statuses or something? It'd be nice if there were more diversity there, though.

- Characters who can take advantage of the Synergy Attack system solo are really nice to have around. I spent a lot of time shooting out tornadoes with Star Lord or Crystal and then using one of their other elemental abilities to trigger the Synergy instead of relying on tight timing with teammates. Speaking of...

- The timing on some Synergy Attacks is suuuper tight. I know the A button prompt is supposed to help with this but there are some attacks that seem to give less than a second to see and react to that prompt or the colored arrow line that appears.

- I didn't know anything about her before this but Ms. Marvel is super cool. It does help quite a bit that her 3rd special is an insane stagger gauge destroyer and her second special shreds life bars on stunned enemies when mashed.

Despite our issues with the camera and with some awkward menu stuff in Hero Select (having to back out with B to ready up tripped us up for a bit), we had a lot of fun both as a full team of 4 and also as 2 or 3 human players and AI over the course of the weekend.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

katkillad2 posted:

Finished the game last night, mixed feelings. It was fun/ok, but there's so much potential for this universe in a video game and it just never lives up to what are probably unrealistic expectations.

Does anyone have any strats on character optimization? Even after finishing the game I don't really know what crystals to use. I mean I'm sure + damage and + ability damage are great, but I don't know for example how +4% damage compares to 500 strength. Or what Mastery even does.

There is an infinity trial that's annoying the hell out of me. The one where you refight the Sentinel boss and they want you to do 150k in synergy damage. There's another infinity trial where it asks you to do like 500k synergy damage and I got that easily with my current team, but it's not counting for the 150k trial. Anyone else beat that trial objective?

Either I'm bad at the game or this is a pro tip. Going into a trial that is your current level seems like a bad idea.

Definitely check out the Tips menu in the System menu because the game will not explain to you a lot of things that are in there, including what the 6 base stats actually are. The simple version, though, is that VIT and Energy are 1-to-1 with HP and EP, Strength affects physical damage which is anything with a Melee fist icon, Gun projectile icon, or Piercing sword icon. Mastery affects Ethereal and whatever the last damage type is (Energy?) which are the other two icons, one kinda looks like an atom or something and the other is a wave I think? Durability is physical defense and Resilience is mastery defense.

For that trial you're talking about, we couldn't get that one either. I assume the best thing to try would be to stun it with the bombs and then do some synergies involving tornadoes and electricity, but maybe there's a better plan out there.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

RatHat posted:

They mean that they want to know the exact formulas for the stats. Like how much Strength=1% more damage?

Oh, gotcha. You can actually figure that out pretty easily because your characters' 6 stats are displayed numerically on the Hero Info page in the Team menu (the one where the stat hexagon is on the right and their abilities are on the left). You could very easily try an ISO, check for the orange + number under that stat which represents the bonuses to that stat from equipment and team synergies, then switch to a different ISO and see if it goes up/down. That;s what we did, anyway.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Wanderer posted:

So what would you do about team composition in MUA3? One brick (Thor, Hulk, Cage, etc.), one long-range caster, one melee damage dealer, and one wildcard spot?

I'm a little irritated that you never really seem to get a high-level brick as you go the way you do with every other big group role. My Luke Cage has ended up higher-level than everyone else because I stuck with him through Shadowland and Dark Dimension, which means he's still lagging behind characters I just picked up.

I try to have 2+ Slams and 2+ Launches spread out among the group since Slam+Slam and Launch+Launch are both huge crowd control, then 2+ solid Charge specials for taking out the Stagger gauge and 1+ Barrage specials to mash out damage on a stunned enemy. Finally, someone who can provide elemental support like Star Lord or Crystal is cool, especially those two as they can pull off Synergy attacks solo.

The team we started using once we stopped switching through all the characters to get them to level 20 is Captain Marvel (Charge, Launch), Ms. Marvel (Slam, Barrage, Charge, and her fourth special is good for AoE as well), Spider-Gwen (Slam, some webbing potential), and Crystal (Whirlwind, Fire and Ice, and a Launch).

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

RatHat posted:

I’ve seen videos where Hulk throws enemies but I’m not sure how you do that.

It's his fourth special but he can only actually grab staggerless mooks from what I've seen.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Just to clarify, even if Hulk doesn't grab a dude, he still slams the ground hard and does considerable Stagger Gauge damage either way, but it is still somewhat underwhelming.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

You use his Absolute Defense blocking skill in a Synergy attack with an ally's beam or bullets and decimate an entire room by reflecting beams all over the place.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

It's crashed for me 2-3 times in what I would guess to be 60+ playing hours.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Here's some thoughts on Colossus and Cyclops: Colossus is really strong as long as there are trash mobs around, but since two of his skills are greatly buffed by being able to grab enemies, he seems to suffer in any encounter without those. His heavy attack is really slow.

Cyclops is more fun than he has any right to be. He's fast and he has a good spread of abilities. His fourth special, the Ricochet Beam, might actually be his best one despite not having a Synergy attribute. His first special, Optic Blast, uses so little energy that he can do the Synergy thing with Captain America and bounce the beam off his defensive special for a very, very long time.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Folt The Bolt posted:

Phoenix is support. Her Extreme Attack can revive downed teammates and puts a self-buff on her that revives her when she gets downed, and she gets a field that deals DoT and absorbs said damage as EP for herself and her teammates. These two things are the main reason to use her since her other abilities are unimpressive and I have heard she's extremely squishy without good damage resist ISOs. At least she can stagger well if you need a staggerer on your team since she packs the traditional attack for that (a charge attack).

I started playing this for the first time since before the first DLC pack because I like Gambit and Phoenix, and that EP generating field is incredible. Grinding with Ms. Marvel's spin-to-win kick is no longer dependent on blue orb drop luck. Don't sleep on Phoenix's damage potential, though. Her charge kinda sucks because of the long startup and end lag, but her centralized burst is pretty fast and decently strong when not charged and her third special is fast and covers a huge conical spread in front of her.

I've almost got Phoenix, Ms. Marvel, Captain America, and Rocket/Groot to 200 now, and after that I'll pick one or two more people who will synergize better with the group, train them to 200, and then hopefully steamroll some Danger Room stuff for costumes.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

I started tackling X-Men Gauntlets to get the new DLC characters' alt colors, and my team of Phoenix, Ms. Marvel, Magneto, and Cyclops ran into a brick wall on the level 160 one. I looked up a video of someone completing the level 180 gauntlet and saw Colossus doing work, so I quickly ground him and Wasp (she has amazing synergy with Ms. Marvel's spin-to-win kick and is pretty good besides that) up to 200. Turns out Colossus is basically amazing and him being a big ball of survivability let me clear the level 160 gauntlet and then first try the level 180 gauntlet for the red Phoenix color.

Now I get to do that Danger Room nonsense a bunch for those new alt costumes.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

They're doing daily reveals so there should be another set of costumes revealed this evening, too. And yeah, those costumes are all pretty great besides maybe Falcon's being boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

https://twitter.com/MarvelGames/status/1241833118975156225?s=20