Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

my money is on loki and thanos as unlockable characters, and hopefully there are more trials available than the amount we've been shown on menus, cause that would give me the impression everyone is only going to have one alternate costume.

unless you can unlock costumes through methods other than trials. oh well. i am gonna play with my comic book action figures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Kingtheninja posted:

Do characters have unlockable skins to switch between like previous entries?

so far, it seems to be the case that every character only has one alt skin and it is just a palette swap. entirely possible there is more people haven't unlocked yet, but personally i doubt it.)

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Kris xK posted:

I think it was mentioned by some Devs that the Infinity Rifts (?) have some great gear, including new costumes. I don't think the amount of costumes will be as extensive as previous games, but they'd be idiots not to at least have one or two new costumes hidden somewhere.

gonna keep using spoilers cause people are weirdos the costumes i'm talking about come from trials. again, only going by people who have had the game for a day or two, but no one has seen more than one extra costume per character, and it was always just a palette swap. i genuinely think that is all there is available in the base game, which is a step down even from mua2.

psure all actual effort costumes are going to be post-launch dlc, likely paid.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Darkmoon2k posted:

I slapped this together in mspaint.

i love you.

i am also loving the game, my only real issue is the lack of ai controls in a game where using synergy abilities is so important. wish i could just tell them not to ever use skills unless i say so. positioning is another issue, but i can work with that more. these are also only really issues in single player where you have to control everyone.

the hardest enemy in the game so far was the aim snipers in wakanda. not even a boss, just some snipers that 2hit your characters if you get in their los. wiped more there than i had yet, was raging.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

ihatepants posted:

Which color hex is this on?
primarily vitality, but there will be some nodes in the strength and mastery trees. i bee-lined to these first thing and don't regret it. healing in this game is super hard to come by, so it is a big deal getting your lifegain from extreme attacks up to at least 10%.

once you have these, you can build around generating as much extreme gauge as possible to keep yourself healed.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

you don't really need to exclusively use heavy to cause staggers. the final hit of everyone's light combo does much more damage to the stagger bar. i prefer just using lights and a combo ender so i can cancel into dodge or an ability easier if necessary. you can cancel both the light attacks and heavy attacks into special abilities, but lights will have more gaps to do so.

always spend the ep for synergies to stun staggered enemies though, is the primary method of dealing damage.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

very mad that the game for children is too hard

cams
Mar 28, 2003

jeffLebowski posted:

i didnt say hard. i said annoying. not fun. try reading.
ok my bad, i will be helpful instead.

if you do not get hit by the guys, the guys do not knock you back. have you tried not getting hit by the guys? i recommend dodging.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

it's also not a game built for infinite replay value, at least at the moment. you beat the game 3 times (beating it the first two times each unlocks a harder difficulty and rift), do all the trials, and thassit. apparently some people are farming "endgame" iso's to do speedruns of the hardest trial in the game, but that's as far as it goes.

i enjoyed the game enough that i have done 6 runs of the story, but i'm a crazy person. it is possible we get more pure "endgame" down the line, since people have mentioned that team ninja did a decent job giving people more to do with hyrule warriors, but i am not holding out hope. the paid character packs will almost certainly come with additional story chapters and probably a trial tier (since the character's we've seen point to the same structure as existing story chapters, a few unlockable characters and an unlockable "boss" character.) as much as i would love some sort of endless dungeon trial, it is unlikely. people have said team ninja did a good job of supporting hyrule warriors in the "post-game stuff" area, but we'll see.

but yeah if you don't enjoy playing the game i strongly recommend not playing it and possibly playing something else.

cams fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Aug 14, 2019

cams
Mar 28, 2003

tips for winning this game

1) use the invuln frames on your dodge. you can dodge attacks that fill up the full screen if you time your dodge properly, including strange's spinny beam deal.

2) when playing without other people, the characters you are not currently playing as take much less damage than your character. use this intelligently to switch between characters and keep them alive. also, sometimes it is better to let ai people revive dead characters, especially since enemies tend to focus attack the player character.

3) go back in time and put all your advancement points into the "extreme attack damage heals" nodes found in the vitality and neighboring trees. healing is super hard to come by in this game and having your extreme attacks also say "fully heals this character" is suuuuper handy.

note: even though healing is super hard to come by, scarlet witch and doctor strange's heals loving suck and are not worth using.

obviously if you wanted to you could just grind rush trials to level up your characters and make encounters easier, but it is really not necessary. the game has a very high skillcap and you can out-skill the game if you're underleveled.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

THE HULK SHOULD NOT GET KNOCKED BACK BY ENEMIES IN THIS VIDEO GAME I WAS TRICKED INTO BUYING WHY IS NO ONE LISTENING TO ME I AM BEING PERSECUTED

cams
Mar 28, 2003

very pleased to see we're going to get more content beyond just story chapters, and that they are expanding on content that encourages co-op. in the base game the iso system lends to a ton of depth, but really nothing to do with your super specialized characters once you have em.

even if we don't get any additional content with the free character packs, 3 sets of dlc each with endgame content should be good. maybe it'll be successful enough for a second season, but i am less confident in that.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

hrm, still no info on how we'll unlock these or the new characters. really hoping for a rift, so if they just give them out for free i'll be sad. don't wanna wait a month for new stuff to do.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

glad to see we got a rift with the content, sad to see there wasn't any character balance stuff. i want doctor strange and scarlett witch not to suck.

hopefully we continue to get free packs in the months between paid dlc releases

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Guilty posted:

All in all a good patch with new content, although I doubt it's enough to revive the game much unless people were super psyched about these B-level characters and Punisher. The game still suffers from it's largest problem however, ISO-8 management. A huge problem area that kind of destroys the fun of the game.
given that iso stuff is the only real "loot" system in the game, just letting you delete more than 10 at a time would go a long way for quality of life.

level cap going up, new characters (hadn't messed with cyke or colossus yet) and an infinite survival mode are enough to give me tons of new gameplay hours, but lack of any new story content, and thus new enemies/maps to play on, are a real bummer.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

as this is likely the last dlc we see for the game, i am disappointed we never got some quality of life changes to iso-8 management, was by far my biggest complaint about the game. it gets easier once you know what is garbage (most of it) but is still a hassle for long play sessions.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

for the hex grid, go for things that heal you first. the most easily available is going to be, i believe, heal on ultimate. your ultimates do shittons of damage, so once you get enough of those nodes, your ultimates should double as full heals. i think there are some other ones, like "heal against stunned enemies" that can help out. sustaining health is one of the bigger problems early.

nobody is "unusably" bad, but there are bad characters. scarlet witch and doctor strange among them, because one of their slots is dedicated to a heal, and the heals suck. the two primary measures of a character are a) their inherent stats and b) the abilities and how their abilities synergize. scarlet witch, for instance, has awful synergies and barely fits with anyone.
as enemies get more difficult, your primary method of defeating them is to use the power combos to break down their barriers, then do a bunch of damage while they're down. so, you need good synergies to do well.

the dlc is mostly about whether or not you want to play the characters. only the fantastic four part has an actual story chapter, the others just have various danger room challenge stages, added nodes to hex grid, and other powerups you can buy. two of the most broken characters in the game are dlc folks, in invisible woman and phoenix. phoenix being especially unique because she has an ability that drops a ring on the ground that MASSIVELY restores the resource you use to cast your skills. like, increases it so much that you can pmuch just spam things forever.

how much you want to go deep in the game will depend on how much you like mindless grinding, because the primary way to level characters never changed from the base game, and it involves grinding the exact same stage over and over and over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cams
Mar 28, 2003

teh_Broseph posted:

The game points you toward synergy combos but imo it's kind of a trap - as things got harder I got way more mileage from using the individual skills that list 'does bonus damage to shields' or whatever it's all called to break that bar then dump on the synergy combos for damage. Lot more mana efficient that way, especially if you do some character swapping to spread out the meter usage.
but even those moves will do considerably more damage to barriers if they're part of a synergy. the weird thing about the game is that when you're playing alone and hold R to use the automatic synergies, it costs way more mana for both characters. if you do it "naturally" by actually using the skill at the right time or hitting a during the quarter second window when it prompts you, it costs the same as normal.

spamming the break shield abilities is a good strategy regardless cause the ai will sometimes accidently synergize with you. it really did make the gameplay a little more unsatisfying when so much of it was based around getting shields down before you could do anything.