Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
2nd overall eh? Intriguing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Willing to swap the 20 pick too so hmu

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

I can't believe McDavid's going to fall all the way to 17th overall for me

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

drat it why didn't I take the Blues again.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
The time honored tradition of me having one of the final picks of the first round

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Nice, I've generally always been in the back half of the draft so this will be interesting

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
So if I understand the pick windows correctly, 16th will put my first round pick at 7pm-9pm PST, on wednesday?

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
The two-hour window starts after the previous pick is made. So if a pick is made at 1:07 PM, the window would last until 3:07.

If someone's turn lapses into the dead period (7 PM-7 AM PST), their window extends until two hours have officially lapsed in the live period. An example would be a pick made at 6:50 PM PST would place the window from 6:50 PM to 8:50 AM the next day. If someone picks in the dead period then the two-hour window just resets to 7 AM.

Several of us will be regularly updating the thread with who's coming up just so it's easier to monitor.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

If every pick in the draft was given a full two-hour window the draft would take ((31 teams * 24 picks * 2 hours per pick ) / 12 hours each day) = 124 days, so we'd be finished in November.

You gotta keep an eye on the thread to follow how fast the picks are moving, and when you see your spot coming up start thinking about who you'll want to choose. It's pretty easy to follow along, especially after the first day or two, and as cotc said the thread is pretty good about stating who's up and for how long.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
It gets a little trickier in later rounds when you don't remember who was picked already. I usually try to control + f on the google doc we do and see if a guy was picked already though which usually works unless Google Docs is being lovely.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
We could probably set up a tab of all nhl players that auto highlights when they are picked for easier reference

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
the top half of the draft is going to move pretty quickly most of the time because it's literally all discord goons so we'll all be on each other to pick pretty much instantly

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
when are we starting?

Ergo Propter Hog
Jul 21, 2014

Monday the 15th!

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Ginette Reno posted:

2nd overall eh? Intriguing

You may just be able to get Tyler Johnson

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

You may just be able to get Tyler Johnson

Don't spoil my draft strategy jerk

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
The clock starts Monday I think; I think we said if people want to begin picking tomorrow though they can, there's just no limit on time.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
do coach picks typically happen dead last? Does the coach's salary count against the cap here?

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
you know it would be kinda cool if we did an all-time draft one of these years

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

T-Bone posted:

It already feels like these take that long tbh

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

T-Bone posted:

Yeah I think this would be an really cool.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Coaches go whenever and don't count against the cap

Ergo Propter Hog
Jul 21, 2014

JawKnee posted:

do coach picks typically happen dead last? Does the coach's salary count against the cap here?

Not dead last, but typically towards the end

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
emphasis on typically

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Teemu Pokemon posted:

emphasis on typically

Draft Barry Trotz with your first pick, and then load up on gritty defensive guys.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Jordan7hm posted:

Yeah I think this would be an really cool.

I could put a thread up, might be easier to do them both at once since everyone is checking the forums anyway

or would it be better to wait?

Ergo Propter Hog
Jul 21, 2014

T-Bone posted:

I could put a thread up, might be easier to do them both at once since everyone is checking the forums anyway

Might be worth saving for the lockout season :v:

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

T-Bone posted:

i would wait, I doubt most people will be able to keep their attention up all the way through this let alone with two going

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

T-Bone posted:

Let’s save it for next year. Two at once is a bit much.

Ergo Propter Hog
Jul 21, 2014

:siren: Ring a Ding Ding :siren:

Just like the past few years, we're gonna open early. That said no one gets skipped until it officially starts tomorrow.

HootTheOwl is up until 12:00pm EST, July 15th.

The spreadsheet is located at: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JOZfvDBowWzNLrGsSePJgCSQe9kTj2QQIGHF4JYjWqI/edit?usp=sharing

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

My franchise is ready

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Ginette Reno posted:

Draft Barry Trotz with your first pick, and then load up on gritty defensive guys.

Worked out for me last season

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The St. Louis Blues and I would like to thank Mama Lucia for holding another draft this year, and also the forums of the Armchair Quarterback for hosting. This year I think I'm going to take things seriously and draft a real player.
And that player is the man who dragged my team, kicking and screaming, to the playoffs and stole an entire series last year.
That player has since won the Vezina trophy and I'm proud to announce the first pick of the 2019 SAS draft is Andrei Vasilevskiy

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Already starting off great

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I'm excited for a dozen or more stupid gimmick teams.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Drafting for the season sim engine is galaxy brain

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
lmao

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I hate gimmick teams. It throws off the draft. But hey whatever

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
The Penguins have once again fallen rear end backwards into a generational talent. I'll take the no brainer pick of Connor McDavid. Do I need to explain this one? He's the best player in the league, young, signed long term, and is the best player to enter the league since Crosby/Ovechkin. He might end up being better than Crosby/Ovechkin when all is said and done. He's that fuckin good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
There are probably about 6 or 7 guys you could make a case for in this slot but ultimately I'm gonna go with Nathan MacKinnon -- he looked like the best player in the league in the playoffs, is only 23 and his production/underlying numbers are fantastic.