Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I will ruin the Wild again with two way players who can't score

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Zodijackylite posted:

Always take the best player available.

This. Draft for points over corsi at least for the first few rounds or you will get a team that scores ~200 goals like I have the past few years.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Ginette Reno posted:

2nd overall eh? Intriguing

You may just be able to get Tyler Johnson

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

My franchise is ready

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

fawning deference posted:

Seguin is real good but this definitely seems too early for him to go.

He's actually the third highest goal scoring center over the past five seasons so it's not completely insane, and given his shiny new contract I'd say it's a pretty solid decision

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Hurry up ya scrubs I want to make my bad picks tonight

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

mentholmoose posted:

Hey I'm gonna take one of the best two-way centers in hockey, a multiple time 30 goal scorer and extreme fancy stats darling, Sean Couturier.

I thought he was extremely overrated his first few years in the league but he has really grown into a good player, as much as I hate to admit it.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Boomer the Cannon you're up don't take my guy

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

https://i.imgur.com/sI539jG.mp4

David Pastrnak has sick dangles and a sicker contract. He's definitely the sort of player who can take over a game on his own (not to say he doesn't have help) and will be good for years to come.

Some people say you can't build around a winger but gently caress that look at those dangles

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

The.. dman?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Thufir posted:

Give me Evgeni Malkin and Seth Jones

These are good picks

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Agonizing over this but l will go with Matt Barzal because he hit a ppg at 20 and that's pretty uncommon.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Zodijackylite posted:

Washington selects Dylan Larkin, because he's young and scores a lot.

This was my other guy in consideration. He's got such a good contract and is a loving great skater but Barzal's rookie season (assuming it wasn't entirely a product of Tavares) just slightly edged him out in my mind

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Should we consensus the oilers before they get too thrashed?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Jonathan Fisk posted:

I'll take Claude Giroux and force him back to centre.

DrunkCanuck is up

I will be the one to question using the man who just had a career resurgence as a winger as a center

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Kilza posted:

This makes me feel gross but I'll select Sean Monahan.

Eh sure, he's not the two-way phenom folks think/thought he was but that kid is good for 30 goals and on a great contract.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

JawKnee posted:

I will select Tomas Hertl. It's possible he'll regress, but hopefully last season is an indication of what his prime years will be with top line minutes. And I need a C

I almost went with Hertl for the Czech connection and because he's awesome but as good as he is I can't see him replicating the 70+ points if production dips across the league.
That was a tough choice too, because he's got the hands.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I love Jake but I don't think he repeats last season. I could see him doing 30-30 pretty consistently though.
That said I think there are some more dynamic forwards still on the table that I'd have taken over him but he's for sure a really smart player

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Jordan7hm posted:

I may be stretching with this pick but I honestly don’t think I am. I loving love this kid.

I’m taking Brady Tchachuk.

In the modern era 18 players have put up 3 shots per game as rookie teenagers (200 shot minimum). The active players are all guys who’ve been picked (with one exception, also a guy I considered taking here). Brady is one of them. 45 points in 70 games as a teenager, putting up really good possession stats without being given cushy matchups, playing first line minutes by the end of the season. This kid is the one bright spot in Ottawa, a legitimate star caliber player.

He’s going to be the best piece of poo poo Crosby plays with since Crosby went to the WC with Marchand.

I thought for sure Jordan Staal did this because he had a nearly 30 goal 18 year old season but apparently he shot at 22%

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

fawning deference posted:

There is a winger I was prepared to take now but then I realized I needed a D still on the board. I feel like maybe because he missed 20 games last year he's been overlooked, or D have just been slow to run the board, but I consider him to be one of the top 3 offensive D in the league. Amazing fancies and good for 60-65pts, plays 24-25 mins a game, and to boot he's making just over $4m the next two seasons.

The Devils select John Klingberg.

Oh you absolute fucker

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I was so hopeful one of Klingberg or Forsberg would fall because of their injury-shortened seasons but goons are pretty damned attentive hockey fans

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Boeser's good but he's very much a complimentary player. His wrist shot is loving fantastic but his skating is not pretty or fast so he needs another guy (like Pettersson) who can lead a rush and dish it to him when he's trailing. If you look at his highlights like none of his goals are off the rush, he's always trailing or cycling. That's not necessarily a bad thing but I think if you put him with a lesser center you'd see his production drop accordingly

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

ThinkTank posted:

Boeser spent like half of his rookie season with Sam Gagner as his centre. The rest with noted not playmakers Bo Horvat and Thomas Vanek. You're right in that he's primarily a trailer, but so is like 90% of shoot first players out there.

He's a pretty good all round goal scorer imo.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not putting him down in the least and I fully believe he's a consistent 30 goal scorer and that's rare enough but just that compared to a guy like Forsberg I think he's got some obvious limitations

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Gonna take a slight risk here.

Calgary is pleased to select Goaltender Carter Hart

Hrmm... I think just given how things are shaking out that you're going to want to have taken a center because I doubt Hart was on anyone's radar

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I was confused why Chabot was still on the board. He did some good things on a baaaaad team
Even if he isn't Karlsson 2.0 he's still pretty goddamned good for what's left

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Kilza posted:

The best way to avoid having people pick your players is to announce who you're going to take in advance, so that way everybody knows to not pick them.

Like, gee, I sure hope nobody picks Milan Lucic, as I'm eyeing him with my next pick...

You're so lucky Boomer is holding me up right now and also my name is Jim Benning and can I trade my picks now for some of your round 12/13 picks

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

https://i.imgur.com/tiIt9hC.mp4

Given the dearth of young proven centers on good contracts already in this draft, I have to pick Mika Zibanejad.
Despite getting more defensive zone starts than ever last season, he still broke out and proved himself as a more than capable #1 center. I expect him to put up at least 50 points a season while making a very reasonable $5.35m

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

ThinkTank posted:

Only fair because I was living a dizzying dream where I dared believe that Thomas Chabot was going to come back to me after I nearly took him over Laine.

You are up to pick by the way

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

JawKnee posted:

Is it not still Thufir?

Oh right, that's right
sorry

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

And I'm gonna take my first d-man Matt Dumba who put up 12 goals in like 30 games and then got injured in a really dumb way last season

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

EL BROMANCE posted:

I’m looking forward to seeing some drunken picking over the weekend.

Queue someone passionately defending picking Nathan Bastian or Michael McLeod in the 5th round

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Trocheck is an interesting figure because 3 years ago he was an elite shutdown first line caliber center, then the next year his shutdown numbers significantly dropped but he put up nearly a ppg, and then this last season he (while injured) was basically just a really decent 3rd line center.
If he regains form to either of the first two he is absolutely a steal at this point. I considered him over Zbad for a good long while because peak Trocheck is for sure the better player but he's been trending down and Zbad trending up

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

FBS posted:

I'll take Mattias Ekholm.

Ekholm is so goddamned good, and that contract.
He'd be making 6-7 if he hit the market now

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

eXXon posted:

and Tyler Kennedy retired in 2017.
and goalie crests across the league have been experiencing unspeakable longevity ever since

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I think I'm going to have to go with another d-man,
Mikhail Sergachev

He didn't have quite as good of a season as the one prior but he's young and cost controlled for at least another year until he makes $INFINITY
Not sure why he's still on the board but so far this draft seems to be favoring the proven commodities which is a bit of a shift from the past few years

X - Barzal - Pastrnak
X - Zibanejad - X

Sergachev - Dumba

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I'll take Alex Tuch

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Zodijackylite posted:

Washington selects Jesperi Kotkaniemi

I was between him and Tuch last pick. Kid is gonna be so good even if he is a poo poo head

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

i am the bird posted:

Detroit takes Quinn Hughes

Hall - Pettersson - x
x - Couture - x

Hughes - Makar

Bobrovsky

Goddamn Hall-Pettersson would be such a fun line to watch

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

JawKnee posted:

Can you believe Kyle Palmieri is only 28? I couldn't. Anyhow he's my pick to round out my 2nd line in my 'oh gently caress I forgot defensemen' team

Kuule Hain nuisivan has again sent me a very short list, and would like to select Phillip Danault

Danault was my secret 3rd line center drat you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

stab posted:

Yeah if i hadnt turbofucked my team capwise he would have been my pick instead of Patrick. When you only have 2.2 mil per spot and you have 18 spots to fill then...welp

holy poo poo what did you do

I guess at least you don't have to worry about Patrick hitting most of his performance bonuses