Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

TruMoose is out, get yourself a 9.2 GB patch so you can have beautiful moose!

e: oh god this is the kind of game where an update means it redownloads the entire game so it went from 30~ GB on my laptop to 60~ GB and I can't have that, I need that space for ffxiv. Had to uninstall and I'll reinstall soon, but ughhh unoptimized updates...

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Aug 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

I had played 30 hours on Layton Lakes, never having gone to any of the other reserves. Last night I went through and played a bit of each of them and I'm really fuckin impressed. This game is amazing. The Savannah is probably my fave.

Also got a diamond moose on the yukon, hopefully trumoose doesn't gently caress it up in the trophy lodge :P

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Weapon Pack 3 is out and its $3.99 or $2.99 if you get the bundle and already own all the dlc in it. The air rifle looks like its gonna be a fun time plinking deer, the 30-06 is probably just a straight up replacement for the 7mm/.45-70 and the .22 pistol is gonna be great for "I Need a gun for every animal!!!" plus it looks fantastic

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I think I'm burning out on this game. Did a bunch of missions and they were actually pretty rewarding, but some are just a slog, and - occasionally - seem broken.

I'm on one where I need to kill a red deer in rotwald, a fallow deer in Hirschfeld, a bison in Rinderland, and a wild boar in that other district.

Spent about two hours before I realized you need to apparently fast travel to a district before the completion conditions go active for that district.

Since there doesn't seem to be a way to track partial completion in missions (?), I now have to trial and error every one of the four parts of the mission because I didn't track my own progress.

In any other game, no big deal, in this game, that means hours of effort. Which translates into turning an entire gaming session into a chore unless you quit the main mission line and do something else. And "something else" can mean easily botching up to an hour of effort by missing a perfect shot for a rating.

All in all, it's just starting to kill my motivation to play this otherwise pretty as hell game.

And then out of nowhere, I'll build a hunting stand, and a glitch from the instantly self-erecting stand will launch me 200 yards straight into the air flying half a mile across the district before making me fall through the ground into the black void due to what I assume is an excess of collision velocity and I'll just sit there dying of laughter for a solid minute.

I think I'll look for mods or cheats to gently caress around with the game a bit before putting it down until another content patch and then start on a new reserve.

gently caress all thus shrubbery for real, y'all. The noise level on Hirschfelden is killing me.

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Aug 5, 2019

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Has it been mentioned before that this game needs some kind of futurey alien hunting mod/expansion? I was playing with a friend last night and the whole time we were hypothesizing a Blood Dragon style version of this game with crazy future hunting guns and aliens with weirdass weak spots that you actually need to learn where to shoot.

Either that or stealth patch in a Predator thing. They'd never do it because why would they but goddamn it'd be cool to have the Predator stealthing around if you had no idea it was in the game.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

They did theHunter Primal and its awful so I doubt they are gonna try that again.

NJersey
Dec 1, 2008
theHunter: Primal is a dinosaur island version of the game. I think they stopped developing it or something though. Never played it.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
100 hunters airdropped into a reserve

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

awesmoe posted:

100 hunters airdropped into a reserve

They call those East Coast Public Lands

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Hub Cat posted:

They did theHunter Primal and its awful so I doubt they are gonna try that again.

Daww, nuts :(

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Got back into playing again these past few days. I like to put some soft lofi or jazz music on, turn it down super low, and chhhiiiiillll

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I didn't realize we had a new thread for this game. Big patch tomorrow, looking forward to getting back into it after a few months away.

Really looking forward to the changes to consecutive harvests and shotguns being usable again.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Aug 20, 2019

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Patch notes for the new patch. I think they've "fixed" shotgun integrity at least 3 times now

TheHunter Expansive Worlds posted:

Tru-PATCH Release Date/Patch Notes Announcement
AUG 16 @ 10:43AM - AVALANCHE_GRAHAM
Hello Hunters,

We are very pleased to announce that next week, August 20th, we'll be releasing Tru-PATCH on all platforms. Until then you can get an early look at the patch notes below.

NOTE: Tru-RAC Roe Deer were initially set to be included in this update, but based on player feedback we will work on them further. You can expect to see them appear later in the year.

Game Improvements

Population reset of all animals on all reserves
Reset of animal need zones
Reset of Leaderboards
Reset of Hunting Log
Consecutive Harvest bonus no longer affects score (but does affect XP and money in the same way as before)
Increased limit of deployable tents per map from 8 to 16
The loadout when starting a new game has been updated to include more items (these items have no level requirement anymore and some are available for free for returning players)
Updated story missions in Medved Taiga to use waypoints
Equipment is no longer holstered when exiting ATV
Various updates to existing missions where sometimes there would be no animals in the mission area or the required scoring didn’t match shown objective
Improvements to path-finding for all animals on all reserves
Added new, clearer descriptions for blood splatter
Various improvements to first person and animal animations
Various localization improvements
Updated the Antler Rattler description to include affected species

Shotgun Overhaul

Shotgun hits now group up and display all pellets that hit the target
Hitlist displays how many pellets hit the target in brackets
Pellets now move with deviations in velocity
Damage and integrity has been reworked on all shotguns
Integrity is now reduced per shot, no longer per pellet

Bug Fixes

Fixed issue with multiplayer clients being unable to hunt Geese
We continue our work here as host migration can still cause issues
Backpack no longer makes noise when standing still
Fixed missing legacy Moose racks
Fixed issue where the camera would flip when changing stance
We continue our work here as it might still occur after shooting
Fixed issue that resulted in small stepped movement of iron sights
Fixed issue with the Hunting Log being reset after the game was restarted
Improved an issue where players lose map data (e.g. claimed outposts)
Once you re-discover these locations, they should be saved properly now.
We will continue to work on this issue
Fixed weird looks of the eyes of Wolves when aggressive
Noise indicator now correctly displays noise when deploying portable structures
Virant Klasika now uses the correct visual effects
Wolf eyes should no longer glow when harvest is highlighted
Fixed issue with big bulges on the side of animals due to breathing
Fixed issue with The Mile, The Scandinavian Mile, etc. achievements
Fixed issue where player would sometimes examine a clue under a downed animal instead of harvesting the animal, even though “Harvest” prompt was shown
Fixed issue with shotguns having wrong zeroing order
Fixed issue where some waterfowl blinds would change colors when entered
Fixed issue with Quickdraw perk not working with lever-action rifles
Fixed issue with Keen Eyes skill sometimes not working properly
Fixed issue with Both Eyes Open not working with 20GA semi-auto shotgun
Fixed issue where toggling aim would mute footstep sounds and break animation
Fixed various issues with aim cancelling
Aiming with weapons or optics holstered is no longer possible
Fixed issue with thumb clipping through rifles when exiting aim while prone without scope

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Guess this is a great time to start over. I might do that soon as I get the moneis to buy the 5 pieces of DLC I'm missing.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Interested to hear if the shotgun fix worked. I really wanted to like shotguns but they were so ineffectual. I did manage to track down a deer I accidentally shot with .410 birdshot one time though lol. There must be a minimum damage factor.

I’m also curious about the improved blood splatter description and what that means.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I have never noticed a problem with shotguns. I probably have the most harvests with the 20g.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

The problem was mostly with buckshot. Buckshot would basically give no integrity because too many "shots" would hit the target. Its been fixed now as far as I can tell:

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Yeah the main issue was it counted every pellet against the integrity on Deer. The other thing I feel is an issue is that buckshot has abysmal penetration even at very close range so why should I not just use a pistol at that point?

I had to check so 12 Gauge buck has the same penetration (5) as .22lr but (0) expansion compared to (10) for the .22.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Aug 21, 2019

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

My use of buckshot tonight was rather effective, it doesn't have a lot pen, sure, but the multiple hits causes massive bleeding. Deer don't run very far after having their sides blasted open. Of course a rifle is probably still better in the end, but if you're on a weight budget the versatility of slugs/buck/birshot is nice.

Another thing I tried tonight was using soft point ammo. In the past I'd always used the poly tips on every gun cause more penetration is more good, right? Well, you put a soft-point into a critter's lung from the side and holy poo poo that thing drops fast. Poly tips with a lung shot would usually cause "medium" bleed rates and drop them decently quick, but a soft-point into the lung causes high bleed rates and just loving drops the things in a few seconds. I need to try them out more, but it seems if you put a soft into the "boiler room" and you're gonna gently caress them up good. Forget going for frontal heart shots with soft-points though.

Also got a nice prize tonight too:

Not the most impressive rack, sure, but hey, my lodge is depressingly empty and a) its a buck b) its piebald c) it has more than a pair of twigs sticking out of its head

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Aug 21, 2019

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Aaah. I was using the 20g slug on pretty much all deer. And I figured my lack of integrity was from my rabbit hunting technique of sprinting around, hearing a thump, finding their food plot, then sitting and waiting, reading the forums and listening to jazz till they showed back up

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Ugh, what a night. First I get a 940 Blacktail and a 941 Moose, then I gently caress up the shot on what would've been a diamond Whitetail. :argh:

My only diamonds are still just a rabbit and a duck. :sigh:

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Suspect Bucket posted:

Aaah. I was using the 20g slug on pretty much all deer. And I figured my lack of integrity was from my rabbit hunting technique of sprinting around, hearing a thump, finding their food plot, then sitting and waiting, reading the forums and listening to jazz till they showed back up

You can totally do this just load birdshot.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Ugh, what a night. First I get a 940 Blacktail and a 941 Moose, then I gently caress up the shot on what would've been a diamond Whitetail. :argh:

My only diamonds are still just a rabbit and a duck. :sigh:

poo poo, I can shoot heartshots all night then as soon as i spot a diamond bam 2 inches to the right.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Aug 24, 2019

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Shot my first color morph, a black Springbok, and loving 0 integrity'd it by accidentally using my 7mm from 75m away x.x

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Suspect Bucket posted:

Shot my first color morph, a black Springbok, and loving 0 integrity'd it by accidentally using my 7mm from 75m away x.x

Still a trophy in the end. Not like anyone can see the actual score anyways :v:

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Still a trophy in the end. Not like anyone can see the actual score anyways :v:

And apparently the world of theHunter has fantastically skilled taxidermists who were able to repair the cannonball hole I left in it.

It was funny though, the whole time I was stalking, I was like "are you a morph, or a texture error?" I spotted the herd from 400 yards and had to stalk closer in to confirm that it was infact a huntable animal, and closer still to get a good bead on them.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Aug 28, 2019

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

nice

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Finally got my first Diamond that isn't a rabbit or a duck. :toot:

I spent way too long stalking that guy, but for the longest time he refused to shift out of the wind.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

If anybody hasn't seen it they are doing a High Tech items pack. It looks like night vision binoc and a rifle scope, a new bow, a rangerfinding bow sight, and tracer arrows(basically arrows with a light on them)

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I picked up Classic since they dropped the subscription thing and I've actually been having a good time playing around with it. So far I've only been hunting elk and white tail with the single shot twelve gauge but I prefer being able to lure animals to an ambush spot and that has worked well in Classic. I feel like Call of the Wild is me wandering around hoping to stumble across need zones while I come across a bajillion old tracks from animals I am not necessarily hunting.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

New Patch Notes:

TheHunter Team posted:

PATCH NOTES
New Features:

New weapon: Koter CB-65 Compound Bow
With performance that lies in the sweet spot between the Bearclaw Lite CB-60 and the Hawk Edge CB-70, the Koter CB-65 is a versatile compound bow, useful in every situation. Striking a delicate balance between recoil and accuracy, this bow is at its best when hunting medium sized game, but can also be deadly accurate against small and big game, when paired with the right arrows.

New equipment: GenZero 8X50 Night Vision Binoculars
Watch the reserves come to life at night through the Night Vision binoculars, designed to increase both visibility and contrast in the dark while leaving depth perception and shapes unaltered. From the largest of predators to the smallest of prey, all animals near you will have a hard time hiding from your keen gaze.

New equipment: GenZero 1-4x20 Night Vision Rifle Scope
Featuring a high-quality image intensifier tube, a compact design and waterproof battery compartment, the GenZero 1-4x20 Night Vision Rifle Scope will allow you to see beyond the expected in night-time conditions. A long-range IR illuminator completes the package allowing you to acquire your targets from safe distances; but be aware that the effectiveness of this technology is particularly affected by fog and adverse weather conditions.

New equipment: Brightsight Rangefinder Bow Sight
This sight helps hunters overcome the biggest challenge when bow-hunting: distance estimation. With the single press of a button, the Brightsight calculates the distance of the target and projects a precise, virtual LED pin that is only visible to the archer, without the clutter of multiple physical pins.

New equipment: Tracer arrows
At night, the Tracer Arrows will allow you to track down your prized harvest once you’ve made that first successful shot, thanks to a flashing red LED on the nock. In the off chance your prey manages to escape, you can simply follow the red light to its source and take the animal down.

New TruRACS animal: Roe Deer (Free)

GAME IMPROVEMENTS
-Reworked penetration and integrity reduction of Eckers .30-06 based on players’ feedback
-Updated Red Deer call to be different from Roosevelt Elk call
-Improved the impact particle effects of arrows and bolts at night
-We have moved our privacy policy from our website to in-game and you will find it now in a new interaction flow in the beginning of the game

BUG FIXES
-Fixed issue where the camera would flip when changing stance after shooting
-Fixed penetration issue on Fallow Deer with 12g buckshot related to size of the lungs’ hitboxes
-Fixed issue with date and time not displayed properly in the Hunting Log
-Fixed issue where Cinnamon Teals would sometimes not move between Need Zones
-Fixed issue with Need Zone POIs being shown on the map where there was no Need Zone
-Fixed issue where equipment was holstered after fast travelling
-Fixed issue where player had to unholster item twice to equip it
-Fixed issue with the peep sight of the compound bow being offset
-Fixed issue where animal tracks were not fully visible before and after night time
-Fixed issue of Crossbow shots going unregistered in the Hunting Profile
-Fixed issue where Bearclaw bow showed up as Razorback in the harvest screen
-Fixed issue that allowed to shoot from a bow while prone without Like A Pro perk
-Fixed issue where Cape Buffalo and Gemsbok would sometimes keep running after being shot dead
-Fixed issue of Gray Wolves playing no sound for their mating calls
-Fixed issue where Reindeers would always play the same sound for both mating and warning call, and regardless of their gender
-Fixed issue where rain would fall inside certain hunting structures and inside caves
-Fixed multiple animation issues with the compound bow
-Fixed issue where King 470DB would play the bolt-action rifle chambering animation
-Fixed issues with store images of .30-30 and 16g slug ammunition
-Fixed some cases of floating vegetation in Medved Taiga
-Various fixes to Medved Taiga main missions, following the retrofitting of the missions with waypoints
-Various localization improvements
-Various crash fixes

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Looks like there is another map coming, possibly somewhere in Spain.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
This is a fun and cool game.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

The new reserve Cuatro Colinas came out on Tuesday. It's set in Spain, I haven't really gone through it yet but it looks really nice from what I've seen so far.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Dec 13, 2019

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i have been extremely sick recently so i picked up this game as a game where i can have a bit of a challenge and thought process without stressing myself out in really any substantial way.

i now have killed about 10 deer and i can safely say this game is loving good.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Coolguye posted:

i have been extremely sick recently so i picked up this game as a game where i can have a bit of a challenge and thought process without stressing myself out in really any substantial way.

i now have killed about 10 deer and i can safely say this game is loving good.

It is a good chill game about relaxing and killing animals, I agree.

There needs to be some component of getting the deer back to camp, finding a butcher that will process it, and the disappointment when you get back two backstraps and a pile of ground from someone else's deer that was gutshot and left in the sun for a few days.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

There’s a beta for the new patch. New scoring system and weapon classification system. You have to opt-in on steam.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/518790/eventcomments/1744517352131786603

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Looks like the new scoring patch is hitting this Tuesday
Beta Patch notes:
Changelog

Game Improvements and Bug Fixes:

New Features:

TruRacs for Water Buffalo
Introduction of Animal Scoring 2.0
Overhaul of Black Bear and Grizzly Bear animations

Changes based on the open beta feedback
Added a 4th harvest check whether a vital organ was hit to make sure that proper shot placement still brings challenge and rewards
Tweaked the properties of .223 rifle: ammo is now suitable for animal class 2-4, polymer-tip rounds have increased penetration and the weapon’s weight was reduced from 3.0 to 2.5, in order to make it suitable as “loadout rounder”
Tweaked the properties of 12ga shotshells: buckshot is now suitable for animal class 2-5 and slug is suitable for animal class 4-8
Changed the 7.62mm rounds to be suitable for animal class 3-7
Changed the 420gr arrows and bolts to be suitable for animal class 2-7
Fixed the properties of 20ga birdshot to be suitable for animal class 1

Bug Fixes
Fixed issue with rare fur variations of Ibex changing to common after game restart
Fixed issue where some settings’ values were reset upon starting the game
Fixed issue with brain shot was not being registered on some Ibex
Fixed issue with Shady Dealings achievement being unobtainable
Fixed issue where animals could not pathfind through narrow spaces
Fixed issue with pathfinding that resulted in animals not reacting to player
Fixed issue with Iberian Mouflon’s rare fur variations being too common
Fixed issue where Ibex and Mouflon could not flee up very steep slopes
Fixed issue with Ibex sometimes getting stuck on rocks
Fixed issue where animals could be lured in very soon after being spooked
Fixed issue where animals were occasionally tilted and would stand on their heads
Fixed issue with mission area outline taking too long to show on the map
Fixed issue where player could spend cash on a non-stackable item many times
Fixed issue with rangefinder showing too small distance when used from a treestand
Fixed issue where it was sometimes not possible to exit treestands
Fixed issue with Zeroing range being active when perk was not active
Fixed issue where Track Knowledge would always reveal the exact weight of animal
Fixed issue where Mårtensson 6.5mm could not be mounted in the trophy lodge
Fixed issue where player character did not grip the .30-06 Eckers correctly
Fixed issue with wrong message about multiplayer competition
Fixed issue where having .410 birdshot loaded would show pistol ammo icon
Fixed issue with Instructions from Vista España being accessible right from the start
Fixed issue where breaking on ATV with a controller would toggle aiming
Various crash fixes

And they redid the ethical weapons so I'm looking forward to that

Medals are now awarded based on the trophy rating of the harvested animal and the result of the harvest check, a set of 3 conditions you need to meet when shooting an animal. Failing to do so will result in a reduced medal rank.

The trophy rating is entirely dependent on the trophy of the animal : horns, antlers, weight, etc. and the scoring method is unique to each individual species. If you look at the ‘Animal Classes Diagram’, you can see the minimum score required to achieve a given medal for each species.

Edited to swap for latest chart

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Feb 18, 2020

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Very cool update, looking forward to getting stuck in.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Scoring 2.0 is live, looks like some good changes and of course some bugs. Nice to see animal classes prominently on ammo in the store but I feel like their symbols could probably be clearer

Expansive Worlds posted:

One of the biggest changes with the new animal scoring system, is that integrity has been replaced with a system of classes. Every species has been assigned an animal class, and ammunition is now permitted for a specified range of classes.

For example :
Whitetail Deer is a class 4 animal
European Bison is a class 9 animal
.243 ammunition is allowed for classes 2,4,3,4,5 and 6.
Therefore, .243 ammo can be used to hunt Whitetail Deer, but not European Bison.

Medals are now awarded based on the trophy rating of the harvested animal and the result of the harvest check, a set of 4 conditions you need to meet when shooting an animal. Failing to do so will result in a reduced medal rank.

The trophy rating is entirely dependent on the trophy of the animal : horns, antlers, weight, etc. and the scoring method is unique to each individual species.

All details regarding the new animal/weapon classes can be found in the in-game UI, just check your Codex.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Feb 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Is there a way to fix the mouse sensitivity when using binoculars? I have it at 200% and the response is still waaaay too slow when not zoomed all the way in.