Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

You're ideally gonna want to hang back till they stop moving(or even better beat them to where they're going) if you aren't doing lure hunting. Trying to get good shots in while tail chasing animals is generally an exercise in frustration.
If you're taking too long to setup a shot you can probably move a bit faster as long as you aren't getting warning calls. Just try and keep terrain/objects between you and the animals.

Tracking gets easier with practice(and skillpoints). You might want to try changing the track colors in the settings to make them easier to spot.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jan 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Joiny posted:

Thank you! I downloaded the other mod that's working with all the maps and it certainly made it easier to at least find a few animals here and there.

I wasted a lot of time hunting a blue wildebeest herd that had some special colored ones (a white and a red/brown one that seemed unique) as they traveled, but I found it really hard to track them over time. When an animal is traveling do you tend to stay back and wait till they get to a needs zone? I tried that as well but I am really slow to line up a shot, so they ended up traveling again and I ended up losing them before I got a shot off. I feel like I'm too slow to track animals and if I try to catch up to them by running/fast walking then I end up spooking them. Mostly I am good about getting a good shot off from a rifle on a mountain/hill with good sight, but if I have to track them using the tracks or anything and I can't see them easily, they will lose me haha.

I'll try going over to Hirschfelden and see how I fare, thanks for the tips.

Glad to help!

Good news: The white wildebeest will remain on your map until you kill it. If it was a legit albino, it'll be pretty rare. It's genereally better to follow them to their zone and shoot them there, than to try and get them on the run. Just hang back and follow the tracks. You will eventuelly get a skill that makes tracking easier.

Now, BWs can travel pretty far but what I'd do is try to remember when and where you saw it and look for the area/zone where they might be headed. I.e. If it was nearly drinking time, I'd check the watering holes close by, etc. However, the starting rifle (.243 is too weak to reliably take down BWs). That means that even if you do kill it with two shots or less, it will still score one medal lower (silver instead of gold etc). Here's a handy chart for what you can shoot with what: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1939181716

The weapon packs DLCs are mostly worth it and pretty cheap. Oh, and always use the more expensive ammo (polymer-tipped/hard cast etc). Favor penetration over expansion.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009

Man, I've wanted a diamond red deer for so long. I systematically grinded Hirshfelden and Parque Fernando for many, many hours without luck. Then I started grinding on Quatro Collinas, again without luck. I took a long break and came back to Quatro. This time I tried a few places I usually don't go and at different times, and one night I stumbled upon this fella: https://imgur.com/a/XdHNT0I

He actually fell into the river, and I was nervous for a while, but luckily he floated right towards me. I must have spent 50-70 effective hours on red deer grinding at that point. I then figured I just try Hirschfelden again, but in their feeding time instead of drinking time. Spawned in a cabin, started walking and literally five minutes in found this guy: https://imgur.com/a/GGMCJee Quite a bit smaller, but he'll do :)

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Nice
https://twitter.com/theHunterCOTW/status/1372578614957502465?s=20

selan dyin
Dec 27, 2007

I've been enjoying having my bloodhound and can't WAIT for a retriever of some sort

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009

Even better, after YET another buggy release, EW has decided that maybe it's worth considering this here beta testing thingy they've heard so much about, so hopefully future releases will be less fucky.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
There was a wonderful effortpost about this game in the stickied Your Favorite Games thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3955050&pagenumber=10&perpage=40#post514816301. I immediately bought it and I'm loving this. I've yet to venture outside of Layton Lake (and have covered maybe half its ground in 30 hours) but man, this is so pretty and chill, and nailing a bear through the lungs with a crossbow feels badass.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

I have all the DLC but honestly, Layton is my favorite map I always end up back there eventually.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Freudian slippers posted:

Even better, after YET another buggy release, EW has decided that maybe it's worth considering this here beta testing thingy they've heard so much about, so hopefully future releases will be less fucky.

That'd be nice, I haven't touched the game in a while mostly because of all the buggy crap.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

edit: Eh don't want to be a downer right now

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 17:19 on May 27, 2021

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Layton is great but I think the Savannah wins out for me. Its so unique compared to the other locations, and it has amazingly huge sight lines for sniping, much less tree cover than other locations. Lots of fun game too, and some travel in huge herds which is fun. Getting caught in a stampede is pretty wild.

E: Game is currently on sale for $6 and all DLC is on sale

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 19:40 on May 27, 2021

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
I'm having a hell of a time closing the deal on some stalks. I'm trying to run down red deer, track it, find "just now" scat, and then just can't see an animal anywhere. I'm checking my wind, crouching low when I find the fresh scat. I just started playing so I'm limited on what lures I have. Should I just stick to smaller game up front? I'm trying to level up the rifle and have been running the 270 but it's overpowered for the easier game.

Also I just bought some dlc yesterday! :argh:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

sephiRoth IRA posted:

I'm having a hell of a time closing the deal on some stalks. I'm trying to run down red deer, track it, find "just now" scat, and then just can't see an animal anywhere. I'm checking my wind, crouching low when I find the fresh scat. I just started playing so I'm limited on what lures I have. Should I just stick to smaller game up front? I'm trying to level up the rifle and have been running the 270 but it's overpowered for the easier game.

That's how it goes early on. Even "just now" can still be a bit old. The challenge with stalking deer is if you crouch walk then you move so slow you probably won't catch up to the deer (they're fast), but if you walk or crouch run you make more noise so if you do catch up to the deer, they'll hear you and bolt. Its possible to crouch run until you get close and then crouch walk up to where they are, but it takes practice to get the timing and also requires you to get pretty lucky.

An easier way to go than doing the full stalking/tracking thing, especially as a new player (as you level up the skills and perks really help) is to just run around the map finding all the need zones you can. Find where the deer eat, drink and sleep. Just run around the map tagging all those need zones, and also tagging all the fast travel locations.

Then you can fast travel to a lodge, sleep to pass time until one of the need zones is coming up, and then creep your way over to the need zone. You'll catch them out in the open unaware, but you'll know where they'll be so you won't have to slowly walk after them hoping their tracks aren't 40 minutes old.

Sometimes laboriously tracking them down bit by bit can be fun, but other times it can be excruciating, especially when you almost find them and then they bolt right before you can get a shot lined up. Or if the tracks just seem to disappear somewhere.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Use your binos more. Animals are pretty good at hiding in plain sight.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
I saw the biggest fallow deer buck ever, it dwarfed everything I'd seen in the game so far, it was massive! I stalked it for well over 30 minutes, get within shooting range, and then the game crashed :negative:

Also this game is awesome

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Some people might find this cheat sheet useful.

It looks up to date at a glance, but I can't promise.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Bringing a conversation over from the Bestest Games Ever thread:

Zaphod42 posted:

I left it out of my writeup, but after seeing Shine's comments one of the best things about The Hunter is its an FPS where nobody will ever attack you. Okay, a bear might maul you, but you don't have to ever be tense that somebody could snipe you. Its totally asymmetric. That makes for a really relaxing, chill game. There's still tension because of not wanting to spook the animals and miss them like I mentioned, which is actually a game design magic trick.

It goes into something I've been saying for awhile about games needing to get away from player dying as punishment and allow for soft fail-states that never actually "game over", we're not in a quarter munching arcade anymore.

Yup, perfect summary of the appeal. It's like those Arma sniper missions, except after the shot lands, you can just stop and admire it because the flock isn't gonna drop a mortar on you. Or you miss, and you're a bit annoyed, but there's really no consequence behind being a bit annoyed. poo poo, missed. Oh well, whatever, gonna stroll around this pretty mountain until I see an elk or something.

quote:

Sorry Shine, bad timing. Good news is the DLC is on sale too!

Honestly for $6 that's an insane value. You could easily get your money's worth just walking around taking pictures of deer pokemon snap style for $6 even if you aren't interested in shooting things.

It's all good. I wouldn't trade the fun I had last weekend for another $14 in my pocket today. Game was very easily worth $20, and $6 (or $45 for game + all DLC right now) is just nuts.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009

It really is a special game and I'm hovering around 1000 hours ATM. I just wish they'd stop breaking poo poo all the time. Not to mention that the game and DLCs really are quite reasonably priced.

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Red deer are hard and Hirschfelden is one of the harder maps, due to all the vegetation and curved terrain. The best strategy for beginners (and for everyone else too), is to hunt animals during their drinking time. That way you generally know roughly where they are and you can often get a clear shot without having to sneak all the way up. A good approach is to hunt white tail on Layton during drink time. Start in the south-west and work your way up the river. You should be able to spot quite a few from a good distance and the wind is usually in your favour.

E: They'll probably drop a new map DLC in June. Hints may point to Mexico or a new Africa map.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Thirding take a hike to catalogue all the needs spots.

Tracking is something to do when you have lures unlocked and are chasing specific trophies like coat variants or huge racks.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Doing the story missions can also help you get the feel for each map.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

E: They'll probably drop a new map DLC in June. Hints may point to Mexico or a new Africa map.

The hint is a gourd, which I took as maybe being Himalayas? But other people are saying it implies another Africa map yeah.

Kilonum posted:

Doing the story missions can also help you get the feel for each map.

Yeah they're sorta designed as soft tutorials

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009

To be fair, a lot of places use gourds, so we'll just have to wait and see. Game and DLCs are on sale again, btw.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Just bought some new locales, and got my spouse the base game for co-op. Playing as a dedicated spotter while they take the shots was great fun.

The DLC crossbow is so loving cool. Sneaking up on some resting elk or moose and popping one from 20 meters is a blast. I like the compound bow for small and medium game. I'm also still racking up hunts with the 270 rifle so that I can unlock some big guns, but in the meantime, gently caress yeah crossbow moose all evening.

Time to buy a backpack and go on a tent-placing spree. I have some spots I'd like to use regularly.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009

Shine posted:

Just bought some new locales, and got my spouse the base game for co-op. Playing as a dedicated spotter while they take the shots was great fun.

The DLC crossbow is so loving cool. Sneaking up on some resting elk or moose and popping one from 20 meters is a blast. I like the compound bow for small and medium game. I'm also still racking up hunts with the 270 rifle so that I can unlock some big guns, but in the meantime, gently caress yeah crossbow moose all evening.

Time to buy a backpack and go on a tent-placing spree. I have some spots I'd like to use regularly.

I too enjoy spotting for less experienced players, it can be great fun! Unlocking the big guns can be a bit of a chore, but try to enjoy the road and not focus on the destination. Remember to always use the bullets with best penetration. Setting up tents close to your favourite spots are a good idea, but remember that animals won't render if you teleport into a tent closer than 200-250 meters. I'm pretty sure this also goes for cabins, so you could have a hotspot 100 meters away from your cabin, but unless you walk at least 250 meters away and then return, you'll never know.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
Is there a guide on how to evaluate trophy potential when looking at an animal? Like if there are multiple goats or deer or whatever, how do I figure out which one to shoot?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

General size and complexity of their racks as well as their overall physical size. As for specifics, not that I know of.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

It's harder to do by eye since they added the TruRacs system but as a general rule bigger is usually better. The codex in game will tell you what is being used to evaluate the trophy(Horns, Tusks, Skull etc).

There is a skill in-game that you can unlock which will give you the weight and points range.

Edit: Like for deer you would typically look for larger rack with more tines as long as it's symmetrical. If they're fairly close go for whichever animal is larger.

I dunno how goats are scored personally I just go off the numbers and whichever looks nicer
It's length and circumference so bigger is better.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 23:39 on May 29, 2021

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Is there a guide on how to evaluate trophy potential when looking at an animal? Like if there are multiple goats or deer or whatever, how do I figure out which one to shoot?

Get the M1 and shoot the biggest three :ese:

But yeah, you want the "Spotting Knowledge" skill (in the Ambusher skill tree) at at least level 2.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Get the Mosin-Nagant and shoot the biggest three :tfrxmas: :ussr:

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Get the M1 and shoot the biggest three :ese:

But yeah, you want the "Spotting Knowledge" skill (in the Ambusher skill tree) at at least level 2.

I got a Roosevelt Elk tonight actually with the 270! It was only a silver but still the biggest thing I've landed so far

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

sephiRoth IRA posted:

I got a Roosevelt Elk tonight actually with the 270! It was only a silver but still the biggest thing I've landed so far

Nice! Yeah, the first Roosevelt Elk I got was with the 270, too. First moose was with the 243; that suuuuucked. So did my aim, to be fair. I just unlocked the 7mm

I love the crossbow. This thing does not gently caress around at all.

My spouse and I played again tonight. This time we wore headphones and voice chatted through Mumble LAN. That ended up being a bad idea, as they had two trigger discipline misfires that scared the poo poo out of both of us. Probably gonna stick to solo for wearing headphones.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
Do tents stay up permanently or do they depart when I leave the game?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Do tents stay up permanently or do they depart when I leave the game?

They stay up (ditto tree stands and other structures) unless the game bugs out and removes them, in which case you receive a message stating that a beaver destroyed it with a tree and it's been returned to your inventory. At least, I assume that's the game bugging out and the devs creating a cutesy error message as a stopgap.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Shine posted:

They stay up (ditto tree stands and other structures) unless the game bugs out and removes them, in which case you receive a message stating that a beaver destroyed it with a tree and it's been returned to your inventory. At least, I assume that's the game bugging out and the devs creating a cutesy error message as a stopgap.

That makes sense. I was having a friend who just picked up the game hang in Te Awaroa and it was buggy as gently caress. I was crashing to desktop every 20 seconds or so. Thankfully he still managed to ay and bagged a goat before we bailed to the pacific NW instead. The tent blowing up when I loaded in was probably an omen.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
Sometimes folks will host multiplayer servers and leave their tents at all the outposts on the map, so you can fast-travel between them and unlock them, which is nice

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Grumio posted:

Sometimes folks will host multiplayer servers and leave their tents at all the outposts on the map, so you can fast-travel between them and unlock them, which is nice

Oh poo poo, you can do that? Thanks! I'll do that for my spouse next time. I set up some tree platforms overlooking a bigass field in Layton, but it's a several km from the newbie spawn point and we didn't feel like trekking out there.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009

Shine posted:

Yeah, the beaver message pops up when you've managed to place your tent on a glitchy part of the terrain. Should have just said that, IMO, a lot of people think it's just the devs loving with them and become angry. There's also a relatively new bug that makes the tents disappear if you fast travel away from a tent while in the presence of your DLC dog.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I've had a really annoying bug where when I'm deep into stalking some animal suddenly the game will just stop rendering tracks. They still exist and you can still tag them with the PDA, but being invisible they're pretty annoying to find.

Only solution is to reboot the game and lose whatever hunt you're on :(

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
Is te awaroa really buggy in multi for you all? I cannot play more than 15 minutes hosting a friend and not have it crash to desktop. I'm a little bummed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Bumping this despite there being nothing really new happening with the game to say I turned on 7.1 sound on my fairly low level headset. It's definitely made a difference in judging where noise is coming from, I'm not sure it helps that much with judging distances yet. Or I just haven't "got my ear in" for that with my level of experience.

If you have those types of earphones/headsets, you should give it a try.