Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
:siren: theHunter: Call of the Wild has a sick deal over at Humble. 15 bucks for ALL content. :siren:

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/thehunter-call-wild-complete-bundle

:siren: That poo poo is a bargain go buy it. :siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
That is a deal.
CotW is a great little relaxing hunting game.
Sadly I pretty much have everything that I need.

e:gonna quote you into the deal thread

OgNar fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Oct 15, 2021

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I am grabbing that deal yesterday.

Dredge
Mar 18, 2009

Det_no posted:

:siren: theHunter: Call of the Wild has a sick deal over at Humble. 15 bucks for ALL content. :siren:

Be aware that this requires Steam activation for all 22 items individually. As I just discovered. :sigh:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah. That was a painfully tedious 10 minutes but totally worth it.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

The game regularly goes on sale at very reasonable prices :)

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I got murdered by a wounded roe deer

This game rules

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Eric the Mauve posted:

This game rules

It really does.
I wanted to try out the 2 different turkey callers, 30 sec later one of them fuckers came outta nowhere and landed right next to me.
Confused and panicking, I managed to remember the right hotkey for the .22 pistol and dumped a whole mag at its general direction.
Cue a whole lot of cheevos and my first diamond trophy :unsmith:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Update, I was tracking a blacktail and crawling through some reeds to try to sneak up on it, and was so successfully hidden that when it heard me and bolted, it ran right over me and trampled me to death. Game Of The Year.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Hey guys, I'm trying to figure out the mechanics between the "accept" and "save harvest" options after you kill something in this game. After googling and then reading three different sets of explanations from absolute morons (they all say dumb poo poo like "it's simple, 'save harvest' means you save the harvest and 'accept' means you accept the kill, duh!), I'm asking you guys because there is a chance at least one person reading this is an adult with basic reading comprehension skills and enough mental capacity to actually answer the question in a way another human might understand.

Does "accept" give you money and XP, while "save the harvest" more or less 'banks' the kill, and if so does that mean you don't get anything for it now but can choose at a later time whether you want to get money and xp OR taxidermize it?
Do both options give you money and XP, but the "save harvest" button lets you taxidermize the animal later in addition to getting money and xp now? Later?

Holy poo poo this shouldn't be this goddamn hard but apparently multiple people have asked this question on the internet and nobody seems to have the brain power to clearly lay out the full extent of what each option does.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Oct 30, 2021

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
'Saving' is putting the fur of that animal into storage for later taxidermy. There are a lot of, but limited, slots. You can delete them later so it's no biggie to save a lot.
If you don't care about the trophy lodges and arranging stuffed carcasses, just accept. There is no difference in the rewards.

Generally I just 'save' gold/diamond trophies and fur colors that look rare, haven't done much with the lodges yet.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Oct 30, 2021

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

sauer kraut posted:

'Saving' is putting the fur of that animal into storage for later taxidermy. There are a lot of, but limited, slots. You can delete them later so it's no biggie to save a lot.
If you don't care about the trophy lodges and arranging stuffed carcasses, just accept. There is no difference in the rewards.

Generally I just 'save' gold/diamond trophies and fur colors that look rare, haven't done much with the lodges yet.

Thanks! So are these mechanics correct then?

1. Accept:

a. immediately collect money
b. immediately collect xp
c. animal carcass disappears

2. Save Harvest

a. immediately collect money
b. immediately collect xp
c. animal carcass goes into the carcass bank where you can either taxidermy it later for a price or delete it if you decide you don't want it

Is that right?

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Yes, that is correct. You immediately receive the rewards regardless of your choice to save or taxidermy the trophy.

The save button adds it to the carcass bank and nothing else, you always "accept" the kill to clear it. The system was a later addition awkwardly bolted on.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Oct 31, 2021

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Hub Cat posted:

Yes, that is correct. You immediately receive the rewards regardless of your choice to save or taxidermy the trophy.

The save button adds it to the carcass bank and nothing else, you always "accept" the kill to clear it. The system was a later addition awkwardly bolted on.

Ah ok that explains it. Didn't know it was added on later.

Thanks!

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Det_no posted:

I missed that deal, but picked up the complete version during the Steam sale for, like, $50. And I don't feel taken advantage of. There's a lot of solid content here.

I bounced off the original TheHunter relatively quickly (years ago; mostly because I sucked), but I have a feeling I'm going to be into this one for the long haul. :cool:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I'm apparently some kind of god of stalking because I keep accidentally crawling right into the animal I'm stalking's face and getting trampled and killed by it before I can get a shot off

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
I wish I had some kind of heatseeking vision so I could actually find things to shoot.

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

uXs posted:

I wish I had some kind of heatseeking vision so I could actually find things to shoot.

This is how I felt for the first five hours or so. Truly, the secret is just to hang out near water and hunt the drinking zones.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I've found that you can be pretty successful finding things to shoot just walking against the wind and crouch-crawling through brush. When you find tracks circle around off to whichever side is downwind so when you find the animals they won't smell you and bolt before you ever see or hear them.

If you're just trying to grind cash/XP as fast as possible then setting up tents a short distance from need zones and camping them is definitely the way to go. If you're interested in having fun moving around in the gorgeous scenery and also shooting the occasional animal, it's mostly about paying attention to the wind direction and never having the wind to your back. That's my experience so far anyway.

It definitely helps that I am a dirty cheater and installed a 2x movement speed mod because gently caress verisimilitude in this case, the default movement speed is painfully slow

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Protip: Get in the habit of pausing to spot as you travel. Find some trees that can camouflage you while standing up and take a good look around with your binos; Very often there are animals around but you never see them before they spook.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009

If I were starting over from scratch, I'd start by hunting roe deer in the open fields on Hirschfelden in their eating time (0500-0800 and 1700-200) and whitetail while they're drinking along the western waterways on Layton (start south and walk north) from 0500-0800.

There are tons of guides showing you the optimal time and place to hunt certain prey and finding animals become trivial after a while. The only challenge eventually, is to find diamonds. Personally, I'm a huge fan of the mod found on Nexus (can't remember the name now) that increases view distance to 800 meters. It makes no sense to me that I can't see a giant moose standing in the open 430 meters away. That's the only mod I use, but I can't imagine playing without it.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

If you're just trying to grind cash/XP as fast as possible then setting up tents a short distance from need zones and camping them is definitely the way to go.

That's a way to go, especially if you want to level up quickly, but I know someone who tried the game a while back got really huffy and was all, "This game is too easy! You just stand by the water, shoot them, and call them back in!" Not realising that as you go on (so after you've levelled up) that a lot of the game is trying to get more impressive animals.

Either way, that's not how I like to play. I prefer to "roleplay" it and not cheese need zones constantly, especially as I'm still exploring Hirschfelden/levelling up. I've done about ten posts in a Let's Play in the LP forum, if anyone's interested. It'll be coming out slowly now that I'm playing other things as well, but the way I'm playing is definitely a way to play. It just takes putting some artificial limits on yourself for the sake of fun. theHunter Classic forces you to play that way, but CotW can be played this way if you're willing to take it slow/roleplay it.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009

Mrenda posted:

I've done about ten posts in a Let's Play in the LP forum, if anyone's interested. It'll be coming out slowly now that I'm playing other things as well, but the way I'm playing is definitely a way to play. It just takes putting some artificial limits on yourself for the sake of fun. theHunter Classic forces you to play that way, but CotW can be played this way if you're willing to take it slow/roleplay it.

Hey, these are great! Please post more :)

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
About an eighth of my time playing this game is spent hoping the new Elder Scrolls looks this good and can match its sense of exploring untouched wilderness.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Freudian slippers posted:

Hey, these are great! Please post more :)

Thanks! :)

I record my sessions (about an hour to an hour and a half long) then write them up. I have a few more recorded but my last LP I burned out by trying to get something out every second day so I'm just updating this as the mood takes me. Also, there's not a huge reaction in the thread so I don't feel that much pressure, but more will be coming (at some point.)

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Hey all, is the ps4/5 version good?

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

A Sometimes Food posted:

Hey all, is the ps4/5 version good?

I know lots of people play it and enjoy it. The base game comes with the Tent DLC (which some would say is the only essential DLC.) It also comes with ATV/Quad Bikes (which other people would say is an essential DLC.) So if you're playing the base game from some offer/subscription absolutely give it a go.

There are supposed to be some problems with the newer DLC maps about FPS drops, something about rendering distances/animals staying in memory forever, but anything early-ish on in the launch is fine.

If you can pick up the lot for about 20 bucks it's worth it, the same for the the base game for about 6/7/8/10 bucks. You don't need more than that, but after you play you might want it.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

There needs to be a mod that makes your dog laugh at you when you shoot at a duck and miss.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

There needs to be a mod that makes your dog laugh at you when you shoot at a duck and miss.

A Player 2 mode where they just send roe deer running over you. Tens of roe deer. "Aha! I can shoot this little idiot!"

She and her thirty buddies trample you to death. They're outside your tent like a zombie horde. "I can shoot them from here!" *You ready your gun.* It gets caught on a zipper.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Freudian slippers posted:

If I were starting over from scratch, I'd start by hunting roe deer in the open fields on Hirschfelden in their eating time (0500-0800 and 1700-200) and whitetail while they're drinking along the western waterways on Layton (start south and walk north) from 0500-0800.

There are tons of guides showing you the optimal time and place to hunt certain prey and finding animals become trivial after a while. The only challenge eventually, is to find diamonds. Personally, I'm a huge fan of the mod found on Nexus (can't remember the name now) that increases view distance to 800 meters. It makes no sense to me that I can't see a giant moose standing in the open 430 meters away. That's the only mod I use, but I can't imagine playing without it.

Is it this mod? https://www.nexusmods.com/thehuntercallofthewild/mods/10
I'd love to use it as well, but apparently it makes some newer maps crash on load and birds don't spawn at all.

Kagrenac
Jan 14, 2017

Sininu posted:

Is it this mod? https://www.nexusmods.com/thehuntercallofthewild/mods/10
I'd love to use it as well, but apparently it makes some newer maps crash on load and birds don't spawn at all.

I've been using the 650 version of this mod and haven't had any problems. I haven't really spent any time hunting on the latest 2 maps but Rancho del Arroyo seemed fine in the bit of poking around I did.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009

Kagrenac posted:

I've been using the 650 version of this mod and haven't had any problems. I haven't really spent any time hunting on the latest 2 maps but Rancho del Arroyo seemed fine in the bit of poking around I did.

That's the one I use as well, though I use the 787 meter version and it works fine for me.

E: My longest shot with a vital hit is now 715 meters :haw:

Freudian slippers fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Nov 8, 2021

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

New update. They added some new account thing, some Great Ones and bugfixes

Avalanche posted:

Introducing APEX Connect! With Apex Connect, you become part of our special circle of friends. Sign up for in-game rewards, unique game features, and never miss an update! Read the full FAQ here.
There’s a new Great One roaming certain Reserves. Share your search with us on social media and the official Discord!

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Nov 11, 2021

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009

The GO appears to be bugged. Three of them have been found already and they seem to spawn dead. Another EW success story!

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

The new reserve with Gators and racoons is in, seems buggy apparently broke some stuff

and they're running some kind of contest

https://twitter.com/theHunterCOTW/status/1468230654378889226?s=20

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Is anyone else suddenly getting crash-to-desktop on main menu load? Happening to me every time. Rebooting, verifying cache, etc. not making any difference.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Eric the Mauve posted:

Is anyone else suddenly getting crash-to-desktop on main menu load? Happening to me every time. Rebooting, verifying cache, etc. not making any difference.

Were you using the range mod? If so you probably need to grab the latest version
Had the same problem the other day was super confused till I remembered to check my launch options.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Feb 27, 2022

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Bingo, you got it in one. Thanks :cheers:

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009

Me too :) Imagine if EW could just increase the view range in the base game so we didn't have to rely on mods for basic realism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Been getting in to this game. I bounced off it before because I couldn't find any animals, but now I know what I'm doing and more patient in general.

A gold Red Deer with a huge rack was coming towards me on Colinas and I spent like 15 minutes going low and slow, waiting for the perfect shot instead of rushing it. Got an instant kill at 50m. I can see why people made headdresses from the antlers, seeing those things coming towards you in the dusk is genuinely eerie.