Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

loving hell I just googled the info about the Brutal Doom creator and ended up reading a reddit thread about him. Christ, what an rear end in a top hat - and so many people who defend him as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Palpek posted:

Quake was cool but its biggest selling point was multiplayer imo. It was the first id game to nail it and show what's yet to come, it was basically the first big quality jump that showed that multiplayer-only FPSes could become a thing. And goddamn I was coming back to it even when being hooked on Q3.

Quakeworld was incredible but I think you're underselling just how much of a jump it was to have proper full 3D (with physics!) that felt so physical and present. Add in the stylistic and audio choices and it was a paradigm shift for the genre.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Palpek posted:

Don't get me wrong, I get the jump, I was playing the game at release. It's just that after all these years people who play the campaign for the first time tend to not be aware of how groundbreaking multiplayer in Q1 and Q2 was and how Q3 going multiplayer only was an evolution of that progress. So while the singleplayer may seem old the multiplayer mode kicks rear end even today.

Yeah fair enough, can't argue with that.