Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I didn't see a thread for this and I think it needs one as the game is gaining a lot of praise.

It's a PC retro FPS from the devs that made Return of the Triad and producers of Dusk. But wait! It's basically Quake reborn in a Heretic/Hexen skin for the new ages in HD. It's fast-paced and still feels old-school when it comes to mechanics, sounds and the visual style.

From the game's Steam page:
  • SEVEN distinct episodes each featuring a completely different setting and enemies
  • LUDICROUS magical weaponry that can be overcharged with the souls of the dead
  • ENDLESS Hordes of Evil to hone your skills against
  • BRUTAL and adaptive enemy AI that will hunt you down on land, sea and air
  • SPRAWLING non-linear levels filled with secrets and ancient lore
  • MULTITUDES of in-game options + cheat codes for a truly golden PC age experience
  • EPIC original & dynamic soundtrack composed by Andrew Hulshult
  • BUILT in Unreal Engine 4 for cutting edge visuals (even if they are a bit retro)
  • OPTIMIZED to run on a toaster (a pretty nice toaster)

Have a trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBlTTW3RRtw

Have some gameplay (skip to 3:25 to see action):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Xdy-9poImw

Have some screenshots:

Those who already played this game share your thoughts.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jul 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Palpek posted:

Those who already played this game share your thoughts.
It's good, OP.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb
"makes my d*ck hard enough to cut glass" - Civvie 11

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxCISDFGPaw

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

I was willing to check out this game the moment I heard there was a weapon that pulled planets out of space and time, miniaturized them, and launches them at enemies. When powered up, it launches stars. Then I found other weapons that were even cooler.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's more like Quake with fantasy weapons than Hexen. Anyway, it owns.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

exquisite tea posted:

It's more like Quake with fantasy weapons than Hexen. Anyway, it owns.
Ok, I was repeating what the devs wrote about the game. I changed the thread title.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
if you haven't already please fire the seventh weapon in soul mode and then walk into the projectile

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Got this during the Summer Sale and it's a blast! The weapons really stand out. The level designs are getting funkier too...

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Make you sure to pick up the DUSK/AMID EVIL bundle if you don't have both games, because they're both great. Even if you have DUSK you get a bit of a discount.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

I still haven't finished this. Got to the last ep and, ehhhh

The weapons are cool as poo poo. Ep 6 is by far the best of the lot. A couple of the others have a bit too much platforming for my taste, and some sequences where you're fighting multiple enemies while standing on a plank, which is a pain.

E: I really enjoyed the secret hunting too.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I really enjoyed most of the game, but episode 7 is turning out to be a lot harder than the rest of the game and I'm not really enjoying it as much. It's still a great game just by virtue of how good everything was up until this point, but I can't help but be a little disappointed.

Atoramos posted:

I was willing to check out this game the moment I heard there was a weapon that pulled planets out of space and time, miniaturized them, and launches them at enemies. When powered up, it launches stars. Then I found other weapons that were even cooler.

That mace. :black101:

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

I just hit Ep.6 and, goodness, this game is beautiful. The forges got kind of annoying after a while with all the platforming but these levels are just fantastic, I love the visual style and impossible spaces in this episode.

I'm definitely going to go back through after I finish in warrior mode, with how the weapons are given out in each level it feels like the way the game was meant to be played.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

little tip: you might assume that the early weapons are weak, and ditch them at the earliest opportunity.

They're really, really not.

The Axe of the Black Labyrinth can kill at least half of the game's enemies in one or two hits; stronger enemies like Apostles of the Moon will die in five or six. You don't want to use the Axe at point-blank like a typical melee weapon, because most enemies will get a hit in before you chop them up. Instead, get something right in your crosshairs at about 10 or 15 paces and then attack. Your target will be yanked right into your swing, which has the added advantages of 1) stunning it for a moment and preventing its own attack, and 2) making a cool rear end noise.

The Staff of the Azure Orb is your pistol weapon, but its double fire makes it more like a machinegun. Because of its homing shots the Staff is one of your best tools against small twitchy fliers, and since it's water magic it'll wreck enemies that are made of fire.

I strongly recommend starting on Hard difficulty, even if you're new to the game. The biggest change Hard makes is more enemies, which just means more fun! :black101: You can go back to the starting area and change difficulties at any time.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jul 12, 2019

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
im playing on the secret difficulty level underneath the tutorial area, but it doesn’t list how it changes the game so i’m not actually sure how it compares to the other difficulties

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Rank ur episodes

(high to low)

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Venuz Patrol posted:

im playing on the secret difficulty level underneath the tutorial area, but it doesn’t list how it changes the game so i’m not actually sure how it compares to the other difficulties

More, tougher, faster enemies, and fewer pickups. There are a few other changes; Solegionaires will always block and Sons of the Scrounge will always spawn from their host enemies.

Mordja posted:

Rank ur episodes

(high to low)

The Arcane Expanse is absolutely gorgeous but Acrobats are the bane of my life :argh: They just hit so loving hard.

I'd probably rate Domain of the Sentinels a bit higher, mostly because of this bitchin' track and because it's got your first Star of Torment and Aeturnum.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jul 12, 2019

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Hwurmp posted:

I'd probably rate Domain of the Sentinels a bit higher, mostly because of this bitchin' track and because it's got your first Star of Torment and Aeturnum.

god I love the music in this game SO loving MUCH
edit: it's on spotify loving yes

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Mordja posted:

Rank ur episodes

(high to low)

7,4,6,3,5,1,2 I guess

like Hwurmp drat the movement flow in 6. The Forges were not really good either but more interesting as the first levels and just a beautiy to look at

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Sestze posted:

"makes my d*ck hard enough to cut glass" - Civvie 11

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxCISDFGPaw

Everyone in the Early FPS thread knows him, but all Goons should know and watch Civvie.

Piggybacking on what hwurmp said, different weapons have different uses, and are each useful in their own way:

Staff of the Azure Orb: Homes in. Great for flying enemies, but you can also snipe across the map with it or shoot around cover if you're good enough. Great for the rare times you're fighting underwater enemies, too.

Whisper's Edge: Can potentially hit multiple weaker enemies, which makes it great for crowd control. It can also destroy certain projectiles. Its power attack is great for hallways, tight rooms, and shielded enemies.

Voltride: Every time I hear someone saying they're having a really tough time, odds are they're not using this one enough. It has two big advantages: Chain lightning and stunlocking. You can activate chain lightning by overkilling an enemy, which means you keep hitting them after they die (it's super easy to pull this off when you activate its power mode). The real showstopper for higher difficulties though is its stunlocking. It makes a lot of pain in the rear end enemies much easier to deal with when you don't have their nasty attacks hitting you. This is most useful against those grappling enemies and the orbs in the final episode.

Celestial claw is a bit underwhelming, but is good for insta-deleting mid-tier enemies so you can focus on other mobs. It's also going to require the same amount of direct hits of the same enemy type so you can just go "One two three okay on to the next guy."

Star of Torment: An absolute monster. It blows through mana, but it'll kill low to mid-tier enemies in one or two hits, and fires faster than the Celestial Claw. Its power attack is the most vicious in the game, throwing out homing powered-up projectiles that kill nearly anything in one hit and melt bosses.

Aeternum: It's the BFG. It acts in a similar way in that once it hits its final destination, it'll auto damage and (usually) kill anything within range. Its power attack creates a black hole that will suck in everything and insta-kill it (save for bosses). The power attack is most useful for when you are facing a large group of spread-out enemies that are surrounding you.

One more tip is to not be stingy with ammo, because the game sure isn't. The only time I ran into ammo issues was when I was using the Star too much and would run out of green mana. Meanwhile, I noticed how many times I was ending episodes with full Aeternum or Claw ammo and decided to go ham with those two much more often, and it made the game more manageable in the tougher spots.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jul 12, 2019

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Plan Z posted:

Celestial claw is a bit underwhelming, but is good for insta-deleting mid-tier enemies so you can focus on other mobs. It's also going to require the same amount of direct hits of the same enemy type so you can just go "One two three okay on to the next guy."
Claw is unfathomably good for just ignoring certain platforming sections. It has limited splash that affects you, so you can rocket jump around certain areas that would be normally a pain in the rear end. I used it liberally during some of the temple levels as well as during the forge levels to avoid traps (the spike halls, for example, are trivialized by simply rocket jumping past half the bullshit spikes that the game's requiring you to tangle with)

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I picked this up during the Steam sale and I'm really digging it, like everyone else here. It get's compared a lot to DUSK, and I honestly prefer AE more just from the aesthetics. The color palette gives me a real strong Unreal vibe.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

dusk is the better game but amid evil is no question much prettier. i really dug it and wish more people were making games in this vein of this quality. poo poo, i'd take games half as good.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Also worth pointing out the publisher, New Blood. The owner, Dave Oshry is a huge turbonerd who loves games. So far they've published nothing but gold:

DUSK: https://store.steampowered.com/app/519860/DUSK/

AMID EVIL: https://store.steampowered.com/app/673130/AMID_EVIL/

Super Galaxy Squadron Turbo: https://store.steampowered.com/app/345860/Super_Galaxy_Squadron_EX_Turbo/?curator_clanid=6856383

Unfortunate Spacemen: https://store.steampowered.com/app/408900/Unfortunate_Spacemen/?curator_clanid=6856383#app_reviews_hash

Maximum Action: https://store.steampowered.com/app/853770/MAXIMUM_Action/?curator_clanid=6856383

The one I'm most looking forward to is Tonight We Riot, a Pikmin/Okhlos-like about fighting the capitalist power structure and its giant mutated pet crabs.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
for a quake-like this game has very powerful Gauntlet energy

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Mordja posted:

Rank ur episodes

(high to low)

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Mordja posted:

Rank ur episodes

(high to low)

Arcane Expanse
Domain of the Sentinels
Abyss
Solar Solstice
Astral Equinox
Sacred Path
Forges

Idk where you guys are getting the numbers

Groovelord Neato posted:

dusk is the better game but amid evil is no question much prettier. i really dug it and wish more people were making games in this vein of this quality. poo poo, i'd take games half as good.

Its hard for me to choose between them because Dusk's biggest downside are the weapons are kind of whatever and AE has very cool weapons but on the other hand the movement in Dusk is just amazing

MMF Freeway fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jul 12, 2019

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

MMF Freeway posted:

Its hard for me to choose between them because Dusk's biggest downside are the weapons are kind of whatever and AE has very cool weapons but on the other hand the movement in Dusk is just amazing
For me Dusk wins out because Amid Evil has got some real slippery platforming while Dusk has none. As I said though Amid Evil is great.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

MMF Freeway posted:

Arcane Expanse
Domain of the Sentinels
Abyss
Solar Solstice
Astral Equinox
Sacred Path
Forges
There's an "official" order to them, you can find it on the wiki. For me E1 and E2 are really neck in neck, it's just that E1's a really strong start that really sets the tone for the rest of the game.

Accordion Man posted:

For me Dusk wins out because Amid Evil has got some real slippery platforming while Dusk has none. As I said though Amid Evil is great.
Yeah, DUSK definitely has better movement and AE's jump is honestly kinda pathetic. It's also just really memorable the whole way through (don't much like Brimstone Ghetto tho) and while each episode of AE is thematically unique, individual levels tend to blur together just a little bit. AE definitely wins in the visual department, and its weapons look and feel better. I'd say both games are about even when it comes to their bestiaries, though of course AE's unique monsterset per episode is real cool.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Yeah, Amid Evil's enemy variety is one of its biggest strongpoints.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I've never played Quake but I love its older brother DOOM and I'm eager to shoot mans so I'm probably gonna download and slam this poo poo in my eyesockets all weekend.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I played Brutal Doom to death until I learned that the creator was a monumentally disturbing person, and now it gives me kind of a bad taste in the mouth.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

100 degrees Calcium posted:

I've never played Quake but I love its older brother DOOM and I'm eager to shoot mans so I'm probably gonna download and slam this poo poo in my eyesockets all weekend.

Quake holds up pretty well. Definitely worth a try if you like shooters from that era.

Just avoid the mission packs. They're not good.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

ultrafilter posted:

Quake holds up pretty well. Definitely worth a try if you like shooters from that era.
Seconding this because I just recently bought and beat Quake 1 during the Steam Summer Sale.

I'm still more of a Doom fan though.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I always overthink this poo poo. Should I play Quake first or does it particularly matter?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It doesn't matter at all. They're both good games and you should play them both.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I never got into Quake. From what I remember I had problems with how bullet spongy the enemies were. Ooooof course, the last time I tried playing it was probably over a decade ago and I also only got into Doom a couple years ago, so maybe I was just dumb.

Wizard Whateley
Apr 12, 2002

I am a bootlicking scab who loves seeing people be paid less than living wages. If the workers don't like it they should just kill themselves. Let me know who is organizing so I can report them to management. I pine for the days of the Pinkertons.
Only found out about this game because of this thread. This turned out to be the biggest itch I didn't know needed scratching. Bought both this and Dusk and have been bouncing between the two. Enjoying them both immensely. Both games are like some bizarre amalgamation of every major FPS between Doom and Blood.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

Black Griffon posted:

I played Brutal Doom to death until I learned that the creator was a monumentally disturbing person, and now it gives me kind of a bad taste in the mouth.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

loving hell I just googled the info about the Brutal Doom creator and ended up reading a reddit thread about him. Christ, what an rear end in a top hat - and so many people who defend him as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

admataY
Oct 16, 2008
I really loved AMID EVIL , but between the obvious comparisons to HEXEN and QUAKE I think there is a very obvious PAINKILLER influence in the mix - stuff like a small number of weapons but each is super useful in its own way, or the the collect souls to fill a bar that let you unleash a strategic " gently caress everyone" extra damage mode .

Oh, and one little oddity , im not sure what was up with that final boss. Gaming trained me to assume there is some special method to beating him, what with the special looking pyres in the 4 corners of the arena , each burning in a color similar to one of the boss's special attacks .
I just ignored all that and emptied all my ammo in it untill it died .

admataY fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Jul 13, 2019