Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I really enjoyed most of the game, but episode 7 is turning out to be a lot harder than the rest of the game and I'm not really enjoying it as much. It's still a great game just by virtue of how good everything was up until this point, but I can't help but be a little disappointed.

Atoramos posted:

I was willing to check out this game the moment I heard there was a weapon that pulled planets out of space and time, miniaturized them, and launches them at enemies. When powered up, it launches stars. Then I found other weapons that were even cooler.

That mace. :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

100 degrees Calcium posted:

I've never played Quake but I love its older brother DOOM and I'm eager to shoot mans so I'm probably gonna download and slam this poo poo in my eyesockets all weekend.

Quake holds up pretty well. Definitely worth a try if you like shooters from that era.

Just avoid the mission packs. They're not good.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It doesn't matter at all. They're both good games and you should play them both.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Heretic holds up pretty well these days because it's so simple. It's basically a reskin of Doom with some quality of life improvements like an inventory, and that makes it really easy to like.

Hexen is a much more complicated game, and while I think it was a fairly important step in the evolutionary tree of gaming, it just didn't age well. The Deathkings of the Dark Citadel is more of the same but harder, so it's kinda hard to recommend.

I haven't played Hexen II in a long time, but I remember thinking it wasn't quite as good as the original game when it first came out. I actually bought a copy from Steam, but it won't launch, and I'm not particularly motivated to find out the issue.

I remember liking Heretic II, but that's abandonware and not legally available (if you care about that sort of thing).

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I think Hexen 2 supported a third person view, but Heretic 2 required it. I seem to recall that it was pretty heavily influenced by Tomb Raider.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I wasn't that thrilled with the Forges overall, but there was a moment in the first level where I looked up and realized that there was a giant structure half-hidden in the fog that I didn't know about, and that really felt good.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

goatsestretchgoals posted:

E: First bro handed me 3.5s containing DOOM shareware and also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_of_the_Winds.

Castle of the Winds was a great game back then. I never bought the second episode so I was pretty excited when the author put it out for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I regret not using the powered mace more often. That's some next-level destruction.