Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

goatsestretchgoals posted:

I remember trying to play pre-QW Quake online at my buddy's house* and it was a giant pile of poo poo on a 28.8(?) modem. We remember rubber banding, but OG quake.exe would just reposition you, or fail to respond to input for seconds at a time.

*My mom told me I couldn't hold up the phone line playing C&C1 with a different classmate.

E: First bro handed me 3.5s containing DOOM shareware and also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_of_the_Winds. Mid 90s owned, even if you didn't have the interwebs yet.

(Don't) Ask me about Trumpet Winsock connect scripts to a University connect.

I bought the Quake demo for five bucks from Best Buy. It ran like poo poo on my mom's 486 BUT a friend I had shared it with gave me a crack that gave me the full versions of basically all of ID's software (full versions of everything were on the cd), most of which ran pretty ok. I felt like a god. A morally vacant, completely unrepentant god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
My memories of seeing episode 2 of Heretic for free after two years of playing episode 1 over and over again because I was a kid and my parents were cheap have kept me better these last couple decades than any faith in man or god ever could.