Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Thirsty Dog posted:

Quakeworld was incredible but I think you're underselling just how much of a jump it was to have proper full 3D (with physics!) that felt so physical and present. Add in the stylistic and audio choices and it was a paradigm shift for the genre.

Quakeworld wasn't even available at initial retail release was it?

I remember playing quakeworld and using gamespy to find matches, such a far cry from how things are today.

The biggest thing I remember about classic FPS back then was having to be sure to install v2.11b_to_v2.13c.exe before you install v2.13_to_v2.14.exe and patch each game version by version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Black Griffon posted:

I dug these up from the Game Grave of hidden games on steam, got them in this insane mega-pack I bought, well, twelve loving years ago, apparently. Which should I pick first?

Doom, then Heretic, then Quake, then Hexen

Black Griffon posted:

I've played a whole lot of Doom in my life, so the question then is what Doom to choose (missed Doom II and Final Doom in my previous screenshot).

Doom 1 (1-3)

Doom 2

Doom 1 (4) Ultimate Doom

After that, start playing WADs. Final Doom is basically an official WAD, 'sokay IMO.

Go here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3420790

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Yeah, I really like Heretic because its just a Doom WAD total conversion, but it plays exactly like Doom. Every gun is a doom gun reskin. It adds a couple fun things though, but maybe not quite as good as Doom.

Hexen tries to do more and the back-tracking gets absurd at a certain point, so you have to look up a gamefaq because you missed a switch 2 levels ago. Hub worlds are cool but this was too rudimentary.

Hexen should be played and experienced, but I wouldn't necessarily worry about beating it.

Was it Heretic 2 or Hexen 2 that was a 3rd person hack and slash? I couldn't get into that one. That era of 3rd person action games was just maximum janky.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

wafflemoose posted:

It still hurts my brain that the weapon models are sprites and not 3D polygons

I mean, they're not hand-drawn sprites, so they're just pre-computed polygons. They're basically billboards, to borrow from another 3D rendering technique.

The real-time lighting on pre-rendered sprites thing is so slick though. Its been something taking indie 2d games by storm lately, but seeing it used in a 3D game is pretty wild. (Can't imagine how it'd come up outside of an intentionally retro game like this)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Mordja posted:

It's definitely a case of doing something just to prove you can, because I can't think of any reason they wouldn't have just used models otherwise.

Yeah I can't really think of a reason you'd need to, modern computers don't exactly need you to cut corners on rendering view models, especially with poly counts like this game has.

And you'd think you could achieve the same result rendering in real-time and down-scaling the image using a shader to have it look pixelated, but IDK, I'm not an artist, I may be overlooking something subtle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Somfin posted:

You could achieve a similar effect, but the main thing they were going for was that sense of the item being drawn to the screen arbitrarily as a sprite rather than existing in the world. Part of that is the fact that the item doesn't just not move, it very much does not move. If you put it in the world as a 3D object, you would have to do all sorts of bullshit to make sure it never, ever, ever twists relative to the camera, and with the bobbing motion they put them through, that just isn't possible.

I dunno about that. You can have the weapon in an entirely different screen space and render it to texture and then draw it over the screen in a separate pass. It would then NEVER move and appear just like a texture for all intents and purposes.

But like I said, there's probably something subtle I'm overlooking. With that approach you'd be dependent upon checking the output if nothing else, where this way they can literally just look at the sprites and manually adjust pixels by hand if they really, really wanted to.

But by-hand pixel adjustment is the only advantage I can think of.