Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Make you sure to pick up the DUSK/AMID EVIL bundle if you don't have both games, because they're both great. Even if you have DUSK you get a bit of a discount.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

MMF Freeway posted:

Its hard for me to choose between them because Dusk's biggest downside are the weapons are kind of whatever and AE has very cool weapons but on the other hand the movement in Dusk is just amazing
For me Dusk wins out because Amid Evil has got some real slippery platforming while Dusk has none. As I said though Amid Evil is great.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Yeah, Amid Evil's enemy variety is one of its biggest strongpoints.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

ultrafilter posted:

Quake holds up pretty well. Definitely worth a try if you like shooters from that era.
Seconding this because I just recently bought and beat Quake 1 during the Steam Summer Sale.

I'm still more of a Doom fan though.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Its more of the problem that the jump physics feel really slippery. Dusk and Ion Maiden's jumping doesn't have that problem.

The Forges' level design isn't bad fundamentally at all.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Start with Doom.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Start with Ultimate Doom 1, than Doom 2. Final Doom is meh, because while Evilution is solid Plutonia is just straight up bad.

Then once you beat Doom 2, go on to Quake 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I really need to play through Heretic/Hexen, because I've been on a 90's FPS/throwback kick as of late, especially because I hadn't really played some of the classics, i.e. came back and beat Doom 2, completed Evilution, played through Quake 1 for the first time, replayed Blood again through the remaster.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jul 21, 2019