Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

quote:

Given
Lerche | Hikaru Yamaguchi | Yuniko Ayana | Music, Drama, Romance, Shounen Ai | Manga | Jul 12, 2019
"It's stuck deep inside me and I can't get it out of my head. Mafuyu's voice is an insane and dangerous weapon." That day, Ritsuka Uenoyama started to feel that playing the guitar and playing basketball, both of which he liked very much, were becoming boring. He then encounters Mafuyu Sato, who's holding onto a broken guitar, and decides to fix it. The moment Uenoyama finishes fixing the guitar, Mafuyu becomes completely attached to him. However, after hearing Mafuyu sing it leaves a deep impression on him.
PV

The boys in the band: Mafuyu Sato (guitar, vocals), Ritsuka Uenoyama (guitar), Haruki Nakayama (bass), Akihiko Kaji (drums)

Watch it on CR on Thursdays: https://www.crunchyroll.com/given

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jul 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
fujioshi k-on? lets get it

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I really enjoyed the first episode. It set things up pretty quickly I thought, we met pretty much everybody and got a good idea about what the show is going to be dealing with Mafuyu has really clearly not moved on from some tragic poo poo and that explains a lot about why he acts the way he does. The jam session was very fun, I love that they're actually referencing real musicians for the characters' movements, and the older guys being huge goofballs was very cute :3:

Hawke
May 1, 2008
First episode was just as enjoyable as I'd hoped it would be, looking forward to following it

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
I'm looking forward to watching the first episode when I get home Monday! Glad to hear positive impressions.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I don’t have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a dream for people like you. If you let my heart go now, that’ll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don’t, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will love you.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
enjoyed the first episode! Sato's a little weirder and the show's a little goofier than I expected tho. really interested to see where it goes.

i liked their jam session a lot and hope there's more music

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

We gotta get Wark watching this for gear breakdowns. That pedal box alone (and whether the sound is correct) would be a solid post.

Edit: On second watch they're all rather scrubbed of identifying information. The colors aren't quite enough and they've all got the same knobs. Oh well. They also all have a stomp switch instead of that old Boss lever style I thought I saw, but that was just the white tuner pedal turned backwards and it has the regular stomp switch too.

Double edit - Consulted with the comrade:

The colored pedals are MXR, just jumbled on the knobs and layout a little.

The white one is a TC Electronic Polytune.

The far left is a Strymon Timeline delay.

Triple edit: Forgot image. His wah pedal is a Dunlop Cry Baby, but I dunno what's up with the red between the ribs; maybe it's just artistic license.

Ultra edit: The Tone knob being on the left suggests Boss pedals, but we figure the distinctive style of a Boss pedal was left out for legal reasons. The colors and knobs match Boss pedals almost exactly, those being Tremolo, Distortion, and Blues Driver, so they're Boss pedals restyled to something generic. Boss is a Japanese company too, so getting dinged for trademark is definitely on the table there. The Blues Driver's Tone knob is in the wrong place, but it's safe to assume they just recolored the Distortion pedal where it's correct and left it in the same place.

But now he asks why someone who goes whole-hog on a Strymon Timeline would have Boss pedals ... unless they're boutique clones, but it also makes sense that he would build all this up over time, starting with cheaper pedals and then splurging on a delay/looper.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jul 14, 2019

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
:kimchi:

e: I don't really have a lot to say about episode 2, just that I love the interactions between all the guys and this slow buildup of friendship. I thought the interactions this time felt very "brotherly" like the two older guys sort of horsing around and watching over the two younger ones are like big brothers, and Uenoyama looking after Sato also felt like an older brother looking after a younger one even though they're the same age. That would also be sort of a different role for him since he's the younger sibling in his family so I though that was interesting. This might be the first time he's had to look after someone and take them under his wing, and it was very endearing the way he's ended up taking the teaching very seriously despite being reluctant to start it in the first place.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jul 18, 2019

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Ranzear posted:

We gotta get Wark watching this for gear breakdowns. That pedal box alone (and whether the sound is correct) would be a solid post.

The pedalboard is giving me a small panic attack. Like, it's common to move stuff around when you're on tour or what have you, but like 99% of the time, things are already assembled, patch and power cables are kept in place using duct-tape or plastic ties (or "sinchos", as we somewhat vulgarly call them in LatAm) and everything is connected to the power source because lol if you think you're getting enough time to set poo poo up outside of soundcheck (if you even get to do soundcheck).

And the pedals (from left to right) are:
  • Strymon Timeline: An insanely expensive piece of gear that's fun as hell to gently caress with, but most users would do just fine with an MXR carbon copy or something way less expensive/time-consuming.
  • TC Electronic PolyTune: Basically what's been supplanting the BOSS TU-2 as the standard tuner for live musicians (most guitar/bass techs still prefer the TU-2 and TU-3, though), since it allows you to tune a 6 string guitar in one go by strumming all the strings and then going from there. It's insanely quick, but the stomp switch was infamously unreliable in the earlier versions.
  • Was on the fence on the green one, but it's basically a TR-2 Tremolo from NOT-Boss with the inverted triangle controls. Probably because BOSS/Roland told the anime committee to gently caress off?
  • Another NOT-Boss knock off. The legendary DS-1 Distortion. Despite being one of the cheapest dirt boxes out there, they're stupidly reliable. I have one from like 97 that still works!
  • A NOT-Boss BD-2 Blues Driver with the controls slightly switched? Surprisingly sensible pedal for a rock band, to be honest! I'm guessing the guitar player is using it to have a multi-stage distortion/overdrive setup combined with the DS-1 and the amp's dirty channel. Or maybe the amp is whatever is on backline so that's why he has this to get "his" sound?
  • The pedal above the NOT-Boss trifecta is a Dunlop CryBaby Wah that's probably going to break because it's been like 50 years and lol people keep on buying these garbage pedals and :cripes:
  • The Power Source kinda reminds me of the T-Rex Fuel Tanks, but the cream-white color is kinda throwing me for a loop.

Maybe I should watch the show.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Wark Say posted:

Maybe I should watch the show.

You should!

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I surprised that 'new strings stretch' didn't get thrown in, but eh.

Less gear nerding this round. The job hunting bit was a ton of great characterization.

I expected to wait until episode 3 for the 'hook'.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
very cute, I love hair model haruki. sato and ueno are cute but im way more interested if he and kaji will get together

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
these two give me life

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Kaji recently dumped Uenoyama's sister. This was mentioned early in ep1.

Not that I'd mind if they did anyway.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
You make it sound like that's a hindrance when its literally a setup

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Hey I just wouldn't want Kaji rush into anything, alright? I don't want to see any unhealthy rebounds no matter how cute.

:unsmith:

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I like this cute show but I have to lol at practicing in the school hallways. I kinda expected them to play in band room due to the noise.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
well there is a music club so maybe that bunch has dibs on the official practice space (also are they possibly cutting class? hiding out in the hallway seems like a truancy thing)

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

i love my awkward son :3:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Uenoyama's face the entire time lmao

also poor Haruki, he has a hard row to hoe

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

given what

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
deez...nuts?

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
:toot:

https://twitter.com/SuBLimeManga/status/1157063486733611008?s=20

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Catching up (gonna watch ep 4 after work), but I really like how the show balances comedy and drama well.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, it's got some heavy themes sort of lurking under the surface but they don't feel oppressive because a large part of the show is the boys being goofs, it's a good mix

I haven't had a chance to watch ep 4 yet :negative:

Hawke
May 1, 2008
I look forward to watching this show so much, I live for Thursdays now

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
The first half of episode 5 and the twist at the commercial break is biggest gut punch i am loving screaming

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Expect My Mom posted:

The first half of episode 5 and the twist at the commercial break is biggest gut punch i am loving screaming

Well now the final half-hour at work is gonna be filled with me wondering "what happened???"

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
it's good, i like this show a lot, easily my favorite thing of the season

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaa

Goddammit woman.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I'm so cross with her.

Haruki making Akihiko wait outside for a second, not so he could clean up or anything, but just so he could gay scream in peace is so loving funny

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
This show is everything i always wanted.

SHOW CHECKLIST:

ANGST ( CHECK )
GAY ( CHECK )
MUSIC NERDERY ( CHECK )
ANIME CHARACTERS THAT ARENT HOMOGENOUS KIRITO BLOBS ( CHECK )
FANCY CAFE ( CHECK )
POMERANIANS ( CHECK )
PROPER USE OF CELLPHONES IN A SERIES ( CHECK )

Must See Tv Thursday is Back BAYBEE

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

huge guitar

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
wait.......... or tiny boy?

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
halp, sato smol
guitar beeg

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
i've been really disinterested in any BL besides Jealousy and Therapy Game but this was funny and had a guy with actual facial hair in it so maybe I will like it.

It helps that the older sisters voice is really hot, too.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

DisDisDis posted:

huge guitar
From my experience, we seem to be looking at a Gibson ES-339, which do have a bit more size to them that an average ES-335 (the most popular of the models) or a 336

DisDisDis posted:

wait.......... or tiny boy?

Talkc posted:

halp, sato smol
guitar beeg
This could also factor.

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!
Finally caught up with this, and I love it. Also it took me until episode 4 to realize the episode titles were songs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Little info on their names :3:

https://twitter.com/Gshock99/status/1163964965352398848?s=20