Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JD
Jan 11, 2003

Wark Say posted:

From my experience, we seem to be looking at a Gibson ES-339, which do have a bit more size to them that an average ES-335 (the most popular of the models) or a 336

This could also factor.

Pretty sure it's an ES-330, it's got dog ear p90s and the trapeze tail piece.

It's a pretty big guitar yeah

e: https://www.garysguitars.com/catalog/1961-gibson-es-330-cherry-red

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Dang, you might be right. 339's are traditionally hum guitars. Also forgot about the Trapeze bridge completely.

My e-pride as a gearhead! What am I to do? :negative:

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Someone will cosplay with the Ibanez clone and that's okay, because that Gibson is upwards of four grand :prepop:

Edit: I didn't know it was still made, but it's still $2400 new.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Aug 22, 2019

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Cute episode :3:

I love everyone.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
finally had enough internet to start catching up

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
pretty cool that Haruki straight out says he's in love with Akihiko :kimchi:

Expect My Mom posted:

Haruki making Akihiko wait outside for a second, not so he could clean up or anything, but just so he could gay scream in peace is so loving funny

I died

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
so this doesn't get lost in the season thread

Expect My Mom posted:

finally found a video of it because i dont know how to make one

https://twitter.com/mafuyuukis/status/1164642268785123334

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
Was having a conversation about this with my friends. I am floored by this show not being yaoi crap fluff but actually normalizing queer characters within a context of being people.

Almost never thought id live to see the day.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/zeido__/status/1169648262019801091?s=19

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

I may have yelled loudly during everything involving those strings.

Still a good episode.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
I love this big gay show!

Automatonic Water
Jul 8, 2012

dig thru the ditches
and burn thru the witches
and slam in the back of my.........
.........DRAGULA

Yams Fan

kayakyakr posted:

I love this big gay show!

me too!!!!!

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
This show does things with its dialog, concerning various topics, ranging from loss, queer relationships, and just feelings about relationships that are so honest and true and grounded that it honestly shocks me.

Cronodoculous
Jun 29, 2006

You light up my life

This show has some powerful, meaningful looks

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I haven't seen this in the wild because I don't follow insane people but my tl this morning was het up about people hating Uenoyama for some reason. I guess they're mad that Mafuyu is moving on? I have no idea. I also don't know how widespread is it -- I'm a couple episodes behind thanks to my internet being too lovely to stream so to avoid too many spoilers I haven't searched for any Given ~discourse~ outside of just what I see from people I follow.

However! I'm going to talk about it anyway :grin:

This kind of goes toward the romanticization of a type of relationship I see sometimes in romance manga or just romance in general that I find very unhealthy and dislike quite a bit, and that is the Soulmate relationship. Generally the setting is high school or a similar setting, where two (very young) people meet who are Destined For Each Other and will never have another love as pure or right as this one ever again in their entire lives. If this is a tragic story (such as with Mafuyu and Yuki) then one of them will die and the one left behind will hold a torch for the rest of eternity until they also die and can be reunited with their One True Love.

Folks this is extremely gross to me, because it dooms the person who doesn't die to a faded half-life where they will never interact with another human person on an intimate level for as long as they live. It's cruel. Turning this into a fairy tale romantic thing glosses over how utterly depressing and sad that kind of life would be. A much more engaging story is one like Given is telling, where a person who has suffered this deep tragedy acknowledges their loss and processes it and is able to move forward and find a new love. They don't stop loving the person they lost, but that person is literally dead and doesn't need their loyalty. Remember them -- honor their memory, celebrate their life, but that person doesn't need another living human to turn their entire life into a creepy, morbid shrine to their existence.

I'm speculating since I haven't seen the actual posts that people on my tl were talking about, but I suspect these folks are mad at Uenoyama for "stealing" Mafuyu from Yuki. It disturbs me a bit that this is what they're taking from the story (if that is the case) and that they would want to force Mafuyu into that existence of turning his entire life into a memorial to Yuki and never move on. That is literally the opposite of what the story is about!!

Has anyone seen anything about this elsewhere online? I'm really not sure where the discourse is happening other than on twitter or tumblr and I don't circulate in the right zones to see it apparently (and don't really want to lol).

Slithy Toves
Oct 29, 2007
"Somehow it seems to fill my head with ideas--only I don't exactly know what they are!"

Everything Burrito posted:

Has anyone seen anything about this elsewhere online? I'm really not sure where the discourse is happening other than on twitter or tumblr and I don't circulate in the right zones to see it apparently (and don't really want to lol).

I've seen a milder version of this on Twitter (basically "I really think it's wrong and unrealistic that Mafuyu is moving on to a new guy so quickly :////" which is no less confusing and bizarre), but most of the ~discourse~ I've had to see re: this series has been of the "guys DO NOT watch or read Given the author is PROBLEMATIC and A PEDOPHILE who FETISHIZES GAY MEN because she wrote BL doujinshi about Haikyuu!! characters" variety. But likewise, I don't follow anyone in those circles so I'm mostly just seeing people mock those posts.

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!
I've seen a couple things along those lines, but not that many. Mostly on Mangago, not Twitter. Most people seem to get it. There are a number of people who totally love Yuki, which feels weird to me because I just don't think he gets enough screen time to really be understood.

This thread was pretty thoughtful, but prob shouldn't read it until you catch up:
https://twitter.com/mudasquared/status/1169963820221194240

Episode 9 was amazingly well done.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!

Everything Burrito posted:

I haven't seen this in the wild because I don't follow insane people but my tl this morning was het up about people hating Uenoyama for some reason. I guess they're mad that Mafuyu is moving on? I have no idea. I also don't know how widespread is it -- I'm a couple episodes behind thanks to my internet being too lovely to stream so to avoid too many spoilers I haven't searched for any Given ~discourse~ outside of just what I see from people I follow.

However! I'm going to talk about it anyway :grin:

This kind of goes toward the romanticization of a type of relationship I see sometimes in romance manga or just romance in general that I find very unhealthy and dislike quite a bit, and that is the Soulmate relationship. Generally the setting is high school or a similar setting, where two (very young) people meet who are Destined For Each Other and will never have another love as pure or right as this one ever again in their entire lives. If this is a tragic story (such as with Mafuyu and Yuki) then one of them will die and the one left behind will hold a torch for the rest of eternity until they also die and can be reunited with their One True Love.

Folks this is extremely gross to me, because it dooms the person who doesn't die to a faded half-life where they will never interact with another human person on an intimate level for as long as they live. It's cruel. Turning this into a fairy tale romantic thing glosses over how utterly depressing and sad that kind of life would be. A much more engaging story is one like Given is telling, where a person who has suffered this deep tragedy acknowledges their loss and processes it and is able to move forward and find a new love. They don't stop loving the person they lost, but that person is literally dead and doesn't need their loyalty. Remember them -- honor their memory, celebrate their life, but that person doesn't need another living human to turn their entire life into a creepy, morbid shrine to their existence.

I'm speculating since I haven't seen the actual posts that people on my tl were talking about, but I suspect these folks are mad at Uenoyama for "stealing" Mafuyu from Yuki. It disturbs me a bit that this is what they're taking from the story (if that is the case) and that they would want to force Mafuyu into that existence of turning his entire life into a memorial to Yuki and never move on. That is literally the opposite of what the story is about!!

:staredog: what the even gently caress sorta take is that? is this some creepy yaoi fan thing? like seriously?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
jealous of seeing any talk about this show at all honestly, no one I know is watching it.

im too worn down to engage with any of those arguments so I won't, but this show rules. gonna catch up tonight

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
So uh.... started reading the manga as of the last 2 hours. Not to go into any spoiler territory other than to say the author rules, this show rules, the manga rules.

Some differences in the show and manga are that the show actually puts in a lot MORE details in than the manga does. Obv the music for one, but also side characters are more fleshed out and little scenes here and there are added to flesh things out more. Other than that so far the anime is extremely ( EXTREMELY ) faithful. Right down to panel by panel details. Though it does rearrange the order of some things to make pacing work better.

This has honestly become very quickly one of my favorite pieces of media ive ever consumed.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Kusaru posted:

I've seen a couple things along those lines, but not that many. Mostly on Mangago, not Twitter. Most people seem to get it. There are a number of people who totally love Yuki, which feels weird to me because I just don't think he gets enough screen time to really be understood.

This thread was pretty thoughtful, but prob shouldn't read it until you catch up:
Episode 9 was amazingly well done.
Thanks, I'll check out that thread once I get a chance to catch up. Honestly I did not even think to look at mangago and see what they were saying there, I've seen some pretty asinine opinions posted there but also some decent ones, it's an interesting mix; you have a lot of really young fans reading stuff there and I kinda suspect that's where some of the more :stare: opinions come from, but can you expect a reasonable and informed opinion from a literal child? Probably not.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Sep 10, 2019

theGrooseofLegend
Dec 29, 2013
That one girl silently realizing what the song was about always gets me when rewatching the scene

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

:same:

It's a great show w/unique themes but no one Ik is watching it either. Agreed with dead SO stories where the MC never moves on is depressing. I'm less interested in Together Forever stories than stories where the MC overcomes their problems and moves on with his life.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
just watched 8-10 back to back and whew what a ride

I got chills when Mafuyu finally started singing, and the confession at the end of 10, he was so cute and happy :kimchi:

e: read through that twitter thread posted earlier and it has some really good points, especially about Mafuyu & Yuki, I hadn't even noticed the thing with their footprints

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Sep 12, 2019

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
this is so cute :3: it's their account

https://twitter.com/_given_info/status/1172162978084311040?s=20

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!
In ep 10, I loved how Mafuyu picked a place he had never visited to confess, giving Uenoyama one of his ‘firsts.’ I think the confession itself may count as one, too.

The first comment is the guy who does the show’s band music (dunno about background stuff) saying he saw their concert and it was good.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://twitter.com/tetchuu/status/1172454435525521408?s=20

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
I watched up through ep 5 last night, and this show is very good. I'm gonna catch all the way up Sunday night.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I was a week behind. Episode 9 just about broke me in half. I knew it was coming when the mic was still on stage, but so far beyond the humming and la-las did that vocal deliver on Mafuyu being able to sing. All of the playing and even the lip sync was accurate and this was solid use of CG to achieve it.

I don't think I've ever seen a theme pile pile on in so many ways like that - "It's right there in front of you. Just go for it."

Also when Ueno goes back on stage the song is actually the other song they wrote. I didn't even notice you could hear it in the background the first time.

Episode 10: The best faces this episode, but the rewind-realization and resulting question gets definitively answered by the end. I didn't realize it was a different beach at first, but didn't figure Mafuyu was lying either.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
the rewind scene was gold

I'm still thinking about that scream in episode 9 though, literally gave me chills
Mafuyu transforms from gormless baby chick to this loving rock star pouring out raw emotion, it's so powerful

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I'm still, overnight, trying to process episode 9. Not necessarily having to do with grief or loss or anything, but it screams at me that someone behind this understands not being able to express complex emotions without an outlet that can handle them. Holding back emotions causes one to hold back a lot of other stuff too.

Anyone else do that thing where you sorta superficially attach yourself to a character in a story as a way to be closer to it? I couldn't have been more wrong with my initial pick.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://twitter.com/tattsunss/status/1173028261527339008?s=20

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

https://twitter.com/evandro_pedro96/status/1174400038824529920?s=20

Only 11 episodes. Huh.

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!

Yeah, but there's totttaaallllyyy enough manga for a second season! :pray:

I'm both very excited for the next episode and sad I won't have this show to look forward to next week.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
yeah I'm really hoping that thing people said was a hook for another plot arc in the manga was a setup for a second season

I haven't read the manga so no details but I gathered from seeing people talk about it that Ugetsu pulls some poo poo and his dialogue in ep.10 was referring to this

I feel like a lot of stuff around the periphery of the main story the anime was covering (between Mafuyu and Uenoyama) is going to feel left hanging and I guess that's a pretty strong message to go read the manga if you want to get more closure and while I intend to do that, I also want more anime!!

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Sep 18, 2019

Slithy Toves
Oct 29, 2007
"Somehow it seems to fill my head with ideas--only I don't exactly know what they are!"
The manga has a really, really good stopping point for a second season already so I'm just hoping for an announcement. I was so impressed with this adaptation.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
GOOD NEWS! (with permission from Ibbs', on the Summer Thread)

Ibblebibble posted:

https://twitter.com/pkjd8I8/status/1174724202978398208?s=20

I would put this in the Given thread but I still need to catch up myself, anyone kind enough to repost this there? :v:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
:woop:

I'd love a second season but heck I'll take a movie

FYI Blue Lynx is a BL-only label, they're also putting out the Twittering Birds Never Fly movie

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I read the manga and it's good. I liked how the anime handled alot of key scenes and a movie is great news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Ueno had me worried for a sec that he was gonna bottle it up and play it off.

And then they handled it with sense and disclosure like responsible almost-adults.

What is this series? It's too goddamn sensible!