Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Hoofta, is that because they had a broadcast schedule to accommodate or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
I imagine when all your biggest players are approaching the matter with a “burn this poo poo down” mentality, that really is the absolute least they can do

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Look, equality means the right to be insufferable no matter your gender identity

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Yeah, whole lotta tough misses so far but eventually one of the dang things has gotta connect, there’ve been so many

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Oh goddamnit smith

Edit: TWICE

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

I’d assumed it’d be bad but this seems even more damning than expected

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Not like that they won’t, Thorns off to a nice start

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Hey, it’s not like Bixby would do something crazy like step back into the goal with the ball in her hands or something

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Thorns defense was more organized and keyed in than I was expecting, Sinclair still looks slow and stiff as can be but they managed to work around that, KC never seemed to step up and threaten, they looked on their back feet and confused the whole match.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
I’ll preface this by acknowledging I know poo poo about poo poo about soccer and somebody with a more perceptive/informed opinion may be better positioned to answer, but while the Thorns D was solid last night it’s been less so for parts of the season, Kuikka is generally good but can flash super hot/cold at times and whiff on her attempts to intercept, Hubly’s obviously a dang tank but can get turned around/out of position and isn’t always the fastest, and Bixby is prone to the occasionally boneheaded moment (beyond the aforementioned “catch the ball and step back into goal” thing I remember at least once she came way too far out to clear, kicked it right to the other team, and couldn’t get back in goal on time to stop them). They’re also without much depth, Menges went down early in the season and Pogarch was traded away, then her replacement (Mcgrady I think) has struggled to find the field; basically if any of the starting 4 are gone they’ve had to bring in Porter (uninspiring) or drop Sugita back. Thankfully that latter option isn’t the worst, she’s good all over and the Thorns are loaded up front enough they can afford her doing so, but in ideal terms they could use some additional support on defense. That said, they were barely tested last night, no idea what was up with KC’s attack that they floundered so much but I won’t object.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

whypick1 posted:

Merritt Paulson to sell the Portland Thorns (but not the Timbers because he's still a fuckstick)
Thorns coach resigns after only 1 year due to having a relationship with one of her players even though the league cleared her of wrong-doing
Arnim Whisler to sell the Chicago Red Stars because he's also a lovely human being

:tif:

Yuuuup, tried coming up with a coherent post about this, but honestly who the gently caress knows, it’s a dang mess. I’m going to be very sad if new ownership means the Thorns aren’t able to stay at Providence Park, but that’s obviously not the biggest issue at stake. I’ve had issues with Wilkinson as coach but there’s no denying they got a dang championship out of the deal, and while I’m totally empathetic to this being a complicated situation not wholly comparable to so many other coach-player relationships, surely you’ve got to recognize when this league and specific team are subject to a national conversation around this exact issue! Like, maybe I just don’t believe in the power of true love, but there’s no way I don’t look at this as being a demonstration of highly questionable judgement, and it’s absolutely no surprise she lost the locker room over it, especially if they didn’t even find out directly from her.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Yeah, Menges had also issued a statement thanking and praising Paulson before, well, the conversation around her is a little different today. Really I get that it’s a complicated and difficult situation for a lot of them, beyond whatever personal relationships they may have with him Paulson has played a significant role in building the league. It in no way excuses his actions and behavior and he couldn’t be gone soon enough, but players certainly have their own relationships and perspectives and agency; while I disagree with Sinc and my default is to always stand with your fellow players/workers over an abusive owner/manager/system, I guess I just don’t see it as so egregious as to merit attacking her over it, there are much bigger fish to fry. But also social media is a fetid cesspit and nobody should expect anything better from that discourse no matter the subject or side.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
The logo sucks too, like if you told me this was the placeholder until they figured things out sure but

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Only made it through the Portland match so far but hooo boy what a stinker for the Thorns, they had about 10 minutes of okay play in them and then it was just a wet fart for the remainder. Credit where it’s due to AC, they were clearly feeling themselves with good reason, and a bicycle kick goal is always sick as hell. Smith’s not running or cutting like herself yet so they can’t rely on her hero ball, fingers crossed Weaver’s issue is relatively minor, and hard to say it but Sinclair needs to sit on the bench, just a dead weight on the field.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Terminally Bored posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZUIAahm-hc

Stengel, the most Scouser of all Americans, with a golazo.
Smith worked really hard but looked terribly off pace, she might be playing with an injury. Did she reject a surgery to get back to the game quicker?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dTqcDlH6Sc

lmao at Sheridan here

Would be a really cool sendoff for Rapinoe if they won but Gotham were really good all season.

Smith sprained her knee a month or so back yeah, didn’t sound like surgery was ever a major consideration but she also hasn’t gotten her speed or agility back to 100% yet, and didn’t help it was a downpour. Weaver was also looking kinda slow to pivot and lacked her usual burst, tweaked hers 2 weeks ago too

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
If nothing else good to see she’s feeling plenty confident in that knee

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Signing Gonzalez turned out to be a pretty good call huh

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Holy crap

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Sale of the Portland Thorns to RAJ Sports under the Bhathal family is official, including that they’ll get to remain at Providence Park through 2035. I know nothing about the new owners including what their tenure as owners of the Sacramento Kings has entailed, I’m just glad Paulson is officially out the drat door and things can move forward, especially since staying at Providence was a major worry for me given he still holds the lease there. No idea on price, and the team is still likely going to need a new coach, GM, and about half a roster, but the transition to NWSL 2.0 continues.

Edit: checking around price was cited as $63 million, which, uh, not too shabby

Thaddius the Large fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jan 3, 2024

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Nybble posted:

Crystal sure has some pull.

https://x.com/itsmeglinehan/status/1745105911117418574?s=20

edit: probably okay that he’s not working directly with any players, sounds like it’s mostly a make work job.

https://x.com/jennatonelli/status/1745131743789629947?s=20

Someone asked on another forum whether this might be a potential CBA issue? Like, I don’t know whether Pierre has any actual experience or capability in this sort of role (since he was, ya know, an AT), but if her contract is super team friendly it sure looks like employing a player’s spouse in exchange for a lower player pay, especially since Gotham has enough name players on their squad I wonder how they’re going to wrangle the salary cap next year.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

habeasdorkus posted:

What is the NWSL salary cap gonna look like given that they have so much more TV money? I think it's something like $5m per team per year.

$2.75 million this year so double what it was, and maybe shooting up after though assuming things continue apace

Edit: so, for my Gotham musing, they’ve got Nighswonger on her rookie contract, but just extended Lynn Williams and signed Crystal Dunn, Emily Sonnet, Tierna Davidson, Rose Lavelle, already had Midge Purce, Esther Gonzalez, Kelly O’Hara, and Bruhnina on the books (as well as plenty of decent others like Yazmeen Ryan, etc), for the NWSL that’s a whole lotta talent to have to pay for, guess that cap doubled just in time

Thaddius the Large fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jan 11, 2024

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

whypick1 posted:

I think the USWNT might be sorta decent

Good talent, it’s the depth and youth I’m high on, when Horan/Morgan/Lavelle are your elder veterans you’re in a good place

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
They aren’t just failing on an individual level, players look lost and confused, there’s no structure or organization. Dunno if that’s the formation tonight or what but hooo lad. Lavelle hasn’t looked great, I hate to say it but Smith and Rodman have absolutely no chemistry and are floundering, just ugly

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Lmao this is keystone kops nonsense

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
A nice getting your groove back game. I’m officially quite over Trinity Rodman, and I love Smith but she hasn’t shown much of late, otherwise gat dang keep the young kids out there, Shaw et al are absolute beasts

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Terminally Bored posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoMjXIEc5AM

Shouldn't have been a penalty but that Nighswonger hit was fantastic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP9SfSwPwW4

Paraguay both teams with a risky strategy of not defending at all

Rodman had a really good assist this match. Smith did gently caress all.

I’d rather see Purce out there than Rodman, last night was a reversal where Purce whiffed the selfish shot while Rodman had a good assist but otherwise the latter has just been all flash and no effect in my eyes, fast but gets dispossessed way too easily, and she likes to get chippy but struggles when others do the same. Smith, well, I’m just a homer and want to believe, I maintain she’s got a high ceiling but lately it’s been all missed passes and dribbling straight into a defender.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
This is honestly hilarious

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Okay I can unclench now. Holy crap what a weird, weird game

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Horan’s still got it!

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

marioinblack posted:

Appreciate Gotham going into Portland and stealing a 2nd straight W there

I’m not too mad about it, losing 2 goals to offsides stings but poo poo happens, outside of 1 derp (that cost them the game) the defense at least wasn’t the utter sieve it was last week. Crowd was obviously pissed and I couldn’t tell from where I was but sounds like the TV showed the offsides were legit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Nybble posted:

Houston Dash sucks

Yeah, this, the team has been wretched this year, I don’t know if there’s some dispute going on between Fran Alonso and the players or if he’s just not a good coach or both but he seems not long for the position