Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
I know very little about CSS and even less about reddit. I know that reddit allows the use of CSS (or something similar) to drive design changes from the default page layout.

My question is: Is it possible to make the voting buttons sign the user out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.
It wouldn't be possible to trigger that with CSS alone, no and would likely also get you banned.

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
That sucks. I figured out how to hide the buttons and score but i'm still trying to see if i can get the vote buttons to do something they weren't intended to do

mweb
Mar 14, 2019
:five: :nsamad:

Sounds like fun, I am interested to hear how it goes. Check this out maybe will give you some ideas: https://css-tricks.com/the-checkbox-hack/

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I haven't tested this, but since you can't change the link the buttons go to, and you can't make anything follow the cursor, I think this is the only way:

1. First, use * { z-index: 1 } to give every element a normalized z-index (this is probably the default, but still)
2. Second, find the log out button, and give it css like position: absolute; top: 0; left: 0; width: 100%; height: 100%; z-index: 0;. This means it will take up the entire screen, but it will be behind every element given z-index 1 by the previous rule.
3. Lastly, find the upvote/downvote buttons, and give it css like z-index: -1. This puts it behind every other item, including the logout link from the previous rule.

A lot of this is exercise to the reader, but the idea is that you might be able to use the position-absolute trick on the log out link to make it take up the entire screen, and the z-index trick so that every other item is on top of that link except the voting buttons.

Finally, remember that users can disable custom CSS, and it isn't respected on new reddit at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
Nah that won't work there's lots of stuff in front of the gigantic logout link in that case, the comment's background box for example. You probably need to give that logout button a `display: block`, `position: absolute` and put it over top of the left hand side of the screen just about where most of the vote buttons are.

That's mostly all you can do.

If you find a way to do what you suggest, then a good way to make the user's cursor completely ignore some element is `pointer-events: none`.