Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Randalor posted:

SNES classic... I mean, what? Who would use endorse :files: on a dead gay comedy forum?
It's not portable :eng101:

and yeah without the VC emulator working for SMRPG I was trying snes9x_3ds so the real answer is "just deal with it or quit, there's always more games to play"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I want to make it clear that I own Paper Mario on the WiiU eshop, but can anyone recommend a good N64 emulator for Win7 with a decent interface? The only one that seems to work on anything is one of the ones built into retroarch, and I find retroarch very awkward to use.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

JustJeff88 posted:

I want to make it clear that I own Paper Mario on the WiiU eshop, but can anyone recommend a good N64 emulator for Win7 with a decent interface? The only one that seems to work on anything is one of the ones built into retroarch, and I find retroarch very awkward to use.

I recommend M64P! It's a front-end for the Mupen core. It also comes with the GLideN64 plugin preinstalled.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

It's not portable :eng101:

I read the "whats people's preferred emulator" part of the post and didn't think about the overall context of "everything leading up to the question related to the 3DS". I mean, the SNES Classic IS fairly portable, you just can't really play it on the go.

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

SIZE=XX-LARGE]PLEASE! PLEASE STOP SAYING THE R WORD. GOD, IF SOMEBODY SAID THE R WORD, I WILL HECKIN LOSE IT. JUST PEE PEE MY JORTS. CAN'T YOU JUST CALL THEM A SMOOTHE BRAINED DOTARD LIKE THE REST OF US NORMAL PEOPLE? DERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

P.S. FREE LARRY YOU FUCKIN COWARDS.
Here to say that Master Quest has been an absolute insane blast to play through and I just finished chapter 4, and barely at that.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

ButterSkeleton posted:

Here to say that Master Quest has been an absolute insane blast to play through and I just finished chapter 4, and barely at that.

Aw, thank you! The 2.0 rework is currently in Chapter 2 - the Desert is being tested, and the Ruins and Tutankoopa will come after that. We've also added a good number of quality-of-life features. I'm looking forward to the next 'milestone complete' post.

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

SIZE=XX-LARGE]PLEASE! PLEASE STOP SAYING THE R WORD. GOD, IF SOMEBODY SAID THE R WORD, I WILL HECKIN LOSE IT. JUST PEE PEE MY JORTS. CAN'T YOU JUST CALL THEM A SMOOTHE BRAINED DOTARD LIKE THE REST OF US NORMAL PEOPLE? DERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

P.S. FREE LARRY YOU FUCKIN COWARDS.
Oh wow!! That's amazing!! I'll gladly do a second run through of this game when 2.0 comes out!

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Thamz Plays Master Quest! (2.0, that is)

So I gave Thamz a demo of Chapter 1 and a bit of Chapter 2 of Master Quest 2.0!

He'll be streaming it on Monday, May 10 at 6 PM Eastern Time.

https://www.twitch.tv/emperor_thamz

I'm honestly excited to see how things go.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I really like the idea that Thamz will be streaming the game and reacting to it. It's a way of paying homage to him even if the design has moved in a different direction.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Hahaha, the tables have turned, haven't they? This ought to be interesting.

Do you know if he plans to archive the video, in case some of us aren't able to catch it live?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Explopyro posted:

Hahaha, the tables have turned, haven't they? This ought to be interesting.

Do you know if he plans to archive the video, in case some of us aren't able to catch it live?

Yes, archiving is planned. At the very least, I'll try and save a copy.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Dev Blog Update: Cool Milestone 2 Stuff

Wow, it's been a bit since I updated this, hasn't it? I'm not dead, and we're still working at MQ, Chapter 2. We're about done through half of Dry Dry Ruins.

Here's a few cool things we've been working on:

Death Counter

It took the Clover (the author of Star Rod) himself to help with this one, but the game now keeps track of how many times Mario has bitten it. Can you beat the game with not even a single KO?

Donlee 2.0

We finally figured out a way to remove RNG from Donlee! Her goons will help you on the first turn of every battle (or the last turn, if you asked for the Star Points service). You get to pick which buff you want.
As if that's not enough, she'll throw in the Star Points service on bosses, even if you bought one of the other services! Paying protection money has never been easier.

Feeling Fine P

This badge makes your partner auto-block most attacks (though it won't help with Buzzar's wind or the Whale's stomach juices). Helpful for fights where a powerful enemy attacks your partner! It's hidden somewhere in Dry Dry Desert.

Charge Cap

If you try to charge beyond your limit, the game will tell you you can't. This doesn't use your turn or FP.
Mario also gets a lovely "!!!" marker to denote he's at full charge, which blinks in alternation with the normal charge icon.

New Enemy Behaviors

No hints on these...!!

So yeah, that's all for now. I'll probably make another post when Chapter 2 is all done. Stay tuned!

Quackles fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Jul 11, 2021

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

These are some interesting changes, it's good to see progress is still happening.

I have to admit I'm not terribly fond of death counters in games, but that's the pathological completionist in me talking (I don't like when games make a permanent record of my mistakes, or for that matter even of trivial things, the board in Paper Mario tracking things like first strike rates always kind of annoyed me too), and I'm sure there are people who will appreciate that feature.

This implementation of Feeling Fine P is pretty cool, and I'm sure that'll be interesting in practice. I'm not actually sure how good or useful it is, and that's probably a good sign.

Changing Merlee/Donlee to a fixed effect is also a net positive (and I quite like that you've now found a way to make the "mafia" aspect relevant to something).

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
You could also just scrap the whole mafia thing because it’s kinda stupid but that’s just this gamer’s onion. :shobon:

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I look forward to playing this in 2023!

(Just kidding. I am not now nor will I ever be good enough for a Hardmode hack like this)

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

JustJeff88 posted:

I look forward to playing this in 2023!

(Just kidding. I am not now nor will I ever be good enough for a Hardmode hack like this)

as a beta tester who is absolute shite at action RPGs: you don't need to git gud to play this. the Jr badge is always there.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Aerdan posted:

as a beta tester who is absolute shite at action RPGs: you don't need to git gud to play this. the Jr badge is always there.

Additionally, if you need more assistance than that, we're going to release a GS code that auto-performs many action commands as part of the final release.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Cross-Promotion - Paper Mario: Black Pit

So, I've become active in the Paper Mario Modding community, and the community does actually finish projects on occasion.

Today, a fellow known as 'elDexter' just finished a mod known as 'Paper Mario: Black Pit' - it's a takeoff on the Pit of 100 Trials concept, turning PM64 into a game where the goal is to escape a vast dungeon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWrXdQ_IiJw

The game has multiple modes (including a Roguelike mode), a lot of content, and some stuff that I know was a heck of a lot of work to code (that achievements menu is a lot more impressive if you know that the pause menu code is underdocumented at best). It looks like a lot of care and effort has been put into it.

If you're looking for a challenge, I would suggest trying it out (and telling me how it is, because I don't dare play it lest I get sidetracked from making Master Quest). Good luck!

The BPS patch is available here. (v1.0.3 - numerous bugs fixed)

Quackles fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jul 13, 2021

Damanation
Apr 16, 2018

Congratulations!

Bogart posted:

You could also just scrap the whole mafia thing because it’s kinda stupid but that’s just this gamer’s onion. :shobon:

I would like to second this, it seemed like kind of an arbitrary joke that didn’t really land ever.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

I'd been aware of Black Pit after seeing a few people stream beta versions of it from time to time, but I didn't know there was an actual release! Interesting. It certainly seemed interesting and it's done a lot of technically impressive things (stylish moves in PM64? okay then), I'll have to give it a go (my LP will not thank you for this).

I've messed around with it a little and it's definitely something. I haven't gotten very far yet, so I'm not sure I should pass judgment on anything yet, but I'm a bit frustrated at how big a difficulty spike there is from the first 10 floors (all Goombas and Koopas, which are trivially easy and very boring) to the next ones... seems like it's pretty easy to lose right when it starts getting interesting, if you didn't have any kind of luck with the upgrades. My best run so far was into the 20s thanks to an early Damage Dodge.

I'm also not all that fond of the achievement-based progress system, but regardless, there's certainly a lot of content in this thing. I don't know how long it's going to hold my interest, but there's definitely something good here.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Explopyro posted:

I'd been aware of Black Pit after seeing a few people stream beta versions of it from time to time, but I didn't know there was an actual release! Interesting. It certainly seemed interesting and it's done a lot of technically impressive things (stylish moves in PM64? okay then), I'll have to give it a go (my LP will not thank you for this).

I've messed around with it a little and it's definitely something. I haven't gotten very far yet, so I'm not sure I should pass judgment on anything yet, but I'm a bit frustrated at how big a difficulty spike there is from the first 10 floors (all Goombas and Koopas, which are trivially easy and very boring) to the next ones... seems like it's pretty easy to lose right when it starts getting interesting, if you didn't have any kind of luck with the upgrades. My best run so far was into the 20s thanks to an early Damage Dodge.

I'm also not all that fond of the achievement-based progress system, but regardless, there's certainly a lot of content in this thing. I don't know how long it's going to hold my interest, but there's definitely something good here.

Firstly, what are you LPing? I'm always looking for fun new ones to read.

Secondly, I feel almost hypocritical because I often bemoan the cruel and random nature of roguelikes, but now that I think of it my favourite game of all time is a rare classic console roguelike: ToeJam & Earl for the Mega Drive. I've been playing that game regularly for 30 years yet most other roguelikes just piss me off.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

JustJeff88 posted:

Bug Fables!

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

I've played more Black Pit (oops, I barely slept last night, thanks so much game!). It's really addictive.

I kept going "one more run, one more run" since they'd been going badly, and ended up getting some fantastic RNG on the last one that got me quite far (and then I started checkpointing with savestates, I'd already had to do that to deal with intermittent crashes anyway, and actually finished the entire run though by the end I don't think I deserved it, the enemies in 90-100 are incredibly nasty).

It started with a treasure room giving me something like 600 coins on floor 6, which made it reasonable to open every coin lock I found and buy a big stock of consumables. I got an early Defend Plus, P-Down D-Up and Lucky Day (all before floor 30), and that made me actually able to survive, and two Flower Savers made it reasonable to use the ability badges it kept showering me with (hilariously, including a very early Mega Quake and Mega Jump, which are otherwise useless at base FP). Then not long after that I found a Damage Dodge, which actually made it possible to survive pretty late. The weirdest thing about it is that I ended up using Lakilester for almost the entire run (and the late floors would've been impossible without stacking Cloud Nine on top of the luck badges), and he's usually one of the less useful partners. I didn't get a single HP or FP upgrade in the entire run, though, which was very frustrating once the enemy damage increased. Then I got both Jump Charge badges and a very late Power Bounce, which let me cheese my way through the boss at the end (I totally didn't deserve that).

I did run into a few bugs and crashes, so for anyone who's going to play it I recommend savestating every couple of floors even if you don't intend to abuse it (this unfortunately does create the temptation, but a crash will cause you to lose even the progress you'd get from losing the run, and this hack really wants you to grind coins).

I'm definitely going to be playing more of this. (Even if quite often my reaction was "wow, Paper Mario gameplay feels so much worse compared to Bug Fables now, and also I need to relearn all of the timing"...)

EDIT: Apparently I somehow grabbed the 1.0 version of the patch, not 1.0.2. I'll be restarting. Don't judge the release on the experiences I've related here, a lot of the problems may well have been fixed in this version. Whoops.

JustJeff88 posted:

Please do come by the Bug Fables thread if you're interested in Paper Mario style RPGs. I promise we don't bite (or sting).

Explopyro fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jul 12, 2021

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

After completing another roguelike run in the actual up-to-date version (with significantly less savestating this time, though still some; I still recommend using them to anyone who plays it because it's still crashed on me a handful of times), here's my hot take: I actually think Paper Mario's mechanics might be better suited to roguelike than they are to the original game. A lot of the badges are vastly more interesting as "should I pick this up? How will it change things if I do", and this has given me a lot of appreciation for things I wouldn't normally have used (Happy Heart and Happy Flower have been among the MVPs, somehow). And things like boot and hammer upgrades make a lot more sense when they're not guaranteed (one of the things I like about Bug Fables' numbers relative to Paper Mario is that there aren't automatic increases at fixed points in the game).

It's not perfect and I do think that doing well is pretty dependent on getting lucky with defencive upgrades early, but that's something that could be balanced around. Also, I stand by my criticism that the first 10 floors of nothing but Goombas and Koopas are 100% trivial and boring, but I'm not sure how you solve that problem (ideally, honestly, you'd just start Mario off in a room full of random upgrades and then drop him in at floor 11, but that's probably tough to make hacking-wise). This version felt better balanced than 1.0, though that could be an illusion if the RNG just happened to be nicer to me.

I don't really know what to make of the rest of the content yet, I've mostly just been playing the roguelike mode. Most of it seems, for better or worse, very grindy. But the roguelike mode is a blast and I can definitely recommend that.

And now I'll stop cluttering up the thread, I've said enough about this.

Explopyro fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jul 13, 2021

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Milestone 2 Complete!

Hello everyone! I'm back, and I've undertaken a new promise to do a bit on MQ every day. With this, I've been able to break out of my previous blocks and am making progress.

For starters, Chapter 2 is done! Here are a few things in the back half of Chapter 2 that I've been working on:

New Ruins Puzzle

The puzzle to get the Super Hammer in Dry Dry Ruins has been redone. It's now quite puzzling!

Chuck

I'm rewriting a lot of the Chuck Quizmo questions, to give people a brand new experience.

Deterministic Air Lift

For each enemy, Air Lift's success is based on a specific threshold for that enemy, which is compared against that enemy's HP. Some enemies can be lifted right away, but others will have to be damaged and/or statused to be removed.

And a few other things...

More updates hopefully soon.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I subscribed to the overpriced, technologically-dodgy Switch 'Expansion Pack' so that I could play EU versions of Switch games; this was the one that put me over the edge on that decision.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Okay, making new ruins puzzles is legitimately cool. And I approve of changing up the Quizmo questions, there were a lot of iffy ones in there. Keep up the good work :thumbsup:

Honestly, I'm kind of surprised Air Lift is even still a thing, I'd have expected it to end up in the same graveyard as evasion medals. Then again, I always forget it's an ability that even exists, so I probably still will (my brain just kind of instinctively put it in the category of 'cheesy, do not use' and it never seems to come out). This seems like a reasonable compromise.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Airlift doesn't give exp and is thus cancer itself :colbert:

Yes I know you ram the soft level cap anyways so that doesn't matter. It's still wrong and disgusting

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

FoolyCharged posted:

Airlift doesn't give exp and is thus cancer itself :colbert:

Yes I know you ram the soft level cap anyways so that doesn't matter. It's still wrong and disgusting

In MQ, there are enemies that are obnoxious enough that you'll just want 'em outta here. That's when I found Air Lift to be useful.

Though with Medi Guys running away when alone, it'll be less relevant.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Quackles posted:

Though with Medi Guys running away when alone, it'll be less relevant.

I did not know that. Is the recommended strategy to ice the healer, or ignore them and burn down the other enemies?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

JustJeff88 posted:

I did not know that. Is the recommended strategy to ice the healer, or ignore them and burn down the other enemies?

The 'running away' thing is something I'm adding in 2.0. You can KO most enemies in the Toy Box by doubling into them, so ignoring the Medi Guy becomes a more viable strategy (otherwise, you'd have to repeatedly beat up on it at the end and it'd get very, very boring.)

But then, later versions of Medi Guys might go on the offensive when alone, instead. I'm trying to mix it up some.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Cross-Promotion: Randomizer!

New in the world of Paper Mario 64 romhacking: the Paper Mario 64 Randomizer has reached an initial public release!

You can randomize items, shops, ? blocks, where you get partners, and even star piece panels!
There's also the option to randomize BP, FP, and SP costs.

You can even make it so that you can get into Bowser's Castle right away, without having to save a single star spirit...

...though surviving is another matter.

The randomizer is found at https://www.pm64randomizer.com/.

ParTwo
Mar 5, 2013

I'm making it rain-Bo!
I can confirm this rando is a lot of fun but still has a few fringe logic bugs in it. I had to report one the other day in the discord involving Watt getting locked behind a Watt-required check in chapter 5.

Even so, this hasn't stopped me from having a lot of fun with it. I'm very much looking forward to how it's going to develop in the future because I think what's already there is really cool.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Tomorrow marks the one-year anniversary of the last post in this thread. I just wanted to ask the OP if there's any news on the revision of the mod that he left the LP for. I would never play MQ, though perhaps Jr, but I am still curious. This game is really twee and timeless and I like to see people still supporting it.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I'm not dead, I swear! I'm working on Chapter 3. Currently redoing the formations in Tubba Blubba's Castle.

...upon reflection, this means that I haven't been posting the updates I did to Forever Forest or Boo's Mansion, or even Gusty Gulch, which is a shame because there's some dope stuff in there.

In the interim between now and then, I ended up sorting out a few longstanding issues in my personal life, notably a really, really wonky sleep schedule that was sandbagging me.

So stuff should be faster going forward.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Wow, that's fantastic to hear! I assumed things were moving really slowly or dead, so it's really pleasant that I was wrong. When the mod is complete, I'll definitely give it a play... though maybe in junior mode, heh.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

John Lee posted:

Wow, that's fantastic to hear! I assumed things were moving really slowly or dead, so it's really pleasant that I was wrong. When the mod is complete, I'll definitely give it a play... though maybe in junior mode, heh.

Yeah! I'm going to try to make a post here with the details of the Chapter 3 changes, or some of them. Watch this space. (Patiently)

Kairinko
Apr 21, 2010

I just saw that they managed to 100% decomp Paper Mario, which seems like it could be huge for the project! Do you think this will change anything in the process going forward?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
For reference:

https://twitter.com/ethteck/status/1648766686873665536

Just the NA ROM for now.

https://github.com/pmret/papermario

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Kairinko posted:

I just saw that they managed to 100% decomp Paper Mario, which seems like it could be huge for the project! Do you think this will change anything in the process going forward?

Not this mod. It's tied to a specific version of the Star Rod authoring tool, along with numerous assembly-language patches that have been written for the hack.

Future mods, though, will be able to write code in C instead of ASM, making changing anything and everything much easier.

Overall, I'd say it's a boon to mod making, though. And you never know - that Paper Mario PC port might be a real thing some day.