Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I agree about the Mafia thing. A Master Quest shouldn't change any dialogue that's not necessary simply because that's not the focus of that playthrough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I was the kid who didn't know the word "strategy" so when I was a wee gamer and I lost a battle, I'd just go back with bigger numbers and/or play harder and meaner. Buff? Debuff? Bitch, the only debuff you'll get is debuffing that HP to 0

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
So far it seems to be pretty faithful to the original. Mario RPGs are really good at walking that line between "This is literally the only way to win" and encouraging experimentation, and this is no exception. They've done a lot more than cranking every enemies stats to the max. But I could be speaking early. I've learned not to trust fanmade Master Quests

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I'm fine with boss battles using up all your resources, but only in a game like this where inventory is VERY limited

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
The fact that this game gets the industry standard desert level out of the way early on is just another point in it's favor

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
There's a fine line between using all the resources at your disposal and turning your game into a Puzzle RPG. Sounds like that's the future of the hack

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Battle length can be a big issue. I remember when I first played Final Fantasy Tactics, and I noticed early on (around Dorter, I think) and I resolved that if a battle ever took over 30 minutes and I wasn't having fun, I'd put it down. RPG battles can get tedious real easy

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Quackles posted:

Actually, yes. I've spoken to Thamz, and his goal (paraphrased) is that no single strategy works on every battle in the game (or even most of them). So basically, the goal is to require people change up their strategy on the regular in responding to challenges the game presents.

So he wants to turn it into Dragon Quarter, which is a difficult balance to achieve.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I could have sworn this section came later. Did they rearrange any plot or am I just a raving lunatic?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Should have clarified. I meant this chapter with the Boos

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Started playing the original again today. I forgot just how charming the Mario RPGs are.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I feel like I'm the only one who used Goombario against bosses. 3 charges (and Mario doing the same) is enough to get rid of anything. But then again I'm a fan of utterly humiliating RPG bosses

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Once we got past the "load game in final world only to start with 5 lives" stage of gaming, we were fine

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

chitoryu12 posted:

This might be the first game I've seen that's completely against grinding.

Final Fantasy Tactics 1.3. Grinding will actively gently caress you over. Unless you grind in a specific way

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
If I put food on top of another piece of food, will I become the best cook in my town too?

BEHOLD! My famous cheese on a cracker!

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Grapplejack posted:

defend plus reduces the damage by one. Killing something reduces the damage by a billion, because it's dead and can't hit you anymore.

I want someone to use this defense in a murder trial

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
"There's ancient dangerous ruins near the house...I wonder if I could get my brother, who I recently expressed hostility towards, to check them out?"

You ok, buddy?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

FoolyCharged posted:

Of course he isn't. They canceled the cooking competition. The cooking competition!

Look, all I'm saying is there are plenty of bad guys in videogames who could have been entirely avoided if they talked to someone earlier in life. That's all.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Someone released a Breath of Fire III difficulty mod recently that is surprisingly good. It includes altering equipment, levelups, and Masters as well (new Skills and stat gains, no stat decreases). The creator still takes input and updates it, too. I never encountered any stumbling blocks or found anything unreasonably difficult, except maybe Stallion

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Tallgeese posted:

Ah, I found it, but he can't link it because the modmaker apparently includes a prepatched ISO.

Just search for Breath of Fire 3 rebalance.

Yup, I found it on GameFAQs. Experience is really balanced oddly, but there's usually a trash mob or two you can kill for oodles of experience. 90 is the expected endgame level but they come real quick . I also really recommend perusing the Excel document as well, especially since the creator was unable to change Master info in camp or the equipment descriptions in the menu. Rare drops are far more common though, except for maybe the Goo King Sword.

Oh and also the Ammonite fight. Backing up to the guns does nothing

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

placid saviour posted:

It's long overdue for another BoF3 Let's Play, is what I'm hearing. It's one of the series I'm most sad about never seeing another entry of since Capcom... what is Capcom doing nowadays?

I thought about doing it, and actually showing off the world and whatnot (since I woefully neglected to do so), but to showcase a lot of the differences would require videos, and I have a stutter that comes out sometimes and I hate subtitled videos I figured I'd pass on it.

That said if someone DID decide to do one, I'd be more than happy to help any way I could

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Dec 28, 2019

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I thought about doing it, and actually showing off the world and whatnot (since I woefully neglected to do so), but to showcase a lot of the differences would require videos, and I have a stutter that comes out sometimes and I hate subtitled videos so I figured I'd pass on it.

That said if someone DID decide to do one, I'd be more than happy to help any way I could

EDIT: Not sure how I posted like that but...sure

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Dec 28, 2019

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Grapplejack posted:

I will never forgive the demon Capcom for killing breath of fire and MegaMan legends

I read somewhere recently that Capcom re-upped their ownership of it so that may not be entirely true anymore

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
To anyone interested in the Breath of Fire III mod, it is NOT the one released on romhacking.net today

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

UCS Hellmaker posted:

I'm currently stuck on general guy and instead went back to 100% dk 64

Everything ok at home? Safe space

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
If you don't 100% it, DK64 really isn't that bad. But it is a nightmare for people who need to master a game. I've never been able to get Lanky's last banana in Fungi Forest and it's eaten me alive for longer than I care to admit

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
The N64 is held together with scotch tape. It's a wonder it was released at all considering how easy it is to bust any given game wide open

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I turned my N64 on once and the screen immediately just showed Donkey landing in the water of DK Isle. No matter how much I swam nothing got closer. An eternal swimming section is the N64 player's worst nightmare.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Fuckin' nerd.

(Not really, that's awesome you're working on your thesis, I'm sure it'll be great even thought I didn't understand a word of what you just said)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Blaze Dragon posted:

Going from a player and critic to actually directly affecting the game is one hell of a jump.

Fitting, considering what franchise we're talking about :v:

The American dream is alive and well

You go, Quackles! That's so cool!