Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

This looks interesting, I'll try it out. From what little I've played, I've noticed a minor change to Tattle from the original: Goombario no longer tells you attack and defense values for some reason. I'm guessing they changed them a lot during development and didn't want to have to update the tattle text each time? You missed some area tattles fwiw, each screen has a different one. It might be worth showing the new areas on the map screen, and by "might" I mean it'll be very underwhelming. The goomba tomb isn't any worse the Ocarina of Time's Shadow Temple imo, and that game was rated E at the time.

Have you thought about posting about this LP in the Romhack thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

I pretty much never use first-strikes after getting Dizzy Attack, did hammer strikes deal full damage in the original game or is that a change the hack made?

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Electric Phantasm posted:

Wait what and this is in the game originally?

https://www.mariowiki.com/List_of_Tayce_T._recipes

Strange Leaf/Koopa Leaf/Goomnut + Super/Ultra/Volt Shroom, except Volt + Strange Leaf, which gives Dizzy Dial.

The increased item prices aren't much of an issue because money stops being a problem after chapter 1 if you cheat at the playroom (can't wait for the playroom to be disabled in later versions). I reached chapter 5 before being stonewalled by a gimmick boss. I'd ask for advice in the discord but I'm afraid they'll call me a scrub for not beating it myself and tell me to :getgud:, considering how hardmode hack fanbases can be sometimes, especially after hearing about the planned life shroom changes. Plus I'm in the awkward midgame where I'm not sure if it should go in the spoiler thread, but the spoiler thread will have spoilers for later chapters.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Sorites posted:

Star Point gains drop off rapidly as you level, so you do start getting zero xp pretty quickly if you grind kills. Since the game is basically linear, it may as well be a hard level cap per zone.

If you have nothing better to do, you could repeatedly attempt the Pit, since it has strong enemies lower down and no story gating. That's kind of an edge case though.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Getting poisoned for massive damage if you fail to block is rude, but I can live with it. If chapter 2 poison did less damage, it would make things better, but I imagine the game can only have one poison damage value and they chose to balance around chapter 5+ instead of the one early enemy that has poison. No, the real problem might become apparent if you remember what other status effects exist in this game. Dizzy/Sleep/Paralyze prevent you from guarding. Yes, this means enemies that cause those statuses can stunlock Mario for the rest of the fight if you miss one guard. It sucks!!!

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Explopyro posted:

Interestingly, I think they actually did add at least one new status effect; I don't remember Paralysis existing in the base game (although it's weird because it's pretty much functionally identical to Dizzy or Sleep aside from animation, I'm really not sure what the difference is).

Watt has a paralysis move against enemies, I think the only way to get Mario paralyzed in the base game is from a Duplighost or Lee transformed into Watt?

And yeah, from the brief time I spent in the discord, I saw people lamenting that Paper Mario has three statuses that do basically the same thing and how it would be nice to have more variety but they can't change it without major assembly work.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Color Printer posted:

It's weird how all of this would be much easier to swallow if the hack was just called Rude Mode or something similar. (I won't say Kaizo, because it's not quite that level of ridiculous)

Not enough Chain Chomps

yet

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

ChaseSP posted:

I completely missed Happy Heart is 1/3 chance to regen a heart. :psyduck: I don't remember if it was that bad in the original but holy gently caress is that awful. I was going off the assumption it was 1 per turn like the one in TTYD.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/n64/198849-paper-mario/faqs/43550

This claims ~50% in the base game. It definitely wasn't every turn in TTYD though. Mario wiki claims 33% for TTYD :shrug:

As far as badges, Flower Saver worked pretty well for me. Reducing 2fp moves to 1fp is a pretty good resource save. Less so when many moves have been increased in cost, but still.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

The base game does the same thing with two future Jr Troopa fights. The Chapter 3 fight happens after you get the Super Boots and the Chapter 5 fight happens after you get Sushie rather than after you beat the respective chapters, because otherwise you could skip the fights by backtracking and opening the shortcuts.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

FPzero posted:

Come on dude.

That's how it works in normal Paper Mario though, no mention of Master Quest changes. Is that spoilers? I'll remove it if it is, but I thought the spoiler policy was only for Master Quest changes.

Procrastine fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Sep 7, 2019

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Gotta be honest, while Super Saiyan Whacka is pretty good, when you said his appearance changes I was hoping the hackers had done something more like this:

or possibly even:

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Quackles posted:

This may amuse you. A fourth Blooper fight location (and, by extension, fight) is possibly planned to be added in the final version, at the chest with the Ultra Boots.

As for what the fourth Blooper does, we-ll, this GIF was making the rounds of the Master Quest discord recently... (possible spoiler for future versions):

oh gently caress that

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Dark Koopas and their stunlock bullshit are such garbage. Hope you guard this hard-to-time attack or Mario's not doing anything for the rest of the fight! And once you're dizzy, you can't guard, so there's nothing you can do about it. Man, it'd be hosed up if something similar was used by a boss instead of by minor enemies you can Air Lift, right?

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Explopyro posted:

Ahahaha which one are you talking about? There are so many I'm not sure which one to have flashbacks about.

I wish I'd remembered abilities like Air Lift exist and can be used, though. I tend to ignore them because it's less fun not to fight the enemies, but seeing this there are definitely places that would have been made a lot less frustrating if I'd remembered.

General Guy, I never got past Lava Piranha so I don't know anything past there

Yeah, I don't use death spells usually, especially in Paper Mario where you get no experience from them, but in this hack, against some enemies, :fireman:

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

FPzero posted:

Aren't Repel Gels a limited item anyway? Even if they aren't, committing to using one in a fight before they become repeatably obtainable is basically saying "I really need this right now because I have no other choice and need to survive to the next turn, so I'll burn one of my get out of jail free cards and make the best of it." Kind of how I remember hoarding Ultra Shrooms and Jammin' Jellies until the end of the game because I think those were also limited in vanilla.

You can theoretically get unlimited Repel Gels/Ultra Shrooms/Jammin' Jellies with Lil' Oinks, but gently caress Lil' Oinks.

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Lord_Magmar posted:

I would also be interested in knowing what the easy mode for Paper Mario: Master Quest looks like now. So when that comes out hopefully Quackles will supply us with the changes for that version, I suspect it will be far more palatable for the thread as a whole.

Yeah, looking at these changes I'm definitely getting a vibe that since there's an easier version now, they could stretch the early chapters to the hardest they possibly could. Remains to be seen how well the easy version is balanced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

General Guy is the boss fight I alluded to earlier with the stunlocking. Getting shrunk by the Spy Guys removes paralysis, so that's something you can maybe hope for, but otherwise, a single missed block is death. My biggest problem with this fight is that every time you attempt the fight, you have to go through all the early waves. You can mitigate this by savestating before the main fight begins, but if you want to try a different badge setup, you have to fight the early waves again. They're not hard, I found a strat to consistently get through them with low to no health loss, but it's kinda tedious when repeated.

I didn't think to Double Dip Egg Missiles, looks like that was the pro strat here. I think doing that on the next chapter boss crashes the game normally, does the hack fix that?

Quackles posted:

• The lightning attack now does 10 damage. Interestingly, it stuns Mario and partner for only 1 turn instead of 2. Unlike his normal version, General Guy EX will not use the lightning attack while Mario is stunned.

Oh cool, they had an anti-stunlock measure but only used it in the harder refight because ???