Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Huh. A mod that makes the game more challenging without immediately bending the player over the table? Color me surprised. Never have gotten a chance to play Paper Mario 64 (Did play it’s first sequel on the Gamecube though), maybe once we get some power and internet here, I’ll see about getting this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Spiked...paragoombas...this early in the game when your only attack that could hit them is the Hammer Throw. Okay, NOW the game is bending the player over the table. Also that Kamek fight. Jesus. Anyone else think they want people to grind early game?

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
I-I’m sorry...are...are those end-game stats on the first two bosses of Paper Mario?! :cry: :kingsley: I can only imagine how tough they can be. And down right impossible at this stage of the game.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Jesus christ talk about slapping the player with their dick and calling them a bitch. I shudder to think how the fight’ll play out after they get their buff. This REALLY makes the game unappealing to play through if all they do is “nerf previously applicable tactics and items into ground and laugh at player afterwards”. loving absolute virtue bullshit again

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

“MAMA MIA! GET’A BACK HERE!”

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Personally, I like a challenge, but from what I’ve seen of the current patch (and god knows what they’ll do with the final one)...I think I’m just gonna opt into the easier patch. Like some of the new stuff they’ve done, others...not so much considering that nobody’s managed to do the Pit without savestates worries me horribly

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Some of these changes WERE warranted...but jesus gently caress, devs, let people have SOME loving wiggle room for strategies, a lot of these just seem way out there to gently caress everyone over. And then there’s the life shoom shortage where you can’t gently caress up, like, at all and hope you don’t get teabagged too hard by the following bosses. Definitely gonna opt into their junior hard mode patch, because...yea, gently caress a lot of these changes.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

gourdcaptain posted:

Still waiting, at least platformers are starting to ditch lives now.

As long as the player has a number of ways to recover spent lives (such as an infinite lives trick) and the game doesn’t punish you TOO heavily for running out, I don’t mind Lives as a mechanic, but I admit some games do tend to go too far in one direction or another in regards to that sort of thing. A healthy challenge with a way to replenish resources is one thing, being too easy with too many lives or too hard with few chances to get more is another thing entirely.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
I believe the term for this is B E N D O V E R. But yes, this is a major surprise and for some it’s qualified as an ”end game” fight

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

KieranWalker posted:

Just goes to show, as brutal as MQ can be, the devs aren't ENTIRELY out to screw the player.

Just mostly

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
“Oh. You can get a multi-target attack item in bulk? gently caress you, boss is immune to it, learn to block scrub and find out our one solution to the boss fight!”

loving christ, that battle looked like a slog and a half. And they intend to BUFF the boss next patch? gently caress you too, devs!

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Lord_Magmar posted:

The Mario Mario Mafia Mafia.

“Hey Mario, lets-a go a bowling!”

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
This hack honestly looks nightmarish enough as is. God help us if they do implement unblockable attacks. This entire hack, and the Sr version they’re supposedly working on, is gonna go down the drain and FAST unless they dial the unblockable attacks back on damage/effects...Which they won’t, I’m loving sure.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

KeiraWalker posted:

Cool stuff, Quackles. Good on ya!

Tangentially related to this thread, I just stumbled on a new Stryder7x video about playing through the game with it hacked to keep Mario at level 1 forever. Kinda in the spirit of hard mode, anyway... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GhOJkQEtjw

Really interesting having seen that. I mean most battles kinda boil down to a single strategy, but it's pretty fun watching it happen

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Quackles posted:

What the gently caress, Australia.

Not empty quoting this

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Quackles posted:

Fun fact: The Master Quest devs almost made a third palette swapped bee, for tough situations in Flower Field and the deep Pit. While the project was never completed, we almost had, in addition to the Bzzap! and the Bzzrk!...

The Bzzinga!.

Deargodno.gif

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Though you're only getting two revives in a fight at most (at the cost of 6+ Lifeshooms clogging your inventory), it's not a terrible change to lifeshooms. Better than...you know, kneecapping players outright with an extremely limited supply of shooms AND giving some bosses a middle finger to players who DARE to bring one of those limited resources into a fight, I can only hope the bosses with those "counters" are reverted back to pre-"gently caress you and your lifeshooms too" status.