Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Ominous. I look forward to witnessing the pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Carbon dioxide posted:

No (well at least not in the base game), but now that you mention it I do remember this incorrect rumour floating around the internet since forever.

He increases one of your stats by one levels' worth at the cost of reducing both of your other stats by one. Unless Master Quest changed him. So no, he doesn't reduce your level. If THAT was what he did, you could reacquire that level. No, he just reduces your stats, which is worse.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
They probably are, honestly. It's likely intended that if you don't want to go through the desert maze again, you unlock the warp pipe in the sewer.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I'll say this much: Considering the romhack is, after all, called "Master Quest", I'm kind of okay with the design philosophy. Each battle becomes a challenging puzzle to overcome, and bosses in particular may require you to prepare specific strategies with your inventory and badges.

Are you a Master at Paper Mario? Time to prove it.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I will say it. I hate this style of hack. Extra difficulty is one thing, but "One True Tactic" style balancing where you methodically murder-nerf every single potential strategy except the one that you want people to use for any given fight is just insulting and, IMO, egotistical. It reminds me of the devs for the Long War mods for XCOM Enemy Within and XCOM2, who made sure to nerf into the ground any tools or abilities the player had that were remotely reliable and consistent.

I will continue to follow this LP, but goddamn I hate this type of developer.

JustJeff88 posted:

I'm no expert on the subject, but like many difficulty mods I almost feel as if this hard-type mod would work better if Mario A) had his Heart Points and Flower Points restored after every battle and B) he could freely shuffle his level-up benefits between Max HP, Max FP and Max BP at no cost. It's a lot easier to balance "one solution" type approaches when there is foreknowledge of the entrance state of the player.

Also this. And frankly, that admission from the dev about Savestates is kind of damning. He's basically admitting that there are times when you need to retreat to healblocks after every fight. Which, in a game like this, is *not fun*.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Nov 16, 2019

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Great, now Thamz is gonna buff Master II to make it unbeatable before finishing chapter 5.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Alxprit posted:

In my experience any balance patches that have ever existed are just hard-types under a different name.

Mainly because when the people MAKING the game think of balance, they think of "balanced so that young children can play the game and not get frustrated", whereas when most hackers think "Balance", they think "Difficult for experienced gamers, but still possible".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I have nothing against him personally, but I honestly see this as a good thing. "Hard Mode Hacks" that are intended to only be doable by the skin of your teeth with perfect planning, as he says, just aren't fun to me, and are basically only made for a very select few people.

Having a more reasonable difficulty curve makes the mod a lot more accessible to a lot more people.