Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Where would you consider a top ten JUCO team to be in regards to D3, 2, FCS and FBS?

I think a good team would destroy D3, be very good in D2 and compete in a lower level FCS conference. Keep in mind these teams only have Freshmen and Sophomores, but age can be higher than expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
This could also double as a Last Chance U thread. I doubt people on TVIV watch it. I just finished E4 of the new season and the coach is such a POS and an obvious alcoholic.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

D3 sure

but if you want your JuCo team to beat even a bad FCS team or an execrable FBS team, you'd better be hoping for a uruguayan flight 571 situation, imho

i wouldn't give east mississippi odds against UTEP

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Just finished this season of Last Chance U, and it really shows how hosed up college sports have become. You have players getting consecutive concussions while their Trainers laugh it off and other players are writhing in agony on the field/sidelines, all in the hope of a big ticket to D1, where they'll be even more disposable since they're not 4 star recruits. And the college fucks itself over for a practice field that was rejected by the Baltimore Ravens because they hosed up the thickness of the field. Is that important? I dunno, but seeing a scout D Lineman bounce the current starter's head off the turf and sidelining him for the rest of the season may tell you it was a bad call. This show really was everything bad about college athletics/administrations. Also, gently caress JB.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

Ninurta posted:

Just finished this season of Last Chance U, and it really shows how hosed up college sports have become. You have players getting consecutive concussions while their Trainers laugh it off and other players are writhing in agony on the field/sidelines, all in the hope of a big ticket to D1, where they'll be even more disposable since they're not 4 star recruits. And the college fucks itself over for a practice field that was rejected by the Baltimore Ravens because they hosed up the thickness of the field. Is that important? I dunno, but seeing a scout D Lineman bounce the current starter's head off the turf and sidelining him for the rest of the season may tell you it was a bad call. This show really was everything bad about college athletics/administrations. Also, gently caress JB.

I finished, spoilers for those who haven't and the turf issue : LOL at the coach being fired for literally saying he is the new Hitler. I knew he was fired several months ago and saw the record so the season was spoiled for me, but I kept hope that maybe they had to forfeit some. I think the turf was 2'' thick instead of 2 1/4", either way it was on top of dirt so I figure it is safer with 2'' of rubber than grass to land on, could be wrong though, I played on turf grass once in HS.

The exploitation is even worse, I thought these guys were on scholly but I think they said they only have 2 scholarships for FB or something like that, guys are paying to play there. Last thing, most of these players need to get a clue and be sat down and told the odds of making it to the NFL, these guys are dedicating their lives to football and playing in the minor leagues. They don't care about their grades at all for most of them.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Michael Corleone posted:

The exploitation is even worse, I thought these guys were on scholly but I think they said they only have 2 scholarships for FB or something like that, guys are paying to play there. Last thing, most of these players need to get a clue and be sat down and told the odds of making it to the NFL, these guys are dedicating their lives to football and playing in the minor leagues. They don't care about their grades at all for most of them.

When you come from extreme poverty and/or a shithole of a hometown and someone tells you you're become filthy rich, you're going to be hanging on to those dreams for a long time.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

PupsOfWar posted:

D3 sure

but if you want your JuCo team to beat even a bad FCS team or an execrable FBS team, you'd better be hoping for a uruguayan flight 571 situation, imho

i wouldn't give east mississippi odds against UTEP

Yeah, when you're comparing different levels like that it's always more about the gap between the two teams' worst starters than the gap between their best starters.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Ronald Ollie is on the Raiders now . . . some of these guys do have a (miniscule) chance to go D1 and a few maybe even NFL. Mostly the guys that lost their D1 opportunities because of grades or behavior issues, which made up a large portion of the teams on LCU.

But yeah, I feel like more college players could use that sort of wake up call because by the numbers it's basically impossible unless you are a truly special athlete/talent who's dominated or come close to it at every level.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

the most famous juco success story is probably cam but by and large anyone that talented will not fall that far through the cracks unless they well and truly gently caress up

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Declan MacManus posted:

the most famous juco success story is probably cam but by and large anyone that talented will not fall that far through the cracks unless they well and truly gently caress up

Yeah working your way up through JUCO... well it does happen but not frequently. Usually it's a big name recruit who got kicked out due to grades or smoking weed and JUCO is the only place they can go

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Last Chance U really shows how lovely 9/10 football coaches are. Both Buddy Stephens and Jason Brown are garbage people in their own special ways.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I was a bit curious so I looked it up. Warren Moon was a JUCO player, as were Legarrette Blount, Jason Pierre-Paul, Lavonte David, OJ Simpson, Mike Rozier, Alvin Kamara (whoa, that one took me by surprise) and, as someone mentioned earlier, Cam Newton.

That's a decent little slice of names (and there are more besides) but if you divide it up by all the guys that play JUCO and want to go pro you're still looking at a tiny fraction of one percent.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

jaelen strong went juco to ASU instead of EMU or villanova which seems pretty wild

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
That loving cut was brilliant in episode... 5? The editing on this show honestly has been it's strongest feature and they straight murdered it this year.

I just finished, I need time to chew on this season

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Veskit posted:

That loving cut was brilliant in episode... 5? The editing on this show honestly has been it's strongest feature and they straight murdered it this year.

I just finished, I need time to chew on this season

I had to pause that I was laughing so hard. Amazing :allears:

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I haven't started the new season yet, still working on All or Nothing. Who's coaching? Is it a new guy? I thought Buddy and Brown had already gone the way of the dodo

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Brown is still around

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Veskit posted:

Brown is still around

So this was filmed before/during the hitler comment that I was told got him fired?

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Play posted:

So this was filmed before/during the hitler comment that I was told got him fired?

Before, yes.

Although he does make "Hitler" comments to the kid on the show itself like the idiot he is.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
A lot of the players on LCU are 'bounce backs' from DI colleges, many even Power 5. It is grades and other stuff sending them back.

What is this cut you guys are talking about? Is it when 2 or 3 players from the same position got injured in a row?

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Michael Corleone posted:

What is this cut you guys are talking about? Is it when 2 or 3 players from the same position got injured in a row?

The cut in questions is when they do a 80s training montage of practices and build everything up like a big comeback is about to happen, only to smash cut to "the Pirates lose ANOTHER one" (or whatever the PBP guy says).

Dango Bango fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jul 24, 2019

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Edit cut not a football cut

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i haven't watched since the second season, that coach was such a huge piece of poo poo that i couldn't stand seeing his dumb, lardly face waddling around practice yelling at people and then holding court for the cameras like he's some sort of coaching genius when he came up with get desperate D1 guys who flunked out or did crimes.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
This is genuinely the best show on television and the best since like the Sopranos or Deadwood or whatever

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

R.D. Mangles posted:

i haven't watched since the second season, that coach was such a huge piece of poo poo that i couldn't stand seeing his dumb, lardly face waddling around practice yelling at people and then holding court for the cameras like he's some sort of coaching genius when he came up with get desperate D1 guys who flunked out or did crimes.

It’s amazing how these guys have no self-awareness that there’s a reason they are stuck coaching JUCO.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

I found it amazing how the assistant coaches were actually way better at coaching than the blowhard head coaches. both Mississippi tubs and JB dont do any actual coaching. they just loving scream and talk down to the kids who unfortunately think that is coaching. loving build those kids up and motivate them through positive reinforcement you belligerent assholes.

I just finished season 4 last night and it was soooo clear that JB has no idea how to motivate people intrinsically and build community. Just yelling and threats

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

Bird in a Blender posted:

It’s amazing how these guys have no self-awareness that there’s a reason they are stuck coaching JUCO.

temporarily embarrased power five coaches

Play
Apr 25, 2006

EmbryoSteve posted:

I found it amazing how the assistant coaches were actually way better at coaching than the blowhard head coaches. both Mississippi tubs and JB dont do any actual coaching. they just loving scream and talk down to the kids who unfortunately think that is coaching. loving build those kids up and motivate them through positive reinforcement you belligerent assholes.

I just finished season 4 last night and it was soooo clear that JB has no idea how to motivate people intrinsically and build community. Just yelling and threats

Yeah that irritates me too much to really enjoy the show, especially after Brown came on. The players themselves are great and I really like following them, Brittany was great etc. but Buddy and Brown are just blowhard pieces of poo poo that don't know a drat thing about football and I hate listening to idiots scream at people.

Craig K posted:

temporarily embarrased power five coaches

lol

siriuslysomething
Feb 5, 2013

He's so fast!

(and probably broken)
Jeez this season is tough to watch. It's amazing how much of shithead JB is. I'm on episode 7 and it's wild how much the "winning cures everything" idea really applies. JB and Buddy were always lovely but this season was just so much worse because everyone was so pissed/stressed the whole time.

Also, he doesn't do poo poo for the kids it's all the assistant coaches and professors. It's wild the lack of self awareness.

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

The bonus episode is great

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Man I didn't think they made bigger assholes than Buddy, but JB really managed it.

JB spent the whole season going into fits on the sideline and then complained that his players weren't the epitome of emotional stability out there, that's one of the most hilarious things about it.

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug
I'm most of the way through the season and this season seems even more fantastic than the last few. I think it helps a ton that the team ends up being bad, because it leads to more interesting storylines than "and they won by 30 again". It seems like Netflix couldn't have made a better choice than Independence CC.

Unrelated, I see that EMCC won the last two national championships. I wonder how much the Netflix series might have helped recruiting.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I don't know why someone would want to go to EMCC after watching that show. Unless this is how most coaches are and kids are just used to it.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Unless this is how most coaches are and kids are just used to it.

unfortunately it’s that

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

I don't know why someone would want to go to EMCC after watching that show. Unless this is how most coaches are and kids are just used to it.

95% of football coaches are small-dicked tyrants, whether they're coaching a pop warner team or in the nfl

probably the sport that most attracts such men

Play
Apr 25, 2006

PupsOfWar posted:

95% of football coaches are small-dicked tyrants, whether they're coaching a pop warner team or in the nfl

Absolutely. I played football a couple years and the freshman coaches were completely incompetent, I mean my high school wasn't known for football and they'll basically take any tiny-dicked general contractor or construction company owner with a kid at the high school who wants to waste the time to do it. They didn't know a drat thing about football and basically relied on toxic masculinity to run the team. Just a bunch of loving nonsense. I don't think it was good for them either because the longer the season went on the more they acted like high school boys, I remember them being really cruel to this one kid and basically creating a little lord of the flies action within the team. They were real bad

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Has it been announced what team the next season will focus on? It's surely already been decided.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I feel bad for the ICC players. But this is tremendous content.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

PupsOfWar posted:

Yeah football is probably the major american sport in which the coaches have the most control over the game and the personalities it attracts shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dodadoodoo
Jun 15, 2007
Do you have a dad? I wanna meet that dad.
Lurking this thread turned me on to this show, currently on episode 3 of the first ICC season and goddamn this show is depressing as hell. It really gives me Friday Night Lights (the book) vibes with the lovely background these kids come from and this piece of poo poo coach using them up. The real gem so far has been Bobby Bruce and the english teacher. She's really giving her all to these kids.