Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
The C8 is here and the horses are in the back.
Post about how much you hate it or how you are definitely selling your C5 for 25k to buy it or how prices of the geriatricly owned right lane hog C7s are going to fall through the floor or whatever your pillow time fantasy is.

Also feel free to contribute any sort of information that you have on this car, on dealerships that are high Corvette volume, on your guesstimated dealer markups or how crowded your local golf course parking lot is going to be with these.

Things we know, kind of. (Feel free to add)

GM says under 60k. Let's we what the dealers say.
Claimed 495hp
All cars are now dry sump with a three stage scavenge pump
No stick, all dual clutch flappy paddle (GM says that it is a separate system from the ECU and when it is in manual mode the car cannot override the shift)

Z51 package (straight from the video, saved you 2 min)

What's the verdict before we see the car 1st hand?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

-I want to Leroy the first one that parks up a tree
-It makes a large number of boomers angry, which owns
-I can already see parts which are going to be fun to lego into other GM products, if GM doesn't do it already
-I still want a smog-era C3 more, but I'm weird
-Sixty Thousand loving Dollars

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I love everything but the no manual. I'm assuming that is due to the linkages needed.
We'll get dealer markup for a while, but the C8 will be high volume enough that after a year or so, I bet you'll be able to do MSRP or better on the base ones.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The only thing about that I don't like is the huge ugly intake manifold/cover, what's going on there?

NumbersMatching320 posted:

-I can already see parts which are going to be fun to lego into other GM products, if GM doesn't do it already
How about making a FWD Corvette with this drivetrain?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

The outside looks great, although in a generic '10s hypercar vein.

Unfortunately, you have to drive the car from the interior, which took a stop at Buttons R Us and built a button wall between the driver and passenger. :barf:

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Steering wheel also looks a bit funky, and that yard o' buttons... :barf:

Still, mid engined 500hp V8 for that price...

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

lol they know that most the time the only person in the c8 will be the driver.

but 500hp:eyepop:
Wonder what it can do with a hot cam.
And I also wonder if theyre going to go twin turbo or twin rotary supercharger for the Z06 equivalent. seeing how mid engine packaging is very conducive to the twin snail layout.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Jul 22, 2019

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Rigged Death Trap posted:

lol they know that most the time the only person in the c8 will be the driver.

but 500hp:eyepop:
Wonder what it can do with a hot cam.
And I also wonder if theyre going to go twin turbo or twin rotary supercharger for the Z06 equivalent. seeing how mid engine packaging is very conducive to the twin snail layout.

Has there been a mid-engine car with a supercharger scoop sticking out above the roof line? I want them to do that.

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

The C8 is confirmed as coming to Australia with factory RHD models being done in the states. I bet it'll end up being $200k AUD. If by some miracle it hits Australian shores under $120k then sign me the gently caress up. I think i'm ready for a mid-life crisis, have been doing too many track days recently, drive a bogan overpriced LS3 powered GM product already and my penis is below average in length, it's like they built this thing specially for me.

I think it looks fantastic, and i'm not the biggest fan of the current gen Camaro styling. Our choices over here now that our fun domestic V8's are dead have been $60-70k AUD for Mustang GT's or $90-100k AUD for Camaro's that have been locally RHD converted, neither of which interest me all that much at those prices.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
the steering wheel is bad and the tail lights look very camaro-ish and kinda bad but i assume that will get fixed easily in the aftermarket

the button column is hilarious and awful and probably the only not fixable part but again sub-70k for the performance package

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
The people happiest about this are the service advisers because book time is gonna go way up for warranty work.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Don Lapre posted:

The people happiest about this are the service advisers because book time is gonna go way up for warranty work.

I was thinking that, too. Even in the cutaway car servicing the engine looks problematic, I can only imagine how that changes when you add body panels / undertray.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I'm digging the exterior. The interior is hopefully something that looks better in the flesh. May be the first vette that kind of appeals to me and may look at one in the future.

Do we have a timeline yet when they're coming out? Is the C7 the shortest generation of Vette?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

slidebite posted:

I'm digging the exterior. The interior is hopefully something that looks better in the flesh. May be the first vette that kind of appeals to me and may look at one in the future.

Do we have a timeline yet when they're coming out? Is the C7 the shortest generation of Vette?
Early 2020 is what I've seen from GM

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

meatpimp posted:

I was thinking that, too. Even in the cutaway car servicing the engine looks problematic, I can only imagine how that changes when you add body panels / undertray.

On the C6 c7 the hood was just for showing off the engine anyway. You do almost anything from the bottom. But yeah, doing a belt looks like a pain in the rear end.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I want one without the body on it.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Waiting on C7 prices to hit rock bottom myself.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Maybe I'm blind, but where the gently caress is the gear shift? I know it's auto-only and it's bound to be an electronic thing so it doesn't need to be traditionally-designed but I still don't see one. Is it under that little flappy thing on the central pillar? Is it that cluster of buttons on the left side? The uppermost one looks like it has a P on it.

Edit: yeah it's the button cluster on the left. Ok then.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

https://youtu.be/NZGCJu2OaAg

Jay took off his Canadian Tuxedo for this, so you know it's a special event.

e: It doesn't really sound very good at the end.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jul 22, 2019

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
It's really weird seeing him like that, it's like if someone shaved your dog as a surprise

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I want one without the body on it.

C8 Vettekart, on episode 452 of Roadkill

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

net work error posted:

Waiting on C7 prices to hit rock bottom myself.

I told myself the same thing for C6 prices when the c7 came out and it just never really happened. Prices just continue to depreciate with time and miles.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I think it’s 490 HP base and 495 HP with the Z51 package.

I don’t see dealer markups lasting real long. Chevy presumably is gearing up to poo poo out 50,000 of these things a year.

I’ll get one if I fit in it and haven’t suffered a financial meltdown. Im 6’6” and fit okay in the C6 but real bad in the C7 and I’m guessing the C8 isn’t going to be great but maybe if I can lose some rear end padding it’ll be doable.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014
bold to make a ferrari 360 with an allegro steering wheel

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

This is good. I have a set of 5x120.6 work vsxx 3pc wheels that I am definitely holding on to now

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Somewhat decent set of pictures here from a SD event:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forum...cajon-ca-2.html

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi
The massive button column is at least an improvement over the randomly scattered blanks of shame/poverty you end up with in a 911 or whatever.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

bird with big dick posted:

I think it’s 490 HP base and 495 HP with the Z51 package.

I don’t see dealer markups lasting real long. Chevy presumably is gearing up to poo poo out 50,000 of these things a year.

I’ll get one if I fit in it and haven’t suffered a financial meltdown. Im 6’6” and fit okay in the C6 but real bad in the C7 and I’m guessing the C8 isn’t going to be great but maybe if I can lose some rear end padding it’ll be doable.

One thing they said about making it mid engine is they don't have to compromise for tall people. You'll have to verify of course, but apparently the footwell is super deep.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

re: the button column; Think of it this way, every button is something you don't have to stumble around a clunky-rear end touchscreen interface to do.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
Some of the early renders had the entire center console as a touch screen and I hated it so much.

I borrowed a Tesla for a couple of days from a friend of mine, and I loved driving it but the touch screen everything was horrible.

bird cooch fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jul 23, 2019

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

No pure coupe? Targa if not a convertible?

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

slidebite posted:

No pure coupe? Targa if not a convertible?

Don't think there's been a "pure" coupe since the C6? Every C7 had a removable roof I believe.

Kind of impressive they can get all the rigidity they need without the roof, though I guess the question would be whether the car could be lighter if they were using the roof as structure.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
C6 z06 could still be unbolted, it just didn't have quick latches

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
It really annoys me (as it has for years) that you can't get a base Corvette with a regular solid, fixed roof. GM execs and marketing suits will point to the low sales of the C5 generation fixed roof coupe, which was butt-rear end ugly and only available as a manual (which, regardless of whether you like automatics, excludes a big chunk of potential sales).

Edit: for the, C8, I can't tell for sure, but it looks to me like outward visibility is going to suck rear end... maybe that's to be expected. But the dashboard looks 5 feet deep, like a 4th gen f-body. Why does it need that much dashboard?

Number_6 fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jul 23, 2019

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
I can't wait to get to drive one in a couple years because I'm pretty sure my mother is gonna buy one. Never driven something mid-engined.

And hey, finally a good looking Corvette. They haven't managed that since the 70s.

Resting Lich Face fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jul 23, 2019

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I love it and I love the button wall.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
Having trouble deciding between red/black or blue/silver color combos

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

The Big Jesus posted:

Having trouble deciding between red/black or blue/silver color combos

White with a red interior. Black wheels.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I've always been partial to red with a tan interior.

Resting Lich Face posted:

I can't wait to get to drive one in a couple years because I'm pretty sure my mother is gonna buy one. Never driven something mid-engined.

And hey, finally a good looking Corvette. They haven't managed that since the 70s.
I know different strokes and all that, but I don't think I've ever heard the C3 gen and "good looking" in the same sentence before.

Super Soaker Party! posted:

Don't think there's been a "pure" coupe since the C6? Every C7 had a removable roof I believe.

Kind of impressive they can get all the rigidity they need without the roof, though I guess the question would be whether the car could be lighter if they were using the roof as structure.
I did not know that. Not a big vette guy :shobon:

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

slidebite posted:

I've always been partial to red with a tan interior.

I've got red with tan interior right now. Doesn't look right on the vette tho, at least not in their online thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

FBS posted:

I love it and I love the button wall.

Same also same