Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

This Wednesday July 24 is the premier of the 2019 season of Survivor Australia. And they are bringing back last years theme of Champions Vs. Contenders that had a 60+ year old former olympic swimmer take home the victory.

I feel it's a good enough show to warrant it's own thread and not poo poo up the US Survivor discussion thread :)

For those unfamiliar, The show is basically the same as US Survivor. Except it starts with 24 Survivors and usually runs 50 days on the island. The show also has longer episodes where everyone usually gets screen time. Which is amazing at the beginning of the season and kind of drags on a bit toward the end of the season.

In addition to the longer episodes, there is often 2 episodes per week and it looks like at least for the start of this season, they are running 5 episodes the first week... With a new episode on Wednesday, Thursday, Sunday, Monday, & Tuesday.

This year brings back the "People's Champion" of Survivor Australia, which is Luke that was in the 2nd season of the new series of Survivor Australia.

As for where to watch, I dunno, hopefully some others here can drop some non rule breaking tips on how to watch this show...

Anyway, on to the cast!

Here is the cast for this season!

CHAMPIONS

ANDREW (ET), 53: NRL LEGEND

“I never thought I would ever have the chance to go on Survivor. Playing in the Champions team is awesome and to me this is a once in a lifetime opportunity.”

JANINE, 53: CEO POWERHOUSE

“I think anyone can win. I am well prepared and have studied many game plays, I am adaptable but you also need a bit of luck.”

LUKE, 33: PEOPLE’S CHAMPION

“You only regret what you don’t do. I’m gonna play hard and take the piss out of people.”

NOVA, 48: FORMER POLITICIAN AND OLYMPIAN

“Of course, I think I can win. I have had to get along with people my whole life. My social skills are very good and I’m mentally tough. Nothing much phases me!”

PIA, 45: LEADING ACTOR

“I have been watching Survivor since the first season in 2000 and I’ve been sitting on the couch for almost 20 years saying I could win so I guess now is my chance! I really want to play as a fan and be someone that a fan would enjoy watching.”

ROSS, 53: BIG WAVE SURFER

“Hopefully I’ll be a nice guy and worthy like Mat Rogers. I hope I keep my mouth shut like Shane Gould and have fun like Brian Lake.”

SIMON, 39: AFL SUPERSTAR

“I’ve watched the show and was always intrigued by it. I’ve always been competitive and wondered how I’d go on something like it.”

STEVEN, 45: OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALIST

“It’s amazing the power a human can draw on when you’re put into a life and death situation and I’m so competitive by nature that I will use these skills to my advantage.”

SUSIE, 44: MARATHON SWIMMER

“I was so mentally strong in my marathon swimming career, I think I am prepared and probably better trained to take on the types of challenges Survivor throws at us.”

ANASTASIA: MEMORY CHAMPION

“Survivor is such an amazing overall challenge, both physical and mental. I will use my memory skills to retain information about events and other competitors to use to my advantage.”

ABBEY, 28: AFL PREMIERSHIP WINNER

“I loved the series last year and thought it would be an unbelievable challenge and experience. I hate the feeling of ‘content’ and I am always looking for new challenges.”

DAVID, 39: INTERNATIONAL MODEL

“I might try to make a fake Idol, pretend I’m not a fan of the show if I think it will get me further.”

CONTENDERS

ANDY, 47: MARKETING EXECUTIVE

“I don’t just want to win, I want to win big in the most memorable way than anybody has ever won before. The only thing Australian Survivor is missing is an unbelievably compelling and memorable villain as a winner.”

BADEN, 23: STUDENT

“I think I’ll pull my own weight on the physical challenges but what I really think I can do is the puzzles. They do put a huge target on your back if you mess them up but I think I’ll do well at them.”

CASEY, 31: EDUCATOR

“Unlike most people, I feel discomfort when things are too comfortable or routine. Survivor is the most uncomfortable thing I can do.”

HANNAH, 27: POLICE OFFICER

“Every day at work, I am out of my comfort zone and having to think on my feet, so I know I can win. I think this because everyone is going to overlook me because of my personality and assume I’m not there to play hard. I’ll be the threat they don’t see, right in front of them.”

LAURA, 31: DIGITAL MARKETING MANAGER

“I love to prove people wrong and there’s a few who think I will crack under pressure and the onslaught of bugs!”

SAM, 30: VIP GAMING MANAGER

“I’m mentally very resilient but I mostly know how to get what I need from people, how to make people feel comfortable and I have a big social strength.”

DAISY, 24: TRAVEL AGENT

“I think people who have faced adversity tend to be more resilient and yes, that’s me as a battler and I think the Contenders will all be like that.”

HARRY, 30: ICE CREAM MAKER

“I’ve always loved the show since I was a kid but more recently I’ve just had the realisation that I don’t have to think of things as just a dream. It’s why I became an ice cream maker and why I applied for Survivor. Now I see the things I want and just go for it.

JOHN, 28: GOLD MINER

“I can make friends easily and am able to spot a snake in the grass so I hope I can do that on the island.”

MATT, 29: HIGH SCHOOL TEACHER/PRO WRESTLER

“I know I can win this. And I want to be at that final Tribal Council with someone who I can beat easily, which I’ll have already done by beating all worthy competitors.”

SARAH, 45: CLEANER

“I hopefully will show people the joy and wonders of life that can be gained if we take risks when we get off our bums and out of the comfort zone.”

SHAUN, 31: RETIRED AFL PLAYER

“Besides the fact that I really didn’t achieve anything great in football, I have a lot of determination and drive to still leave a mark. I love this show and this is my chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Thanks for the write up! I’m super excited for this but oh my god five episodes in the first week. That’s a whole lot of Survivor.

If your Pony isn’t Luke then I don’t know what to say.

Dugong fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jul 22, 2019

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Yea it is, and with the way they usually do their episodes, it's probably drat near 8 hours of Survivor... Without commercials if Australia has those...

Also, looking forward to watching the "Memory Champion" fail at a puzzle.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'm wondering if there's a good place to watch these as they come out or if it's a deal where you have to scum mysterious facebook groups and frustratingly titled metacafe videos?

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jul 23, 2019

Teckiwi
Dec 7, 2006

Khanstant posted:

I'm wondering if there's a good place to watch these as they come out or if it's a deal where you have to scum mysterious facebook groups and frustratingly titled metacafe videos?

vpns or dns workarounds, uncle torrence etc

5 episodes lol, Aussies are insane and I love it.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, this opening week is going to be brutal, but at least it will settle down once The Bachelor and and whatever is taking over from Masterchef starts.

I share the concerns of the chick from the RHAP preview podcast with the whole "This is about retribution/We are going to go back to back" tribalism that is being pushed. Why does a contender give a poo poo if Shane Gould won last season? What does a rando ex celebrity this season care who won last season? Hoping this is the producers pushing this angle and not an actual thing the contestants think, otherwise we could be in for a pretty stale game with no one prepared to flip.

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways
After listening interview with the host, he wasn't big fan either of the reoccurring theme but the channel 10 pushed it as they thought it was the theme that got so many more viewers to watch it last season.
He also mentions that he thought last season people didn't play as hard but the editing made up for it and that this season the game-play is consistent throughout the game and it's suppose to be on par with Season 2 (The one with Jericho, Luke, Michelle).

So with that being said let's hope for some awesomeness out of this season as the US version is in dark ages.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

If the gameplay is cool again, it's probably because Luke is back.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Holy smokes, the player intro is epic compared to US. Rolling clouds of smoke, an 18-wheeler in the dusty night chugs towards the camera, the new breed of contender walk along a bridge dramatically lit. Cut to scenes of misty jungle, hazily lit through the the morning sun. The champions wading through a jungle river like they're in Apocalypse Now.

So far players have been some kind of outback ranch girl, then some kind of Mad Max australian redneck guy who is presumably some kind of sex pervert. Actually he kind of looks like the neighbor from Office Space. Lawrence!

Oh okay wait, now it's a lady with a vacuum hahahaha. Even so, the production on this has a ton more gravitas. I watched part of the russel season and I guess I just missed that aspect then.

Some kind of sad backstory person.

Heheheh 666 guy, rad way to start your bio. Devilman!

BoostJuice? Never heard of it but I can tell what it is and it's horseshit I hate it. Seems like a badass lady anyway.

I can't tell if this guy is one or two dudes, spy shack guy. Don't care about him. Okay it's one dude, but I guess he's a capital C character. Like a Tony type maybe? There's some cheekiness going on that's over my head because I ain't caught up on olds.

I guess one of these people are the winners, nobody else got a sweet intro. Nvm, they do get them just later.

These guys proposing a "sports team" but they seem like averse to calling it an alliance, despite it being exactly what they're discussing doing. Weird.

The contenders don't have fire, so they soaked beans overnight. I didn't know you could even eat them like that, one guy got sick but I think that's just him being a baby.

I keep missing her name, the lady who keeps cooking up the orange squash thing, she seems sketchy and really lurky. Don't like. Oh I missed the first time her story, well politician makes sense with my impression. She did seem to kind of real lowkey call the shot by individual dealing and she dodged a direct question with a very meaningless political answer. Nova!

Goodbye Anastasia. Nobody even got to try your cooking, you blew it.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jul 25, 2019

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Luke is the best, "Senior citizen alliance"

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

The pushing / tug of war variant for the reward challenge is pretty drat cool. Possibly better than anything US Survivor has managed to put up for a new challenge in a while.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
That type of challenge would be so psychologically deflating. So much effort and you don't budge and the minute you start to go backwards you'd just panic at how insurmountable things are. Kind of like the "run around in water with bags on to try and catch the other team doing the same thing" challenge.

Surprised they used that challenge in the premier after the injury disaster that was the first (very similar) challenge in HvV. Next they'll be doing Schmergen Brawl.

Elphiem
Dec 4, 2005

CFC Fan
Hope the producers aren't helping Luke, seems a bit suspect

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
I’m skipping through it for now because I don’t have almost 2 hrs to dedicate to this show multiple times a week.

Low key going for Pia because she was in ‘Looking for Allibrandi’.

Also I want the Boost Juice woman to go crazy-eyes scrambling.
‘Look, if you vote with me, I’ll give you TWO regular juices and a kid sized juice.... and a cacao ball!’

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I can't believe they actually managed to flip them both.... Like, that episode was shaing up to be the most generic straightforward boot with a bunch of fake tension that you can see straight through and the WHAM, it actually happens.

Elphiem posted:

Really?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Oh man, watching Sarah not jump was really painful. I felt for her up to a point, and that point was when even she should have become so embarrassed by herself that her only option was to run screaming to escape her own shame field. I really hope she gets voted off soon but failing that hard has a way of paying off it seems. The cross-tribe idol thing isn't the worst idol gimmick I've seen, having just finished ghost island, but until a merge or tribe swap-em-ups how could you even try to really use it and does it work post-merge or swaps?

This challenge with the wave and ball into a bucket, like a weird kind of skeeball looks like it would be a great bar game on a patio. They should copy that for US Survivor.

I think violence is bad, but I kind of want to see Abbey shove that weasel man over a log or something. I had missed Abbey's bio but drat she seems pretty badass, do we even have a women's football league, meanwhile Australia has hard-mode football going on for real.

I'm really happy to see Nova go, never tolerate politicians.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Khanstant posted:

I think violence is bad, but I kind of want to see Abbey shove that weasel man over a log or something. I had missed Abbey's bio but drat she seems pretty badass, do we even have a women's football league, meanwhile Australia has hard-mode football going on for real.

I'm really happy to see Nova go, never tolerate politicians.
As much as I'm rotting against the old sporty alliance, Steve got thrown under the bus big time with that. His comments 100% were taken the wrong way. It was literally:

:v: "Why didn't you vote the way you said you would?"
:j: *gives explanation* "Does that make sense?"
:v: "Nope...Not at all"
:j: "Well...."
:v: "Weak..."
:j: "What is?"
:v: "that..."
:j: Why?
:v: You pulled rank on the whole team and jumped."

And even after clarifying, her allies are like "She's entitled to play the game however she wants" No poo poo she's allowed to, but he's allowed to not like it.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Andrew_1985 posted:

I’m skipping through it for now because I don’t have almost 2 hrs to dedicate to this show multiple times a week.

Low key going for Pia because she was in ‘Looking for Allibrandi’.

Also I want the Boost Juice woman to go crazy-eyes scrambling.
‘Look, if you vote with me, I’ll give you TWO regular juices and a kid sized juice.... and a cacao ball!’

I'll often fast forward through the repetitive or long comps but it's going to be tough to keep up with all the episodes. A lot of interesting characters so far, and the extra episode length provides a lot more camp life than the US show.

It's fascinating to me that the challenges are beautiful complex and elaborate and the team immunity idol looks like a staffer's kid found a skull buried in dirt and was given a hot glue gun to bedazzle it.

And...Steve Bradbury's gold medal win

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fFnSRKUBFU

"You're going to be on tv again Luke, choose your shirts with that in mind..."

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jul 31, 2019

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,

drat, episodes 4 and 5 were truly great

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Really glad I stopped watching Big Brother aka The Awful People Show.
Freed up time to watch this and its far more entertaining. And thus far all the HII shenanigans have been a lot of fun.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Elphiem posted:

Suspect how? He didn't go look for the clue in that raft until several hours later when it was night, so anyone could have beaten him to it, and another player is the one that pointed out the stump to him. I noticed David was actually the one that found it there and Luke immediately took it from his hand and was like "Yeah!!! we did it!" and then it was just Luke's idol :lol:

Looten Plunder posted:

I can't believe they actually managed to flip them both.... Like, that episode was shaing up to be the most generic straightforward boot with a bunch of fake tension that you can see straight through and the WHAM, it actually happens.
Abbey and Ross probably really did believe that vote would make the team stronger, but I'd also say it happened because that sporting alliance was a day one deal just thrown together based on their professions, and that Abbey and Ross noticed as time went on that they really meshed much better with the other group and it made a lot more sense to go that way. It was funny in Tribal Council when Steve said something like, "The alliance should be good, I talked to Abbey yesterday so I've talked to everyone in the alliance now." Yeah, sounds like a real iron-clad alliance dude! :waycool:

Looten Plunder posted:

As much as I'm rotting against the old sporty alliance, Steve got thrown under the bus big time with that. His comments 100% were taken the wrong way. It was literally:

:v: "Why didn't you vote the way you said you would?"
:j: *gives explanation* "Does that make sense?"
:v: "Nope...Not at all"
:j: "Well...."
:v: "Weak..."
:j: "What is?"
:v: "that..."
:j: Why?
:v: You pulled rank on the whole team and jumped."

And even after clarifying, her allies are like "She's entitled to play the game however she wants" No poo poo she's allowed to, but he's allowed to not like it.
He didn't really go too far or anything like that, in my view, but I still thought his entire criticism shows that he doesn't really "get it" in terms of Survivor. If you think people ought to tell you beforehand when they're flipping on you then prepared to be disappointed all game long. And he wasn't going at her for it being a bad move so much as just for flipping at all, which, again, hey, it's Survivor.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Aug 2, 2019

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I like that the reward challenges all favor the gently caress out of the Champions, but the immunity challenges go to The contenders and the "Super Fan" that knows all the throwing games.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I like that the reward challenges all favor the gently caress out of the Champions, but the immunity challenges go to The contenders and the "Super Fan" that knows all the throwing games.

Some players think they're so clever because they practice starting fires, or learning to swim, before going on Survivor.
  • Casual: watches the show, maybe talks about it with family, friends or at work.
  • Fan: watches the show, posts online, listens to a podcast or two.
  • Superfan: can list winners in specific seasons, recall seasons boot orders, go into detail about significant winning strategies and big plays.
  • Utlrafan: all of the above PLUS spent years practicing as many of the various challenges as possible in his backyard. Throwing bean bags, balancing, putting together 3d puzzles, etc etc.

When Russell was on Survivor AU he bragged and boasted and claimed, "I'm the only one here who even knows how to play", but so far Andrew is really walking the walk and it is great TV.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Through episode 5,

David calling himself a golden god is absolutely hilarious levels of arrogance and villainy, he was channeling Dennis Reynolds straight up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5_-HnVhKlw

The move to scam an idol from Shaun was a fun one, although not necessarily good. I like that he got Janine onboard (don't know why she agreed to it), and if the fake is good enough, he might not get exposed for quite awhile if ever. In that way it could end up being worth the big lie. If the fake isn't good enough, though, it's probably trouble and not worth the move. Even worse is probably concocting an elaborate fake story about what's been going on in the Champions tribe, which will absolutely be exposed quickly and reveal he's full of poo poo to the Contenders, who outnumber his people.

Andy is a great character. I love watching him toss and throw things in every single episode and I love how well that meshes with his bright douche clothes and golf visor. His smooth tossing motions are so reminiscent of a golfer exporting their swing into other sports that it sells his fake story really well, even though the fake story wasn't really necessary.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,

The reward section from the latest episode was quite possibly one of the best scenes of Survivor I’ve watched. Loving this season so far.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Just finished episode 13 and I'm convinced Pia is the winner. They've been giving her such a winner's edit and dropping hints left and right ever since the first episode.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Good season but since there's not a lot of discussion going on here I'll just dump some random thoughts from the last couple weeks

-The brutal physical challenges early are fun but make it really hard for women to make it to merge. The swimming against the current challenge was so simple that I thought it was very cool, though. Was it me or in that stacking challenge was Daisy screaming and berating Baden for pushing the tower while he was literally saving it from certain collapse? RIP Roscoe

-Agree with Pia being a good winner pick. The Champions women really blew up Dave a little prematurely though, exposing his fake idol to get him in trouble and then having to throw a challenge to save him. What?? And would they really have voted out Simon? They're playing way too "Champions strong!!" to go around risking pre-merge Champions numbers like that, but I think having got the majority post-merge, they've made it past the danger area they created, and that tribe lines will now begin to blur

-Contenders tribe and its splits were very under edited early on. I feel like Harry/Andy/Sam(who?) were way more on the outs than we were shown. Wild that when they were down 5-3 on Contenders2 and Harry had an idol, they couldn't even manage to vote together. Lots of idols for Harry, bordering on too much, and a lot of hilarious scheming, but I think he's liked a bit more and narrowly avoids being too Max Dawson the way Andy was. Dave of course is the breakout character of this season

-Speaking of Andy... This guy ended up being a trainwreck. Kept throwing out wild plans even after he'd lost all purchase with his tribemates. I didn't hate his scheme to get out Daisy, and thought it was a bit iffy that Dave and Luke chose to believe Andy they were being targeted, but still not follow Andy's plan to vote Daisy. It just goes to show, though, that they preferred to vote out Daisy's closest ally and then try to work with her after to actually working with Andy.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Aug 21, 2019

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Andy thought he would play the game David is having.
Andy thought he would have the game David is playing.

Something like that. I really like the extended running time, it gives us more conversations and longer tribals.

"In this game the fire of chaos burns bright
get too close
and you could be set alight. "

-Jonathan

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

David is an all-time player/character. I like how he got like 10 consecutive episodes with "tempting fate" confessionals about how he was running the show and couldn't possibly go home.

The "stay under this grate we built in the ocean and try not to drown" challenge is always anxiety-inducing but this was the most insane one ever I think.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
"Jeanine I hear the wheels ticking."

-Jonathan.

Jury villa has some fun moments.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7hzljy

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Learned that the Simon vote off was actually a lot more complicated than it seemed. We saw Simon targeting Luke hard during the reward, and then that plan being shuttered when they got back to camp. We were mostly shown Janine arguing against it, but there was implicit blame pointed at Abbey also because it was seemingly in motion until they got back to the beach, and Abbey was the only person at the beach they needed to bring in. So we basically got all that from the show, but what we didn't see was:

Simon was upset Abbey had spiked his plan, and reached out to the other men to target Abbey. I'm not sure how he ended up turning around his stance on Luke so quickly, but that would have made it Luke, Simon, Harry, and Baden as a 4, carrying the vote against whatever Janine, Pia, and Abbey ended up doing. Meanwhile Abbey was willing to target Simon, using those same three men.

This made the trio of Luke, Harry and Baden the swing votes: Do they want to side with Simon or Abbey in this showdown? Either way they have the votes. The show omitted that Simon literally voted for Abbey in that TC. It ended up being a 4-2-1 vote. If Abbey hadn’t been willing to vote Simon, the guys could have voted with Simon and she could literally be out of the game!

In a way though, the show's narrative was also true, because once the Luke/Harry/Baden hinge swings onto Simon, Abbey did technically have the power to go back and vote with Pia and Janine to go 3-3-1 (if Simon still votes Abbey) and then carry the re-vote.

Anyway this extra info makes Abbey's flip a lot better since she took out someone who was voting against her, and also shows the Champs were breaking apart even more than we knew. Kind of bums me out when I find out the show leaves out big pieces like this or the Sam/Daisy feud early on.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Sep 5, 2019

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Daisy to Simon: "You are not who I expected to walk through the door". Uh, you're on a barren beach Daisy - what door? LOL.
Exile Beach and their comp took up a lot of time so I guess production had to leave out some strategic discussions..
I thought Simon might have to go back to Exile and then battle the next player voted out.

Harry made a good observation at TC: "There's seven left here and every one has a plan of how they weave their way to the end. But along the path comes a lot of crossover where things actually align."

And - so many idols have been in play, every time the camera pans to a coconut or tree or inside the shelter I try to see if there's a hidden idol in the shot.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Feel behind at the beginning of the season, have been waiting to get caught up to catch up on the thread again.

It's a very weird season of Survivor. Like it's a good season and fun to watch. But there's also probably not that much about the season that will be remembered later on.

The cast is good and the challenges quite honestly have almost all been better than what the US version has been putting out. Especially the simple swim against the current challenge, even though it seems like it probably wasn't the most balanced challenge with the survivors being pushed toward the platform a bit.

Also doing the "stay under the grate while the ocean rises" at sunset is probably pretty crazy. Although it was pretty light on the show, I'd imagine it was getting reasonably dark toward the end, really gently caress with someone's head.

Luke, Harry, and Janine have really been great on the show. And honestly, I can't really fault anyone that's left at this point too much.

Teckiwi
Dec 7, 2006
so 2 episodes next week then a finale night the next week or something? any word yet

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

They really half-rear end hiding idols and advantages on this version of the show it feels like. I would've been a bit annoyed at Luke being gifted safety with that advantage but as it happened he gritted out a tense immunity win, and it actually ended up being pretty cool how he used the twist.

I figured out what he was doing right away, but I don't know why he complicated things so much by sending out Baden instead of just protecting Pia from the jump. Maybe he was afraid they would have voted out Baden as the weakest competitor, and this was the best way to get out Abbey. Or maybe he was just showing off.

It was the best possible result for him though: Keeping around Pia, who might might vote with him at 4, while getting out the biggest challenge threat. He's also pretty much a lock to beat everyone now, if he wasn't already. He'll still probably have to win out to get to the end, and Pia could sneak up on him in that F3 endurance challenge if he wins F4, but there's not a lot of really good challenge people still playing against him.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Protecting Pia still meant that Harry/Baden/Abbey get some agency on who to vote out amongst themselves. By eliminating Baden, it swings power entirely to him and Pia on who to send home.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Yea, Luke played that poo poo incredibly well. Even got Abby and Harry to not vote together... Could have easily had a situation where the person without votes got sent home...

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Australian Media isn’t subtle when cross promoting reality tv. They always have an array of positive articles about the eventual winner throughout the season.

Simply going on that, Pia will win.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Andrew_1985 posted:

Australian Media isn’t subtle when cross promoting reality tv. They always have an array of positive articles about the eventual winner throughout the season.

Simply going on that, Pia will win.

Baden ignored your warning. Although even if he'd taken Harry to the end he probably wouldn't have won.

And in other news, Luke was voted out in 4th place and ended up with more cash than the actual winner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

That's cool, Luke is awesome.

I hadn't really considered the possibility of Baden winning the final immunity and taking Pia, but it made sense I guess. I think she was a bigger jury threat than Harry was, but Harry had the same story as Baden except better, whereas with Pia there was at least more of a contrast in their path. She was pretty savage at that FTC, and yeah, not exactly a surprising winner. Even absent Australian media, I think she had that "winner's edit" throughout.

I think she's a great player though, and I liked how she rejected the "I lurked and waited for the right moment" narrative that usually wins (even though it was sort of accurate) to insist on an "I was always playing but you just didn't see me" angle. It's a much stronger argument and it rang true whereas Baden didn't have much to go on.